Louisiana Marathon, Half and 5K Jan 20 2013

a2grafix

Original Poster
I just entered the Louisiana half-marathon on Jan. 20, 2013, in Baton Rouge, La.

Anyone else enter the marathon or half or 5K?

Committed to the race after seeing their set-up at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon, which took place this past weekend. I ran the 5K in 29:27.

You know that P-Funk song "Standing on the Verge of Getting it On" ??? Well, I was standing on the verge, on a cliff, for several weeks wondering when I would commit to run 13.1 miles. I've been running 5Ks and the like for a few years now.

Stepped it up later this year, though. I ran 10 miles at the end of September in the Tower of Terror 10 miler, so what's 3.1 more miles?

Can I successfully train in the next 47 days? Sure I can. I know I can. But that's like 6 weeks as opposed to 4 months of training. Should be fine, right? Training for a 10 miler is like training for a half, right? It's like - as they say - riding a bike, right?

Wonder if the Mayans have anything to say about my future plans.

fmingo36

You can do it Tim!!!
You are totally prepared to run a 1/2 Marathon. You finished the TOT10M with no troubles and you know how to train for an event now. Can't wait to read your first 1/2 marathon report in January!

Mickey&Minnie

I have a couple of friends running the half. Maybe next year because this year I'll still be in Disney after running my first marathon ever. Have fun! It's a beautiful course that is ran.

Texas84

Stepped it up later this year, though. I ran 10 miles at the end of September in the Tower of Terror 10 miler, so what's 3.1 more miles?

Can I successfully train in the next 47 days? Sure I can. I know I can. But that's like 6 weeks as opposed to 4 months of training. Should be fine, right? Training for a 10 miler is like training for a half, right? It's like - as they say - riding a bike, right?
Oh yeah, if you survived the ToT Humidity Run you can easily do a January half. Go do an 11 and a 12 and you'll be more than good.

a2grafix

Original Poster
Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. I know I can do it. For the past 2 months really didn't focus on running after the 10 miler at Disney. Actually focused more on work and settling into my job in Memphis.

But I am focused now, balancing exercise and work and pleasure. Although 5Ks are nice to run and challenging, I believe now that half marathons are my next milestone. Maybe in the new year I will enter a few more, maybe the Disneyland half, and maybe some kind of Walt Disney World half in 2014 (not to get a coast to coast medal, but just something to do and accomplish).

Never thought I would say that my next challenge is 13.1 miles. Heck, earlier this year I thought I was out of my mind that I could run 10 miles. But everything came in stride and now 5ks and 30-minute runs are nice warm-ups. Believe it or not 2 years ago I could not even run a mile correctly without gasping and stopping and walking.

I don't have the luxury of training properly for a half marathon, like I said 4 months when we started to train for the Tower 10 miler, but if I let me feet go in the direction they want to go, maybe I can run a full 10 miles or 11 or 12 and not think anything of it. Here's to a compressed holiday-ish training schedule.

In the words of the Joker, "and here we go."

a2grafix

Original Poster
I have a couple of friends running the half. Maybe next year because this year I'll still be in Disney after running my first marathon ever. Have fun! It's a beautiful course that is ran.

Let them know that I will be running with them at the Louisiana half with them.

Kristia

You can do it! Once you have done that distance, I think it is easier to get back to it even if you take some time off. It is easier to get the endurance than it was the first time around. Good luck! Will be looking forward to your report!

a2grafix

Original Poster
So, let me preface for a second. Two years ago I could not run. I was recovering from a herniated disc in my lower left back, was out of shape, failed my second military fitness exam, and could not even run 1.5 miles in under 14 minutes to save my life. A senior command sergeant gave me advice that I had to learn how to walk first before learning how to run. So I started New Year's Day 2011, sloshing at first through the snow once a day for nearly two months around a high school track.

Fast forward to now, I entered in this, my first half marathon. After running the 2012 Tower of Terror 10 miler in September, it dawned on me that over the course of nearly two years I progressed from walking a mile or two in deep snow, to running a lap and walking, to running my first 5K in six or seven years, to passing my annual military fitness exam - TWICE, to running a few more 5Ks, and now a 10 mile road race.

2013-01-19_20-19-30_179.jpg

I never thought I would run several 5ks or even 10 miles in this stage of my life. I never thought I would ever run a half marathon. After the Tower of Terror 10 miler, I thought what is 3.1 more miles?

2013-01-20_06-50-49_890.jpg

During the 2012 St. Jude Memphis Marathon, Half, 5K weekend, I saw a booth for the Louisiana Marathon and Half, which completed its first-ever running in 2012. Where is it at? Baton Rouge? When? Third weekend of January? I don't know if I could run a half marathon. Haven't really trained. Most of the course is flat? Under sea level? Through the LSU campus?

2013-01-20_09-00-34_888.jpg

I let a week slip by to think. Decided to enter my first half and committed to it with a new year's resolution.

2013-01-20_08-26-51_175.jpg

Was supposed to drive down last Friday, Jan. 18, but work called at the TV station for a mandatory meeting and I didn't get to travel the 5 hours or so south to Baton Rouge to pick up my race packet at the expo. Good thing, too, since it was better to travel during the day. I stayed home Friday night and ran nearly 7 miles. On Saturday, I leisurely drove to Baton Rouge thinking the expo would be open until 7pm. Nope, misprint. Expo was open until 5pm. I made it to the expo with 15 minutes to spare after an accident / traffic jam at the I-55 / I-12 split, but made it to Baton Rouge. Nice city. It dawned on me, I'm in Baton Rouge, entered in the Louisiana Half. I'm going to run this and have fun or back out, drive down some 100 miles to the French Quarter and forget about it.

I stayed on course.

The half and full both started at 7 am Sunday, Jan. 20, with a cannon blast from the lieutenant governor. For 10 miles half and full runners were side by side until the more crazy runners went that away and us not to crazy runners continued back into downtown to the finish line.

2013-01-20_09-13-04_222.jpg

With the exception of a small hill in the first quarter mile to climb, and a big bridge to cross on our way out and back, the course was fairly nice. Run temp to start was 39-40F, and it got warmer as the morning progressed. I would say it was nearly 50F at my finish and it got warmer into the mid-60sF at the finish line festival.

At the expo I talked to one of the pacers and told him I wanted to finish around 2:15 or so for the half, since I finished a little over 1:52 in the Tower 10 miler. He suggested I run with the 4:20-4:30 marathon pacers, and so I did, for about 9 miles. I was at times behind the pacer, next to him or way out in front. I think I was with the 4:20 pacer.

2013-01-20_09-24-12_887.jpg

Miles 3 through 10 were inside Louisiana State University and around the perimeter of a huge lake next to the university and city park and golf course. I crossed 6.55 mile half time around 63 minutes for about a 10:15 per mile split. Slowed down considerably, stopped several times second half of the course, some of the times to take photos of the course.

When I crossed the 10 mile marker I was in uncharted territory. Stopped a few more times to take mile marker photos. Took me about 30 minutes to cross the finish line. Finished with a time of 2 hours, 22 minutes, 57 seconds.

2013-01-20_09-27-20_98.jpg

My feet hurt, my right shoulder was sore, I was spent, but other than that I felt fine. The finish festival had FREE BEER and FREE FOOD. Jambalaya four ways. Other Southern cajun faire. Beer at 10am? Yes, please.

Made it back to my hotel, less than a mile from the start - finish line, and relaxed. Ate a whole personal pizza and something called cinna-knots for dessert at a place called Schlitz and Giggles, a pizza parlor. Highly recommend the place. cinna-knots sort of tasted like beignets.

2013-01-22_00-46-35_71.jpg

Drove back to Memphis on MLK Day / Inauguration Day for work, and the next day decided to enter my SECOND HALF MARATHON, the 2013 Disneyland Half.

The whole purpose of me running my first half was to get a taste. Can I do it? I didn't care about the time but wanted a decent time. At least I was 10-13 minutes faster than the first marathoner to cross the finish line. He and a few others qualified for the Boston Marathon.

2013-01-22_00-46-59_917.jpg

a2grafix

Original Poster
Sweet bling! Congrats!

Quite nice bling, yes. And on top of that this half marathon was NOTHING like the Tower 10-miler Humidity Fun Run. Found out there were 2,739 half and full runners. I was among 1,804 half marathoners. There were 350 more females entered than males in The Louisiana Half.

Compare that to the 10,000 Tower 10-milers in September, and the expected 17,500 Disneyland Halfers come this Labor Day. Just hope I get placed in a pretty good Corral for the Disneyland and Wine and Dine halves.

LindsayLoves

1. Did you say FREE beer?
2. Way to go! Now that you have done your first half there will be many more to come, maybe even a full? You will learn a lot about what your body needs during races the more you run those 'longer' distances. My first half I definitely slowed down in the last 2-3 miles because I was zonked, now I know how to fuel and hydrate to prevent that in races and training.
3. That medal sure is pretty.

a2grafix

Original Poster
1. Did you say FREE beer?
2. Way to go! Now that you have done your first half there will be many more to come, maybe even a full? You will learn a lot about what your body needs during races the more you run those 'longer' distances. My first half I definitely slowed down in the last 2-3 miles because I was zonked, now I know how to fuel and hydrate to prevent that in races and training.
3. That medal sure is pretty.

1. Yes, FREE BEER and FREE FOOD. Shocked. Had a nice coffee porter and a nice pilsner bock kind of draught beer. Was going to grab a third, but two was plenty for me.

2. I am, at present, only half crazy and will likely remain that way until I feel the need to train like @Donald Duck does. I'm not that crazy. Yeah, I will have to change the way I train and run. I'm running with a small bottle of powerade. I have bought Gu, but have not tried it yet. I did buy at the expo some kind of energy fruit vitamin jellybeans. Put 6 in my pocket and downed two every three miles or so. Tasty. I did stop for fluids, be it water or water and powerade. First 3 miles did not drink but 4 mile on did. I think I skipped two water stops.

3. Yes, the medal is quite impressive. Heavy too, almost as heavy as Tower 10 miler medal. Front side is very nice but I do like the back side fleur de lis and the unique 13 // 1. Even more unique is the 13.1 and 26.2 stickers.

Heh, 13 point shoe. Here's the 26.2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom