Little Mermaid soft opening labor day week?

artdeco

I know it's not worth a hill-o-beans as news, but Frommer's Budget Traveler magazine (May/Jun 2012, p.43) lists TLM, Be Our Guest, and Storybook Circus as one of five "This Year's Don't-Miss Park Attractions". The bit was void of an actual date, but it comes across as a summer-edition guide. Readers of Frommer's Budget Traveler are going to be disappointed.

Unplugged

I know it's not worth a hill-o-beans as news, but Frommer's Budget Traveler magazine (May/Jun 2012, p.43) lists TLM, Be Our Guest, and Storybook Circus as one of five "This Year's Don't-Miss Park Attractions". The bit was void of an actual date, but it comes across as a summer-edition guide. Readers of Frommer's Budget Traveler are going to be disappointed.

Yes......yes they will.

etwtec

Will not surprise me if most of the MVMCP nights sell out this year due to LM opening. On regular days wait times will be ridiculous!

Um...no it wasn't. It was planned as part of the Fantasyland Expansion that was announced in 2009 which was NEVER set to open during MK's 40th year.

Where in God's name did you hear that crap?

Come down I didnt mean to type it out that way. I meant that it was suppose to be orginally. no need to freak out

TP2000

Will not surprise me if most of the MVMCP nights sell out this year due to LM opening. On regular days wait times will be ridiculous!

Yikes. :lookaroun

I think perhaps expectations for this Mermaid ride in WDW are becoming just a tad too high.

I just went on the rehabbed Little Mermaid 2.0 at California Adventure last night, to see the new Ariel animatronic and the new animation sequences and projection effects. This is the nearly identical version of the ride opening in a few months at WDW. It's a fun, breezy, toe-tapping, D Ticket ride with a short Omnimover wait of about 6 minutes in a fairly busy DCA last night, but it's not Small World or Pirates or even Three Caballeros or Maelstrom.

If people are expecting some sort of over-the-top E Ticket in response to Potterland or the dearth of E Tickets in Magic Kingdom Park since Splash Mt. opened 20 years ago, this Mermaid ride is not it.

I really like the Mermaid ride, and for DCA specifically it was a ride that was much needed for the park and replaced the unloved Golden Dreams history movie attraction. But I sense that the expectations of WDW visitors who haven't been on the DCA version are becoming too high for this fun little D Ticket sing-along ride.

NewfieFan

Yikes. :lookaroun

I think perhaps expectations for this Mermaid ride in WDW are becoming just a tad too high.

I just went on the rehabbed Little Mermaid 2.0 at California Adventure last night, to see the new Ariel animatronic and the new animation sequences and projection effects. This is the nearly identical version of the ride opening in a few months at WDW. It's a fun, breezy, toe-tapping, D Ticket ride with a short Omnimover wait of about 6 minutes in a fairly busy DCA last night, but it's not Small World or Pirates or even Three Caballeros or Maelstrom.

If people are expecting some sort of over-the-top E Ticket in response to Potterland or the dearth of E Tickets in Magic Kingdom Park since Splash Mt. opened 20 years ago, this Mermaid ride is not it.

I really like the Mermaid ride, and for DCA specifically it was a ride that was much needed for the park and replaced the unloved Golden Dreams history movie attraction. But I sense that the expectations of WDW visitors who haven't been on the DCA version are becoming too high for this fun little D Ticket sing-along ride.

So, comparable to Pooh?

TP2000

So, comparable to Pooh?

No, better than Pooh simply because the scale of the rooms is larger, the sets are more lavish, and the ride is longer at around 5 minutes. Pooh or Peter Pan are C Tickets, Mermaid is a D Ticket.

Mermaid is a well done, toe-tapping, 5 minute long "girl" ride. But it sure as heck isn't an E Ticket.

If Space Mountain was a snarling V-8 Mustang, and Pirates was a big n' fancy Cadillac Escalade, Mermaid is a nicely-equipped Miata.

Animaniac93-98

It is LEAGUES above 3 Caballeros.

Agreed (and I like 3 Caballeros). It's also better than the too short Maelstrom and any of the Fantasyland dark rides at WDW or DLR (as much as I may like a couple of them more), Monsters Inc. at DCA and Roger Rabbit.

If you go in expecting a D ticket, you will like it. Expecting a Mansion type experience will dissapoint.

Disneyfanman

Agreed (and I like 3 Caballeros). It's also better than the too short Maelstrom and any of the Fantasyland dark rides at WDW or DLR (as much as I may like a couple of them more), Monsters Inc. at DCA and Roger Rabbit.

If you go in expecting a D ticket, you will like it. Expecting a Mansion type experience will dissapoint.

Exactly. High expectations will ruin it. The more we rode it though, the more we liked it. It has a ton of little gags and hidden stuff in it. Our favorite was Mr. Limpet.

space42

Exactly. High expectations will ruin it. The more we rode it though, the more we liked it. It has a ton of little gags and hidden stuff in it. Our favorite was Mr. Limpet.

But Disney is sort of hyping it to be something along the lines of Pirates or Mansion. Heck - the theming of the building at WDW suggests an E-Ticket with a detail level of Splash, Pirates, Mansion. It's almost as if they spent more of the budget on the exterior then the interior. Mermaid should be an E-Ticket...

TP2000

But Disney is sort of hyping it to be something along the lines of Pirates or Mansion. Heck - the theming of the building at WDW suggests an E-Ticket with a detail level of Splash, Pirates, Mansion. It's almost as if they spent more of the budget on the exterior then the interior. Mermaid should be an E-Ticket...

Here's a very good full ride thru video of the rehabbed Little Mermaid 2.0 attraction at Disney California Adventure taken this weekend. It gives the full 5 minutes and 45 seconds of ride time and captures all of the changes that will also be coming to the WDW version... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFwWeXM_tk

The E-Ticket hype and wording for Mermaid came from the 2009 D23 Expo. They've toned that down and don't refer to it as an "E-Ticket" any more, but rather just an "exciting new attraction" in Anaheim. I doubt they'll trot out the E-Ticket phrase again when it comes time for official statements about Mermaid in WDW this fall.

The Mermaid and all other FLE exteriors are looking fabulous at WDW, but that appears to be the new direction for WDI; build amazing exteriors and facades. Have you seen the stunning 180 foot tall rockwork at Cars Land?!? For all we know, Radiator Springs Racers could be a hokey, low-budget D Ticket with cardboard cutouts of Lightning and Mater and an underwhelming "race" portion past truly stunning rockwork facades. But at least the exterior looks amazing! :lookaroun

rle4lunch

Here's a very good full ride thru video of the rehabbed Little Mermaid 2.0 attraction at Disney California Adventure taken this weekend. It gives the full 5 minutes and 45 seconds of ride time and captures all of the changes that will also be coming to the WDW version... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFwWeXM_tk

The E-Ticket hype and wording for Mermaid came from the 2009 D23 Expo. They've toned that down and don't refer to it as an "E-Ticket" any more, but rather just an "exciting new attraction" in Anaheim. I doubt they'll trot out the E-Ticket phrase again when it comes time for official statements about Mermaid in WDW this fall.

The Mermaid and all other FLE exteriors are looking fabulous at WDW, but that appears to be the new direction for WDI; build amazing exteriors and facades. Have you seen the stunning 180 foot tall rockwork at Cars Land?!? For all we know, Radiator Springs Racers could be a hokey, low-budget D Ticket with cardboard cutouts of Lightning and Mater and an underwhelming "race" portion past truly stunning rockwork facades. But at least the exterior looks amazing! :lookaroun

My wife and I were at DL and DCA on Saturday of this week and we noticed the changes to Little Mermaid. The animation is better on the scenes they changed, but the hair doesn't look any better/worse than the 'Dole Whip' hairdo she had before. I think the new one looks kinda dumb actually. As usual, there was no wait to get on this ride.

I got a great overhead look at Cars land while on California Screamin', it looks nearly done. The main downtown area looks like an exact replica of the movie. I was hoping that the main street area would be open to see the new shops and stuff, but unfortunately the weren't. Does anyone know if they're opening that portion along with Cars land at the same time???

We did notice a new show over in front of Soarin' that was kinda neat. It was 'Minnie's' Fly Girls'. I guess it opened in February but last time I went was around New Year's this year, so I guess it isn't that new, but it was okay to say the least. They were wearing 1940's style garb, so I guess this will be the style in the downtown area??

Pixiedustmaker

I like MK’s Pooh, and certainly Peter Pan over Little Mermaid. While Pooh and Peter Pan do have music in them, the music in Mermaid is not instrumental like in these dark rides, and is a focus of the ride, rather than supporting the overall experience.

Here’s the problems with DCA’s Mermaid:

1. The music is straight from the movie, maybe “re-mastered”, but you don’t feel like you’re experiencing an authentic experience as it is so identical to the film. I know Peter Pan has some instrumental music, but they also got the voice actors to do some new lines for the ride, and you feel like it is your own experience going to Neverland as opposed to a musical review.

2. They re-used animatronic turtles (and other characters) from DCA’s Mermaid as identical clones can be seen in the “Under the Sea” scene as well as the finale. Doing the same weird spinning dance.

3. The omni-mover was a cheap way to do a ride system. Yes, it loads fast, but you don’t see as much as with even the pirate ships in Peter Pan as the back and side scenes are cut-off. Omnimover works in HM, which is mostly darkness, but it makes the LM feel claustrophobic as I want to see around me and the ride felt crowded. Peter Pan is cool as there is space between the ride vehicles and it feels like your own personal experience.

4. The scenes aren’t as good as how they were first conceptualized, the “Kiss the Girl” scene looks cheap-o. They should have put into a larger bayou scene with moonlight, instead they use regular light and it looks fakes, the fish spouting water look 100% fake. I think a couple of college students could do a better job, add more trees, add moonlight, kill the fake plastic fish which barely move, remove the glaring light, put in better more subtle audio . . .

5. The finale scene is lame, and doesn’t make sense, as the main characters wave while the Sebastian and dancing turtles are straight from other scenes.

6. Ursula. Most of the animatronics are too close to the clamshell, and hence look fake, plus there is only one Ursula. The other Ursula is just a 12 inch paper cut-out that looks awful and is easy to miss.

Unlike other Disney dark rides, and the Haunted Mansion, the designer of LM didn’t focus on making stuff look as “real” as they could, and it feels more like the Small World where obviously the dolls are fake and the focus is on the songs. Unlike Small World, just a few animatronics per scene move, and I don’t count spinning starfish as animatronics. I like the “Under the Sea” song, but the scene doesn’t work for me.

If you want a little tribute to LM, then this ride is “OK” if you want a ride like Peter Pan or Mr. Toad where you feel like you are in another world for a couple of minutes, this isn’t that ride as there is no believability or “magic”.

Maelstrom is cool because some scenes have that "magic" where you see the trolls and even the oil rig and early norwegians, I would much rather ride Three Caballeros than Little Mermaid as at least some portions of the ride are made to look authentic, like you are in Mexico, or at least a depiction of it.

Mermaid could have been a great E-Ticket, but it disappoints as they didn't really work out the little details, which are what makes a ride, IMHO.

Pixiedustmaker

The E-Ticket hype and wording for Mermaid came from the 2009 D23 Expo. They've toned that down and don't refer to it as an "E-Ticket" any more, but rather just an "exciting new attraction" in Anaheim.

E-Tickets try to give you the feel that you're in another world, even solid D-tickets like Alice (Disneyland) and most of the rides in Fantasyland give you that feeling as well. DCA's Mermaid doesn't come close to attempting to be an E-Ticket, the large outdoor queue they built is hardly ever used and it is often a walk-on. Its not like Pirates where you'd want to ride it again as it feels sort of rushed and cheaply built.

Instead of building an advanced animatronic Ariel which perhaps "swims" through a scene, they added screens. They have to use screens for Star Tours, but I think that a lot can be said for animatronics and ingenuity, the ride really isn't anything original, and the use of a mixture of screens and a handful of animatronics sort of gives a jumbled impression. Some scenes just don't feel completed, like they literally ran out of money.

This, sadly, is what some have come to expect of fixes of DCA, (though Carsland and Buena Vista Street are excellent), they put in something between the cheap rides (a lot of which are there) and the proper rides in Disneyland, and try to get the guests to come. Monsters Inc. is a pretty crummy ride, it moves slowly and you get bored easily, and it flopped. LM was all touted as the cure for DCA, and it flopped. While it is an improvement over what was there, it still isn't quite up to Disney standards, IMHO.

I think WDW got suckered into building the ride by actually believing the hype that Disney felt they had to attach to the ride.

Contrast

We can all only hope for an early opening. If the official opening is late September there could be a soft opening mid-August to early September.
That would be great. Will be there myself during August and I've seen a video of it in Disneyland and it looks brilliant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom