Living Seas reducing operating hours

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have heard that in a few weeks time The Living Seas will close at 7pm instead of 9pm.

Doesnt look good for that attraction - losing its sponsor, and now reduced hours.

markymark

It looks like time may be running out then. Shame really, coz I think it's a great place to go for a chill out. BLIMEY can you imagine the uproar if they do close it for good!! I thought that the last time I went it looked in need of a re-fit, (hydrolators looked really tatty) but I can't beleive they would close it for good. Mind you thats what I thought about Horizons :(

JAY-ROD

whos the sponsor

So who was the sponsor for the living seas? When did they leave and why? man can u imagine this attrtaction gone and wonders of life since it will no longer have a sponsor. what it going on at WDW???

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Living Seas sponsor was United Technologies. I dont know why they left, but it was a few years back. I dont htink they felt they were getting their moneys worth - United dont really have a consumer image, more industrial, so I dont think it really paid off like it has for Kodak, Coke, GM etc.

markymark

Is all this happening because the sponsors are expected to pay towards the cost of re-furbishment? Isn't there a 10 years renewal period?

JAY-ROD

your thoughts

so what do you think the chances of the closing this and wonders of life. It was to my knowledge that Met was going to pay for the whole rehab which was going to take a couple years and disney didnt want to do that. That just doesnt make since to me. does it to you?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It starting to look like the era of big sponsorships is fading. Although Compaq are certainly doing well with their sponsorship of Space. Although with Compaq being such a big consumer name, it will be a worthwhile investment for them.

It also amazes me how good the GM deal is on TTrack. Just look at how many people go through the dealership showroom at the end of the ride. That is some serious exposure they get for their cars, and has to be well worth the money they put into the ride.

JAY-ROD

Ok tell me this does the sponsor pay for the whole ride being built or a percentage of it? And I agree with on Test Track what a showroom!!!

woofboy111

Anyone else heard the rumors of Living seas being re themed to Atlantis? I think I might have read it on Screamscape a while back. It said something like the ride part of the Living seas would be taking you to atlantis in submarines, and then you get out and explore it. Anyone else heard this?

markymark

Originally posted by woofboy111
Anyone else heard the rumors of Living seas being re themed to Atlantis

If that is the case, why are so many thinks being linked to movie tie-ins. Surely people realise that, in time movies loose their appeal, that will leave attractions looking dated, and needing yet anothrer reufrb

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by JAY-ROD
Ok tell me this does the sponsor pay for the whole ride being built or a percentage of it? And I agree with on Test Track what a showroom!!!

The sponsor doesnt pay for the whole thing, but they do chip in a good percentage. In the case of Space and Test Track, I believe it is in excess of 50%.

JAY-ROD

i know i need to change the topic :) but u usually know the answer thats why I ask.

Well if thats the case why cant disney design rides in there abandon areas ( Timekeeper, Skyway, 20,000 lagoon) and get so primetime sponsor to pay for half of it. I know disney cant design the best rides. Ijust dont understand why they kept getting rid of attraction and not replace them. I mean it looks like wonders of life might ne in trouble if they dont finda sponsor, Living seas as well. whats ur take on everything? oh and by the way is there a website or something that list all of the rides and there sponsor. I';m just curious who sponsors what. Thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There is also the running and maintenence of the ride, it isnt just the initial construction cost.

I gather it is also getting difficult to recruit new corporate sponsors. Mission Space appeared to go thru all kinds of potential sponsors, Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Boeing etc.

I havnt seen a site with sponsors listed.

popkid

ATLANTIS VS. THE LITTLE MERMAID

if ATLANTIS is a hit, wouldn't it be great if they re-themed our lost 20,000 league subs? i heard about the supposed LITTLE MERMAID theme for the lagoon, but i always remembered the 20,000 leagues attraction to be a bit more gloomy - not in a bad way - but when i was a kid i was simply mesmerised (spelling?) staring out my little window and listening to the captain (was it nemo? been so long i can barely remember)...

i guess mermaid would be more of a hit with the kids though...

as for THE LIVING SEAS... guess we'll have to wait and seas (ok, that was bad).

scan_man

Does this mean that the Disney Company's Marketing and Sales department isn't really on the ball, as well as, their Maintence. If a Corp. sponcers are pulling out. You would think that Disney would start to wounder why the companies are pulling out, and try to fix it rather than let them pull out. I don't think that I have ever seen the attractions totally empty even in the slow time of the year. Maybe if some one in Marketing would keep track of the Sponser, and the attraction's up keep they would find that the Sponser would stay more and more. Or the problem might just be the small Economic problems that we are seening through out the country at this time. Maybe more Sponsers will be back when the Economy is better.
I appologize if this sounds like it's a Bash on Disney. it's not tended to sound that way at all. Just wish that they weren't loosing sponsers.

Disney Maniac

It's a shame that Wonders of Life lost its sponsorship from MetLife, because that may be a foreshadowing of bad things to come.

However, it is possible that, in view of MetLife's former/current spokesteam, the Peanuts Gang, and the recent death of Charles Schultz, MetLife may simply be pulling out to avaoid any possible copyright suits that may develope from Schultz's syndicate. The same is true from Disney's perspective: to avoid being sued, they allow the contract for sponsorship to expire without looking for renewal, letting MetLife decide if it's worth it or not to renew.

As for The Living Seas, it's anyone's guess.

However, it is my opinion that the reduced hours are for simple maintainence issues. As was stated in an earlier post, The Living Seas lost its sponsorship awhile back, which may simply mean that Disney, with a lack of sponsorship, did not find it necessary to rehab the pavilion to attract the sponsor's renewal. Now, with The Living Seas operating at reduced hours and reduced attendance, they may be provided with a perfect window of oppurtunity to restore an original Epcot pavilion and not destroy it and leave the lot empty and unused for who knows how long.

Brett

I remembering reading rumors around 4 months ago that the Living Seas was in trouble. Now that the sponsership is gone and reduction of hours, I believe its only a matter of time. But, I don't think Disney wants to lose the ocean theme. Epcot (Future World) is built around these themes. Test Track still has to deal with Transportation, even though not as much as World of Motion did. I see Disney placing a more entertaining ride in this area still using the ocean/water theming.
My brother will soon be devestated, Living Seas was his favorite attraction.

wdwcrazy

I don't want the Living Seas to go, but it does need some work. The ride portion of it is waaay to short. You get on and get comfortable, then it's time to get off! Also, they need some more attractions in Seabase Alfa. Maybe a show, or another attraction would be good to help boost attendance. :confused:

scan_man

I don't want the Living sea to go either. I am looking forward now that I am Scuba Certified to swimming there This September, and each year after that I am able to return to the Magic Kingdom, and Swimming in the Living Sea. I think the good part of it is that the Money that I am paying for the experence is going to help reefs around the world.

They can't kill the living seas! This ride is so unique. I think that expanding the ride and making it even larger would be a worthwhile goal, but getting rid of it would be a great disaster! Once again they are reducing the operating hours of rides---do they really want to see non-stop ride waits of 2-3 hours? These reduced hours on attractions only push more and more visitors onto fewer and fewer attractions. All and all, I think that these decisions are going to really come back and haunt Disney. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom