Let's keep the Hubby happy at Disney! Where is the Craft Beer?!

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
We will be taking a long weekend trip in September without kids and no parks. Where on property can we find craft beers, a brewery, flights or anyplace that will keep my husband extra happy? Just for your information he loves IPA's and trying different and odd beers. We won't be renting a car so it will have to be on property. Orlando Brewing was going to be an option but don't want to pay for an Uber.

Any suggestions?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Without renting a car or Ubering, getting from resort to resort is going to be a chore. Having said that...

The craft scene at WDW has been greatly improved. The new Disney Springs has a TON of great places for drinks. PaddleFish, Dockside Margaritas, The Boathouse, all have awesome bars, with awesome views, and many good beers.

The new Geyser Springs bar at WL shares those same features. Good beers, spectacular views, awesome atmosphere.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Thanks for the link! I'll make sure and tell him about it!

On another note.... I've never Uber'd. I'm assuming it's the same as a taxi but with an app. I was going to look into it for going from resort to resort but didn't want to get one for somewhere 30 miles away. Is getting an Uber relatively inexpensive? I have no idea what the rates are?

jakeman

On another note.... I've never Uber'd. I'm assuming it's the same as a taxi but with an app. I was going to look into it for going from resort to resort but didn't want to get one for somewhere 30 miles away. Is getting an Uber relatively inexpensive? I have no idea what the rates are?
Uber's are typically about half the cost of a cab.

Seadogs has a brewhouse off of Palm Parkway. Probably less than $15 at most via Uber. It's not a brewery, but it's a craft beer

As @xdan0920 said Disney Springs' restaurant offerings have a ton of beer choices, many of them local. For the individual Disney lounges, make sure you check the beer list. There are duplicates across property but each lounge usually has at least one unique craft brew to that lounge.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Every Uber I have ever taken at WDW has been under $10.

http://uberestimate.com/

I just checked Boardwalk to Disney Springs, and it was $7-9.

jakeman

One more thing...there is an app called Beers and Ears. It's only sporadically updated, but it's a good indicator of what type of beer could be available.

As for IPAs, you're in luck as that seemed to be the only thing that the local breweries (Orlando, Cigar City) know how to brew.

WDW74

Download the "Beers and Ears" app from the App Store. Gives you every bar, restaurant, kiosk, etc in WDW and what beers they're serving, sometimes with a beer aficionados review. Not always up to date, but gives you good idea of the fairly impressive range of what's available.

Edit: @jakeman beat me to it !

Phonedave

Can't open that link at work, but I asume it is making the same argument I have been for years: more does not mean better. Even before IPAs, back when Emril was doing his "add 20 cloves of garlic" thing, I was saying more is not better. I like garlic, I don't like garlic to overpower a dish. I like hops, i don't want hops (and lets be real, its not even hop flavors, its massive IBUs that are added) to totally destroy the balance of a beer. But I guess "more bigger - more gooder" sells. "The bigger the gob, the better the job" - OK who watches that channel?

-dave

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Download the "Beers and Ears" app from the App Store. Gives you every bar, restaurant, kiosk, etc in WDW and what beers they're serving, sometimes with a beer aficionados review. Not always up to date, but gives you good idea of the fairly impressive range of what's available.

Edit: @jakeman beat me to it !
I downloaded that app for our last trip and never ended up using it. I did notice that it never seemed updated so I didn't know how reliable it was. I'll check it out again. Thanks for the reminder about it.

Master Gracey 5

Just one.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/...nd-brewing-works-at-the-boardwalk-inn-resort/

The food is pretty forgettable, but the beers are solid. IMO.

I'll second this - Boardwalk is our home resort for DVC and the beers here were great while the food was standard fare. ESPN zone has a decent beer menu with bottles of local brews from FL including several IPAs. Certainly not glamorous but you can view the menu here.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/boardwalk/espn-club/menus/

I know you weren't planning on parks but I would say you might want to consider going to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival since it starts at the end of August - they have some great beers offered at the kiosks in addition to the wine and small plates. There may even been a demonstration/tasting at the festival center. These carry an upcharge but I've enjoyed the one's that I have been to immensely.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
I'll second this - Boardwalk is our home resort for DVC and the beers here were great while the food was standard fare. ESPN zone has a decent beer menu with bottles of local brews from FL including several IPAs. Certainly not glamorous but you can view the menu here.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/boardwalk/espn-club/menus/

I know you weren't planning on parks but I would say you might want to consider going to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival since it starts at the end of August - they have some great beers offered at the kiosks in addition to the wine and small plates. There may even been a demonstration/tasting at the festival center. These carry an upcharge but I've enjoyed the one's that I have been to immensely.
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! I was trying not to look into the parks too much because this was going to be a lazy, hang around the pool, eat at some signature restaurants type of trip. I had no idea Food and Wine was going to be happening. Now I just may have to change my plans.:cautious:
Don't freak out......is Food and Wine really worth it? Never been.

jakeman

Can't open that link at work, but I asume it is making the same argument I have been for years: more does not mean better. Even before IPAs, back when Emril was doing his "add 20 cloves of garlic" thing, I was saying more is not better. I like garlic, I don't like garlic to overpower a dish. I like hops, i don't want hops (and lets be real, its not even hop flavors, its massive IBUs that are added) to totally destroy the balance of a beer. But I guess "more bigger - more gooder" sells. "The bigger the gob, the better the job" - OK who watches that channel?

-dave
It's a link to a medical study that people who like bitter taste are more likely to be psychopaths. :joyfull:

Here's a link to the actual research:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666315300428

As for IPA, they are my least favorite styles, but some are coming around and using the hop flavors rather than just going for the massive IBUs. Those are pretty interesting.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster

Master Gracey 5

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! I was trying not to look into the parks too much because this was going to be a lazy, hang around the pool, eat at some signature restaurants type of trip. I had no idea Food and Wine was going to be happening. Now I just may have to change my plans.:cautious:
Don't freak out......is Food and Wine really worth it? Never been.

Its super early but here's the blog post announcing it:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-2017-epcot-international-food-wine-festival/

It depends who you talk to but most people enjoy Food and Wine immensely - including myself. You can easily enjoy a day wandering World Showcase and sampling plates and drinks from the kiosks that interest you. There are some delicious bites there. They usually have one or two kiosks just dedicated to drinks including a beer one by Germany that has some Florida beers (I recall having a grapefruit one that was good but sweeter than your husband might like). You could still have a quiet trip overall and maybe just do a day at Epcot for him to try out some beers and you to enjoy the food as well.

One warning is that it can get busy on the weekend as locals enjoy doing day trips for Food and Wine as well, but I didn't think it was much worse than a normal weekend (I've been twice in early October and early November).

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Its super early but here's the blog post announcing it:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-2017-epcot-international-food-wine-festival/

It depends who you talk to but most people enjoy Food and Wine immensely - including myself. You can easily enjoy a day wandering World Showcase and sampling plates and drinks from the kiosks that interest you. There are some delicious bites there. They usually have one or two kiosks just dedicated to drinks including a beer one by Germany that has some Florida beers (I recall having a grapefruit one that was good but sweeter than your husband might like). You could still have a quiet trip overall and maybe just do a day at Epcot for him to try out some beers and you to enjoy the food as well.

One warning is that it can get busy on the weekend as locals enjoy doing day trips for Food and Wine as well, but I didn't think it was much worse than a normal weekend (I've been twice in early October and early November).
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it and talk to The Man. I'm sure he would love to go to Epcot during this time. He's not the Disney fan that I am and as long at it's not the Magic Kingdom he'll be fine at a park. He is a fan of grapefruit beer though, he's had it a few times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom