Looking for a DSLR

thomas998

Thank you all for the input!
No I do not intend on using flash on any of the rides where it is not permitted. I have been on those rides and in my opinion people who use flash on rides and during shows should be asked to leave.

I don't even want the view screen on during rides because the backlight on it in itself can be very un-magical for those around you.

I am not expecting a DSLR to suddenly give me those pictures I want instantly.

My father had a film SLR with MANY lenses but this was back when he did high school yearbook stuff. I am going to try and get home and check the camera bag out and see what is there. No idea how compatible the older things are with the newer.

stay tuned!

If he old lenses were Nikon then they will work on a lot of new Nikon DSLRs... the only thing to remember is that some of the oldest Nikon lenses didn't have auto focus, those lenses would still work but would be manual focus only. Then there are the early auto focus Nikon lenses they will work with Nikon DSLRs but will only autofocus on the Nikon bodies that have built in motors, these tend to be the more expensive ones. The entry level Nikon bodies will not have the built in focus motor.

Canon lenses came in two flavors FD and EF mount, if it is an EF mount it will work on their newer digital bodies if it is a FD it wont.

Minolta lenses would came in two flavors the oldest wont work, the auto focus lenses will work fine on a Sony dslr.

I'm not sure about any of the more obscure systems, but if he had something else just post I'm sure someone on the forum can let you know if it is compatible with anything made today.

One other note, if you go to a mirrorless digital camera then you can pretty much get an adapter for any of the old lenses. You likely wouldn't have autofocus even if the lens had it, but that is also an option.

sporadic

Sadly enough the most use it will see is on trips to Disney and other vacation getaways.

For the most part I am looking to take most picture on rides, moving objects, low light, parades. Those are the pictures my point and shoot just cant capture.

Are you set on a DSLR? If you can live with a fixed focal length, something like a Fuji X100S may fit the bill and be much easier to travel with. Same size sensor as the DSLRs in your price range with a 23mm F/2 lens. The picture quality will more than likely surpass the cheaper DSLR options. Then again if you need the lens options and versatility a DSLR provides it won't work for you.

CP_alum08

^^yup, I was just going to suggest a mirrorless system. A few years ago I would have laughed at the idea but they have come so far in just a couple years. Companies like sony, Panasonic, Olympus, etc. are innovating faster than nikon and canon are right now.

The Olympus cameras may be out of your budget, but look at some of the Sony NEX cameras and the Panasonic line. Really the only thing they are lacking (compared to a DSLR) is continuous autofocus, which unless you're a sports photographer...isn't a huge deal.

NowInc

Although keep in mind with mirrorless comes tradeoffs. Battery life being the big one. Thats the main thing holding me back from switching (lenses are on the way..supposedly), and so far no one has nailed it in that aspect.

CP_alum08

Although keep in mind with mirrorless comes tradeoffs. Battery life being the big one. Thats the main thing holding me back from switching (lenses are on the way..supposedly), and so far no one has nailed it in that aspect.
Battery life seems like a trivial thing to me. For the amount of size and weight you "sacrifice" with a mirrorless you can easily throw another battery or two in your bag.

And I agree with you on lenses but I think they will come soon. Mirrorless seems to be gaining a lot of speed with the pros and when they have a demand there will be a supply.

NowInc

Battery life seems like a trivial thing to me. For the amount of size and weight you "sacrifice" with a mirrorless you can easily throw another battery or two in your bag.

And I agree with you on lenses but I think they will come soon. Mirrorless seems to be gaining a lot of speed with the pros and when they have a demand there will be a supply.

Oh I completely agree. I just figured i would point out the downsides. The batteries (tho not cheap) are easily thrown in a bag with all the space you save. I myself think I will jump on board with the next round of releases. Its "not quite" there for me...but so close.

fractal

^^yup, I was just going to suggest a mirrorless system. A few years ago I would have laughed at the idea but they have come so far in just a couple years. Companies like sony, Panasonic, Olympus, etc. are innovating faster than nikon and canon are right now.

The Olympus cameras may be out of your budget, but look at some of the Sony NEX cameras and the Panasonic line. Really the only thing they are lacking (compared to a DSLR) is continuous autofocus, which unless you're a sports photographer...isn't a huge deal.

The new Sony A6000 ( NEX 6 replacement ) has continuous autofocus and claims to have the fastest AF. I'm thinking of selling my NEX-7 for one but this new mirrorless is bigger and has less features. I do believe, like @NowInc said, the next generation will take a big leap forward so I decided to wait.

For people entering the ILC market, the prices on some of these mirrorless cameras are very appealing.

ddbowdoin

If they weren't 50 - 70 bucks a whack I would agree with you... the XPro1 I shot Disney with last year was a joke, by 10AM I was in the red.

ddbowdoin

if you can deal with a micro 4/3rd's system... these things are freaking amazing. You lose some capability with a smaller sensor but ergonomic and super fast AF systems make these things beasts.

OM-D E-M1

http://cameras.olympus.com/en-us/omd

You have to ask yourself... and answer honestly, whats the final destination of your images. If you're keeping them online and printing occasionally nothing more than 8x10 you don't need to worry about sensor size.

habuma

The camera is just a tool..the photographer makes the image :) So no certain DSLR will get you guaranteed results.

I agree with this statement...to a point.

Certainly I've taken some outstanding pics with my Nikon D3000. Heck, aside from the lack of RAW image support, I've taken some real keepers with the camera on my iPhone. Certainly, any reasonably skilled photographer can produce decent images using any camera. HOWEVER...

It's important to recognize the limits of the equipment you're using. While the D3000 and iPhone 5s can take good (and even great) photos under the right conditions, I've yet to produce a satisfactory image from a dark ride. Trial and error and fast glass have given me some ho-hum dark ride images, but nothing spectacular. (And no, I *NEVER* use the flash.)

I now recognize the limits of the D3000 and am in the market for a slightly better camera. Like the OP, I have a restrictive budget...so I'm not buying top-of-the-line. But based on reviews, the D7000 might get me closer to my photography goals. And I can get a body-only for well within my budget. (The D7100 pushes my budget a bit too much or else I'd jump to that.)

Anyhow, I just wanted to give my opinion that any equipment can produce awesome photos, but it's important to (1) understand how to properly use it to get the best results and (2) understand its limits. Also, any advice on the D7000 (or other Nikon equipment in that same price range) would be appreciated.

ddbowdoin

I agree with this statement...to a point.

Certainly I've taken some outstanding pics with my Nikon D3000. Heck, aside from the lack of RAW image support, I've taken some real keepers with the camera on my iPhone. Certainly, any reasonably skilled photographer can produce decent images using any camera. HOWEVER...

It's important to recognize the limits of the equipment you're using. While the D3000 and iPhone 5s can take good (and even great) photos under the right conditions, I've yet to produce a satisfactory image from a dark ride. Trial and error and fast glass have given me some ho-hum dark ride images, but nothing spectacular. (And no, I *NEVER* use the flash.)

I now recognize the limits of the D3000 and am in the market for a slightly better camera. Like the OP, I have a restrictive budget...so I'm not buying top-of-the-line. But based on reviews, the D7000 might get me closer to my photography goals. And I can get a body-only for well within my budget. (The D7100 pushes my budget a bit too much or else I'd jump to that.)

Anyhow, I just wanted to give my opinion that any equipment can produce awesome photos, but it's important to (1) understand how to properly use it to get the best results and (2) understand its limits. Also, any advice on the D7000 (or other Nikon equipment in that same price range) would be appreciated.
7000 is a great body, use it for a lot of video. As for still images, gets a little hairy at ISO 3200 even though people claim to get clean images... You'll see some fringing issues and some soft glowing even from higher end lenses at that ISO. AF can be a little funky.

PhotoDave219

I've seen some pictures from members on here that were taken with a basic entry level Nikon and a 11-16mm Tokina lens.

Taking the picture is only 1/2 the battle. The other is post processing.

I'm sorry, but you cannot adjust composition in post. A skill that is sorely lacking these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom