Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

I hope WDW's 50th is better than DLR's was. At DLR when we went in Feb. all the water attractions were closed plus the railroad. It was such a disappointment. You would think they would have left everything running until the 60th year was over.
February is the time of year where some rides go down for refurb at DL. Crowds are lower but it is a trade off. I went February 2015 knowing what I was in for and still had a great time.

tirian

February is the time of year where some rides go down for refurb at DL. Crowds are lower but it is a trade off. I went February 2015 knowing what I was in for and still had a great time.
The majority of DL was refurbished from years 49–51. Some of the headliners were indeed closed during the 50th Anniversary.

matt9112

We're at the point where the only "classic Fantasyland" stuff in the United States is on the Pan/IASW street. I'd leave it alone if just for the sake of leaving the style around somewhere, as a homage.

But yes, repainting it and planting some trees could do some good.

I think they should make the older fantasyland castle stuff look more realistic

GiveMeTheMusic

I hope WDW's 50th is better than DLR's was. At DLR when we went in Feb. all the water attractions were closed plus the railroad. It was such a disappointment. You would think they would have left everything running until the 60th year was over.

They want Star Wars Land to be open by late 2018, so they didn't wait for the 60th to end.

scoottehbesht

I want the true Space Mountain refurb we were supposed to get in 2009. Exterior lighting, smoother track, better star projections that actually reach the bottom parts of the mountain, new cars + on-board soundtrack, silent lift hill, the list goes on...

Also replacement for Incredibles Dance Party, ruins the atmosphere for Tomorrowland @ night.

Last edited:

Minnie1976

We had fun and went knowing a lot would be closed. The MK was very crowded with so much closed. We had invited our grandchild to come with us. It would have been a big disappointment for her to have the trip cancelled. Also in our area we were off a week for Mardi Gras.

Bocabear

Wouldn't mind if we got SDLs Pirates for the 50th :). But there probably isn't room for it.
I don't think space is the real issue...There is plenty of room that could be used if they wanted to... the real issue is a desire to freshen up our cliff notes version of Pirates. I would heartily vote a big yes to doing that...since we have the worst iteration of the Pirates ride out there... Go to Disneyland for the original Pirates... and build something amazing for WDW's 50th... along with a proper Space Mountain refurb and a brand spanking new expanded Peter Pan Attraction...(Moved to the Circus tents area.... it would be epic... Existing Peter Pan could be redeveloped as the Pinocchio ride we do not have...

Brad Bishop

And all the Harry Potter stuff like plastic cups, those holders for hot drinks, plastic bags, etc. Also the bags specifically for "Universal Orlando" not "Universal Parks" and Cabana Bay bags as well. Pens in all the rooms too are specifically Cabana Bay. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff and all of it must be soooooooo prohibitively expensive :rolleyes:

The Harry Potter stuff is key. When you go back into the Harry Potter lands you're buying specific Harry Potter themed items. It's not plush toys and t-shirts but original/unique items and many of them are really cool.

The closest thing they have to that at WDW is the Star Wars shop at DHS which is largely like a Star Wars section from Toys R Us. I think that the most original thing that they have there is the build-a-droid, which is cool, but a little disappointing.

WDW used to do themed merchandise based on where you were. Poly had tropical themed items. Contemporary had more modern-like items. Each themed for the specific hotels. Main St had individual shops and not the Emporium (plush and T-shirts).

I get that plush and T-shirts would be a big seller and every kid wants a Mickey and all that. That was always there. It just sucks that it's basically everywhere, now.

I think that the Wilderness Lodge has one of the few remaining stores that have unique items geared towards it's location.

Mike S

The Harry Potter stuff is key. When you go back into the Harry Potter lands you're buying specific Harry Potter themed items. It's not plush toys and t-shirts but original/unique items and many of them are really cool.

The closest thing they have to that at WDW is the Star Wars shop at DHS which is largely like a Star Wars section from Toys R Us. I think that the most original thing that they have there is the build-a-droid, which is cool, but a little disappointing.

WDW used to do themed merchandise based on where you were. Poly had tropical themed items. Contemporary had more modern-like items. Each themed for the specific hotels. Main St had individual shops and not the Emporium (plush and T-shirts).

I get that plush and T-shirts would be a big seller and every kid wants a Mickey and all that. That was always there. It just sucks that it's basically everywhere, now.

I think that the Wilderness Lodge has one of the few remaining stores that have unique items geared towards it's location.
Dinosaur and Expedition Everest have unique shops as well.

Cesar R M

I actually wondered that. Everything is so homogenized it isnt funny.
You can find stuff from one park in the other, hardly any exclusives now.

Matt_Black

I actually wondered that. Everything is so homogenized it isnt funny.
You can find stuff from one park in the other, hardly any exclusives now.

That's not totally new, though. I was looking through my Cooking With Mickey book, purchased back in the 90s, and yep, there are recipes from restaurants from WDW and DL.

Siren

I want the true Space Mountain refurb we were supposed to get in 2009. Exterior lighting, smoother track, better star projections that actually reach the bottom parts of the mountain, new cars + on-board soundtrack, silent lift hill, the list goes on...

Also replacement for Incredibles Dance Party, ruins the atmosphere for Tomorrowland @ night.
I remember this refurb, it was like nine months long or something like that.

Anyway, we rode Space Mountain right after that "refurb" and the ride was so rough to where my body felt sore afterwards. Like, I could not believe how Disney made the ride even *worse* than before. I made sure to tell everyone and no one believed me until they rode it.

I imagine Disney received a number of complaints because they eventually added trim brakes to slow it down and reduce friction. But, we don't need two People Movers. The trim brakes should have been a temporary quick fix.

This is why it pays to just spend the money and do things right the first time.

Now, Disney will have to spend twice as much to correct this.

Siren

I don't think space is the real issue...There is plenty of room that could be used if they wanted to... the real issue is a desire to freshen up our cliff notes version of Pirates. I would heartily vote a big yes to doing that...since we have the worst iteration of the Pirates ride out there... Go to Disneyland for the original Pirates... and build something amazing for WDW's 50th... along with a proper Space Mountain refurb and a brand spanking new expanded Peter Pan Attraction...(Moved to the Circus tents area.... it would be epic... Existing Peter Pan could be redeveloped as the Pinocchio ride we do not have...
I got totally drenched on Pirates, those new boats are *so* messed up. It was my fault though, the CM initially sent us to the one of the back rows but there was another group waiting ahead of us -- no biggie. The next boat was arriving right behind it *but* my impatient hard headed party asked the CM to ride up front because the two front rows of the boat were empty.

I warned them about the boats and I insisted that we stay put but they did not believe it could be that bad.

We ended so soaked that we had to leave MK to freshen up and change and then come back -- so, we lost at least two hours. We rode Splash Mountain just earlier and barely got splashed.

I was so mad with myself because I knew better. Never again. LOL.

Anyway, I love Shanghai's version of Pirates. I am not a fan of too many screens, but it works.

I think Peter Pan would be nice in that area but Disney just spent all that money on the queue so I don't think that will happen.

Also, I am not opposed to a Pinnochio attraction but I don't think Disney will ever consider it because the story line is just too dark for today's Disney. And, there are better IP's that can be utilized.

doctornick

The whole idea of a sort of new area called Land Of Legends is intriguing... Not sure there is room to actually create anything like this at Disney World though...Unless that was the connector area around the backside of Big Thunder...

Can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic, but there's simply tons of room at WDW that they could use for all sorts of expansion. At tiny closed in DL, they are tearing down and moving a crapload of backstage buildings to carve out 14 acres for Star Wars -- at MK, they could throw a rock and hit 14 acres of undeveloped land.

In terms of whether there is conceivable room for these old "Land of Legends" plans at MK, yes, it could easily be built on the northern side of the Rivers of America and be used to connect Frontierland and Liberty Sq from the other side. It would take some reworking a bit of the existing places to create the proper pathways but it would (a) be a great addition and (b) help tremendously with guest flow by ending the Frontierland dead end at BTMRR (would be particularly helpful during parades).

Bringing it back to MK's 50th -- I think if they really wanted to do something cool that would absolutely be loved by the fan base, they should build a version of the Western River Expansion north of BTMRR. It's pretty much legendary in Disneyphile circles and would be such a fitting addition since it was planned from the start of the park. That would IMHO be the potential first step to a larger expansion in the area down the road, but would at least add some capacity and new space to the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom