Little Mermaid on Broadway goes dark in less than a week.

SDav10495

Of course, I'm a little biased--I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend next week on stage at Spring Awakening...if there is any Spring Awakening.

Do they make you disrobe to do that? :lookaroun

Really though, that's very cool--congrats! I hope the theaters are up and running by then.

Regarding the topic at hand...as someone who frequents a Broadway message board and has been reading thread after thread (and, invariably, fight after fight) about this labor dispute for weeks, I call for this thread to be locked. What needs to be said has already been said by both sides, and there's really no way to go from here but downhill...it's a very touchy subject that can very easily tear a board apart. Please, I need WDWMagic to be my escape from strike whining...

Msully

Alright...wanted to stay out of this one...but won't.

I am an active IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) union member. I fully 100% support my brothers in the Local One strike in New York, even though it has nothing to do with me, as I live in Florida. The labor problems don't exist just in NY, but all over. Local One is just strong enough to actually do something about it.

For those of you that don't know what we do...we work blood, sweat, and tears all hours of the day much of the time to put on the high quality entertainment and presentations that the world enjoys on a regular basis. We work HARDLY a 9-5 schedule (never) , sometimes working up to 48 hours straight, rigging, lighting, costuming, designing and building sets, rigging audio equipment...etc etc etc so that the show WILL go on. You think I exaggerate? Welcome to "my" world. Think about it next time you walk into Walt Disney World and who puts on and maintains the world class shows...IATSE members. It's everywhere...just look at the end of EVERY movie you watch...and you'll see the IATSE logo. We work hard so you can be entertained.

Saying that...because of our hard work and dedication to put qualilty shows on around the country, we, as professional theatrical stage employees, do demand that we recieve proper (not over-the-top, but proper) compensation in return...as well as proper care taken to our needs. SERIOUSLY...when is the last time you've heard of a stagehand strike that affected million of dollars? A VERY long time. We don't threaten it often, we take what we are given, and make the show happen. In 121 years, IATSE has NEVER affected Broadway. There MUST be problems.

However...when producers and GREEDY people (this country is full of them) want to take-take-take, and not give any in return to the people that took care of them in the first place...the union steps in. For those of you that do NOT know, our International President did step in to mediate negotiations, made progress, and then walked out to deal with other union business. Upon him leaving, the League of American Theatres and Producers changed their minds, and began bargaining in a regressive manner. IATSE, then authorized a strike.

These negotiations are NOT only about money either, they are about hours of work, staffing needs, etc etc etc. True the arguments in question are based on years-old practices. But it is the skillset of a professional stagehand that is the pricetag. WE make THEM look good.

It is the LATP that will hurt...greed gets someone nowhere. Sometimes people need to do what they need to do to open the world's eyes and get something accomplished. It's occasionally a step back, to step forward. Only way to get ahead in today's society is to open your mouth and say something.

And for those that think I have nothing to lose by supporting them? I just spent hundreds of dollars on "over" face-value tickets for The Little Mermaid, for the end of the month. I would only be able to recieve face value back on them. I have a lot to lose. Do I hope its better by then? Sure. But if not...I support their cause. Life goes on...you'd do the same if you were in their position.

The actors and musicians of these shows support my brothers in New York...perhaps others should as well recognize GREED in its finest.

Read this Article

Totally agree with this! Most people on this forum don't know what there talking about! What you've written is from the source and not someones bias who isnt even included in this. Opinions like this are ones i usually consider!

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I've worked for years in television production, and as a news producer, and I'm sure stage production works in much the same way.

One side does a HELL of a lot of work to make the product come together. All the planning and preperation takes MUCH more work than the execution side.

While the production does have a very relax time as far as prep goes. But what they do MUST be precise or the whole thing falls to pieces.

Where the conflict comes is that the actual EXECUCTION MUST BE PERFECT. That's why you pay somebody an 8 hours shifts worth of work to do a 30 minute prep and a 1 hour show.

These are HIGH SKILL fields. Working Audio, Technical Director, Heck, even a camera operator or floor director takes skill and a multitude of execution to be able to handle EVERY POSSIBLE MELTDOWN that happens.

Let me all introduce you to the most feared word in this kind of business.

HACKERY.

The second most feared phrase.

BUSCH LEAGUE.

These are MAKE OR BREAK fundemental items that make the difference in what is a well oiled machine and a rusty wheel.

You can complain all you want about how people are making a good living doing what amounts to a minimal effort and only an hour or twos worth of work. But if just anybody could do it, IT WOULDN'T PAY NEAR AS MUCH AS IT DOES RIGHT NOW.

Television production freelance rates for "LOCAL" mid-major market is $250 a day. I had a friend who freelanced for FOX and NBC. His rates were $500 a day with $500 a day for full travel days. If he flew from Dallas to Colorado to cover a story for 2 days of shoots as a photographer, he made $2000 for four days. Plus he had a per diem of $80. This also included any travel days. So basically, he could do the same job I worked the entire month for 3 days of work and equaled my paycheck. Was I jealous? No. He was better than me. As are these workers.

Don't call them lazy who only work a part day. On some days they hold more responsiblity in their hands than the average American would in 3 months at their jobs.

lightboy

I agree. The last thing I want, is for this board to tear at each other. That wasn't the intent. The country has very separate views on union vs. non-union. That isn't going to change.

Both sides have let their peace go, I'm quite sure I've made my opinions known. I do regret, that there are people that still don't quite understand what it is we really do. There's an appreciation there, but its hard to get.

Unfortunately there are outsiders as well that think that they know what we do, however...really have no idea.

Do I think $160,000 is unfair? I have no comment, I definitely don't make that. Would I ever put that against a school teacher?? Or a government worker who puts their life on the line everyday? No. BUT, in this weird society, but we have celebrities that literally just have to show up to get millions of dollars, without doing anything. This is just one of those higher paying jobs. And it is paid out, why? To keep the show going, no matter what. Meanwhile I've actually checked with some friends in NY, and VERY few are paid 6 digits by the way. The medium is really around $65,000.

I'd much rather drop this. But would prefer if everyone was enlightened into the true arguments at hand instead of everyone's automatic negative response anytime they hear the word "strike".

If anyone wishes to continue this debate, and feels they have due argument...feel free to message me.

artvandelay

Wow, I need to quit my desk job and go be a flyman. That's over twice what I make and it sounds like about a fourth of the responsibility.

If you're a flyman, or flywoman, you're responsible for thousands of pounds of lighting and scenery that is hung over the actor's heads. It is an enormous responsibilty to make sure none of it breaks free and injurs or kills someone.

Also, you're responsible for fire safety for that area of the theatre.

Not to pick sides in a Union strike I have little familiarity with, but as an Economist from Detroit, all I can say is if your a union member in ant industry, entertainment or others, dont take the power of a strike to far. The UAW (auto workers) membership numbered 1.5 million in 1957..now, thier numbers are in the area of $550,000. Union membership had benefits, one of them has never been long term job security.

ToTBellHop

Take this for what you will, but word on the streets from the folks at the picket lines is that Broadway should be up and running by Monday. Negotiations will apparently start Friday.

Mikieboy84

The whole NYPD/FDNY argument doesn't really work.

People who work in entertainment are "overpaid" because entertainment brings in a lot of money. Why should the corporate execs be taking the major chunks home while those who are actually making the shows happen get a smaller cut? The money is there, it's just a matter of who is actually taking it home, and to me, the people involved in the actual productions - including the techies - should be first in line.

DizFanatic

Can we all please stop the bickering?!?!?!:goodnevil

All sides post good arguments and bad ones. I just wish that the ticket prices were a bit less so that a family of 5 does not need to spend over $600 on Little Mermaid tickets (I just did). But the conventional method of business is that the people investing millions of dollars to create the end product do it for a reason. To make a profit. Now I'm not sticking up for the "bosses", but it would be kind of wackynunu if I would expect to make more than my boss. :hammer:

I think credit belongs to all involved in creating such works of art, from the writers, performers, set designers, directors, stage hands, costume designers, lighting and audio engineers, (the electrical engineers like me who design the power and lighting systems for theaters - and make less than the stage hands), the "fat-cats" who put up the money, and the hundreds of other people involved to make that curtain open every night.

I am sure the price will be more than worth it, just as the Lion King was, but I feel bad for the People who don't have the extra cash to spend on something like this, and the people who came to NYC for vacation expecting to see a real Broadway show, and got screwed because of "greed".

Off soapbox, onto work. Have a great day all!

DizFanatic

The whole NYPD/FDNY argument doesn't really work.

People who work in entertainment are "overpaid" because entertainment brings in a lot of money. Why should the corporate execs be taking the major chunks home while those who are actually making the shows happen get a smaller cut? The money is there, it's just a matter of who is actually taking it home, and to me, the people involved in the actual productions - including the techies - should be first in line.
Now not to keep the argument that I wish wouls stop going, but...
Just remember, without those "corporate" people investing $$$ and expecting to get a decent return, the show wouldn't happen either ald all of those striking people would not need to strike because they wouldn't have jobs. The problem is that both sides think that "they" are the more important ones when it take ALL of them to make it happen. And like I said yesterday, if they don't like their job, then they should quit and get a new one just like I did. Or maybe they just can't find it in their hearts to give up such a nice salary.

Sorry, just had to say one more thing.:zipit:

jakeman

If you're a flyman, or flywoman, you're responsible for thousands of pounds of lighting and scenery that is hung over the actor's heads. It is an enormous responsibilty to make sure none of it breaks free and injurs or kills someone.

Also, you're responsible for fire safety for that area of the theatre.
Out of pure curiosity and by no means trolling, do they have a malpractice type insurance that they must pay? If so, then the salary may make a little more sense to me. If not, meh.

Neither side really gets alot of sympathy from me.

ToTBellHop

Out of pure curiosity and by no means trolling, do they have a malpractice type insurance that they must pay? If so, then the salary may make a little more sense to me. If not, meh.

Neither side really gets alot of sympathy from me.
I have empathy toward both sides for trying to protect their families--my problem is how poorly this strike is being handled. Broadway will be in trouble if this continues much longer.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Try going to see those shows in London and you will pay double that amount!

Not to sure about that....generally London theater tickets are about half the price of Broadway tickets...even with the low dollar exchange rate. Friend of mine bought Jersey Boy tickets for its opening month for 40 pounds (orchestra).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom