Trip Report Live from the World - or close enough...

I guess I can't really claim that this is live from the parks, because I will posting from our room, but it's close enough!

We have just arrived this morning for a 12 night, 13 day visit to the World! After an exhaustive, but also quite fun, 24 hours of driving, stopping to rest and eat, meeting up with old friends, we found ourselves pulling into the parking lot of Bay Lake Tower at about 6:30am. If you want to know our full plans, check out the Pre-Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2-weeks-in-the-summer-heat-ptr.867381/

So, we got checking in at the Contemporary. We didn't get that amazing moment of luck when your room is already ready at 6:30am, but we never expect that to happen! So, a little after 7am we found ourselves walking up to Guest Services at Magic Kingdom to pick up our annual passes. We were lucky enough to score the Premium Annual Passes back at the beginning of the year when they offered the great DVC sale.

Anyway, APs in hand, we tapped to enter early and get to our 8:35am ADR for Crystal Palace. Took a few pictures around the hub (which will be posted later, computer is still working on communication with new camera). We checking in at CP and got seated at 8am - there's some luck working for us! An excellent breakfast and nice visits with Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, and Pooh (again, pics to come). From our seats it looked like the opened the gates about 10 minutes early. We left the restaurant at about 9:15am and went back to Town Square for some Long Lost Friends - first we met with Dr. Facilier and Louis and then the Brer crew. DD9 didn't really want to wait in the lines for the Robin Hood or Chicken Little characters, so we headed back to Adventureland.

In Adventureland about 9:45am, we met with the Fairies, rode Pirates, did one of the new Pirates Adventures, rode Jungle Cruise (with FPs I had picked up while the girls were in line for the Fairies), visited the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room (sing it, you know you want to!) and made a quick dash to Splash to pick up FPs for later. All of that added up to a little under 2 hours of touring, so we picked up some frozen drinks at Sunshine Terrace and a Mickey pretzel and sat for a few minutes in Frontierland and relaxed and ate.

It was about 12:15pm, so it was off to the mountains. As we went to enter Splash Mountain, we got FPs for Big Thunder (for 1pm). Splash was quite enjoyable - most of the animatronics were working great, but a few effects were not on (noticeably the jumping waters which did not jump over the ride). After that, we were going to meet Woody and Jessie, but the line was a bit long and we had just gotten a text that our room was ready, so we decided to do BTM and then head out for a little rest. Obviously the almighty lords of room check-in were pleased with us since the text came at 12:45pm and after BTM and a train ride to the front, we were in room getting that rest by 2pm.

The room is very nice - officially a standard view studio in Bay Lake Tower, but we do have a partial MK view which is excellent (although we may not be able to take advantage during this stay since we have fireworks plans for both nights already). DD watched "Secret of the Wings" and rested, while DW and I both slept for between half and hour and an hour. Now we are all cleaned up and changed and getting ready to head to 1900 Park Fare for our dinner reservations!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
We just got back from dinner at 1900 Park Fare and are pausing in the room for a few minutes (so DD can get out of costume - more on that soon) and to wait out some thunderstorms. Then we'll be heading back into MK for EMH - we'll see how late we can make it on limited quality sleep!!

Here's another from this morning to hold you over!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
And here's the rest of the story...from Day 1:

After the dinner at 1900 Park Fare with Little Drizella (and big Drizella here)

we took another brief break and then were back in the Magic Kingdom by 7pm. We started off our return to the park with a visit with Mickey. You just can't beat Mickey!

After checking the MyDisneyExperience app on my phone, it looked like Magic Carpets of Aladdin had almost no line so we headed over there. The app was quite wrong as the line looked to be 20 min or so, thus we took a tour of the Treehouse (DD enjoys figuring out just how the Robinson family did things) and then back to Main Street to get our spot for Main Street Electrical Parade. We always sit right outside the Barber shop and love the attention that you get as the first folks on the parade route.

While I waited for the parade (and held the spot) the girls got FPs for a later visit with the Princesses and also started a Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom adventure (a Main Street based one). Then, at 9pm it was parade time and it was enjoyable as always. The girls met with the Princesses (Aurora, Ariel, and Cinderella) and then we headed back behind the castle for Wishes! (with a quick stop to pick up Buzz Fastpasses).

We love sitting behind the Castle and watching in both directions, but this time we decided to sit on the back side of the Carousel and just watch over the Beast's castle. Forgot the tripod, but still scored some 'decent' fireworks shots.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
After Wishes! (and the obligatory tears from DW - she just loves that show) it was time for some more rides. Before the 11pm switch to Extra Magic Hours, we hit the Teacups, Buzz (with FP), Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, and the PeopleMover. Just FYI, we recently got a new camera, so I'm having a lot of fun experimenting, which means you will have to suffer through some of those shots.

Once EMH had started, we headed back to Fantasyland (Space Mountain was still over 30 min wait) and did Winnie the Pooh and It's a Small World with almost no wait at all. We also did Enchanted Storytime with Belle and were particularly impressed with the performance of Miss Potts

And we also visited the new Tangled bathrooms. I can't believe I just put a bathroom visit into my Trip Report, but it is a new feature and DD thought it was really cool, so there you have it, we all pee'd around 11:40pm.

Then it was back over toward Tomorrowland to possibly do Space Mountain - after a quick stop at Cosmic Ray's for refueling (bear in mind that we have been on the go since 7:30am and I only got 3 hours sleep last night). The line for Space was still at 30 minutes, so we headed back to Main Street, the girls finished their SoMK adventure and I sat at the train station and took more pictures!

By the time they were done, it was 1am and the park was closing. Just enough time for one last shot of the girls.

The results of this crazy, commando-style day was evidence this morning. While I was up at my usual 6:30am - despite any lack of sleep in previous nights, my body gets me up by 7am which is a bit frustrating - DD decided that rather than a quick visit to Animal Kingdom EMH this morning, sleep was a better choice. She slept in until 9:30am (which is amazing for here since she is usually waking us up at the World at 6am each day) and now we are getting ready for the latest breakfast ever at Chef Mickey's at 11am. See you soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
2pm now and sadly, no new pics for you. Maybe I'll load up one from Chef Mickey's at some point, but seriously, who among us doesn't have any number of pictures of our family with one of the Fab 5 and assorted random other guests in the background?

Breakfast (or really lunch, but still breakfast food) at 11am was very nice. Definitely enjoying the Photopass Plus thing has been quite nice. Getting the photo package for free - and they added extra pics of DD just because - at 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey's has been excellent. Both times the pictures have come out great.

Back in the room around 12:15pm and DD and I enjoyed some quality pool time while DW did a nice "I could have gone a lot further because it was so easy" 3 mile run on the treadmill. Now we are getting cleaned up and ready to head to Epcot for a quick visit to the Rose and Crown and then dinner at Chefs de France.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So excited to follow along with your trip! Can't believe how you function on such little sleep!

Surprised me, too. Although yesterday on the monorail, as we passed Grand Floridian, I pointed out DVC building and how it was progressing and my wife told me that she had done the same on Day 1 and when she looked to me for a response I was asleep on the monorail! Don't even remember that happening!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Not gonna lie - thats me in our house. Wife laughs at me but I cry everytime - in fact, no, not gonna do it....
Getting our AP's in 11 days, but whos counting. Enjoying you report, thank you and have a great rest of your trip.

End of Illuminations gets me every time. As does the Opening Show at Magic Kingdom. Not sure why Wishes doesn't!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Rest of Day 2:

Not actual rest, because that had already happened, well, a little rest, well, oh, just read on....

Rode the monorail over to Epcot (I love that monorail ride) and headed in to Rose and Crown for a quick drink. The clouds were looking quite heavy, so DD decided to forego a Perry Adventure and just hang out in the pub with us. Carl was there and poured my wife a Carl's Combo (Bass and Stella, for those not in the know) and I had a Guinness. DD had a frozen lemonade. This is pretty much our regular at R&C. It was pretty busy, so we didn't get a whole lot of quality Carl time, but we'll see him again!

Dodged the raindrops over to France and watched Impressions de France - always enjoyable and to me (haven't seen it in a couple visits) the film looked better than I remember it. Then to dinner at Chefs de France. Most excellent food! These first couple days on the Deluxe Dining Plan, it really is nice to be able to sample everything. I'll have an update on the whole DDP (or in this case DDDP) at the end of today or tomorrow. Of course, we got a nice visit from Remy - who really enjoyed the fact that DD is celebrating her 9.5 birthday. We were supposed to come for her 10th in January, but knew that plan wasn't going to work out so we decided we could celebrate her 10th at 9.5 during this first 2 night stay in BLT. It has been quite funny as we've told different cast members.

After dinner, we decided not to push our energy level and just headed back to the monorail and back to BLT. A very good call because within about 15 seconds of getting back in the room, DW was sound asleep! DD and I decided to let her sleep for half an hour, then we all headed up to the Top of the World lounge for a late night snack, drink, and Wishes!

Drinks were quite good (Session Black Lager for me, Mai Tai for DW, Wild Strawberry Lemonade for DD) and the soft pretzels were also good. The view of Wishes! was exceptional. Really cool to see all the big ones appear to be behind Space Mountain instead of the Castle. Tried to take some pictures, but nothing worth sharing here.

That brings me to my one gripe so far in the trip - and it has nothing to do with Disney! I have been a photography enthusiast (somewhat mild, but still do own 6 different SLR cameras - 3 digital, 3 film) since high school and we decided this summer to upgrade to a new Nikon D5200. Very nice camera and (best part) in our price range - 2 educators with a Disney addiction tend to be a bit short on funds at times! Well, we got it about a month ago and I've been playing with it since. A few times it has had the shutter get caught (or something similar) when taking shots and had to release again and lost the shot. Well, the problem has become quite bad as I am now taking 200+ pictures a day. I'd say about 60% of the time it is not working (thus, no Remy shot for you today). Already contacted the dealer and will be calling them again today, but from what I have learned online, it is a problem these camera bodies do tend to have and it will need replacing - but I'm not doing that while at the world!!!! Annoying and at times frustrating, but it certainly isn't going to ruin a Disney trip. So, you have been warned - there may be some camera complaints in future posts!

We are getting all packed up to check out of BLT and head to MK, then we'll be going to Epcot and getting checked in at Beach Club.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom