Looking for info on UnDISCOVERed Future World Tour

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
This January my sister and I will be back at WDW for a few days. We've both been going to WDW for decades and are always looking for new stuff to do. We don't have a ton of money to spend but we briefly discussed doing a tour. I think we have it narrowed down to Keys to the Kingdom, UnDISCOVERed Future World, or Backstage Magic. Backstage Magic is a bit too expensive for us but not completely off the table. I've done Keys to the Kingdom before (although its been probably close to 15 years ago now) and she's never done any tour. I'm mainly curious about the Future World one though. I've looked around online a bit for info but there isn't much specific out there. What places are visited? Worth it or not?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Thanks. The Disney World site only works intermittently for me and when I went looking last night I couldn't actually load the page about the tour. Forgot to go back and look today. Glad to see there is one semi-recent review on this site. I looked on another popular Disney site and there were zero reviews (recent or otherwise) of this particular tour. I guess we will flip a coin. I am leaning towards Future World though. I'm much more of a fan of Epcot than MK.

Tom

Beta Return
Backstage Magic is worth every penny of the hefty fee - at least for me. In my life, I believe I've taken it 3 times, most recently with my wife.

You have to REALLY be into the behind-the-scenes stuff. My favorite parts of the most recent version were the tour of the American Adventure backstage area...watching the AA carriage move, and hear them run the show from under the stage. And the stop inside the ToT maintenance bay, where we got up close and personal with an elevator.

roj2323

Backstage Magic is worth every penny of the hefty fee - at least for me. In my life, I believe I've taken it 3 times, most recently with my wife.

You have to REALLY be into the behind-the-scenes stuff. My favorite parts of the most recent version were the tour of the American Adventure backstage area...watching the AA carriage move, and hear them run the show from under the stage. And the stop inside the ToT maintenance bay, where we got up close and personal with an elevator.
The TOT maintenance bay is kinda cool. The backsides of the elevator cars is something to be seen as it's amazing how much technology is under your butt.

officialtom

We did KTTK back in April and absolutely loved it. It was the only day of rain for our ten-day stay, and it only rained for an hour or so -- and we were underground! Worth every cent to learn even a fraction of what happens behind-the-scenes. Our tour guide was on her first solo tour ever and was actually being graded by an undercover CM, and she did a wonderful job. We were thoroughly impressed by her knowledge of the world's operations and by the way she handled tricky questions.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster

Ugh. Now you are making me think I need to scrape together the money to do Backstage Magic. *digs in the couch cushions*

TB4244

We took the Undiscovered FutureWorld tour last year and it was amazing. Seriously it was worth every penny, my only complaint being that it was too short as I could have have done that one all day. Our guide was awesome and full of knowledge about my favourite park even though it was only his second time out. First off he told us a lot of information on the building of SSE and had a piece of the material it's constructed from with him so we could see it. Afterwards he took us through Innoventions after a rundown on the history of the fountain. We then walked to the land pavilion stoping briefly to appreciate the jammin janitors (I hadn't seen them before). He explained about the mosaic at the entrance with some intriguing details before going inside. After a brief stop for food we jumped the line straight on to Soarin', which is worth it alone! I got lucky as he sat next to me and pointed out a lot of things I hadn't noticed in the film before.
We took in the Living Seas next and went into the conference/events room which quite frankly is fabulous with its huge windows into the tank. It's very posh in there.
Back across to Mission Space next where we saw the sponsors suite above the queue line (didn't know it was there) and out round to the back of Test Track under the track itself and we got to look in the garage where the cars are serviced. There's 18 wheels on those things!
The next part was our favourite as he took us into the CM building and costume warehouse. It's huge! We went into the wig room with every characters hair you could think of is located. Across from that was a dressing room with 4 ladies were preparing themselves to get dressed up as princesses.
Lastly we went back out to see the fireworks barges and friendship boats. That Earth inferno barge looks a lot different in daylight.
After that he took us through a door and we were in the China pavillion much to my amazement.

There's a lot of walking and as I recall it lasts about 5 hours. But trust me if you like Epcot, you'll love the tour. Oh and you get a cool pin too.

Hope that helps?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
We took the Undiscovered FutureWorld tour last year and it was amazing. Seriously it was worth every penny, my only complaint being that it was too short as I could have have done that one all day. Our guide was awesome and full of knowledge about my favourite park even though it was only his second time out. First off he told us a lot of information on the building of SSE and had a piece of the material it's constructed from with him so we could see it. Afterwards he took us through Innoventions after a rundown on the history of the fountain. We then walked to the land pavilion stoping briefly to appreciate the jammin janitors (I hadn't seen them before). He explained about the mosaic at the entrance with some intriguing details before going inside. After a brief stop for food we jumped the line straight on to Soarin', which is worth it alone! I got lucky as he sat next to me and pointed out a lot of things I hadn't noticed in the film before.
We took in the Living Seas next and went into the conference/events room which quite frankly is fabulous with its huge windows into the tank. It's very posh in there.
Back across to Mission Space next where we saw the sponsors suite above the queue line (didn't know it was there) and out round to the back of Test Track under the track itself and we got to look in the garage where the cars are serviced. There's 18 wheels on those things!
The next part was our favourite as he took us into the CM building and costume warehouse. It's huge! We went into the wig room with every characters hair you could think of is located. Across from that was a dressing room with 4 ladies were preparing themselves to get dressed up as princesses.
Lastly we went back out to see the fireworks barges and friendship boats. That Earth inferno barge looks a lot different in daylight.
After that he took us through a door and we were in the China pavillion much to my amazement.

There's a lot of walking and as I recall it lasts about 5 hours. But trust me if you like Epcot, you'll love the tour. Oh and you get a cool pin too.

Hope that helps?

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

BrerJon

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I took the tour as well, it was fantastic, although I think they vary where they take you. When I did it they went to the room (I think above Imagination) where all the 3D glasses for Star Tours and EO are cleaned, and behind the scenes of Universe of Energy where I got to control a dinosaur animatronic.

I think for a new guest, Keys is probably better as the tunnels are more famous, but Undiscovered is essentially Keys To The Kingdom Part 2, so a nice follow-up.

Backstage Magic is great but pricey and they pad it out with a lot of stuff at DAK now that they didn't used to, so I'm not sure how in depth it goes.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I did UnDISCOVERed Future World years ago... and it sounds much the same as the run down given above. I'd do it again. :D

I still havent done Keys to the Kingdom or Backstage Magic yet... and I want to.

TB4244

We so wanted to do Backstage Magic this year, but unfortunately the budget won't stretch that far. Next time, next time...

TB4244

I took the tour as well, it was fantastic, although I think they vary where they take you. When I did it they went to the room (I think above Imagination) where all the 3D glasses for Star Tours and EO are cleaned, and behind the scenes of Universe of Energy where I got to control a dinosaur animatronic.

I think for a new guest, Keys is probably better as the tunnels are more famous, but Undiscovered is essentially Keys To The Kingdom Part 2, so a nice follow-up.

Backstage Magic is great but pricey and they pad it out with a lot of stuff at DAK now that they didn't used to, so I'm not sure how in depth it goes.

Yep thats where the room is, most of the specs were from Captain EO. But the tour obviously does vary as we didn't get to see the dinos....awwwww.

JohnD

My next trip will be my "Backstage Palooza" trip with other special event stuff worked in. To make sure tours, etc. were paid for as soon as I charged my credit card, I transferred the amount from my checking account to the Visa account right then and there (they're all tied together in the same credit union account). I did this over several pay periods. Also, knowing these items were already paid off on my Visa will reduce my WDW Visa bill to just hotel, food, and incidentals.

Here's my schedule:
  • 10/19: MK -- MNSSHP
  • 10/20: AK -- Wild Africa Trek
  • 10/21: HS (morning), Ep (afternoon/evening). No tours
  • 10/22: Ep -- UnDISCOVERed Future World
  • 10/23: Ep -- Behind the Seeds Tour, Mixology Seminar, Late Night LIVE (part of Premium Package)
  • 10/24: MK (until 7pm) -- KTTK, Ep (evening)
  • 10/25: Ep -- Parisian Breakfast

JohnD

Hope that helps?

Just to clarify. They definitely take you on Soarin? I have a FP+ for it after the tour. If so, I'll switch it to TT.

JohnD

Thanks. Just to hedge my bets, I changed my 10/25 FP+ from TT to Soarin and my 10/22 FP+ from Soarin to TT.

Last edited:

Astro_Digital

I always had mixed feelings about the tours and I done them all. They are interesting and when I am on vacation and have the time it is great to do a tour, but on the flip side do I really want do know Mickey Mouse is actually a small woman or man in a costume. Mickey Mouse is not real, how dare they !!! I also like how it feels to be on a tour, you are a VIP not like those average tourists wondering about but I on the flip side what I see often reminds me of work and I want to escape work in Walt Disney World. Yes I would do this tour and recommend it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom