Looking For a Cheap Ride...

crazygirley

Original Poster
Okay, I need some opinions. If January 6th rolls around and the Magical Express discontinues, what is the CHEAPEST way to get from Pop Century to Orlando International? Thanks!

crazygirley

Original Poster
Well, thanks for the suggestions... and the humor. Unfortunately, I am NOT going to Universal, I am going to WDW. (You do realize that this is a WDW site, right?) And I am most certianly not walking there, but I have to agree, that would be the cheapest.

Any other (more serious) suggestions?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
crazygirley said:
You do realize that this is a WDW site, right

Universal has a direct affect on Disney, so I think its appropriate to discuss Universal. Now his avatar is a different story. Some might think its disrespectful.

wild01ride

The Mears "4 Hour Special" is probably as cheap as you can get. (And believe it or not, I'm not being funny or suggesting Universal!)
When I needed a one-way ride, that's what I had to go with too.

However, I can't imagine DME going away by Jan. I think Disney could tie this thing up in the courts to pull through the Holidays at least! LOL!

wild01ride

hakunamatata said:
Universal has a direct affect on Disney, so I think its appropriate to discuss Universal.
Albeit not in a "WDW Resorts, Restaurants, Cruise Line, and Trip Planning Forum"!

hakunamatata said:
Now his avatar is a different story. Some might think its disrespectful.
If not sacreligious!

crazygirley

Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
Universal has a direct affect on Disney, so I think its appropriate to discuss Universal. Now his avatar is a different story. Some might think its disrespectful.
Just a little... you think?

crazygirley

Original Poster
wild01ride said:
The Mears "4 Hour Special" is probably as cheap as you can get. (And believe it or not, I'm not being funny or suggesting Universal!)
When I needed a one-way ride, that's what I had to go with too.

However, I can't imagine DME going away by Jan. I think Disney could tie this thing up in the courts to pull through the Holidays at least! LOL!
I'll have to look into that... thanks!!! You remember about how much that set you back?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
crazygirley said:
Just a little... you think?

If Universal was not in Orlando, you would have a larger local croud at WDW. Universal helps to deflect some of that croud off of Disney and vice versa...

crazygirley

Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
If Universal was not in Orlando, you would have a larger local croud at WDW. Universal helps to deflect some of that croud off of Disney and vice versa...
And this, hakunamatata, IMO is the only good thing about Universal. But the more power to you and the other poster (with the exception of his offensive avatar) for your own opinions on the park. I haven't said anything negative about your opinion, so let me have mine.

But I still don't see how Universal has anything at all to do with my trying to find a reasonable ride from Pop Century to Orlando International... do you?

wild01ride

crazygirley said:
I'll have to look into that... thanks!!! You remember about how much that set you back?

I want to say that it was like $15 or $16. Not good, but about as goo das you can get.
You might make the trip in under four hours too since you're going from WDW to MCO and can "schedule" a pickup. When I went from MCO to WDW, I had to wait not for "enough" people to fill a van, but for enough people to fill a van going to where I was going. There were plenty of other vans leaving to go to other resorts.
I watched all the kids laughing, playing. "Ew, we're going to get to see Mickey!" Psht! There I sat, minutes passed, then hours...

(In case you couldn't tell, it wasn't the best way to kick off a WDW trip! :lol: )

dflye

The cheapest way other than walking, ride-sharing with strangers (a.k.a. hitch-hiking), and other rather unsafe means of transportation, how about taking LYNX?

LYNX is the local public bus system, and they have routes all over the place, including on WDW property and the airport. I don't know if there is a direct route, so while you may save $30 or $40, I'd guess you would pay for it in a few hours of waiting for the wheels on the bus to go 'round-and-'round. :)

Map of LYNX system for SW Orlando

LYNX route planning assist request form

So, I guess the question is, how much do you need to save, and what is your lost vacation time worth to you in dollars per hour?

crazygirley

Original Poster
wild01ride said:
(In case you couldn't tell, it wasn't the best way to kick off a WDW trip! :lol: )
Yeah... and it doesn't sound like the best way to end a WDW trip either!!! After hearing that horror story, paying for a cab doesn't sound half bad!!!

crazygirley

Original Poster
dflye said:
So, I guess the question is, how much do you need to save, and what is your lost vacation time worth to you in dollars per hour?
I'm going with someone else, and I guess the max I am willing to pay is $25. I don't want to pay $25, but I don't want to sit around on a stinky shuttle that I have paid for either. I'd do the ME if it is still around... that's free. I won't pay to sit around on a bus/shuttle.

I can so the Quicksilver towncar for $50... so that would be $25 a person. That might have to work for me.

CTXRover

I'm not sure of the cheapest ride (sorry), but I just wanted to make sure you were asking a hypothetical question given some of the debate over DME with limo/taxi drivers.

DME is expected and will continue to operate free of charge until at least January 1st, 2007. At the very least, as long as you have signed up to use DME already, I'm almost 100% positive Disney WILL get you to and from the airport free of charge. Some modifications to the program may be put in place to soften the anger from those losing Disney's guests as their source of income, but the program is very successful as far as Disney is concerned.

crazygirley

Original Poster
CTXRover said:
I'm not sure of the cheapest ride (sorry), but I just wanted to make sure you were asking a hypothetical question given some of the debate over DME with limo/taxi drivers.

DME is expected and will continue to operate free of charge until at least January 1st, 2007. At the very least, as long as you have signed up to use DME already, I'm almost 100% positive Disney WILL get you to and from the airport free of charge. Some modifications to the program may be put in place to soften the anger from those losing Disney's guests as their source of income, but the program is very successful as far as Disney is concerned.
That is what I am hoping.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
crazygirley said:
And this, hakunamatata, IMO is the only good thing about Universal. But the more power to you and the other poster (with the exception of his offensive avatar) for your own opinions on the park. I haven't said anything negative about your opinion, so let me have mine.
And I have not said anything negative about yours, I was simply adding on to your opine, which is something that tends to happen on message boards. Thats the beauty of how these things are constructed. So, dont get all huffy with me. I am not in the mood.

crazygirley said:
But I still don't see how Universal has anything at all to do with my trying to find a reasonable ride from Pop Century to Orlando International... do you?
So you say Universal has nothing to do with trying to get from Pop Century to Orlando. I bet I could mention at least three.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom