Little known secrets of Walt Disney World

pilka214

This has been posted before and some if it's probably dated, but since it came up again...

7. The original design for the resorts around The 7 Seas Lagoon were to mirror the lands in the Magic Kingdom
Poly - Adventureland
Wilderness lodge and Fort Wilderness - Frontierland
Contemp - Tomorrowland
Grand FL - Main Street
The resorts for Fantasyland and Liberty Square were never built. (It seems to make sense to some extent, though unknown if it was intentional)

this isn't neccesarily true....

the original plans for the 7 seas lagoon didn't include the Grand FL, there was originally supposed to be a Persian themed hotel. ( found this in the book realityland)

spoodles

Yes, and I can't wait to embarass my son when he is a teen by staying at the WL and walking by the room saying "Oh by the way, that's where you were made.":)

LOL. Reminds me of that commercial, only that's with the kid embarassing the parent -- "Dad calls me his little souvenir", or something like that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
this isn't neccesarily true....

the original plans for the 7 seas lagoon didn't include the Grand FL, there was originally supposed to be a Persian themed hotel. ( found this in the book realityland)
Indeed. It isn`t true, although the Asian would have been a backdrop for Adland and the Contemporary for Tland. The Persian would only have been visible from the skyway, and the Venitian didn`t tie into any land.

7. The original design for the resorts around The 7 Seas Lagoon were to mirror the lands in the Magic Kingdom
Poly - Adventureland
Wilderness lodge and Fort Wilderness - Frontierland
Contemp - Tomorrowland
Grand FL - Main Street

Whenever I go past the Contemp I think:rolleyes: of that building in Monsters Inc!:D

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
Although it was totally cool to read about the secrets you all shared, I wasn't talking about those kinds of secrets. I was talking about secrets like the best place to see _____. And the best time to ride _____. And little known gems at the park. That kind of stuff.

To the ones who are being mean in regards to SEARCH ENGINES I say :wave:I hope you have a magical day.

DisneyJunkie

Again, for those who find noticing the key under the mat at Muppets to be some kind of wonderful experience......what is it exactly that excites you about it? From what I understand, it's simply a key (bolted to the ground) that happens to be under the mat (hence the sign that says "key is under the mat"). What exactly is funny or humorous about that? - (Not a criticism, just curious.)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They shouldn't have to bump a thread if they can get all the information they need from it. The search function is there for a reason, but if people want to waste bandwidth re-posting new threads on topics that have been posted many times, then I can freely criticize them for doing so(And waste more bandwidth!)...

If Steve has a problem with bandwidth, he will let the offender know.

You sir, are just RUDE. :mad:

Bug715

Again, for those who find noticing the key under the mat at Muppets to be some kind of wonderful experience......what is it exactly that excites you about it? From what I understand, it's simply a key (bolted to the ground) that happens to be under the mat (hence the sign that says "key is under the mat"). What exactly is funny or humorous about that? - (Not a criticism, just curious.)

I think the part that makes everyone like it is the attention to detail. Really the sign could be there and not have the key under the mat and some people wouldn't care but the fact that Disney put that detail in is really cool.

Bug715

This has been posted before and some if it's probably dated, but since it came up again...

(I did not compile this list. I'll delete the post if you think this takes the fun out of it. :))

Magic Kingdom
4. Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin: Some of the biggest point values are in the first room. Turn around and hit the back of the orange robot’s arm or the back of the buzz saw…. 100,000 points. (at least partially true, thought point values do tend to change) There are some big points in the projection room where the spaceship is flying back and forth. I always kill my dad on this!!
14. Center Street off of Main Street: go to the end of the street and listen carefully, you can hear tap dancing and singing lessons going on upstairs. (True)- yea. you can hear it from inside Uptown Pins too.
21. Casey's Corner: I was sitting in the bleachers facing the TV showing Disney sports cartoons. On the same wall as the bleachers, there is a bunch of old baseball pictures. One in particular caught my attention. It seemed a lot newer than the other pictures-it wasn't really grainy at all, yet it was dated "1915." Also, the players were sitting on very modern-looking metal bleachers. The last thing I noticed was...THEY WERE ALMOST ALL WEARING PRECISELY THE SAME MOUSTACHE! Could these be the Imagineers who did the Casey's corner rehab a few years back? If you want to find it yourself, go in the TV room connected to Casey's Corner. The pictures are just inside the doorway, on the wall to the left. The picture I'm talking about is about at eye level. (True! I'm the one that originally posted this )- Yup. I found it after this was first posted.
27. Walt’s name only appears on one window on Main Street. It is the one above the ice cream parlor and is the only one that faces the Castle. (True. According to Keys to the Kingdom, Walt enjoyed a dish of vanilla ice cream every day of his adult life. They decided to make it easy for him, through the placement of his window right above the ice cream shop.)- I heard this is because Main Street is like opening or ending credits and when you are leaving the park Walt's name is the first you see and when you enter his name over the train station.

Also, there aren't any bathrooms in the liberty square area. There is one in Columbia Harbor House but technically it is in fantasyland.
And, if you are looking at the two (by sea) to the left there is an emblem of a fire station because back then if you didn't give money and have one of those on your house the fire station wouldn't come put water on it if it was on fire.

Epcot
1. Electric Umbrella: Look for the talking trashcan and the talking water fountain. (True)- I remember these from when I was little but haven't gone into there since then! I need to remember to go back next trip

Disney Studios
6. Singing in the Rain Umbrella: Near Lights Motor Action at the end of NY Street. (Or whatever it’s called now) (True, but only there seasonally)- the umbrella is always there just the water isn't always.
7. Honey I Shrunk the Kids: Look for the dogs nose and stick your hand in its nostrils, it will sniff you (and sometimes sneeze!). (Unknown--it's been a while since I've been in Honey I Shrunk the Kids)- I know it worked in 2005 when my friend and I were back there and vaguly remember hearing it when another friend and I were there last spring break.

Downtown Disney
1. Downtown Disney Marketplace: go with your children and ask at one of the (Disney) store cash registers for the Sticker Hunt booklet. There are 15 different stickers to collect at each of 15 stores. (Unknown)- I really want to go check this out!
2. Art of Disney store: They run a quiz every day and give out prizes if you get them all right! (Partially true. There is a quiz, but no prizes outside of Magical Moment Certificates)- a friend and I did this every time we were down there. They do the same thing at Sid's at DHS. We've gotten Disney pens for getting them right.

Everything Else
1. Monorail: Sit up front with the captain and get a co-pilot’s license. (True--you just have to ask)- you mean you have to ask to sit upfront right? I love sitting in the front of the Monorail!! Sometimes you get akward drivers. I've had one who didn't talk to us at all and another who started talking to my friend and I about Family Guy after we said that we liked the show. We don't watch it all that often so we lied when we said we knew what episode he was talking about.
3. Ask for a list of Hidden Mickey’s from Guest Relations. (Unknown)- I heard this isn't true any more since the printing of the book.
4. Ask for a list of Pressed Pennies from Guest Relations. (Unknown)- this is true! I have the list.

My wife's and my first child, our son, was conceived in the Wilderness Lodge. I'm pretty sure that very few people knew this secret.:lol:

Also, if you climb the stairs by the entrance to the WL there's a very nice little area with a fireplace and some couches on the second or third floor, and no this has nothing to do with the above statement.

Lol. I was roaming taking pictures last Christmas and found this little area. My mom loves to get up before my dad and I and have somewhere to read so dad and I told her she'd love Wildnerness Lodge but I only want the wintery feel around Christmas.

NiarrNDisney

Ok! I have one it's not much of a secret but here we go.
When I go to Epcot, instead of paying for parking or having to wait forever for WDW Resort Transportation, I like to park at the Boardwalk Resort get a coffee and something to snack on from the Boardwalk Bakery, hitch a ride on one of the boats, and enter through the International Gateway. If your like me and like to take your time taking in the sights and snapping photos without tons of other guests standing in the way of your photo op, then I sugggest using the International Gateway in the early morning before World Showcase opens, it's a beautiful stroll and little to no crowds makes it a nice way to start the day and a little break before the hectic nature of Future World.

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
When I go to Epcot, instead of paying for parking or having to wait forever for WDW Resort Transportation, I like to park at the Boardwalk Resort get a coffee and something to snack on from the Boardwalk Bakery, hitch a ride on one of the boats, and enter through the International Gateway. If your like me and like to take your time taking in the sights and snapping photos without tons of other guests standing in the way of your photo op, then I sugggest using the International Gateway in the early morning before World Showcase opens, it's a beautiful stroll and little to no crowds makes it a nice way to start the day and a little break before the hectic nature of Future World.

OK, this is what I was looking for. What are some secrets that make you enjoy the World? I love this idea!

Heatherbell

Well this is not much of a "secret" but it is something my husband and I do every trip and rather enjoy it...

After Illuminations my husband and I find a bench in the World Showcase, sit with a drink and just chill out and watch everyone rush by in a hurry to get to the buses. You see MANY interesting and comical sights. We started doing this because we would rush with the hoards of people in attempts to get to the bus lines. Once there we would stand and stand and stand and wait for the bus. I would be cranky, my feet would hurt and I would end up standing on the bus anyway despite our running to the bus stop. This way we sit and take in the sights, chat in a very romantic area of Epcot, and let everyone else get on the bus. After the crowds have thinned out we then take a leisurely walk to the bus stop, hop in line and we are seated on a bus within a few minutes. Usually there is a bus there waiting. I have never done this after Fantasmic or Wishes...no real reason, just never done it. Usually we shop after.

Now, this works best if you don't have kids or if they are sleeping. We are bringing our 7 month old down in March and I am wondering if it will work out....

NiarrNDisney

Well this is not much of a "secret" but it is something my husband and I do every trip and rather enjoy it...

After Illuminations my husband and I find a bench in the World Showcase, sit with a drink and just chill out and watch everyone rush by in a hurry to get to the buses. You see MANY interesting and comical sights. We started doing this because we would rush with the hoards of people in attempts to get to the bus lines. Once there we would stand and stand and stand and wait for the bus. I would be cranky, my feet would hurt and I would end up standing on the bus anyway despite our running to the bus stop. This way we sit and take in the sights, chat in a very romantic area of Epcot, and let everyone else get on the bus. After the crowds have thinned out we then take a leisurely walk to the bus stop, hop in line and we are seated on a bus within a few minutes. Usually there is a bus there waiting. I have never done this after Fantasmic or Wishes...no real reason, just never done it. Usually we shop after.

Now, this works best if you don't have kids or if they are sleeping. We are bringing our 7 month old down in March and I am wondering if it will work out....

This is a great example of why parking at the Boardwalk and using International Gateway is such a great idea. Oh I forgot to mention you can also park at Fantasia Gardens and head to either DHS or Epcot via Water Taxi.
I to have waited around for the crowds to thin at Epcot and was suprised to find an Art of Disney Location near the entrance, I guess I have always been in awe of SSE to really notice anything else. Anyway I must have hung out in there for at least 45 min. before I decided to catch a bus back to the Resort, but I must say I did get to sit on my way back...;)

DisneyPirate85

They shouldn't have to bump a thread if they can get all the information they need from it. The search function is there for a reason, but if people want to waste bandwidth re-posting new threads on topics that have been posted many times, then I can freely criticize them for doing so(And waste more bandwidth!)...

WOW...Coffee taste ok this morning...:shrug:
its a nice thread to bad your not

Phonedave

The worm can is now officaly open.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom