1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Looking For Unbiased Opinions

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club' started by Scott M, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Scott M

Scott M New Member

My wife and I have a one and a half year old son. We've been to WDW several times, but not since before our son was born. We do not anticipate getting down to WDW with our son until he is 4 or 5 years old.

We would really like his first time to be something that he would remember, and we want to assure that he's out of diapers and beyond the need for naptime (even though we're certain that the excitement of WDW will knock him out midday anyway).

In any event, when we do finally get back down there, we're anticipating re-visiting at least every other year. We're thinking of purchasing a DVC. My questions are:

What are the pros and cons of purchasing new or resale? We would like a Boardwalk or Beach Club DVC, and we know that they are no longer available new.

Should we be thinking of buying now, even though we do not anticipate going for another 3 years?

Is it even worth it to buy a DVC? Those of you who are owners - would you recommend buying? Why?

Thanks for any and all input that you could give.

Scott

2. Yellow Shoes

Yellow Shoes Well-Known Member

If you're for sure wanting Beach Club or Boardwalk, your only option is resale. (but I'm sure you knew that)

I am also assuming that you understand the mechanics of borrowing and banking points for DVC.

You could buy in a year before you intend to go, and bank the points for a longer or additional trip.

...and, even though I will get slammed for this, IMHO, 5 is a great age for a first trip. My kids all went then (thanks, Granddad!!), and they were able to walk all day (believe me, you'll be good and tired of dealing with the stroller by then!!) and could function pretty well with frequent stops. Quite honestly, if the kid was ready to stop, we were also. At 5, they are tall enough for everything except doing the Indy Speedway alone, enjoy the characters without fear, and are far less likely to freak out in the dark rides. (One of the worst kid freak outs I ever saw happened in Pirates of the Caribbean, which I would suspect most parents wouldn't think twice about. BUt that queue is a little intimidating for little people.)

the above is MY OPINION, and Scott M seems to be of the same mind. My goal was to provide affirmation for what seems to be an unpopular opinion around here. I know that many of you take young children to WDW and have a wonderful time, kids do great, etc. All of us are different parents, and some of us don't want to be restricted by the needs of toddlers on an expensive vacation. Please let's not turn this into the "too young for WDW?" debate.

3. socalkdg

socalkdg Member

My daughter turns 4 this December and in January she will be taking her third trip to WDW. She's been to DLR at least 50 times. I think each kid is different and can start enjoying Disney as early as 1. Plus its still free. WDW has a great kid exchange for the rides.

What I'm saying is you might not need to wait another 3 years. Concerning resale or new. If you want BWV or BCV(good choice, I'm a BWV owner, on the waiting list for BCV) then resale is the only way to go. You can also get by with a 100 pt contract if you go every other year.

Concerning selling your DVC, it actually has a better resale than all the other timeshares that I know of. I bought at $73, now I could get $82.

If you normally stay at onsite in a deluxe and plan on going every other year, DVC is a nice way to save some money.

4. Scott M

Scott M New Member Original Poster

I really appreciate the information that I'm getting here. I don't know much about DVC, and I can't say that I know much about timeshares in general either.

I would very much like to get educated on DVC, because when it does comes time to purchase a timeshare, DVC would be where I would like to be. I need to get familiar with their point system and whatnot.

I also know that I would like my DVC to be at either the Boardwalk or the Beach Club, as I've stayed at both and really enjoy everything about these resorts, especially the location.

I did not want to contact DVC directly, as I understand that my preferences are sold out, and I do not have an interest in Saratoga Springs.

Maybe I'll give the sponsor of this forum a call, The Timeshare Store, and see what information they have to offer.

Until then, I appreciate these responses. Thank you.

Scott

5. ConstanceIrene

ConstanceIrene Member

Just because you buy points at SSR, it doesn't mean you have to stay there each time you go to WDW. It just means that you can't make your reservations for BWV or BCR until 7 months out. You can also make reservations for any WDW resort 11 months out. There are, of course, certain rules to each booking, but it's not hard to learn the ins and outs of having a DVC membership.
    Our contact at DVC was wonderful and never pressured us. Order the DVD for yourself to have a look. It's free.
    As a member since 1999, I can only tell you that my family is sooooooo happy to be members. One Long Islander to another, feel free to ask any questions through a PM. My husband loves to tell people how I should be a rep for DVC, but then, they say the members are the best salespeople they have!

6. artvandelay

artvandelay Well-Known Member

The big advantage to owning at the Boardwalk is getting early access to the standard view rooms. THis will save you a lot of points, if you don't mind looking at the parking lot. Remember, your maitenance is higher at Boardwalk than it is at Saratoga or OKW.

7. MickeyTigg

MickeyTigg New Member

You need to do what you think is best for you but we've taken the kids to WDW when they were younger than 4 and 5 years old and they had a great time. We have an older child and we didn't want to deny him WDW just because of younger siblings.

We took things at a slower pace but it still was a family vacation and a family experience at WDW.

What I'm saying is...there is nothing that says you have to wait another 3-4 years to go if you don't want to. If you don't think you can do the stroller thing and change diapers on the fly at WDW then wait...we didn't and we were fine.

Back to the DVC discussion...

The biggest advantage is the extra space. We are at OKW and we always use a 2 BR unit (there are 5 of us). The luxury of having two separate bedrooms, a living room and 2 bathrooms is wonderful. We've stayed at hotels since joining DVC and the difference is amazing.

8. MrBearr

MrBearr New Member

Scott M

I'm not sure I'm "unbiased". I have been a DVC member since 1993 and I think it's a great thing. Other timeshares limit you to a specific time, a specific place and specific room sizes. DVC does not. We go when it's best for us, we have a room or rooms as needed, we have the benefit of Disney transport anywhere we choose to go as well as a discount on admissions. If my husband and I aren't going, my children and their children can use it. Actually, we went this year and are banking next years points (we're cruising to Hawaii next year) because we want kids and grandkids to join us in 2007.
    We can also choose to use points for any "associate" time shares throughout the world. We haven't used that option, but may in the future.

We are, of course, owners at Old Key West and find the "getting away" to a quiet, slow pace after the excitement of the parks a welcome change. We took our 4 year old grandson this year and enjoyed going back home (and it truly feels like "home") when it was hot and crowds were thick. Kick back and re-energize for the afternoon and evening.

Staying on Disney property, regardless of where you stay, is a great advantage and even if I weren't a DVC member, would not stay off property again (I did the first few times I went).

9. DisneyPhD

DisneyPhD Well-Known Member

You can contact DVC and get info from them. Just because you don't want to buy SSR doesn't mean DVC can't help you out. I think it is best to get the info right from them. The DVC system can be a little bit difficult to understand at 1st so from from source is the best idea. They do infact handel resale contracts and sometimes that can even be the most cost effective because there is no closing costs.

Just so you know DVC can make it a lot easier to go with young kids. Do what you want, if you want to wait until your child is 5 go ahead. My DD is almost 5 and it is a really great time to go to WDW. However this next trip will be her 7th trip (maybe more.) Her baby sister will be 17 months old on her 3rd trip to WDW.

Here is the thing, parents with young kids need vacation too and WDW is a great place for it. It is so family friendly if you do it right. (just like any vacatio with kids you have to do it right.) What is right for one family might not be for others (back to the room for naps ect...)

Anyway we bought DVC when our baby oldest child was a year old and we really love it. We bought at VWL. It is not my favorite resort, we have only stayed there once so far. (It isn't bad, just I like the others too.)

I was going to wait to go on a cruise because I thought it would be too hard with young kids. After talking to a number of parents who has taken a Disney curise with babies I found out my misconceptions were wrong. We haven't one yet. I am now longer blaming the baby for that, :lol: but because it isn't on the schdule yet. (May 2007 for now.)

More info on DVC can be found here. (in addtion to Magic!) :animwink: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

10. HauntedPirate

HauntedPirate Well-Known Member

What I would do in your situation:

Stay at All Star:Movies for your son's first trip. While there, book a DVC meeting (there's a large playroom for your son, he *won't* be bored. ;) ). Have your questions ready to ask, and fire away.

We decided to join because we were basically buying our future vacations for a price that's (more or less) fixed right now. We also knew that we were going to need a larger room in the future, and having 1-2 bedroom accomodations was very appealing to us.

Also, as has been stated, having Saratoga Springs as your Home Resort does not mean you cannot stay elsewhere, you just have an advantage over others. You can book 11-months out at your Home Resort, and 7-months out at other DVC properties. Also, if you were to purchase directly from the DVC and get in at SSR, you could purchase points at a later date from someone selling at the Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas. Then those points allow you the 4-month advantage in booking.

One final thing - purchasing at SSR now, your lease doesn't expire until 2052, whereas the older DVC properties leases' expire in 2042 or 2043 (I think).
    Hope this helps!

11. lebeau

lebeau Well-Known Member

Probably the biggest financial consideration is whether or not you can pay for the whole thing up front. Generally if you have to finance your purchase, you are unlikely to come out ahead financially. The general impression I get from these boards is that most people who buy into DVC are doing so out of emotional reasons rather than financial ones.

12. robynchic

robynchic New Member

If you're visiting every other year, it's definitely worth it. DVC doesn't go by dollar amounts; it goes by a point system. Every year, you get a certain number of points. If you choose not to go to Disney that year, they roll over into the next year. So for instance, my family (DVC members x3) has roughly 420 points/year. If my family doesn't stay at a DVC resort for one year, and goes the next, then we'll have 840 DVC points to use. You can also borrow from one year AHEAD if you want some kind of upgrade.

Another thing about DVC- if/when you do sell your timeshare back, you get however much it's worth at the time you sell, vs. however much it was worth when you purchased it.

DVC members also have special events just for them (for instance, members-only cruises, homecomings), and they get discounts on other stuff in WDW.

Now, where you want to purchase from, you may not have much choice. If you can't get Beach Club or Boardwalk (I've stayed at both), I recommend that you see if you can get Saratoga Springs (where I've also stayed). It's closest to Pleasure Island, but it's GORGEOUS.

And if you want to save up those DVC points so your son can have the best experience possible, SURE! Buy now. You can call DVC to find out if their rates are about to go up. If they are, definitely buy now.

DVC isn't just for WDW. You can also use your member points to go to Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Disneyland, or Disneyland Paris. FURTHERMORE, you can use the points to go around the world (My parents are thinking of going on an African safari). I believe these trips go by trading some of your points for someone else's points that has a timeshare somewhere else in the world, and they can use the points you traded to stay in a DVC resort. But I'm not 100% sure.

Finally, DVC is not for the short-term. I believe my family has something around 40 years of DVC for Beach Club, and 50 years for Saratoga Springs. My parents intend on giving my brother and me the timeshares when they can't use it anymore, and they've specifically asked me and my brother to use it for a honeymoon or a big family trip.

I hope I haven't got your head spinning with all this info, and maybe it is a little biased, but I hope it's informative enough for you to make your decision!

13. Yellow Shoes

Yellow Shoes Well-Known Member

Actually, DVC points are like anything else--they are worth what someone will pay for them. (You don't really think that those people on "Antiques Road Show" always find someone willing to pay the amount the experts assign to the item, do you? If they sell it, they will get what someone is willing to pay.)

I will say that Disney does keep the re-sale prices high, which benefits the seller.

14. Scott M

Scott M New Member Original Poster

Robynchic & Yellow Shoes,

Thank you both for your recent input. Thanks to you and everyone else that have posted responses on this thread, I've been able to become very enlightened to the DVC system.

As I've stated earlier, I didn't know anything about timeshares at all, let alone DVC. I see how DVC is different from all other timeshares and I'm impressed with these differences, with the exception of only having ownership for a finite period of time.

My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a DVC, we just want to be assured that we have as much information as possible before we take the pen to the paper.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who have taken the time to give your input.

Scott

15. ripleysmom

ripleysmom New Member

The fact of the matter is that pretty much whether you buy now or whether you buy later, it is a breakeven either way. If you buy now, points are cheaper but you will have to pay annual dues so either way the points wind up costing you roughly the same amount of money.

If I were buying in now I would buy SSR regardless of where I wanted to stay. It just makes sense to me to pay the same amount of money for something that I will get an extra 12 yrs of pleasure from. As someone else mentioned SSR is a beautful resort and I was very impressed when I stayed there.

The other thing that is worth considering are all those pesky DVC @ Contemporary rumors. Definitely something to consider.....

One other thing is that if you decide to purchase now just remember that banking and borrowing your points for a Disney Cruise is a very nice option. You wouldn't have to worry about whether your child could do the parks and cruising can be an excellent family vacation.

16. Magic Maker

Magic Maker New Member

Scott M-
    Hello. I am a DVC Cast Member. My role is to educate Guests briefly about DVC out in the parks and resorts. I do not sell the membership and I do not know all the ins and outs of DVC. I would suggest going to www.disneyvacationclub.com and order a DVD. The website and DVD will NOT go into the specifics that you need. You need to speak to a human to get the specifics :). But the website and DVD are a start.

In order to talk to a human you have the DVD/Info packet option, which will result in a follow-up phone call from someone whose job is similar to mine but it is done over the phone, they will then ask if you want to be connected with a Vacation Club Guide. They are the ones who can answer all of your questions.
    Or you can wait until your next trip to WDW to attend an Open House, which is a visit to Saratoga Springs and a face to face, one on one meeting with a Vacation Club Guide.

Once you are in touch with a DVC Guide they become your counselor. They are a Disney Cast Member that will assist you through your exploration of DVC no matter how long that may take.

17. mickeyman

mickeyman New Member

take the tour. it is worth it. they will answer all your questions and at the end they gave me a $50 gift card good for anything at WDW.