Losing weight for the BIG trip to the 'World'

DiSnEyF@n

Okay, so I just had my daughter in February and we are going to WDW in August. I am having a hard time finding the time to work out, but trust me, I am trying. With 4 months left (not mention summer is around the corner) I need to drop about 20 lbs (to be happy with how I look)... Anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this??? What did you do to drop some lbs before your BIG trip?? I feel like I am always hungry lol

FYI, I don't want to starve myself :eek: lol

Thanks for your help :)

Michael Shiels

Hello DiSnEyF@n! I also posted a topic very similary to yours but more focused on the food at WDW. I am not sure of your health or activity level, but I recommend MyFitnessPal. It can be used from both an Apple or Android based smartphone as well as a PC. The app is a great tool for balancing calorie counting as well as activity logging. I use additional apps that link with MyFitnessPal to update my cardiovascular exercises. I have lost over 30 lbs so far which was my goal and I have enjoyed every bit of it. Heck, my wife started cooking some really great meals that are so much better in flavor and ingredients than what we used to eat.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Hello DiSnEyF@n! I also posted a topic very similary to yours but more focused on the food at WDW. I am not sure of your health or activity level, but I recommend MyFitnessPal. It can be used from both an Apple or Android based smartphone as well as a PC. The app is a great tool for balancing calorie counting as well as activity logging. I use additional apps that link with MyFitnessPal to update my cardiovascular exercises. I have lost over 30 lbs so far which was my goal and I have enjoyed every bit of it. Heck, my wife started cooking some really great meals that are so much better in flavor and ingredients than what we used to eat.

Good luck!

I think my husband uses that!! I will absolutely look into it. How long did it take you to drop the 30 lbs??? Thanks :)

Upvote 0

Michael Shiels

Oh! One very big piece of help I can offer...do not push it! Go slow and easy, it will not happen overnight as you know. I also recommend seting the goal to either 0.5 lb or 1 lb weight loss goal per week. You do not want to starve your body since it will only cripple your full potential.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

I definitely recommend keeping track of what you eat somehow, as well as taking it slowly and setting small goals. Maybe you can set a small (non-food) reward for yourself as you reach your small goals (i.e. for every 5 pounds you lose you treat yourself to a $5 Disney giftcard).

Good luck!!

Upvote 0

LiveyMouse22

Of course once you get to Disney you're going to want to delve into all the delicious food Disney has to offer (everyone always does, it's vacation)! I'm going through the same thing right now. The most important thing in my opinion is to stay motivated! We all have the rules we need to lose weight we just have to kick ourselves in the butt and say this is what my body needs right now! Weight loss is all a mental struggle, not a physical one! What I recommend is making that time for the gym (I know it might be hard having your daughter but you need to do it), even if you only have time to make a couple strolls around the block pushing your daughter in her stroller, just find that active "you" time. Meal choices is also really important. This is the time to cut out that junk out we've all allowed ourselves all year: soda, chips and dip, cheeseburgers, ice cream, cookies, etc. That is all waiting for you in Disney when you get down to where you want to be... and trust me, you'll miss it in the beginning but you'll live without it! Focus on the things that you should be eating: fish, chicken, eggs, yogurt, LOTS OF WATER, salads with dressing on the side, veggies, fruit, etc. It might sound boring but you CAN get creative with it. Craving a burger? Take the bun away. Need that snack after dinner? Put some peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread, fold it over and you have a small delicious peanut butter sandwich to hold you over until morning. Make sure you're doing lots of cardio and don't get discouraged! It takes a couple of weeks to start seeing the difference in your body but you WILL see it. Trust me, we're all going through this right now with summer approaching. You can do it! Remember mind over matter!! Keep a Disney World screensaver on your phone or something inspirational to keep you motivated every day. You will reach your goal by August! Hope this helps:)

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I definitely recommend keeping track of what you eat somehow, as well as taking it slowly and setting small goals. Maybe you can set a small (non-food) reward for yourself as you reach your small goals (i.e. for every 5 pounds you lose you treat yourself to a $5 Disney giftcard).

Good luck!!
Great idea!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Of course once you get to Disney you're going to want to delve into all the delicious food Disney has to offer (everyone always does, it's vacation)! I'm going through the same thing right now. The most important thing in my opinion is to stay motivated! We all have the rules we need to lose weight we just have to kick ourselves in the butt and say this is what my body needs right now! Weight loss is all a mental struggle, not a physical one! What I recommend is making that time for the gym (I know it might be hard having your daughter but you need to do it), even if you only have time to make a couple strolls around the block pushing your daughter in her stroller, just find that active "you" time. Meal choices is also really important. This is the time to cut out that junk out we've all allowed ourselves all year: soda, chips and dip, cheeseburgers, ice cream, cookies, etc. That is all waiting for you in Disney when you get down to where you want to be... and trust me, you'll miss it in the beginning but you'll live without it! Focus on the things that you should be eating: fish, chicken, eggs, yogurt, LOTS OF WATER, salads with dressing on the side, veggies, fruit, etc. It might sound boring but you CAN get creative with it. Craving a burger? Take the bun away. Need that snack after dinner? Put some peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread, fold it over and you have a small delicious peanut butter sandwich to hold you over until morning. Make sure you're doing lots of cardio and don't get discouraged! It takes a couple of weeks to start seeing the difference in your body but you WILL see it. Trust me, we're all going through this right now with summer approaching. You can do it! Remember mind over matter!! Keep a Disney World screensaver on your phone or something inspirational to keep you motivated every day. You will reach your goal by August! Hope this helps:)

Wow!!! Great advice! You are right about many things here. Thank you so much! I will use what you said as motivation to reach my goal! Thanks again :D

Upvote 0

tlev

As a new mom I know you don't have a lot of time so Focus T-25 might work for you. It's a new workout video by Beachbody. I've been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost 10 pounds. The workouts are 25 minutes, but they are very intense. There is a modifier for every excercise in case you are not fit enough to do all of the moves. The workouts rotate so it's not the same thing day after day. I'm really enjoying it, especially since the workouts are only 25 minutes long! Good luck with your weight loss goals!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I'm trying to lose a few as well for our Fall trip. I went back to the gym and feel this is what really helps me. Muscle burns fat remember and always helps my mentality. Plus I luuuuurv food so I've got to change something!! Congratulations on your daughter. There are lots of good exercise plans for home with small weights. Even videos on YouTube.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I know this is not what you want to hear (well, at least it's not what I wanted to hear), but it's all in the diet. I used to work out 6 days a week, 45 minutes a day and it was hard core. Like super hard core (boxing, plyometrics, kettle bells, etc.), but I didn't lose much weight. I built muscle, which made me bulkier than I wanted. What I have been doing successfully to now lose weight is I cut out the crap. I basically cut out all "processed" foods. In all fairness, it's not an absolute definition of "processed." But, basically, if it comes in a wrapper or box, I don't eat it with the exception of a healthy oat-based cereal in the morning. I have a veggie or fruit for a mid-morning snack, I have turkey and salad for lunch, a fruit/veggie for afternoon snack, and then dinner with a meat, veggie, fruit, and some high-grain or fiber carb. And, I drink a lot of water. I have not worked out at all since I started this, and I've still managed to lose 8 pounds over the last few weeks. It's the only thing that has truly worked for me. And, its something I have been able to commit to. Plus, I let myself "cheat" at least once a week. Even with the "cheats" I've still lost weight just cutting out the majority of the crap.

Upvote 0

Clamman73

I know this is not what you want to hear (well, at least it's not what I wanted to hear), but it's all in the diet. I used to work out 6 days a week, 45 minutes a day and it was hard core. Like super hard core (boxing, plyometrics, kettle bells, etc.), but I didn't lose much weight. I built muscle, which made me bulkier than I wanted. What I have been doing successfully to now lose weight is I cut out the crap. I basically cut out all "processed" foods. In all fairness, it's not an absolute definition of "processed." But, basically, if it comes in a wrapper or box, I don't eat it with the exception of a healthy oat-based cereal in the morning. I have a veggie or fruit for a mid-morning snack, I have turkey and salad for lunch, a fruit/veggie for afternoon snack, and then dinner with a meat, veggie, fruit, and some high-grain or fiber carb. And, I drink a lot of water. I have not worked out at all since I started this, and I've still managed to lose 8 pounds over the last few weeks. It's the only thing that has truly worked for me. And, its something I have been able to commit to. Plus, I let myself "cheat" at least once a week. Even with the "cheats" I've still lost weight just cutting out the majority of the crap.

I hear ya...I was surprised going through this long winter that I basically stayed the same weight w/out all the cycling that I usually do when it's warm out. When I lost a lot of weight, I had changed my diet (but also did a lot of cycling and some running) to more whole foods and especially changed what I have to eat at work. For example, I used to go out for lunch to get a deli sandwich, some weird energy drink, chips etc...but now I always bring to work a granola bar, a yogurt (low sugar content), a banana and apple or orange and drink water...

However, I think it's important to have an aerobic exercise component (for me it's cycling) as part of a person's overall healthy regimen.

Upvote 0

cw1982

Okay, so I just had my daughter in February and we are going to WDW in August. I am having a hard time finding the time to work out, but trust me, I am trying. With 4 months left (not mention summer is around the corner) I need to drop about 20 lbs (to be happy with how I look)... Anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this??? What did you do to drop some lbs before your BIG trip?? I feel like I am always hungry lol

FYI, I don't want to starve myself :eek: lol

Thanks for your help :)

Honestly, it depends on your body type and your overall health, among other things.

In my experience, if you feel like you're always hungry, you're probably not getting enough protein. While fruits and veggies are often touted as being "filling," they often don't keep most people full very often. Protein, on the other hand, in the form of lean meats especially, tends to sit in the stomach longer and take more time to digest, which means staying full longer.

Even with eating more protein, though, the biggest trick that helps me is eating every 3-4 hours and eating at least 15 grams of protein per "meal." I say "meal" in quotes because my meals are all about the same size, no matter what time of day and whether they occur at traditional meal times or snack times. This way I never have a chance to get overly hungry.

Also, water is your friend. Proper hydration, for most people, means taking your body weight in pounds, dividing that by two, and drinking that number in ounces of water per day, with more if you exercise. For example, I weigh 130 lbs. 130/2=65, so I need at least 65 ounces of water a day. Most days I get at least 80 ounces in because I always drink more when I exercise, but that's a bare minimum number to stay hydrated.

Good luck; you got this!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Honestly, it depends on your body type and your overall health, among other things.

In my experience, if you feel like you're always hungry, you're probably not getting enough protein. While fruits and veggies are often touted as being "filling," they often don't keep most people full very often. Protein, on the other hand, in the form of lean meats especially, tends to sit in the stomach longer and take more time to digest, which means staying full longer.

Even with eating more protein, though, the biggest trick that helps me is eating every 3-4 hours and eating at least 15 grams of protein per "meal." I say "meal" in quotes because my meals are all about the same size, no matter what time of day and whether they occur at traditional meal times or snack times. This way I never have a chance to get overly hungry.

Also, water is your friend. Proper hydration, for most people, means taking your body weight in pounds, dividing that by two, and drinking that number in ounces of water per day, with more if you exercise. For example, I weigh 130 lbs. 130/2=65, so I need at least 65 ounces of water a day. Most days I get at least 80 ounces in because I always drink more when I exercise, but that's a bare minimum number to stay hydrated.

Good luck; you got this!
I couldn't agree more about the protein and water ideas!!! Thanks... I will change my shopping habits this week to get more protein thanks again!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom