Living Seas

Chad

Original Poster
As I sat in the shower, trying to fight off this horrific cough I've been blessed with (rolls his eyes) I was thinking of a new Living seas Idea...This has been tossed back and forth, and I've come up with a new, original Idea that I don't think anyone has come up with...

First, You need to understand pressure...You know how if you take a cup under water, upside down, and keep it upside down, the air inside stays, and water doesn't go in? It's quie important in the ride....

Story: Same thing. You are making a trip to sea-base alpha. Except, instead of hydrolators, you are traveling in a 'seapod'. The hydrolators will still be at the end, to take you back up..

The actual 'Sea Pods': Round rooms, that look alot like theaters. They will hold around 50 people in each one. There will be two. Each 'ride' is 10 minutes long, 600 people an hour.
The room itself is kind of hard to explain. Half of the circle will be seating, the rest will be a pool of water. Screens will be hanging from the ceilings, and along the walls, will be large portholes.
These 'theaters' will be placed in shafts, three stories tall, to be exact. They will have motors that will propell them up and down these shafts, as the show calls for it. The theater will also be able to spin, and tilt...Providing for quite a bit of motion..

But this isn't a motion simulator...

While parts of it RESEMBLE one, it is far from it. After you descend from the launch station.. you will travel for a bit, and stop, contacting the sea base, they will tell you that they are recieveing a shipment of supplies, and it'll take longer then they thought. They suggest that you take a quick run around the surrounding area, and they'll contact you when you can dock..So...You take their advice. Remember, there is a 'diving pool' in the middle of the room, that is open to the sea...

The portholes on the walls would all correspond to each other, giving you a limited 360 view of the entire surroundings..The Pods would stop when something interesting comes around..
For example, a large school of fish come by, you'd see them on the screens and porthole screens, and the diving pool would splash and shoot water up as some enter the pod.
There would be a coral reef pillar, that the pod would descend upon, causing it to come out of the ocean and into the theater, letting the riders see it, and all the little creatures living on it..crabs, eels..etc... Next, some dolphins, some seals, whatever, I havent worked the script out yet..
The end, would involve a nice run-in wih a giant squid. :) Yes, as somewhat of a tribute to 20,000 leagues, you'd chase after a giant squid that would exentually enter the cabin, causing it to descend that 3-story drop rather quickly, and cause water to start gushing into the cabin, as his tentacles flail about...

a few quick shocks will get him out, though :)

So, then you'd finally get into the sea base..
Whatya think?

The_CEO

At the end we should have the people elevated some, so we could " flood" the theater.. So it looks like the squid is to heavy and that they were going to sink to the bottom of the ocean.. We could have the audience about 3 feet above a stainless steel floor.. Then when the squid comes or whatever we could have water gushing in.. Just like you said.. This part could be " dramaitic" but still fun.. The water level would atleast rise 2 feet in the theater untill we shock the squid.. That would be sooo cool..

Depending how the loading and unloading occurs. We could change the stainless steel floor to the special material " Earthquake the ride" uses to make it look like the floor isnt soaked.. SO the floor just soaks up all the water thats left...

~ Justin...

Chad

Original Poster
Exactly what I had in mind :)
quotes himself "..and cause water to gush into theater.."

The_CEO

How will the theater be moved?
Cables? Hydrolics.? Will the theater be really! under water completely? If so i have a real good idea for the squid part.. For the technical stuff... When we need the water to come into the cabin; we could just open some kind of valve so air could escape.. SInce we have that open hole* WATER*. The water will take the airs place.. But i belive that will only work if its totally under water. Safety percautions would be neccesery also.. DOnt want The Living Seas full of dead people.. lol

~ Justin...

Chad

Original Poster
No, the theater won't actually be in the water...That would be rather impractical...The 'port holes' would actually just be screens, that show corresponding images....For example, a seal could be seen swimming on the far right port hole, and could swim all the way around, appearing in each port hole at a certain time. The 'Dive pool' in the middle, would actually be shallow, and the AA animals and such would rise out of it. I'm working on the script..

The_CEO

We got to make sure to include some water projecters..
* Machine that projects a light image that looks like water ripples*

~ Justin...

Chad

Original Poster
Why?
You're in a sub, you shouldn't see any water ripples. And the real water will ripple just fine on its own

Chad

Original Poster
Hmmm....Capacity maybe an issue...Anyone know the capacity of other rides? capacity per hour, I mean

Rider

Originally posted by the_ceo_at_wdw
50 people compared to 5 people per elevator is pretty good...

~ Justin...

Yeah but they are only for like a minute. This is 10 mins each ride.

Chad

Original Poster
SCRIPT

Women's Voice=WV
Sea Base Captain=SB
Captain of "The Cetecean" (your seapod)=Cap
Ship Mate 1=S1
Ship Mate 2=S2
Computer Navigator=CN

Ok, Personally, I think it would be cool to have Sean Connery as the captain of "The Cetecean", but thats my hope, he's just cool.
Ship Mate 1 is a male, and 2 is a female. All the charecters will appear only on the overhead screens.

Ok, starting in the queue...

WV: Welcome to the living seas. In Just a moment, the doors in front of you will be opening automatically, and you will enter you sea pod, which will safetly transport you to Sea Base Alpha. Please makesure you are in the row an attendant has designated you too, as this will make boarding much easier. Also, once your pod docks, make sure you move ALL the way down to the far end of the theater, DO NOT STOP in the middle, this will make room for everyone. Once seated, place any loose belongings in the pouch in front of you, and buckle your safety belts.
Now, please join me in welcoming the captain of your Sea Pod, The Cetecean, Captain Goldman!

Cap: Hello everyone! (he is standing on the bridge of a ship, people behind him move about busily) I am captain Goldman, and I will be transporting us all down to Sea Base Alpha. The seas are nice and calm today, and we're not expecting any problems. I'd like to take a moment to tell you a bit about "The Cetecean". She is an advanced research gathering vessel, capable of diving up to (insert mind boggling depth) feet without buckling under pressure. Sinse she is a research vessel, she is equiped with no weapons, save a powerful electric impulse emitter, but thats only if we need to stun something...(chuckles) something BIG, but we've never met anything we can't handle. The passeger area you will be sitting in is at the very bottom of the ship, located right next to the dive pool, which is open directly to the sea. The inside cabin pressure keeps the water from flooding...Yes, as long as we stay right side up, you'll all be dry and happy.

(beeping, lights flash)

S2: Captain, we've docked succesfully

Cap Great, looks like we're ready! Climb aboard and join us as we explore the living seas!

---Doors open---
WV-PLease Slide ALL the way to the end of your row, ALL seat offer fantastic viewing (repeat, repeat...repeat..)
Please place loose articles in the pouch infront of you, and fasten your safety belt (repeat...repeat..repeat)

Doors close, light dim...

Cap: Ok, lets get this show on the road...Take her down...

CN: Depth 100ft, Distance to sea base: 2 Minutes..

Cap: great, lets patch the base through and tell them we're here...

SB: Sea Base Alpha here, go ahead Cetecean

Cap: Sea Base, we've got a sub full of Eager tourists who would love to take a tour of the base, asking for permission to dock...

SB: Uh...thats a negative, we're getting a shipment of supplies coming in, and it's taking a bit longer then expected. WHy don't you take the sub around the reefs? I'm sure you can keep yourselves entertained for a little while..

Cap: Allright, keep us posted..Ok Folks, Seems like we have a bit of a delay..Ensign?

S2: Sir?

Cap: Take us on a swing through the reef, Computer..Find some wildlife on the Radar, lets go exploring!

CN: School Of Tuna..Heading 3556.8
I'm tired, I'll type the rest up later!

d dude

Sounds kewl!:D I love that idea. but, of course, you would build a whole new building for this, right? also, would sea base alpha be practicly the same?

Chad

Original Poster
Glad You like it :)

Yes, it will be an entirely new building. The living seas aquarium is a very complicated and very condensed building. It is immposible to pu a new ride (a decent one, anyways) without either tearing it down, or building off to the side. The entrance would still be the same....and the queue would continue through the 'Round room' (where information about Sea Base Alpha would be projected and announcedGuests who do not want to ride the ride can still take the original Hydrolators. Queue line dividers would be installed in the movie theater as well. The movie would still play, so as you wait in line, you'd have something to watch..(I think It's a classic..) Now, I run into a stumbling block here. The line, as I have dictated, Would now be stopped right next to the resteraunt. And I want to get it BEHIND the resteraunt. With out proper Blueprints, I have no way of knowing how to get there...So I just leave this part blank. The buildings that house the ride would be built behind the living seas Aquarium, and would let you enter into Sea Base Alpha Close to wear the Exit Hydrolators are, but a divider will sort of direct the flow of traffic IN to the sea Base, so people don't just leave

I'd want an update of the displays, definetly..But the base will remain pretty much the same, just the way of getting there will become the main attraction, instead of the oversized aquarium.

I was trying to think of sponsors, and I could think up one big one, but I don't know if they'd be interested...

We are always seeing Marines/Navy/Coast Guard Commercials, perhaps these three would put some of their advertising money into the Pavillion? There could be a recruiting office inside the Base, commercials playing in the queue line, new exhibits that show Navy related stuff...Such as How Sonar is used, and how Dolphins use the same technique, How Submarines work, Show different types of Battle ships... You could think of an entire new exhibit that could show of Navy/Marine and coast guard stuff, plus Disney could cut a deal, giving more special privelages to those factions of the armed forces...(Have certain days where they can get in free, and certain rooms that they can stay in for a DRASTICALLY reduced price..) If those three brances get together, the cost wouldn't be THAT much...

Just A thought

Chad

Original Poster
Ok, while I'm here, Let me go over some technical stuff, and post some pictures.

I'm still not sure HOW many vehicles there will be, I was thinking 4 with 40 people each...That would boost the ride capacity to 960 per hour, which I think is much better....
I'm posting a picture of the ride vehicle...
GREEN Is just set decorations..
RED are the port holes
YELLOW are the screens hanging from the ceiling
BLUE is the dive pool
BLACK are the seats

Its important to note that this ride features two levels, the first, bottom level, and the second, higher level. The higher level will be reccomended (at the begining of the ride) for smaller children, as it will have dulled sound, and more lighting. The bottom row will be MUCH louder and MUCH darker, plus, it will be flooded with 2 feet of water, raising the water level to JUST below the brim of the seat :) Climax of the Show.
The rocking motions of the theater aren't intense at all, no jerky movements, just fluid rocking. The only real thrill is the slight 3 story drop, but it won't be that fast. I think most kids 4 or 5 and above should be able to handle it...

Attachments

• seatheaterlayout.gif
    seatheaterlayout.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 129

Chad

Original Poster
Here is another showing a side view.
Notice the piston (actually, there will be many of them) that will push the water up and into the show area, also, the show props that are kept under water...

And notice that that everything is inside a bigger box, that box will be lifted and dropped...But how? I need ideas on this one, I'm not sure of what the best way would be to raise and lower such a heavy room. Hydrolics? Cables? Combination of the two?

Anyways, the lime green columns are the hydrolics that rock the car. there will be nine of them, 3 on each edge of the car, and one in the middle.

Attachments

• seatsideview.gif
    seatsideview.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 119

The_CEO

OK for the rocking and cable/ hydraulic problem... The exact center of the theater will be a hydraulic on a ballbearing type device.. The ONE hydraulic beam will only support the vertical support. Since its on a oversized ballbearing then it can be leaned when its called for.. The top of the theater will have 5 cables on each side.. All cables must have weight equally distributed.. The leaning back and forth movement will be provided by the cable motors attached to the top of the shaft.. The motors will only lean and rock the theater... When the time comes.. The Hydraulic beam will drop at a desiered speed... The cables will be synced up with the ride computer where all the things drop together.. This way most of the weight is on the center Hydraulic... I dont think we need the theater to spin unless you prove me otherwise... What do you think??

~ Justin...

Chad

Original Poster
I threw the idea of spinning out...

Thats gonna have to be one BIG hydrolic in the middle.

I was gonna have the external cables only control the height of the external room, inside the room would be the actual theater, which would load in the same way a motion simulator would loud. It would have it's own hydrolics on the bottom.

isnet396

I like this idea...its like TLS+ Mission To Mars (with the way the seating looks and the overhead screes...i'm sorry i couldn't see it as i'm only 14) and 20k....I know someone on eBay that I might be able to purchase the SOP training guide for TLS from....

I don't think a 3 story drop is nessecary. Its way to complicated, and heavy, for something like that. Maybe something similar to the Streching Rooms in the DL Haunted Mansion. However, I suppose it needs to be sent back up, maybe only 1 or 2 stories, quickly. The DL Streching rooms can't do that.

Also, what about Evac? You're in an "elevator"...Mayby Otis as a possible builder....anyway, how do you get people out? You have at least 2 feet of water underneath and heavy machinery, and at least 8-19 feet above you at all times. Here's a shot of something i just made up. It involves another high capacity elevator in the rear of the vehicle behind the audiance. A CM would also fit into place as maybe playing the female/male character. This way they could do crowd control and help evac and stuff.

details2.JPG

hopefully that works

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom