Mad Men

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Does anybody watch Mad Men on AMC? I've been an avid watcher since season 1, and I'm still fighting with the idea that it is all over in 7 days. Would like to discuss the season and series with like minded folk. I truly believe this show will go down as one of the most impactful and important dramas in television history (right up there with, and I'd argue above, The Sopranos, The Wire, and Breaking Bad).

acishere

I can't believe it is so close to the end. I also can't believe I actually feel sympathy for Betty this season.

Last night really needed some Peggy and Roger. I want to see how the new Peggy is going to mesh with the jerks at McCann.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Last night pretty much clearly closed out Pete and Trudy, minus a potential last second of the episode shot. The finale has to revolve around Don, Peggy, and Roger. There's no other story of note worth following up on.

I'm going to miss this show so much. This was the best drama I've ever seen on TV.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
anigif_enhanced-8047-1401212417-18.gif

acishere

I've been expecting one of Don's experience on the road to give him an idea that would lure him back to New York. And if I'm interpreting that ending correctly, my expectation finally came true.

Everyone but Betty seems to have gotten their dream ending.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I've been expecting one of Don's experience on the road to give him an idea that would lure him back to New York. And if I'm interpreting that ending correctly, my expectation finally came true.

Everyone but Betty seems to have gotten their dream ending.
What I love about the show is there was no set end game for Betty. She had the ultimate ambition to completely shatter the glass ceiling, and knowing her character, in this world, she likely would and did. Finding love with Stan was one of the most natural, if sudden, developments the show has led to. And there is no reason a relationship would deter her ambition. Maybe slow the pace, but the creative instinct would still be there.

The finale, to me, was amazingly cynical and amazing at the same time. Don didn't learn anything....he used his newfound experience to relate to a group of people that otherwise would not have given him the time of day, and what did he do with it? He made the single most influential and famous ad ever.

He finds inner redemption and satisfaction, but what does that mean compared to others? He's an ad man. He found the next big idea. That means more than inner peace and stability, in his mind.

That's the genius of this show. These characters are so complicated and developed that a simple solution would sell the them short.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom