Pre-Trip Let's spend some DVC points!!!

Please note, this is my first attempt at a Pre-Trip report, so please bear with my ramblings. :)

So after many years of being tempted to buy into DVC, my wife and I finally decided to bite the bullet and take the plunge into the DVC pool. On our last trip in October 2016, we stopped by a DVC booth in AK. We scheduled a DVC consultation meeting at the Poly for the following day. This would be the second time we would go through the sales pitch. The first time was at Saratoga Springs in 2015. We were tempted to buy at that meeting but decided against it. This time, we were pretty sure we wanted in, and that we wanted to buy direct from Disney (at least for our first points purchase). So we ended up buying in that day and we now have points at our home resort: Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

For those who aren't familiar with how DVC points work, our first year of points would be good from October 2016 through September 2017. We were pretty sure that we would not be using the points within that timeframe so we banked all of those points to use in the following year (Oct 2017 - Sep 2018). This means that we now have the ability to use those banked points, the current year's points, and we could borrow against next year's points.

So now that we have points to use, we need to find a time to use them. We are in the process of planning a large (10 - 12 people) family trip for August 2018. Should we make this a DVC trip?? When we normally go as a family, we usually rent DVC points from a friend. The last trip was Aug 2016, staying in three Deluxe Studios at the GF. Because we normally rent points for this trip and because no one else in the family is a DVC member (yet), we decided it would be better to not use our points for that trip. Well, it turns out that I needed to attend a conference in March for work. The 2017 conference was held in San Diego, but they didn't announce where the 2018 conference would be. When the location was finally announced, it ended up being at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek!!! At first, I didn't know exactly where that was so I looked it up on Google Maps.

Found it!!!
upload_2017-8-24_10-37-34.png

So basically, my conference is being held on Disney Property (or about as close as possible). The conference runs from Sunday - Wednesday. Why not schedule our first ever DVC trip after the conference?? The plan is for me to fly down on Saturday or Sunday for the conference and my wife will join me on Wednesday after the conference ends. Yeah!!! We have a basic plan for a Disney trip!!!

So here are the details:

WHO: Just me and my DW (Which I learned stands for Dear Wife, or Disney Wife, definitely not Damn Wife)
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_7846358080.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7845253775.jpeg

WHEN: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - Monday, March 26, 2018
upload_2017-8-24_10-56-15.png

WHERE: Deluxe Studio at Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.
16882_52_z.jpg

So far, no thoughts on dining reservations. On our last trip, we decided to try out the dining plan and discovered that we liked it. Not so much for the savings, but for the convenience. We will be looking into doing the dining plan again, but at this point we aren't sure.

Since we were there last, there are quite a few new things that we are looking forward to experiencing including Pandora, Rivers of Light, and Happily Ever After. There is also a bunch of new restaurants open at Disney Springs that we haven't tried yet. (Looking at you, Art Smith's Homecomin!!) Also, this will be the first time that we have been there for the Flower and Garden Festival.

I will try to remember to update the pre-trip report as the plans start to come together. Hopefully, I will remember to take enough pictures and take enough notes to put a full trip report together afterwards as well.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

On our last trip, we decided to try out the dining plan and discovered that we liked it. Not so much for the savings, but for the convenience. We will be looking into doing the dining plan again, but at this point we aren't sure.
I won't turn your PTR into a debate about the dining plan, so I'll share one suggestion and leave it at that. You might consider loading ~$850 onto a gift card before your trip, which is roughly the cost of the Disney Dining Plan for two adults over five nights, plus a bit set aside for gratuities. Then, pay for all of your food with your MagicBand. At the end of the trip, run down to the front desk and apply the gift card to your balance. I'd wager you come out well ahead financially without the hassle of managing credits or being forced into the appetizer / entree / drink / desert / snack combinations that the DDP would otherwise mandate. If you feel like ordering water and a $17 burger at dinner one night, you don't have to worry that you're "spending" a TS credit valued at $45.

DisneyJeff

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I won't turn your PTR into a debate about the dining plan, so I'll share one suggestion and leave it at that. You might consider loading ~$850 onto a gift card before your trip, which is roughly the cost of the Disney Dining Plan for two adults over five nights, plus a bit set aside for gratuities. Then, pay for all of your food with your MagicBand. At the end of the trip, run down to the front desk and apply the gift card to your balance. I'd wager you come out well ahead financially without the hassle of managing credits or being forced into the appetizer / entree / drink / desert / snack combinations that the DDP would otherwise mandate. If you feel like ordering water and a $17 burger at dinner one night, you don't have to worry that you're "spending" a TS credit valued at $45.

I agree about the savings. From what I've read, you almost have to work to make the Dining Plan financially worthwhile. I do like your idea about the gift card. I will mention that to my DW. Thanks.

PineapplePrincess

As a DVC member, you are eligible to purchase Tables in Wonderland. It entitles you to 20% off at almost all table service restaurants and most lounges. They are good for 13 months, so you could use it on both 2018 trips. It's good for up to a party of 10 and includes alcohol.

DisneyJeff

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So we are currently booked for 5 nights at Boulder Ridge Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. I am on the waitlist for a studio at either the new Copper Creek Villas at WL or at the Beach Club. I have never stayed at the WL, so I would be happy with either BR or CC. I think I would prefer CC because of the room location in the main building and the fact that they are newer rooms. I have chosen the Beach Club as well because 1) I have never stayed there either and 2) because of the closeness to Epcot for the F&G Festival since we've never visited during F&G before.

Does anyone have any experience with a studio room at any of these resorts? Any pros/cons? Besides the boat to the MK from WL, and being able to walk to Epcot and HS from the Beach Club, how is the transportation? We normally don't have a car when we are there.

Thanks

Trisha Lynn

You might consider loading ~$850 onto a gift card...

I wish I'd thought about that last year when I booked our trip. Then again, we were scraping by saving enough money for the trip itself, let alone saving up for all the food we're going to be eating. Since we're going to F&W time, I also asked if the hubs wanted to get a gift card for that because they're not connected to the "pay by MagicBand" system and he said no, he's good at taking the card out again and again. Silly husband...

Anyway, I'm following along and hope the rest of your trip planning goes smoothly.

DisneyJeff

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So I've got some exciting news... Not only is this trip going to be our first trip using our DVC points. I found out that the first night we are there, there is a DVC member-only event (Moonlight Magic) at Animal Kingdom. The window to book this event opened up this morning. I am happy to say that we were able to register. I know that these events tend to sellout, so I'm glad that I was able to get in!!

1518099964917.png

amjt660

Premium Member
Hello Jeff
Great start to your first PTR - I did not consider it rambling at all - just good story telling.
I am looking forward to your actual TR!

I like the idea of the gift card rather that the DDP
We stopped using the plan years ago when they took out the appetizer
I remember when it was almost everything (including tip)

And , Fly Eagles Fly!!

Max

ELeigh

Please note, this is my first attempt at a Pre-Trip report, so please bear with my ramblings. :)

So after many years of being tempted to buy into DVC, my wife and I finally decided to bite the bullet and take the plunge into the DVC pool. On our last trip in October 2016, we stopped by a DVC booth in AK. We scheduled a DVC consultation meeting at the Poly for the following day. This would be the second time we would go through the sales pitch. The first time was at Saratoga Springs in 2015. We were tempted to buy at that meeting but decided against it. This time, we were pretty sure we wanted in, and that we wanted to buy direct from Disney (at least for our first points purchase). So we ended up buying in that day and we now have points at our home resort: Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

For those who aren't familiar with how DVC points work, our first year of points would be good from October 2016 through September 2017. We were pretty sure that we would not be using the points within that timeframe so we banked all of those points to use in the following year (Oct 2017 - Sep 2018). This means that we now have the ability to use those banked points, the current year's points, and we could borrow against next year's points.

So now that we have points to use, we need to find a time to use them. We are in the process of planning a large (10 - 12 people) family trip for August 2018. Should we make this a DVC trip?? When we normally go as a family, we usually rent DVC points from a friend. The last trip was Aug 2016, staying in three Deluxe Studios at the GF. Because we normally rent points for this trip and because no one else in the family is a DVC member (yet), we decided it would be better to not use our points for that trip. Well, it turns out that I needed to attend a conference in March for work. The 2017 conference was held in San Diego, but they didn't announce where the 2018 conference would be. When the location was finally announced, it ended up being at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek!!! At first, I didn't know exactly where that was so I looked it up on Google Maps.

Found it!!!
View attachment 225018

So basically, my conference is being held on Disney Property (or about as close as possible). The conference runs from Sunday - Wednesday. Why not schedule our first ever DVC trip after the conference?? The plan is for me to fly down on Saturday or Sunday for the conference and my wife will join me on Wednesday after the conference ends. Yeah!!! We have a basic plan for a Disney trip!!!

So here are the details:

WHO: Just me and my DW (Which I learned stands for Dear Wife, or Disney Wife, definitely not Damn Wife)View attachment 225020
View attachment 225019

WHEN: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - Monday, March 26, 2018
View attachment 225021

WHERE: Deluxe Studio at Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (At least for now. We may be changing depending on availability.)
16882_52_z.jpg

So far, no thoughts on dining reservations. On our last trip, we decided to try out the dining plan and discovered that we liked it. Not so much for the savings, but for the convenience. We will be looking into doing the dining plan again, but at this point we aren't sure.

Since we were there last, there are quite a few new things that we are looking forward to experiencing including Pandora, Rivers of Light, and Happily Ever After. There is also a bunch of new restaurants open at Disney Springs that we haven't tried yet. (Looking at you, Art Smith's Homecomin!!) Also, this will be the first time that we have been there for the Flower and Garden Festival.

I will try to remember to update the pre-trip report as the plans start to come together. Hopefully, I will remember to take enough pictures and take enough notes to put a full trip report together afterwards as well.
I guess the value of the DDP really depends on your group. I have gone back and fourth whether to add it and ended up just looking at where and what we will want to eat and realizing that for us it’s probably going to be the best choice. Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out!

DisneyJeff

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I forgot to mention that I have booked a couple of ADRs for this trip:

Thursday 3/22 - Dinner at California Grill.
This has been on my Disney Dining Bucket-List for quite a while. I'm really looking forward to this one.
1518102143916.png

Saturday 3/24 - Breakfast at Chef Mickey's.
My wife has wanted to do this one for a while. Also a first time for me.
1518102177570.png

And that's it for ADRs for this trip. I don't think we are going with the dining plan. But we are probably going to get a Tables in Wonderland card (thanks for the suggestion @PineapplePrincess!) because we will be going back to the world in August. We are considering buying Disney gift cards at Target. I believe you get 5% off when you purchase with their Red Card.

I also booked another exciting add-on to this trip. We will be taking an Illumination Fireworks Cruise on Friday, 3/23. (Please note, that is not me in the picture below. I do still have a little more hair than that.) :cool:
1518102537055.png

Coming up... was I able to get Fast Passes for FOP???

DisneyJeff

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I have heard how difficult it has been to get FoP Fast Passes, so I made sure to log in as soon as our FP+ window opened.

Here is what I was able to get:

Wednesday, March 21 - Animal Kingdom:

5:10 - Expedition Everest
6:45 - Avatar Flight of Passage (yay!!)
8:05 - Rivers of Light (might change this since we have the DVC event that night which may include a RoL showing.)

Thursday, March 22 - Magic Kingdom:

9:30 - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
10:40 - Splash Mountain (one of my favorites)
11:55 - Haunted Mansion

Friday, March 23 - Epcot:

9:55 - Test Track
11:10 - Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot (needed that 3rd Fast Pass)
12:45 - Mission Space (I might be doing this one alone. If so, definitely doing the Orange side!!)

Saturday, March 24 - Hollywood Studios

9:55 - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
11:00 - Frozen Sing Along
12:55 - Tower of Terror

Sunday, March 25 - Animal Kingdom

8:05 - Avatar Flight of Passage (Yay again!!)
9:20 - Expedition Everest
11:40 - Kilimanjaro Safaris

Monday, March 26 - Departure Day

No FP scheduled, not sure when the Tragical Express pickup time will be.

Overall, I'm really happy with what I was able to get. I tried to schedule them as early in the day as possible so I can make additional selections once they are used up. Plus, we tend to park-hop when we are there, so if we use all of the FP's in the morning, we can schedule additional ones at other parks for later in the day.

Only 5 weeks to go!!!

ELeigh

I forgot to mention that I have booked a couple of ADRs for this trip:

Thursday 3/22 - Dinner at California Grill.
This has been on my Disney Dining Bucket-List for quite a while. I'm really looking forward to this one.
View attachment 262564
Saturday 3/24 - Breakfast at Chef Mickey's.
My wife has wanted to do this one for a while. Also a first time for me.
View attachment 262565

And that's it for ADRs for this trip. I don't think we are going with the dining plan. But we are probably going to get a Tables in Wonderland card (thanks for the suggestion @PineapplePrincess!) because we will be going back to the world in August. We are considering buying Disney gift cards at Target. I believe you get 5% off when you purchase with their Red Card.

I also booked another exciting add-on to this trip. We will be taking an Illumination Fireworks Cruise on Friday, 3/23. (Please note, that is not me in the picture below. I do still have a little more hair than that.) :cool:
View attachment 262566

Coming up... was I able to get Fast Passes for FOP???
You are correct target red card saves you 5% on gift cards. There is a max number you can get at a time though. Last time I did it it was 300 (2 100$ GC and 2 50$ GC)

Matt and Kelly

Your plans look great! California grill has been in our list to try but have not gotten around to it. And wilderness lodge is one of our favourites, although we have not stayed there since the renovations. 2 Fop fast passes!! You guys will have an amazing trip!

bee

Great first PTR, and congrats on DVC!

My DW and I have never done the DDP as we would never get our money's worth as vegetarians and we don't want to "have" to get dessert and drinks every meal. We do have TiW and do the Redcard gift card discount thing as well, and save a lot that way. Target now offers gift cards with email delivery as well: https://www.target.com/p/disney-gift-card-email-delivery/-/A-52960548

(Wow, there are a lot of abbreviations in this post!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom