Magic Kingdom to test mobile phone charging lockers for guest use

Rob562

Just read your post. What I don't get is why it asks what type of phone you have if the connectors are inside. Is it just to say, "Yep! We have that!" or "Sorry, we don't have that." My parents, for example, wouldn't have a clue what to answer anyway, even looking at the picture. They would just swipe a card and find a cord that fits.

Presumably the system only powers up the proper connector for the chosen locker. That's how it knows that the phone is almost fully charged and can display a green light. Otherwise, you'd get people shoving an iPod, iPhone 5 and a Samsung into a single locker, use up all three cords and the system wouldn't know what the heck to display...

-Rob

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Those were in-house construction though right, not 3rd party like the ones they are testing?
I guess if the test is a success (which it likely will be), with a large-order, they could put some constraints on any orders they make (interface with MB, look a certain way, etc), or they could build themed "shells" to wrap around the devices. Or, they could save money and just throw them in the stores.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Those were in-house construction though right, not 3rd party like the ones they are testing?
I guess if the test is a success (which it likely will be), with a large-order, they could put some constraints on any orders they make (interface with MB, look a certain way, etc), or they could build themed "shells" to wrap around the devices. Or, they could save money and just throw them in the stores.
LOL yep any and all of those are possibles.

G00fyDad

Just my two cents but, my guess as to why they are using credit cards is so they do not have to switch the infrastructure or software around when they decide to start charging for this. Otherwise, since the MB's are fully rolled out now why not just go ahead and use them? They could have done that just as easily as set it up for credit cards, but they chose the credit cards.

arko

Just my two cents but, my guess as to why they are using credit cards is so they do not have to switch the infrastructure or software around when they decide to start charging for this. Otherwise, since the MB's are fully rolled out now why not just go ahead and use them? They could have done that just as easily as set it up for credit cards, but they chose the credit cards.

they are using credit cards because that it what the machines support out of the box, Other than some software tweaks the machines appear identical to the ones in the manufacturers video and website.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Otherwise, since the MB's are fully rolled out now why not just go ahead and use them? They could have done that just as easily as set it up for credit cards, but they chose the credit cards.

No way - the system as it is, is self-sufficient and requires no integration with anything. It's 'drop and go' except maybe internet access if it actual validates cards (which it might not even do since it's not charging, just using the card as a personal token). All they had to do here was work with the company to customize the screens how they want.. and physically install them to pilot it.

If they were to incorporate the MBs... they would have had to had RFID hardware.. they would have had to redesign the kiosk system... then they would have had to interface it to the Disney specific POS network. In theory since they aren't charging, they could have skipped the last part and just used your RFID as a token... but they couldn't support all scenarios then (like when MBs are replaced) or billing.

Remember this is just a test... later iterations could offer Disney specific customization.

Mouse_Trap

I think a programmable code like the various regular lockers around the park is better. You make it up right there. You know what the code is. Unlike storing credit card number (or even MBs attached to an account). Who knows what's done with those credit card numbers?

Have you ever seen the issues at Universal where you have to remember you locker number in a bank of a few hundred lockers. Between that an some dodgy fingerprint scanners, they need an attendant to constsantly patrol them to resolve issues.

No way - the system as it is, is self-sufficient and requires no integration with anything. It's 'drop and go' except maybe internet access if it actual validates cards (which it might not even do since it's not charging, just using the card as a personal token). All they had to do here was work with the company to customize the screens how they want.. and physically install them to pilot it.

If they were to incorporate the MBs... they would have had to had RFID hardware.. they would have had to redesign the kiosk system... then they would have had to interface it to the Disney specific POS network. In theory since they aren't charging, they could have skipped the last part and just used your RFID as a token... but they couldn't support all scenarios then (like when MBs are replaced) or billing.

Remember this is just a test... later iterations could offer Disney specific customization.

They won't be validating the card, it's just like some hotel safes they are just finding a string of numbers that somebody else is unlikely to have.

I hope they later take the opportunity to properly integrate these, both visually and with MBs. I still can't work out either why only one connector can be used at a time, or else why are the slots so big? Unless they are intended to accommodate tablets, I can work this out.

dstrawn9889

Have you ever seen the issues at Universal where you have to remember you locker number in a bank of a few hundred lockers. Between that an some dodgy fingerprint scanners, they need an attendant to constsantly patrol them to resolve issues.

They won't be validating the card, it's just like some hotel safes they are just finding a string of numbers that somebody else is unlikely to have.

I hope they later take the opportunity to properly integrate these, both visually and with MBs. I still can't work out either why only one connector can be used at a time, or else why are the slots so big? Unless they are intended to accommodate tablets, I can work this out.
big, fat hands are the reason for the large space, not all of us have dishwashing soap commercial hands....

flynnibus

Premium Member

It can work both ways.. and why I said 'personal token'. It's not as secure, but is cheaper in that it avoids merchant bank stuff and makes the unit 'self standing' in that it doesn't need network.

I still can't work out either why only one connector can be used at a time, or else why are the slots so big? Unless they are intended to accommodate tablets, I can work this out.

Why one connector? It makes power draw more predictable.
Why so big? A few reasons
- The smaller things require greater precision and miniaturization... meaning more $$
- You need to allow enough space for a wide variety of handset sizes/shapes... that means you need to have enough space for your HAND and not just the device too and move it around
- This is also something that is out in the public - you want things big and easily articulated by hands of all size and dexterity

When you deal with the public.. you gotta thing robust :)

G00fyDad

they are using credit cards because that it what the machines support out of the box, Other than some software tweaks the machines appear identical to the ones in the manufacturers video and website.

Fair points. :facepalm:

JohnD

Can you imagine the problems that would occur with people forgetting the code, then being upset that their phone is locked inside, and then the whole issue of how the CM would then determine if the user really owned the phone. I think the credit card, or ultimately the MagicBand is by the far the best way of going.

Credit cards go through so many scanners these days, does another one really matter?

Good points. But you could make the same argument about the lockers across from Kali River Rapids and elsewhere.

PhotoDave219

It's a fantastic idea and that it's a specific off the shelf component makes it even better.

Plus with charging iPhone & Samsung, that covers 95% of the market. They're covering their primary clients.

I just wouldn't want to try and get one on the 24 hour day

JohnD

Nope. Never been there. But I believe you.

note2001

Trial period is ending. Hope they bring them back before next our next trip. I used the one in Space Mountain twice. Never had an issue other than I didn't have a credit card on me and had to borrow my son's, and there was a bit of separation anxiety on my part at first :oops:

I did note the iPhone 4 gen connectors were in the highest demand.

MissM

Any word on how the test went? More importantly, where it goes from here? I mean, was it a successful proof of concept that will expand or did they find that the potential cost (installation, upkeep, etc.) didn't warrant expansion?

I never used them (I have a Galaxy S4 rather than an iPhone so nearest access to a charger is less of an issue for me) but I do think it's an excellent idea. Love's iPhone definitely has gotten quite low while in the parks and, in the past, we've used the outlets by the Tangled restrooms for a few minutes. But of course, you have to sit there and wait while it charges.

Kevo

Well there's a cunningly conceived plan (NOT)!

Disney Imagineer
What device do you need the most to help you through the day?

Teenager
My iPhone, but it usually runs out of power by 3pm each day

Disney Imagineer
Oh, Have you seen our new Power Hungry MyDisneyExperience App?
We are also letting you pay for food and merchandize with Apple Pay!

Teenager
Wow that's great, now my phone will run out an hour earlier, but it does look really good

Disney Imagineer
No Problem, we've installed chargers inside the parks for you to keep your phone powered up!

Teenager
Hey, could you tell me where I can charge my cell phone?

Cast Member
Erm, we had some really cool charging stations, but we ripped them all out this week, but you can bring your charger lead tomorrow and hang around in the restrooms with your cell phone for a while!

FAIL

CJR

I'm surprised they would spend the time to remove these, which add value to a guest's experience, instead of putting money into other things that really need it more. Seems more cost effective to keep these there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom