1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Living Wage

Discussion in 'Employment/College Program/International' started by hipwave, Apr 7, 2017.

1. hipwave

hipwave New Member

How much did you make starting out at Walt Disney World? I will have a roommate but when I finish calculating rent, car insurance, phone bill, groceries, etc. I am getting pretty much left with nothing. Can you afford to live in Orlando comfortably on Disney pay?

2. rk03221

rk03221 Member

Barely, you make $10 an hour you will probably need more roommates. When I was working there full time 40 hrs a week I literally had nothing to spend, it sucks thats why I and many others left. Its not a bad place to work but the pay isnt livable at all

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

20 years ago, absolutely. Today? Forget about it. Rents in central Florida show no signs of stabilizing as more & more people flock to the area. While it hasn't gotten as bad as, say, San Francisco, where even professions such as teachers & law enforcement are having a tough time keeping up with skyrocketing rents ( http://projects.sfchronicle.com/2016/teacher-pay/ ) Florida isn't too far behind.
    Airbnb & HomeAway aren't helping situations for non-tourist renters either, as those properties - units being taken off the market and used for the vacationing / short term public makes supply even less for the growing demand of those moving to the Sunshine State.

So in a nutshell... landlords have no need to stop hiking up rents due to the influx of new residents flocking in, and service industry jobs have no need to start hiking up wages due to the influx of job seekers moving in. The 80's & 90's are long gone. Expect to get roommates, and plenty of them to make it realistically happen.

Lucky likes this.
  4. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member

By Disney pay do you mean CM pay or Iger pay?

Moe526 and Batman like this.
  5. Nulyte

Nulyte New Member

My husband works FT for Disney , they are working 66 hours a week and he brings home roughly $600 a week. Most of the guys he works with state over and over again without the mandatory OT they wouldn't make their bills. He will bring home less when the benefits kick in. We live right outside the MK within 2 miles and rent is Apprx $2000/month... it's not a livable wage, many people work there just for the perks and many others have 2-3 jobs. Living in another county may be cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Love Me Some Fast Passes Premium Member

So take one of those other two or three jobs and work it 60 hours a week, would anyone be able to survive on it? Doubtful.

7. Nulyte

Nulyte New Member

Oh I absolutely agree, Orlando rents and cost of living are expensive. I'm the main breadwinner for our family so that's why my husband works for Disney , for the perks , not the pay.

8. rk03221

rk03221 Member

Heck I make 13 an hour and can barely get by around here and I have a second job, i dont live above my means at all. Central FL is becoming a lot like SoCal, over populated and over priced.