Living Near Disney World

DisneySaint

HomeofLove4Him said:
Hey Joey...have you checked out Craigslist? It's orlando.craigslist.org. That's a great place to look b/c there are often pictures posted along with the ad. HTH :)

Also...not to be nitpicky, but honestly asking-are you looking for a place in Orlando, or a place near Disney? Colonial vicinity (which I wouldn't recommend) for example, while being a central point in Orlando (Colonial the street, that is), is going to take about 30-40 mins to get to Disney. Then I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'near Disney' lol. Compared to where you live NOW, I guess that's near! Do you need the names of some cities that are truly within minutes of Disney, is that what you mean? LMK, and I can be looking for you, too. Oh, and check out the Sentinel (orlandosentinel.com) :D Good luck!

Heya,
Thanks for the post. I have indeed compiled a list from apartments.com, rent.com, apartmentguide.com, and the Orlando Sentinel Classifieds. I will be calling them tomorrow to check for which have vacancies. The list has about 35 apartments on it that are within 25 minutes of Disney. That answers your other question. I want an apartment/condo within 25 mins of Disney, prefably more like 15-20 mins or less. I reworded my sig to be a tad more specific. I know what you mean when you say Orlando doesn't mean Disney because I saw plenty that were 45+ mins away.

bjlc57

we used to stay in the Florida Mall area...

Like I mentioned before we used to stay in the Florida Mall area.. I would hate to think what this neighborhood looks like now.. the Hotel was about a half block off of OBT.. and there was like a Hilton or Sheraton across the street and down about a half a block.. Best Buy used to be there..

But what we discovered was that just a couple of blocks to the "east" on OBT, there appeared a "Men's club' and it went downhill from there...and this was like in 92, or so.. and then by the next time that we stayed there.. UGHHH......
at first we were like dying just to get a room, by the last time we stayed, we were the only ones in the hotel..

I just cannot believe that Orlando let itself go like this.

Some body tell me that I am wrong..

Channel 9 reported a few weeks ago that over 16000 apt units were turned into condos last year (mine included). That is a huge amount.

I live in Metro West. It looked great when i looked at it and moved into it in July 2004. Yet, since February, there have been 3 murders in the area, and another shooting on Sunday night at the complex next to mine. Do I like it? I'm from Philly and the answer is still no!

Like Phila, Orlando has "surrounding areas" that still have an Orlando address. Some are nicer, such as Dr. Phillips or Hunter's Creek. Nicer means more expensive, and the Central FL cost of living wage isn't great. My eyeballs almost popped out of my head to the OP's desire to have a 3/2 with washer & dryer, covered parking, etc for $1200 a month. I pay $920 for a 1/1 890 sq feet + garage. The gates in our community were FINALLY fixed yesterday, but the back gate is always open during the day (they lock it at 10pm). This must be where the theves are getting in (we've had 7 robberies this year so far).

If you are looking over by UCF, the Waterford Lakes area or even Oviedo would probably be good (my office is in Oviedo). Tuskawillia (not sure if I spelled that correctly) is supposed to be nice, as is Winter Springs (my boss lives there; other boss lives in Hunter's Creek). Living in MW was good for me, as I commute to Ovideo during the week and DTD on the weekends (yes, I work 7 days a week). Although I almost bought a villa in Sanford last August....don't even go there.

Good luck on your hunt! Do your research! :)

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
NobodyBaby said:
ahhh

that is awesome... but let me ask you this...

exactly HOW much do you love disney world?
I'm completely obsessed. :lol: It's the only place I ever want to vacation and every place I do go, vacation or not, is always compared to Disney and the way they do things. :lol:

HomeofLove4Him

Aww. And she's such a cute little thing too! (took me a few mins to figure out that it was SHE who replied under "Valawen"~I was like "who is this other girl saying she can't wait for Sledge to move here??" LOL) So I went to check out the myspace page ;) Wish I were that skinny! LOL Four kids will do ya in.......sigh.

I've thought about moving to the Orlando area, but from what I have read the schools are not too good. That is important for me since I have a 9 year old. :animwink:

HomeofLove4Him

We are homeschoolers, so I don't really keep up w/the school system here.... but I do know that they are way understaffed as far as teachers. They implemented this new thing now where anyone w/a 4 yr degree, who is willing to take some extra training for like 4 months or maybe 6 months can now be a teacher, in Orange County. Was on the news a few months ago. And I know that the VPK program last year got rated terribly. Also on the news not long ago.

PigletIsMyCat

I live in Clermont, and it is a wonderful area. So far we are very happy with the community and the apartment complex. And we live less than 10 miles from Disney!
As far as the high crime rate, Orlando IS a BIG area, and there are good sections and worse sections, just like with any major metropolis. Coming from New York suburbia, we love it down here (except I am not incredibly fond of the heat).

WDWScottieBoy

Living here you hear about the crime, the accidents on the highways, etc. It's just like living in any other big city. The area has it's good places and the bad ones as well. You just have to know where to look. Most people are moving out of MetroWest due to the very high increase in crime there.

Where I'm at...I never hear any sirens, never hear of any crime, and it's a beautiful area. Of course living 2 miles from the Disney gate doesn't hurt either.

Some places looked amazing online, but until I went and saw them personally, I had to second guess it. It could've been nice but in a terrible location. Another good thing to do is contact the local police department for that area and they can give you any crime rates.

Valawen9

Living here you hear about the crime, the accidents on the highways, etc. It's just like living in any other big city. The area has it's good places and the bad ones as well. You just have to know where to look. Most people are moving out of MetroWest due to the very high increase in crime there.

Where I'm at...I never hear any sirens, never hear of any crime, and it's a beautiful area. Of course living 2 miles from the Disney gate doesn't hurt either.

Some places looked amazing online, but until I went and saw them personally, I had to second guess it. It could've been nice but in a terrible location. Another good thing to do is contact the local police department for that area and they can give you any crime rates.

Yeah I'm going to be driving up next month to check out a few that an apartment hunter suggested to me.

HomeofLove4Him

I totally agree with Scottie. Something can look nice in the apartment guide or online (and it actually might be a nice/decent property) but the AREA may be horrible.

Scottie, what apts do you live in that are so close (unless you don't wanna say?) We were looking to live out by Disney, but I'm not willing to bend on the house thing LOL I do NOT NOT NOT want to live in apartments again (but then, we have children too... probably wouldn't mind if we were single). We are so ready for our kids to have a yard to play in, a swingset, etc~stuff that many ppl w/a house & yard probably take for granted, would mean soooo much to us. And so, the houses right by Disney are either 1) too much $ for rent, or 2) they advertise to be right by Disney, but really are alittle further out, and is too far a commute.

I'm very curious to know where in Clermont you live Piglet?? We had talked about that and kinda scoped the area out recently (do you know where the A&W place is, in front of a Super Target? that semed like a nice area)

nelsonj3

We are homeschoolers, so I don't really keep up w/the school system here.... but I do know that they are way understaffed as far as teachers. They implemented this new thing now where anyone w/a 4 yr degree, who is willing to take some extra training for like 4 months or maybe 6 months can now be a teacher, in Orange County. Was on the news a few months ago. And I know that the VPK program last year got rated terribly. Also on the news not long ago.

I'm hoping to move to Florida to teach next year. I'm currently a teacher in Indiana, and I'm fully licensed and certified. Hopefully I can find a good school close to WDW!

dvcbcv3

Teaching in FLA

I'm hoping to move to Florida to teach next year. I'm currently a teacher in Indiana, and I'm fully licensed and certified. Hopefully I can find a good school close to WDW!

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I looked into this a few years ago as I teach in NJ.
Teaching positions in public schools in FLA are usually assigned thru the county, not local, level. Unfortunately, this means you don't get to choose the 'perfect' school but rather are assigned to one within that county. Also, you need to ensure that your state has a recipricol agreement with FLA for acceptance of your licence/certification. Some don't and additional courses are required. Also be sure you can transfer any pension.

If you search FLA State Dept of Ed they will send you an entire packet with application and info.

So my advice is to begin your research now. Hope this helps.Best wishes!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom