Magic Bands wear or not to wear

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
Was looking around on the new Disney web site which i might add is a nice new crisp refreshing look.

Disney said that if you do not want to wear the magic band and have Disney know your every move in the parks you can opt out and still get a rfid card only.

So from what im getting is that disney has rfid long range readers all over the park and they can track your every move. Pretty interesting concept. They can figure out where crowds gather more and they can work around ways to shorten times add shows and stuff. Pretty interesting part of the rfid from a business point of view. But i wonder how many people are going to want disney to know their every move. Hmmmm Your thoughts.

DisneyJoe

They'll even be able to do it with the cards. Put a scanner in every store, cart and attraction and doorway, and IF the cards and bands and scanners have enough power, they'll have all the info they need.

It's not worth worrying about.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
They'll even be able to do it with the cards. Put a scanner in every store, cart and attraction and doorway, and IF the cards and bands and scanners have enough power, they'll have all the info they need.

This ^^^^. With the thousands of people in a park at any given time, Disney is not concerned with tracking each individual. They are looking at the big picture from a business point of view: how can we maximize our guest's enjoyment so we in turn can maximize our profit? Folks need to get over their paranoia. You are in a public place going from attraction to attraction, store or restaurant. If this bothers you, then don't go to Disney.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Was looking around on the new Disney web site which i might add is a nice new crisp refreshing look.

Disney said that if you do not want to wear the magic band and have Disney know your every move in the parks you can opt out and still get a rfid card only.

So from what im getting is that disney has rfid long range readers all over the park and they can track your every move. Pretty interesting concept. They can figure out where crowds gather more and they can work around ways to shorten times add shows and stuff. Pretty interesting part of the rfid from a business point of view. But i wonder how many people are going to want disney to know their every move. Hmmmm Your thoughts.

The "long range RFID readers" are bluetooth...

There is no bluetooth transmitter in the cards, the form factor won't allow for it. Only the bands.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I really don't care if Disney is tracking me, I just don't like wearing bands. And I think this program was a big waste of money, but they probably wouldn't invest in it if they didn't see profit rewards in the near future for themselves.

2bornot2be

Disney already tracks you in some form, even before the bands. Each time you swiped your "Key to the World Card" you were tracked. The last time we stayed on Disney property they knew the dates of my family's previous trip.

I agree with Tuvalu statement.
This ^^^^. With the thousands of people in a park at any given time, Disney is not concerned with tracking each individual. They are looking at the big picture from a business point of view: how can we maximize our guest's enjoyment so we in turn can maximize our profit? Folks need to get over their paranoia. You are in a public place going from attraction to attraction, store or restaurant. If this bothers you, then don't go to Disney.

Disney is more concerned about general patterns for Guest enjoyment and $$$$. (Not necessarily in that order) If Disney had a history of selling Guest information to telemarketers I would be concerned but the have a policy against it and I have not seen it in the past. So I'm OK with wearing the new bands as long as My family and I have a good time when we visit.

mickeysbrother

Original Poster

Actually disney said that it would not be able to track them. Thats the only difference between the band and the card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom