Live-ish Photos from the New Disney Magic!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I just came back from the NCL Jade and as far as I saw no lifeguards at the pools. There was someone on the slide, sending people down, but did not appear to be an actual lifeguard.

Interesting. I know Ellis, Disney's lifeguard system requires lifeguards at top of slides. I just hope they all rethink the no lifeguard thing now that Disney is moving into the 20th century, oy. Even if there isn't any liability at sea to speak of when someone dies, I'd like owners of cruise ships internal moral compass to surface. So proud of Disney for this move, finally.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
You invited questions so here we go.

Ok @Disneyfalcon how many times did you do the Dunk?

Not that the walt Disney Theater needed it, but any changes?

What are the shows?

Who is the Captain?

Questions! :D

I only did it once. Terrifying but very fun. :) While I was waiting for that floor to drop, my heart was beating faster than it ever has, lol. Then it drops and you just fall for 7 seconds but yet it feels like forever. It's a great rush though!

No real changes in the theater, just spruced up.

We had Dreams and Twice Charmed but there is a new one. Let me find the name...

The Captain is Robert.
NO me gusta to the "after" duck-butt photo. I understand its necessary but I don't like the look of it.

It's not gorgeous, but it's as good as it can be probably. :)

Interesting. I know Ellis, Disney's lifeguard system requires lifeguards at top of slides. I just hope they all rethink the no lifeguard thing now that Disney is moving into the 20th century, oy. Even if there isn't any liability at sea to speak of when someone dies, I'd like owners of cruise ships internal moral compass to surface. So proud of Disney for this move, finally.

I just came back from the NCL Jade and as far as I saw no lifeguards at the pools. There was someone on the slide, sending people down, but did not appear to be an actual lifeguard.

Thanks, Lisa. That was my impression. I will see if I can find out more today.

Ralphlaw

NO me gusta to the "after" duck-butt photo. I understand its necessary but I don't like the look of it.

Yeah, it kind of looks like one of those industrial floor polishers. Maybe this is Disney's way to tidy up the world's oceans.

By the way, USAtoday.com has a bunch of stories and videos on the Magic right now. Fun.

sweetpee_1993

Laurel Stewart from Touring Plans said they saw Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On and were very impressed. :)
Oh no. If this show is the same one they had on the Fantasy its baaaaaad. Tracey & I saw some show that was loosely based on Walt's ideals that went on and was incorporated into the cruises and entertainment. We liked the animated clips on the side screens but the show itself, the plot or writing, felt forced. It was like they took 2 disconnected things and tried to make them relevant to each other. If the new show on the Magic is this show, ugh. No. But the animated clips were enjoyable.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Oh no. If this show is the same one they had on the Fantasy its baaaaaad. Tracey & I saw some show that was loosely based on Walt's ideals that went on and was incorporated into the cruises and entertainment. We liked the animated clips on the side screens but the show itself, the plot or writing, felt forced. It was like they took 2 disconnected things and tried to make them relevant to each other. If the new show on the Magic is this show, ugh. No. But the animated clips were enjoyable.

I was wondering if it was the same show I saw this summer on the Med. Here's what Laurel said:

The big surprise tonight was the new show, Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On. It’s no secret that we’re generally not fans of the evening entertainment, but this show at least tries to break new ground. It is a retrospective of the Walt Disney Company that is unlike any show we’ve seen on the Cruise Line. We definitely applaud the entertainment staff for not going the route of the typical live show, though it was definitely uneven. Hopefully Disney will continue to tweak the script, as the parts featuring the theme parks and lesser seen movies got the most enthusiastic audience reactions of the night.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster

Okay, I was just told by Norwegian that they do not have lifeguards on duty. I think all ships have roaming crew members that check the pools every so often, and people often monitor the slides, but having a trained lifeguard next to the pool during all pool hours is a whole 'nother level.

sweetpee_1993

I was wondering if it was the same show I saw this summer on the Med. Here's what Laurel said:

The big surprise tonight was the new show, Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On. It’s no secret that we’re generally not fans of the evening entertainment, but this show at least tries to break new ground. It is a retrospective of the Walt Disney Company that is unlike any show we’ve seen on the Cruise Line. We definitely applaud the entertainment staff for not going the route of the typical live show, though it was definitely uneven. Hopefully Disney will continue to tweak the script, as the parts featuring the theme parks and lesser seen movies got the most enthusiastic audience reactions of the night.

Okay. This must be a different variation although it does sound similar. What we saw was like other stage shows in that there was singing & dancing numbers (that felt odd) interspersed with what felt like advertisements for the parks and other Disney offerings. It was like they tried to take the reverence for Walt's ideals, the strength of the company's history, the nostalgia of the cartoon snips, the whimsy of the characters, and stitch it all together with bits of info about the parks destinations using song & dance numbers. Felt like a really odd live info-mercial. It's so hard to explain. We hadn't seen it before. Tracey and I both left the theater that night scratching our heads. To be honest, the most memorable part for me was the cartoon snippet that I saw at least 3 times that showed a character holding something that was smoking (cigar or cigarette). That stuff really stands out nowadays, you know? I looked for a Navigator online that showed the name of it but I can't find one. I didn't save ANY paper Navigators from the September trip. Dang. I'm certain the name is the same. The description sounds very much like it in some ways. I think with tweeking and rewriting the awkwardness can be smoothed out a bit. Strange that THIS is the show they would choose to carry over. Aladdin on the Fantasy is a FAR better show, IMO, even with Jasmine's snooze-inducing song/scene. LOL!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Okay. This must be a different variation although it does sound similar. What we saw was like other stage shows in that there was singing & dancing numbers (that felt odd) interspersed with what felt like advertisements for the parks and other Disney offerings. It was like they tried to take the reverence for Walt's ideals, the strength of the company's history, the nostalgia of the cartoon snips, the whimsy of the characters, and stitch it all together with bits of info about the parks destinations using song & dance numbers. Felt like a really odd live info-mercial. It's so hard to explain. We hadn't seen it before. Tracey and I both left the theater that night scratching our heads. To be honest, the most memorable part for me was the cartoon snippet that I saw at least 3 times that showed a character holding something that was smoking (cigar or cigarette). That stuff really stands out nowadays, you know? I looked for a Navigator online that showed the name of it but I can't find one. I didn't save ANY paper Navigators from the September trip. Dang. I'm certain the name is the same. The description sounds very much like it in some ways. I think with tweeking and rewriting the awkwardness can be smoothed out a bit. Strange that THIS is the show they would choose to carry over. Aladdin on the Fantasy is a FAR better show, IMO, even with Jasmine's snooze-inducing song/scene. LOL!

Jasmine's snoooze inducing song, lol!

I need to find the name of the one on the Magic this summer too. It's similar but different as well!

wogwog

Jasmine's snoooze inducing song, lol!

I need to find the name of the one on the Magic this summer too. It's similar but different as well!
Thanks for the answers. I have jumped out of airplanes but I am not going on the Dunk. I'm sailing Magic Nov 29. Great updates and pix. Thanks.

5thGenTexan

Forget the Aquadunk.... I'm a bit worried my girl is gonna be a "No-Go" on the other slide. :eek::)

I mean, I'd do it... :D but she was a bit leary of the old slide at first

ejsanta13

Great pics as always Tammy. We cruise on the Magic in 11 days and can't wait. First Disney Cruise and still a surprise to the kids (dd9 & ds4). Aqua Dunk looks awesome, sign me up. Don't know how I am even getting through the work day... Oh yeah, reading your report!!!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Great pics as always Tammy. We cruise on the Magic in 11 days and can't wait. First Disney Cruise and still a surprise to the kids (dd9 & ds4). Aqua Dunk looks awesome, sign me up. Don't know how I am even getting through the work day... Oh yeah, reading your report!!!

11 days! How exciting! I wish I had the real pictures done for you! But you can go and take your own. :)

ChuckElias

So Tammy, do you have any thoughts to share on the After Hours spaces? Particularly, I'm interested in O'Gills, since I was such a huge fan of Diversions (and so unimpressed with O'Gills on the Fantasy).

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
So Tammy, do you have any thoughts to share on the After Hours spaces? Particularly, I'm interested in O'Gills, since I was such a huge fan of Diversions (and so unimpressed with O'Gills on the Fantasy).

Skyline is my favorite lounge, but I really like O'Gills on the Magic. It's much much bigger which makes it brighter too. They also finally replaced the old board games (how much could it have cost to buy a new scrabble with all the pieces?) and kept the checkers and chess tables that were built in. They had live music and a really great atmosphere I thought!

Fathoms looked great. A lot hipper so to speak. The light fixtures were gorgeous!

Keys was very intimate but big enough that you felt like you could still talk during the music without being rude to the singer. Loved the theming.

D Lounge is a thouand times better than Studio Sea!! Loved it.

ChuckElias

We are on!!!

null_zpsc357c7a2.jpg
And this? This is a serious downgrade in the Atrium to me. Does it look any better in person. I think it's hideous compared to the custom blown glass that was there.

sweetpee_1993

And this? This is a serious downgrade in the Atrium to me. Does it look any better in person. I think it's hideous compared to the custom blown glass that was there.

Chuck, I haven't wanted to say anything but the atrium chandelier does concern me as well. It lacks that "oooh" grandiose feeling the main chandeliers usually have. I'm sure @Disneyfalcon has some better, more detailed shots (if I know her at all :D) so I'm still holding out hope. Then again, the atrium on the Magic is far more intimate than that of the new ships. If they did 1 massive chandelier any larger than what was previously there it might feel out of proportion to the space in both size and scale. I suppose I'd need to see it in person to truly get the overall feel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom