Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

yensidtlaw1969

Does the fact that it's two rides are good excuse it being a land that has received no attention in 23 years? It's the only land that hasn't seen major updates in that time. Staler than a burger bun at McDonalds.
Just because they're not new doesn't mean they're stale. I would happily see Frontierland be the recipient of attention, but I would still argue that Tomorrowland's attractions are more stale than anything in Frontierland. Splash and Big Thunder aren't crying out to be brought "up to speed" in the way that Tomorrowland's attractions are. Both Splash and Thunder are satisfying to modern sensibilities far more than anything in Tomorrowland (which is ironic, given the thematic nature of a Tomorrow land). They mostly look like something from a by-gone era, whereas the Frontierland mountains hold up against Disney's recent work. Built today, they wouldn't seem passe.

That said, Thunder is supposed to be getting the Disneyland upgrade package one of these days, and it will certainly make for an improvement over the current state of the finale show scene.

UpAllNight

Someone explain why it has to be either or?

19 million times guests entered Magic Kingdom last year. That's a hell of a lot of money ringing through the turnstiles. You're accepting mediocrity if you think Disney don't have the resources to vastly improve both Frontierland and Tomorrowland. Judge Magic kingdom as it is...an amazing, wonderful, crowded, money making mess, and explain how updating this park all over wouldn't be financially viable to Disney. At the moment I'd guess a lot of people will be put off returning simply because of the crowds and capacity issues.

Some long term vision is required here please Disney.

Matt_Black

Someone explain why it has to be either or?

19 million times guests entered Magic Kingdom last year. That's a hell of a lot of money ringing through the turnstiles. You're accepting mediocrity if you think Disney don't have the resources to vastly improve both Frontierland and Tomorrowland. Judge Magic kingdom as it is...an amazing, wonderful, crowded, money making mess, and explain how updating this park all over wouldn't be financially viable to Disney. At the moment I'd guess a lot of people will be put off returning simply because of the crowds and capacity issues.

You simply can't refurb FL and TL simultaneously for precisely that reason- too many visitors. You could do one, then the other, not both.

UpAllNight

You simply can't refurb FL and TL simultaneously for precisely that reason- too many visitors. You could do one, then the other, not both.

Don't know what a refurbish of Frontierland would achieve but I agree. Extending and expanding both, could however be done at the same time, which I think is needed much more to solve the massive capacity issue at this park.

RSoxNo1

The problem with a Tomorrowland overhaul is that it has large capacity. I don't think Space and Buzz could be closed at the same time. Closing Space and TTA at the same time is rough as well. I could see them break it up into three main phases with CoP, MILF and Stitch closed at the same time, then Buzz, then Space.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

The problem with a Tomorrowland overhaul is that it has large capacity. I don't think Space and Buzz could be closed at the same time. Closing Space and TTA at the same time is rough as well. I could see them break it up into three main phases with CoP, MILF and Stitch closed at the same time, then Buzz, then Space.
If it were my decision, I'd start with the Speedway, updating it with new layout/vehicles etc. while adding attractions above it (yes, vertical) and/or on that particular plot. Otherwise, I agree with the phases as you list them.

Professor_Jason

I've always wondered why Disneyland has four mountains and Magic Kingdom three, is there room to put an E-Ticket mountain like the Matterhorn?

Unplugged

If it were my decision, I'd start with the Speedway, updating it with new layout/vehicles etc. while adding attractions above it (yes, vertical) and/or on that particular plot. Otherwise, I agree with the phases as you list them.

That's a good idea. There's a little room across the tracks and if the plot over the waterway isn't wetlands/unbuildable, more room there immediately North of Space. If they went trackless electric (embedded wire), the cars could be just slightly faster (not much, kids should still be able to drive) and spread the wire detectors a little to provide slack for the driving, as is done now with the metal. Could be a really fun attraction when driving around another attraction, over hills, through a tunnel, past a water feature, etc.

A lot of potential there if it were tied into Tomorrowland (movie) styled theming on the South, with more greenery to blend in on the North.

Last edited:

Tod&BigMamaOdie

I think if you're leveling the Speedway it should be absorbed into Fantasyland.
Mentioning that, it does seem a better idea to absorb it into Fantasyland. It seems to yield more attraction options/possibilities versus TL. or at least in my head. Also, isn't there a plot (maybe a cast parking lot) behind CoP that could be used or is that dreaming?

Club34

There are many threads that have speculation and even some insider commentary giving some clues so perhaps this has been covered. The concept drawings for the tron coaster look amazing and would fit a tomorrowland motif. I think the speedway needs to go. I know its nostalgia. But i feel strongly that it can be let go without huge fanfare if we truly get the superheadiner attraction on that pad. I'm thinking an "E" ticket. Heck, how about an "F" ticket. Is there consideration of expanding past the train tracks because there is obviously real estate out there too. I think it needs to be a coaster.

I can't even tell where you put any new attractions in frontierland without messing with the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom