Little girls in princess dresses

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
I have seen lots of pictures of little girls wearing a princess (or fairy) costume in MK, and I know my daughter (almost 4 when we go) would love it.
My question is: is it really practical? I'm having a hard time seeing her lasting the day in this kind of outfit, between waits in line, potty breaks, rides, running around and time spent in the stroller...
Do you have a little girl who visited the parks dressed in costume? How did it go?
Thanks.

Last edited:

CAPTAIN HOOK

In my opinion, its far more practical to either -
completely avoid the costume in the parks (and save it for home),
take a change of clothes for when your princess has met her favourite princess, or
go into the parks for a short time then back to the resort to change.

You've mentioned all the barriers which you and your daughter will face and I can only imagine it would be a recipe for disaster for fraught parents. People do it, but I wouldn't

R W B

I went with my fiancé and her sisters family a few months ago and her sister had twin 5yr olds and they were in princess outfits probably 4/6 days we were there and they wore it all day and meet complained. Their mom did jar a change of clothes just incase but didn't need it.

I would assume it just depends on the child.

HRHPrincessAriel

Honestly it's more about what kind of dress for us...one of those scratchy polyester things? That wouldn't last all day.
My mom made 2 princess dresses/outfits C wore in the park. They were perfect.

Tinkerfan4ever

My daughter has done PJs from the Disney Store as her costume. She has worn it all day with no problems. Very light and easy to move around in. We have often gotten a ton of questions as to wear she got her "Dress".

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
http://www.disneystore.com/elsa-nightgown-for-girls-frozen/mp/1361063/1000305/

mammaminnie

My daughter loved to wear her costumes when she was younger for princess meals. If it was a dinner, we would change before dinner so she wasn't in it all day. Either way, I always had a t shirt and shorts rolled up in the backpack for her to change in to. The only thing that I wouldn't let her wear were the plastic princess shoes- those can be a nightmare to walk in. She always just wore flip flops or sandals with her dresses so when she changed, shoes weren't an issue.

Weather_Lady

On our daughter's birthday, she wore her Aurora gown for our post-nap afternoon/dinner visit to the Magic Kingdom. She wore pink Tevas with it (I let her change into plastic Princess shoes for dinner only, as she was going to meet the princesses at Cinderella's Royal Table). I had a spare shorts/tee outfit in my purse into which she could change if she got itchy or hot in the gown, but she opted to keep it on for the rest of the night and clearly felt very beautiful and glamorous, dancing, skipping and twirling frequently as we walked through the park.

I think the primary considerations for a successful visit to the parks in a gown are: (1) make sure your daughter has comfy footwear suitable for walking long distances, and that her gown is short enough that she can walk in it easily -- the biggest issue I observed with other little princesses was that they were limping around in dress shoes, or tripping over their dresses); (2) have a back-up outfit on you so she can change if she likes (and a wadded-up plastic shopping bag, in case you need to carry her gown around once she changes -- they get glitter on everything!); and (3) if you are concerned about the gown getting wet or your daughter's hair getting messed up, plan an itinerary that avoids rollercoasters and "wet rides," etc.

Appropos of nothing, here is my darling princess in her gown and sandals in the Winnie the Pooh queue that night, in the midst of calling out something to the effect of, "Mommy -- look! The sign says it's a Hunny Potty!" Yes, we're working on her reading, and no, she made no attempt to use the Hunny Potty as such... ;)

Last edited:

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
Weather lady, she's adorable. :)

Not wet rides for us, and my daughter has super short hair anyway (just done with chemotherapy), so it won't be very long when we go (December).
Thanks for the great advice!

boilerpicc

We found some cotton princess-like outfits at Babies R Us that worked. We tried the fancy princess dresses, but they were too hot and itchy to last through the day. The cotton one worked great.

Haniel

So little girls wear princess dresses. Has anyone dressed their toddler boy as anything? Woody, Buz, Mickey, Donald, Mcqueen?

Thanks for the idea of cotton outfits, I need to check those out.

Weather_Lady

So little girls wear princess dresses. Has anyone dressed their toddler boy as anything? Woody, Buz, Mickey, Donald, Mcqueen?

Thanks for the idea of cotton outfits, I need to check those out.

We saw a little boy dressed at Woody last time (and holding his Woody doll, as well -- must be a superfan!) -- it looked like a nice homemade/assembled costume, too, with real leather cowboy boots and hat! He was adorable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom