Looking to upgrade my lens.please help

KwikE

Original Poster
O Man! :oops::oops::eek::eek:I am lost now on what to do. So many different suggestions. It would mostly used for character pictures indoors and outdoors.

donsullivan

Premium Member
O Man! :oops::oops::eek::eek:I am lost now on what to do. So many different suggestions. It would mostly used for character pictures indoors and outdoors.

As @PhotoDave219 said above, I'd stick with what you have right now. It's a good general purpose lens that covers a wide focal range and isn't ridiculously large or heavy. The combination of that lens and the high ISO performance of the D750 (I have one and love it) can cover a pretty wide range of shooting conditions and subjects.

Before you invest in another flash, do some experimenting with the one that's already on the top of your camera and get comfortable with it. It can be very useful as a fill light for character shooting. In most cases it will be just fine. The only challenge it can sometimes have with the lens you have is on close subjects, the lens can cast a shadow on the bottom of the frame but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for you with what you've described your subjects to be.

As someone who has heavily invested in gear over the years the one thing I can say is that the most you can expect from a gear upgrade is for it remove a constraint you previously had in your shooting. However, if you can't articulate what constraint you are trying to remove, it's not possible to remove that constraint and you risk upgrading for the sake of it and nothing will change in your results.

NowInc

The best way to learn and get better is to pack light. For some reason a few people come to me and ask for suggestions on what they should start with as far as gear goes, and my answer is always the same. A prime lens (either 35mm or 50mm). It forces you to learn how to not only plan a shot (hopefully with good composition), but with its faster aperture is more flexible in regards to exposure. You can really experiment to see how each aspect of the triangle changes your capture.

I guess in retrospect, along with the gear suggestion, we should have asked your skill level, as well as what previous body/lens you have used (if any).

thomas998

I remember my first trip with a APS size sensor camera trying to get meet and greets and other Disney things. The kit lens was actually all I really needed for the meet and greets and that was a long time ago using an old D50.... You have a much better camera with much better ISO and your lens is wider than what I used way back then... Your lens is fine. I did have an external flash and remember the biggest advantage it gave me over the on camera flash was that I could shoot quicker with a much lower cycle time. I'm not familiar with the D750 so I have no idea how long the cycle time is on the flash but that is something to consider... Also it is easier to diffuse the flash on an external flash than an on camera flash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom