Magic Kingdom fireworks fallout zone

KentB3

Original Poster
I have heard a lot of talk about this lately on the forums, especially in relation to the Fantasyland expansion, as it has been mentioned that the area between the railroad track and road behind the expansion area is the fallout zone for the fireworks. Does anyone know the exact boundaries of the fireworks fallout zone in the MK, particularly from left to right?

MKupdatepic27-2010.jpg

Here is a map of this area of the MK, which I downloaded from Google Earth. As you may notice, some of the Fantasyland expansion is already in place, particularly the walls in front.

WDW Monorail

Anything within a 750-800ft. radius of where the shell breaks is considered a fall out zone.
So, part of the old 20K plot will definetly be within that zone. As long as there are no open guest areas or emergency exits which spill out back there, there's shouldn't be a problem.
Otherwise, we may no longer see 10 inch shells in future shows.

Rob562

I'd say *generally* this is the fallout zone (you can see the launch pad in the center of the area):

Fallout.jpg

Not exact, and not official by any means. I know that during Wishes there is still vehicular access along the backstage road to the Cast parking and costuming north of the park, and that traffic coming north on World Drive from the Contemporary can still turn right at the crossroads onto Cast Drive. I don't know where they block off the road on the west side of the park, but it's probably either at Maple Road or Carribben Way.

Of course this is all different during the current fireworks show and other special-event shows that include the 180-degree shells. On that one, there is no cast access out of the park, and traffic on World Drive isn't allowed past the Contemporary, and the west side probably isn't allowed beyond the GF.

Anything within a 750-800ft. radius of where the shell breaks is considered a fall out zone.

So, part of the old 20K plot will definetly be within that zone. As long as there are no open guest areas or emergency exits which spill out back there, there's shouldn't be a problem.

I think that's one reason why the corner of the Expansion that's closest to the launching pad is the BATB restaurant, which is entirely enclosed.

-Rob

boo52

All areas of the FLE as well as the Park 2 road are out of the fallout area. During perimeters park 2 cast shuttle is still operational.

KentB3

Original Poster

If the 750-800 ft. radius were correct, here is where Disneyland's fireworks fallout zone is (roughly) located:

Disneylandfireworksfalloutzone.jpg

The launch pad is circled, with the fallout zone marked in red.

However, from what I have read online, it appears that the fallout zone may actually be smaller than the estimated 750-800 ft. It has been reported numerous times that Toontown is closed during the fireworks show, due to its location in the fallout zone; but Small World (as far as I know) and the area around it is not. In fact, Disneyland's previous Remember... Dreams Come True fireworks show had projections on the Small World façade, which complemented this as a fireworks viewing area. Either Disneyland uses a different type of fireworks that fall out in a smaller area, or both parks' fall out zones cover a smaller area than we thought! :veryconfu

hpyhnt 1000

^Keep in mind that at Disneyland the shells are smaller and they are not launched as high in the air, so their fallout area can accordingly be smaller than the MKs.

JWG

^Keep in mind that at Disneyland the shells are smaller and they are not launched as high in the air, so their fallout area can accordingly be smaller than the MKs.

It has to be smaller, I can't imagine people would be ok with the fallout zone including the interstate as depicted in the NE corner.

hpyhnt 1000

It has to be smaller, I can't imagine people would be ok with the fallout zone including the interstate as depicted in the NE corner.

Exactly. And even with the smaller shells, I believe Disneyland is sometimes forced to cancel its fireworks idue to strong winds simply because the launch site is in the middle of a city.

castevens

Exactly. And even with the smaller shells, I believe Disneyland is sometimes forced to cancel its fireworks idue to strong winds simply because the launch site is in the middle of a city.
Yeah, they cancelled the fireworks show when I was at DL and the winds were acting up, but I felt as though it wasn't too windy..

KentB3

Original Poster

Is this due to the fact that Disneyland's castle is smaller than MK's? In other words, that MK's fireworks would need larger shells to be visible behind a much larger castle.

jmvd20

The minimum spacing by NFPA is 75' per inch of shell. So a 10" shell would be a minimum radius of 750'. However almost every show I have ever worked uses a minimum of 100' per inch of shell per the companies, such as Rozzi, Zambelli, etc...

Boo, does Disney generally up the requirements or just stick with NFPA regs? I am not the least bit familiar with Florida fireworks laws.

hpyhnt 1000

Is this due to the fact that Disneyland's castle is smaller than MK's? In other words, that MK's fireworks would need larger shells to be visible behind a much larger castle.

A smaller castle helps in the sense that smaller shells look bigger next to it and that they don't need to be launched as high in the air to be seen; but I don't think thats a main reason why DL uses smaller shells. I would imagine the size of the firework is determined more by how large a fallout zone is required and also by how loud a bang it makes when it explodes.

Another thing to point out is that the distance between the launch site and the castle at both DL and WDW is about the same, 1/4 mile, so you can't argue that distance is a reason why WDW uses larger shells. It all has to do with the fallout area, and at DL, there just isn't as much space, hence the need for smaller shells.

WDW Monorail

If the 750-800 ft. radius were correct, here is where Disneyland's fireworks fallout zone is (roughly) located:

However, from what I have read online, it appears that the fallout zone may actually be smaller than the estimated 750-800 ft. It has been reported numerous times that Toontown is closed during the fireworks show, due to its location in the fallout zone; but Small World (as far as I know) and the area around it is not. In fact, Disneyland's previous Remember... Dreams Come True fireworks show had projections on the Small World façade, which complemented this as a fireworks viewing area. Either Disneyland uses a different type of fireworks that fall out in a smaller area, or both parks' fall out zones cover a smaller area than we thought! :veryconfu

The largest shell DL uses is 8". That would mean a minimum safety radius of 600ft.

Toontown is well within that radius. On top of that, the 9-line platforms are located directly behind Toontown on the roofs of buildings and on free standing platforms.

I was under the impression that WDW used the 75' per inch minimum. NFPA rules changed recently with respect to that. As far as I am aware, before the code change, Disney was using a larger safety radius than required.

KentB3

Original Poster
A smaller castle helps in the sense that smaller shells look bigger next to it and that they don't need to be launched as high in the air to be seen; but I don't think thats a main reason why DL uses smaller shells. I would imagine the size of the firework is determined more by how large a fallout zone is required and also by how loud a bang it makes when it explodes.

Another thing to point out is that the distance between the launch site and the castle at both DL and WDW is about the same, 1/4 mile, so you can't argue that distance is a reason why WDW uses larger shells. It all has to do with the fallout area, and at DL, there just isn't as much space, hence the need for smaller shells.

Would anyone know where the launchers and fallout zones are for the overseas parks? I looked at Tokyo Disneyland, Paris, and Hong Kong on Google Earth, but couldn't seem to find the launchers. Also, I can imagine the fallout zones are smaller than MK's, since Disneyland Paris's Fantasyland stretches back pretty far (Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train are actually behind the railroad track), and Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland almost touches the back of Tokyo DisneySea!

WDW Monorail

Would anyone know where the launchers and fallout zones are for the overseas parks? I looked at Tokyo Disneyland, Paris, and Hong Kong on Google Earth, but couldn't seem to find the launchers. Also, I can imagine the fallout zones are smaller than MK's, since Disneyland Paris's Fantasyland stretches back pretty far (Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train are actually behind the railroad track), and Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland almost touches the back of Tokyo DisneySea!

TDL's site is way to the South East of the castle. It is depicted in the lower right hand corner of this image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HKDL does not use any large shells. Everything in it's show is proximity pyro known as 1.4G. Basically, mines, comets and bombettes. All of it's pyro is from rooftops behind the castle.

That is pretty accurate, as DL closes Mickey's Toontown during the show if I'm not mistaken.

It's going to be interesting watching Wishes in front of Beast's castle :)

KentB3

Original Poster
TDL's site is way to the South East of the castle. It is depicted in the lower right hand corner of this image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HKDL does not use any large shells. Everything in it's show is proximity pyro known as 1.4G. Basically, mines, comets and bombettes. All of it's pyro is from rooftops behind the castle.

That is awfully close to Tom Sawyer Island and much of Fantasyland. Does the fallout zone affect these areas, and do they close the attractions there during the fireworks?

Since HKDL doesn't use large shells, I assume that the fallout zones are self-contained to the rooftops, am I right?

Also, what does Disneyland Paris do for their fireworks show? I still couldn't find a large launch pad on their property like DL, WDW's MK, and TDL have. Or do they do something like HDKL for their fireworks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom