Lunch Advice

We always take midday breaks for our little ones. It's great for adults too! We swim, nap, relax and freshen up for dinner and an evening in the parks. It helps us keep the kids out later too, and we avoid the hottest and most busy time in the parks. Win/win.

As far as timing goes, it depends on what park you're at, which resort you're going to, and the mode of transportation you're using. Plan an hour each way to be safe.

Ali Mouse

We never go back to the resort to take naps. Last September our children's ages were 14, 8, and 3. We go every two years. Instead we find a relaxing spot in the park like a dark show and relax or nap. I can't remeber the last time we actually watched the Hall of Presidents. (even though it's a great show)
We also will find a park bench and have a snack and people watch. We just take it easy in the middle part of the day and we make it strong till closing- sometimes as late as 2 am. We decided long ago that we do not like the bus transportation and the less we have to be on it the better. We dislike it enough to where next year we are driving our own vehicle to the park.

minniemickeyfan

With an 18 year old and now a 2 year old going back for a nap is a must for us. I do think it's easier driving your own car, but Disney transportation is pretty reliable I think. But with having our kids so far apart in age, we take turns taking the 18yo back to a park during the afternoon.
I think you just have to find what will work best for your family. My son doesn't nap so well even with a comfortable stroller, so for us going back is best. He's refreshed and ready to go.

cw1982

I will say this much:

If you're going to drive to the parks, I recommend not driving to MK. From the MK parking lot, which is actually not at the MK, you have to take a monorail or boat to the gates. And that's after catching a tram from your car to the monorail or boat. Definitely take the bus to MK. At the other parks, driving may be worth it if you're going back to the room during the day.

Ali Mouse

I will say this much:

If you're going to drive to the parks, I recommend not driving to MK. From the MK parking lot, which is actually not at the MK, you have to take a monorail or boat to the gates. And that's after catching a tram from your car to the monorail or boat. Definitely take the bus to MK. At the other parks, driving may be worth it if you're going back to the room during the day.
I totally agree. We are actually staying at Fort Wilderness cabins so we will take the boat to MK but drive to the rest.

Ali Mouse

With an 18 year old and now a 2 year old going back for a nap is a must for us. I do think it's easier driving your own car, but Disney transportation is pretty reliable I think. But with having our kids so far apart in age, we take turns taking the 18yo back to a park during the afternoon.
I think you just have to find what will work best for your family. My son doesn't nap so well even with a comfortable stroller, so for us going back is best. He's refreshed and ready to go.
I agree with this one too! You have to find what works best for your family. If you like to take long peaceful naps to feel recharged you should go back to the hotel. But if you can recharge by resting/ relaxing for 20-30 minutes just stay in the park. My 15 year old would not want to go back and my 9 year old could survive on 4 hours of sleep and my three year old will take a long nap in the stroller.
So you know your kids. Just figure out what they need. If you even think for a second that it would be best for them to go back - go back. You can always try it for the first day or two or on a EMH day. Then if you feel as if it is beneficial continue and if you feel you are wasting time discontinue. Enjoy either way!

Much-Pixie-Dust

We always do a mid-day break when we go in the summer months from about noon to 4 or 5. The only exception is AK for the reasons another poster mentioned. It serves as a great break from the heat and for my DD, the pool time is her favorite part of the trip. We will rest and eat part of the time and swim the other part of the break. Now, in the winter, when it's not as hot or crowded, we don't do mid-day breaks. They were not needed for my daughter.

If you drive, you can also go off property to International Drive or US 192 and get food a lot cheaper than on property.

Metilinos

Lots of people take lunch breaks, though if I can avoid them and maximize my time at the parks I do.

Bus times are generally 15-30 minutes. Sometimes you'll show up at the bus stop and then the bus is waiting or pulling up and you get back to your resort quick, or sometimes they circle to another parks or another resort (mainly if you stay at value resorts).

Lunch is a bit more inexpensive at the food courts as opposed to the restaurants or some quick service places. Definitely go back for lunch if you're trying to save on cash wherever you can.

The break will help you stay refreshed. My girlfriend and I usually head back and catch a quick shower and head back out since we generally have dinner reservations. Keeps up cool in the room, clean up the sweat (because you will in that heat), and leave you refreshed.

cw1982

Sometimes you'll show up at the bus stop and then the bus is waiting or pulling up and you get back to your resort quick, or sometimes they circle to another parks or another resort (mainly if you stay at value resorts).

Not necessarily true. Pop has its own bus route that it does not share with any other resort. Some of the mods do share, if I'm not mistaken... I want to say I've seen @Dwarful say that Yacht Club and some of the others in that area share buses... maybe she'll pop in and confirm. I do think you're right though about the values in that the All Stars share buses.

Last edited:

DiSnEyF@n

Not necessarily true. Pop has its own bus route that it does not share with any other resort. Some of the mods do share, if I'm not mistaken... I want to say I've seen @Dwarful say that Yacht Club and some of the others in that area share buses... maybe she'll pop in and confirm. I do think you're right though about the values in that the All Stars share buses.
The Yacht and Beach do share buses with the Swan and Dolphin and Boardwalk. We stay at the S&D all the time. Hope this helps :)

nharned

I think going back to the room is a great idea. It gives everyone a chance to cool off and get re-energized. It will also save you money if you eat at the room instead of in the park.

mammaminnie

I think it all depends on how your kids do on vacation. Mine get so much energy that a naptime is a waste for us because they wouldn't sleep. I do try to plan some shows for the afternoon to give us a break from the heat and sun. We also try to plan for one afternoon per trip to be our pool day for sure. As for the amount of time, it depends on where you are staying and which park/location you would be coming from.

Gullywhumper

It's a good idea to take a break with younger children, because the combination of beating heat, and long walks, do not make children happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom