Locals! Guess what is coming back after a couple of Decades

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
From today's LA Times, a bit of detail of why the conversion to an "Adventure Park".

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-santa-village-20161202-story.html

>>The park owners also plan to introduce a series of outdoor activities next spring, including mountain biking and hiking trails, a zip line, fly fishing and camping — activities they say will add to the value of the $59 admission ticket ($49 for kids).

“The idea was not to go carnival rides, but more to go outdoors,” said Michelle Johnson, who bought the park with her husband in 2014. Both are mountain bikers and originally planned to build a bike park on the property, which spans 230 acres in total. They decided to resurrect Santa’s Village on 15 acres when they realized how strongly local residents felt about it. Johnson’s husband, Bill, got his first job at 13 as a ride operator at the park.<<

And a video of the new park...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/12/02/santas-village-reopens-today-in-lake-arrowhead/

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

Not that I would only listen to and form an opinion based on Yelp, but as a gauge on how the opening weekend went... it didn't go well...

#1) Apparently the place is overpriced for the quality... people are saying the 'bang for your buck' ratio is WAY off.
#2) The opening weekend looks like an absolute mis-managed nightmare.
#3) Just looking at the photos, which I did before reading anyone else's opinions, it looks half-'butt'ed and there's nothing there... it's like they took all the rides out and replaced them with nothing...

The "train" ride that is 'included with entry' is one of those trains from a mall that drives around on tires... your kid can ride that at the local mall for a few bucks. Also, sure, you can try to do a 'hip' skypark thing mixed with holiday cheer... but lets look at some of these things eh? Top ten items include Santa's Dumptruck... per their website-

"Children will delight in Santa’s Toy Dumptruck. Imagine one of the biggest dumptrucks you’ve ever seen or better yet, imagine you’re driving a real, re-purposed dumptruck. Slides and swings make this a blast! Coming 2017."

They've parked a large yellow dumptruck in the forest and you can look at it. I'm a geologist who gets very excited over simple things and even I can only stare at the things (much larger ones mind you) for so long.

Or hey, what about Magic Tree Bouldering Room...

"The Magic Tree Bouldering Room is an indoor cave climbing experience for all ages and experience levels."

Pix of it online show a small room about ~8ft high with normal walls with about... 2-3 bags of those climbing grabby things screwed onto them. Probably was put together in an afternoon after someone bought the bags of the grabby things. There's a shot of kids standing in the room staring at themselves... I think that sums up the experience.

Sheesh, the more I look at this place's website and the photos they have and see the actual photos on Yelp, the more I think it's a scam. Like the owners are doing a one time push right now to try to recoup as much funds as possible before they file for bankruptcy knowing they will.

I get that they say "more things" are supposed to open later, but I'm amazed they've opened in this state. I think they're running on nostalgia from families who don't mind paying $60 a crack for nothing right now, but after that market dries up and their X-mas time visit is done, this place is toast.

MoonRakerSCM

Welp, there goes my Sunday night (useless anyways)... I HAD to share pix on here and blab some more... since the more I look at it, the more I can't believe that they opened in this condition and that people are paying $60 to get in! I understand it's for the kids and they get to see santa etc. etc. etc., but no, this place is crap. Lets take a look shall we?

Your $60 entry gets you access to their signature attraction THE POLAR EXPRESS TRAIN RIDE
(from their site)
SVTrain.png

Ho ho... look at that! how magical and wintery! I can't wait!

(real photo)
SVactualtrain.jpg

Hmmm... well, I guess the view is better than the mall.

But not to worry, your $60 gets you access to MAGIC TREE BOULDERING ROOM!
(from their site)
SVbould.png

Ho ho yeah! I'm ready to grab hold!

(real photo)
SVactualbould.jpg

Boy, I bet it's a challenge to reach the air vent... also, good thing there's one employee to assist all those people all chalked up and ready to grab hold.

But wait! Your $60 admission gets you access to Santa's Toy Dumptruck! It's supposed to be a sort of bike park!
(from their site)
SVdump.png

Exciting! Oh, hey, looks like it's open (at least partially already)!

(real photo)
SVactualdump1.jpg

I think the unpotted plant shows an edgeyness that Santa stories are often missing. What's exciting though is that it is actually a course for the kids to ride their bikes in a circle around the truck, note they've kind of swept around the fencing...
SVactualdump2.jpg

I guess we just sort of use the one of our fancy eh?

But WAIT, our $60 entry gets us access to the FROZEN FALLS CLIMBING TOWER!
(from their site)
SVclimb.png

Booyah, a one of a kind climbing experience and look at all the holds on there, woo!

(real image)
SVactualclimb.jpg

Oh, it's not open yet... and... haven't I seen that wall... everywhere? I mean, I guess the surroundings makes it a "One of a Kind Climbing Experience"... right? Not like there are other walls up in the mountains right?

BUT WAIT!!!!!!! There's a skating rink!

(real image)
SVactualskating.jpg

Oh, the skates aren't included in the $60 entry... well, at least the rink is... not like I could go to one ANYWHERE ELSE.

OK, I'm going to stop now... in case it didn't come across, this post was to be read in extreme sarcasm at the absurdity of the place. Am I not alone in thinking their website images are blatant lies compared to their product?

I wonder if they actually bake anything at the facilities there like the 'Gingerbread House' or the "Kandyshoppe" etc... or they just sell items there purchased from a Los Angeles warehouse...

Again, I'll end with- sure, the kids get to see Santa... but come on! This reminds me of the crappy Asian parks I'd see on the TPR reviews when they went purely because it was laughable at how bad the place was.

What's next for this park, those rideable animals they have at crappy malls? I wonder if it'll be included in the entry...

Californian Elitist

This is exactly why my family and I have called any plans to visit. So disappointing! Definitely not worth the drive from Los Angeles. Shame on them for charging that price for mall attractions.

Phroobar

Why are their blue sleeping bags on the hill side? Are those for guests that pay extra so they can "relax" as kids go on all the rides?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom