Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

TalkingHead

Sorry, but I think that's a horrid excuse. Cat in the Hat is a well done ride but it's in a giant show building with faux walls to divide the scenes. There were definitely corners cut there as well. As such, I'd say that Mermaid is a better attraction. I also realize that I essentially just created a debate so I could take a pro Mermaid side of it.

I'd say it's an unfair comparison.

CITH isn't trying to be a sentimental retelling of a fairy tale. It's a zany, madcap version of Seussian chaos.

I'd say the more appropriate comparison would be to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. And, at least, compared to the old MK version, CITH is more impressive even if it doesn't end in Disney hell -- CITH has better sets, longer ride time, better pacing.

Mouse_Trap

I think what people prefer about the DCA queue is that it does NOT have Fastpass, and a 2,000+ an hour Omnimover gobbles up the line so fast it's rarely more than a 5 minute wait. I know that I certainly prefer that over Fastpass reservations and 60 minute Standby lines.

You wanna go on Mermaid at DCA? Just wander in through those big glass doors and jump in a clamshell, no waiting and no MagicBand required.

What is the capacity of the MK version then, I assumed it was the same.
Do you mean that it's just the second line i.e. Fastpass taking priority and making standby much longer?

Californian Elitist

Do you mean that it's just the second line i.e. Fastpass taking priority and making standby much longer?

TP means that, and he means the Disneyland crowd knows Mermaid is not that great of a ride and they skip it, making a line for the ride almost nonexesitant.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Same capacity. MK having FP leads to longer standby lines. MK also has about double the attendance numbers as DCA so twice as many people in the park. It's also the newest ride in the newest part of the park with a very elaborate outside and queue so it attracts a lot more attention. WDW doesn't have nearly as many local repeat visitors as DLR either so even though LM has been open over a year there are still many WDW repeat visitors who are seeing it for the first time making it a must do.

Monorail_Orange

OMG I hope i didn't start all this commenting about being 4 years old. I only mentioned my nephew was 4. We as adults all thought the ride was magical. Doesn't bother me at all what frame work i can see. Just to have the ride built instead of another pixar/avatar/marvel area is whats important to me.
I can see your point about capitalizing on a classic, BUT, I couldn't disagree more with you about the ride itself. It makes me wonder whether you rode with your eyes open. (I dont mean that as a personal attack, merely trying to emphasize my difference of opinion.) Exterior and queue are amazing, ride underwhelms. If DCA refurb rumors are accurate, and are done correctly, I do think it would fix the majority of my dissatisfaction with what I see as a "good idea, poor execution" ride currently.

kap91

Speaking of cross country refurbs not exactly matching, when will Orlando get the new 3rd lift effects from Disneylands BTM?

Oh.

And when will DL get it's HM stretch room's repaired (wallpaper peeling for like two years now) and get the new audio system on par with WDW's or get our Singing Busts?

Oh. :)

Oh, I definitely agree - although my biggest objection on Mermaid is the load/unload area. If you look up you can see the theming stop a lot more suddenly then the ceiling on the ride. Having said that, a black tarp would solve the visible steel problems in Everest. They've gotta have a leftover Yeti tarp they can use...

I've been clamoring for them to put up some duvetyne beneath the track in Everest since 2006. Still hasn't happened, people would much rather complain about intentionally plasticized art direction.

It's not just that you can see load and unload from inside the ride, it's that load and unload can see each other.

Adventure through Inner Space/Haunted Mansion/Journey into the Imagination; had load and unload in separate rooms that hid themselves from each other.

Somewhere along the line we lost this piece of wisdom. It's not like it's hard to design for this or anything, but the Buzz Lightyear/Mermaid rides now just have this Chaplin in Modern Times feel of herding people on and off an industrial belt.

There are a lot of design flaws in Mermaid. The last half of the ride has scene transitions that are very obviously walls without any attempt to have them even make any architectural sense. It's like the anti-immersive.

This is an annoying trend that has happened cross-industry on all rides and one that I'm not thrilled about. (TSMM, Cars, Everest, Mine Train, LM, Forbidden Journey, Transformers, The Mummy more or less, Mystic Manor(I think)). In fact the only modern ride I can think of without this going on is Antarctica and it could've benefited from the extra space. Having separate loading and unloading just gives so much more of a sense of travel. That'd you've actually gone on a journey.

I think that's the main reasoning. Saving space. In fact, questionable art direction aside, nearly all the issues Mermaid have seem to stem from trying to build it in a footprint that was really too small. (In California that is. The florida version has a whole additional corner added to the building that could have been used for more show but was instead devoted to employee areas - even though the building was designed with those areas on the second floor for the California version. That's the same kind of logic that resulted in who knows how much extra money being spent making Soarin' at Epcot earthquake proof.)

While having separate load and unload areas is better for show, the benefit isn't drastic and the large amount of space that is saved undoubtedly contributed to the decision being made for the the CA version of the ride. The abbreviated ending scenes seem to stem from the same motives. In other words, I don't think the scenes were shoved together to save on the budget (no more than do I think the art direction and lighting had anything to do with the budget), but more to get them to fit into the space at all. Surely there was a way to reconfigure the track to accomplish the same goals, without the abbreviated ending scenes but it is what it is. The load/unload issue doesn't kill me one way or the other and if the upgrades to the end come eventually then we'll be much better off. The whole of LM just seems to be a lot of seemingly well-intentioned decisions combining in less than stellar ways.

And to whomever was giving Cat in the Hat a pass on quality 'cause its Universal...the super critics here that continually claim IOA and Universal are sooooo much better than Disney, they care sooooo much more about attention to detail and quality, and never skimp on anything - you can't set different standards for the two. Either the cat in the hat is acceptable show quality (which makes LM acceptable as well) or it isn't (which acknowledges that Universal isn't God and that the LM is somewhat lacking).

Last edited:

Bairstow

Figured this was the best place to ask- have they fixed queue Scuttle's left hand yet?
Last time I saw it (2 weeks ago) it had come off and was flapping around, hanging by a single thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom