Life in Orlando

Nicole220

Having been to the non-Disney part of Anacrime.. err, Anaheim, I will safely say that I prefer Orlando.

Really? I've been told over and over that Anaheim is very safe, except for a few areas. And when I think of Anaheim, I think of that whole LA-OC area and it seems like there is so much there.
I've never been to the non-Disney areas in Orlando before, but I have to somewhat agree with mkt. There are some shady/scary areas to Anaheim/SoCal. Although, I think you can find this in any city. It just depends on where you live and spend your time.

MerHearted, what areas in Anaheim/OC are you looking to live in if you choose to come here?

MerHearted

Original Poster
I've never been to the non-Disney areas in Orlando before, but I have to somewhat agree with mkt. There are some shady/scary areas to Anaheim/SoCal. Although, I think you can find this in any city. It just depends on where you live and spend your time.

MerHearted, what areas in Anaheim/OC are you looking to live in if you choose to come here?

I honestly don't know. Anywhere close to DL would be best! :D But so many things could affect that. I really hope I can find a job in OC, instead of having to go to LA.

Shaman

no no no Miami is not a third world country. Miami is another country :D

:lol:

You say that as if Orlando was a totally normal place....um...it is still Florida. Don't forget your passport the next time you're down here...or you'll be shot on the spot...

Viva Miami! :lookaroun

-----

So Vince, ever considered living somewhere in between...like Texas? That way you're equally as close to both Anaheim and Orlando. I know you mentioned you wanted to be IN one of those cities, because you wanted to perhaps work there...but...maybe something to think about?

Rabflmom

Your question, however, was if WDW revolves around all Orlando residents' lives. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Brad (speck), for example, has barely been to the parks lately. But he doesn't stay at home. >>>>>

And believe it or not, there are people who live in Orlando who have never set foot inside a Disney park. Some people have been priced out and can't even afford a day in the park and some just have no desire to go to something man made when there are so many things to do here out in the real Florida.
There are still some people who have a grudge against the park because of the problems it has caused and how it has caused a sort of laid back, lowly populated, relaxing little town change into a bustling city with a city's problems.
There is a revolving door for people coming into and leaving Florida. In many cases you just get to really know someone and they are gone, so you really have to adjust to changing friends and neighbors on a regular basis. A lot of people come in thinking they will love it here only to find out they can't stand the weather, being so far from friends and family, the bugs, the storms, or they find out they just can't make it financially down here.
Most people either love it here or hate it.

Rabflmom

I didn't ask for you to tell me where to go. I just asked what life was like in Orlando so I could get a better idea of what awaits me there. Over at a Disneyland board, I asked the same thing for Anaheim. I'm just trying to make an informed decision. I never said I wanted anyone else to make it for me.

The thing to think about is......what job is available for me there. What is your profession? Are you trying to get a job with Disney or just a job in the area. How often you will be able to go to Disney will depend on the job. If you work for DIsney the pay isn't the greatest and a lot of the CMs work 11 hour days and 6 or 7 days a week to make ends meet if they can. After shifts they sometimes go to other parks as something to do because everything welse costs more money.
If you have a college degree things will be easier than if you just plan to work in the service industry(Florida's largest employer)

One of the best ways is to find an Anneheim and an Orlando newspaper on line. Read articles in the paper. Read the want ads. Read the realty section. Learn as much from the papers as you can. In any case try to have a job lined up before you get there. In Florida there are not many unions(Disney has some) but for most of us the employees can be let go for no reason at any time if the employer decides so there is not a lot of job security. Do research to see which place offers the most for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom