Linking Credit Card to Multiple Magic Bands

MissViv

Original Poster
My SIL and I are going to Disney in Sept. We would like to both link our credit card to our own magic bands. The reservation for the hotel was made under her CC. Can we go to the front desk at check in and split the remainder of the hotel charges and add our CC to our own bands?

RememberWhen

Yes. I would recommend doing this as early as possible in your trip. (At check in if you can). We've done it multiple times, though we have had a few glitches now and again. It's a good idea to buy something at your resort to make sure your charging privileges are set up.

MickeyMomV

Yes they can link different cards to different guests even if they are staying in the same room. That way when you buy things and have it charged to your room and you can pay your room charges using the correct card. They don't actually link a card to your magic band.

correcaminos

Yes you can, and in this case I would suggest having two different MDE accounts as you can put your own information in there. The charging is linked to your MDE account in that case so that carries over to the correct bands you can use. If there is a mix up, the front desk can help fix it before check out no problem.

MickeyMomV

Yes you can, and in this case I would suggest having two different MDE accounts as you can put your own information in there. The charging is linked to your MDE account in that case so that carries over to the correct bands you can use. If there is a mix up, the front desk can help fix it before check out no problem.
I've never heard of there having to be separate MDE accounts. It has always been, at check in, they link card X to guest X and card Y to guest Y and all room charges for that individual get paid for by that individuals prearranged card. The Magic band only points the information back to the individuals room for charging.

correcaminos

I've never heard of there having to be separate MDE accounts. It has always been, at check in, they link card X to guest X and card Y to guest Y and all room charges for that individual get paid for by that individuals prearranged card. The Magic band only points the information back to the individuals room for charging.
I didn't say you have to do it, just that it made it easier for us. Last time we did it this way, we didn't have to go to the front desk to get it sorted out like we did on the previous trip.

We did online check in with my family each having their own set of MDE accounts with their own linking credit cards. Even sharing the bungalow together, it wasn't an issue and no extra time spent at the front desk. MDE links the bands to the people, not just the room.

MickeyMomV

I didn't say you have to do it, just that it made it easier for us. Last time we did it this way, we didn't have to go to the front desk to get it sorted out like we did on the previous trip.

We did online check in with my family each having their own set of MDE accounts with their own linking credit cards. Even sharing the bungalow together, it wasn't an issue and no extra time spent at the front desk. MDE links the bands to the people, not just the room.
They should be able to set it up at check in and it should only take 2 minutes max. The key thing is that the card needs to be linked to the room for there to be charging. Unless something major has changed in the last 6 months there is NO charging from the magic band to the credit card. Everything is charged to the room through the magic band and then the room charges are paid off with the card(s) that were left on file for each person at check in. With online check in you may be able to assign a card to each member of the party through the online check in process. I have not done the online check in so I can't verify this.

correcaminos

They should be able to set it up at check in and it should only take 2 minutes max. The key thing is that the card needs to be linked to the room for there to be charging. Unless something major has changed in the last 6 months there is NO charging from the magic band to the credit card. Everything is charged to the room through the magic band and then the room charges are paid off with the card(s) that were left on file for each person at check in. With online check in you may be able to assign a card to each member of the party through the online check in process. I have not done the online check in so I can't verify this.
This was 2 years ago almost. We did not go to the front desk to set up charging which is a time saver. That is what I am trying to say. My brother was on his account in our room. He controls his bands (not me) and his charging (not me). When he is in my room I control online check in for anything under my name (and being DVC he is often in my villa) but he controls everything under his, including his own band. I cannot look at his bands, his charging, his anything. I can add him to my rooms and my ADRs and yes, his bands ship to me when he's in my reservation, but that's it.

It was very nice to not to have to deal with it like we did the previous time as it took time to set it up only to have it not work right, and then go back and fix it after. Which the band ID was used to find out who made the charges so they could easily just transfer it back to the right card, but still 10 minutes I didn't want to deal with again :)

MickeyMomV

This was 2 years ago almost. We did not go to the front desk to set up charging which is a time saver. That is what I am trying to say. My brother was on his account in our room. He controls his bands (not me) and his charging (not me). When he is in my room I control online check in for anything under my name (and being DVC he is often in my villa) but he controls everything under his, including his own band. I cannot look at his bands, his charging, his anything. I can add him to my rooms and my ADRs and yes, his bands ship to me when he's in my reservation, but that's it.

It was very nice to not to have to deal with it like we did the previous time as it took time to set it up only to have it not work right, and then go back and fix it after. Which the band ID was used to find out who made the charges so they could easily just transfer it back to the right card, but still 10 minutes I didn't want to deal with again :)
Right but what I'm tying to say is that the card is linked to the room regardless if you enter it at customer service or online. Without the room there is no "charging" with the Magic Band. You cannot just link a card to our MDE and charge away with the Magic Band (unless something has recently changed). You charge items to your room or in your case villa by using the magic band. From there your room/villa charges are paid with the card that individual has on file. The account is settled with the card on file on the evening of your last full day of your stay unless you hit the limit of your level of hotel earlier at which time it will be settled sooner and the room charge balance will start over.

correcaminos

Right but what I'm tying to say is that the card is linked to the room regardless if you enter it at customer service or online. Without the room there is no "charging" with the Magic Band. You cannot just link a card to our MDE and charge away with the Magic Band (unless something has recently changed). You charge items to your room or in your case villa by using the magic band. From there your room/villa charges are paid with the card that individual has on file. The account is settled with the card on file on the evening of your last full day of your stay unless you hit the limit of your level of hotel earlier at which time it will be settled sooner and the room charge balance will start over.

I understand all of this. Not sure what that had to do with what I was talking about. No matter what you can get multiple cards to charge once you have a room. Like FP+ you cannot just get it unless you have a room at 60 days. The charging won't work unless you have a room. We so rarely charge to our room now, but when we did it was nice to skip the headaches of wrong band charging to the wrong credit card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom