Let's discuss that rumor of the elimination of no charge Fastpass!

JD2000

Original Poster
What are your thoughts?

I recently had a thought about how it could actually be a good thing for everyone!

Let me explain:

By charging enough, far less people would use it, but positives do come with that:

• tourists, with limited time to visit, would benefit from the purchase of it.
• locals, who visit frequently and unlikely to purchase it, would benefit from the decrease in standby times.

Curious Constance

I never thought about that, and you're right, it may actually benefit everyone.

If Disney does this, I won't fault them, since they're basically the last one still offering this for free.

But selfishly, I really hope they don't because I don't want to pay more than I already do. AND if they start charging at DLR and still keep it free at WDW, I'll be really miffed!

JoFu

I never thought about that, and you're right, it may actually benefit everyone.

If Disney does this, I won't fault them, since they're basically the last one still offering this for free.

But selfishly, I really hope they don't because I don't want to pay more than I already do. AND if they start charging at DLR and still keep it free at WDW, I'll be really miffed!
Maybe they'll limit FP+ at WDW to resort guests only.

D

Deleted member 107043

And that, at least to me, is the rub. MyMagic+ is a superior service in every way possible, and it's free, and likely to remain so as it gives Disney an edge in the competitive theme park market in Central Florida. Disney is charging $10 for something in Anaheim that gives a fraction of the benefit and the locals are going to eat it up.

mickEblu

And that, at least to me, is the rub. MyMagic+ is a superior service in every way possible, and it's free, and likely to remain so as it gives Disney an edge in the competitive theme park market in Central Florida. Disney is charging $10 for something in Anaheim that gives a fraction of the benefit and the locals are going to eat it up.

Not this local. I really don't think APs are going to go for max pass on an average trip. I could see myself upgrading on the rare occasion I take non AP family / fam from out of town to maximize the day but that's about it.

TP2000

What are your thoughts?

What rumor are you talking about? This is the first I've seen that they are going to get rid of free Fastpasses. Maxpass is something separate, are you confusing Maxpass with legacy Fastpass?

Not this local. I really don't think APs are going to go for max pass on an average trip. I could see myself upgrading on the rare occasion I take non AP family / fam from out of town to maximize the day but that's about it.

That's about where I am with Maxpass too.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am way behind.

So, wait...fastpass has gone MB at Disneyland (I heard that was coming), but not with metrics like WDW (as last I heard) and now there is something called MaxPass?

Can someone who is west coast centric fill me in?

TP2000

I am way behind.

So, wait...fastpass has gone MB at Disneyland (I heard that was coming), but not with metrics like WDW (as last I heard) and now there is something called MaxPass?

There's no real change to Disneyland's Fastpass, but you scan your park ticket at the entrance to rides now instead of handing your Fastpass to an attendant.

Later this month a new system called Maxpass will debut, which is optional and costs $10 per day, per person. Maxpass allows you to reserve a Fastpass via the Disneyland App on your phone, without having to go over to a machine and scan your ticket. It's an optional convenience system, and you could theoretically get a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers while standing in Tomorrowland via the Maxpass App.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There's no real change to Disneyland's Fastpass, but you scan your park ticket at the entrance to rides now instead of handing your Fastpass to an attendant.

Later this month a new system called Maxpass will debut, which is optional and costs $10 per day, per person. Maxpass allows you to reserve a Fastpass via the Disneyland App on your phone, without having to go over to a machine and scan your ticket. It's an optional convenience system, and you could theoretically get a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers while standing in Tomorrowland via the Maxpass App.
Hrm...sooo.....

The last time I went to Disneyland Cali was soon after paper FPs became a thing, and they embraced them (like the crowd at WDW did)...you had people giving them out to other guests, overall, it was a good experience thing...

Much like a family leaving AK would give me an FP they had for a late ride for Everest, I had a similar experience with RSR at Disneyland...a couple leaving saw me and the girl I was with, and gave us a paper FP. And, I would do the same as I left the park if the kiddo and I had to go for an ADR or something...

It was actually a guest interaction benefit to paper FPs that I argued at the time was a net benefit to the experience of "magic"...but....lets catch up.

So, now, unlike then...you need to scan them? Guess they had too much forgery? Not sure why that went into practice...

And now, here we are where some of the "naysayers" on the forums said we would be...you pay for access?

Am I reading all this correctly?

D.Silentu

The Micechat article that was published two days ago("Bye Bye Buggies") claims that this is on its way. According to them, Fastpasses for attractions in the new Star Wars land will only be acquired via an upcharge(of some kind). Perhaps there will be some overall benefit, but I for one can't get behind them charging for a service that was formerly free and created as a band aid for unaddressed capacity issues in the first place.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Micechat article that was published two days ago("Bye Bye Buggies") claims that this is on its way. According to them, Fastpasses for attractions in the new Star Wars land will only be acquired via an upcharge(of some kind). Perhaps there will be some overall benefit, but I for one can't get behind them charging for a service that was formerly free and created as a band aid for unaddressed capacity issues in the first place.
Well, unlike WDW...Disneyland Cali does have a capacity issue to worry about.

mikenatcity1

I am way behind.

To add to what was mentioned, there are no MB at Disneyland (and if the DL management has anything to do with it, there never will be). DL caters to a very different crowd- mainly AP'ers/locals (vs WDW is mainly tourists, people getting their "once in a lifetime Disney trip".

I for one am hopeful about the system- if it means I can actually get a FP to attractions like Peter Pan, Matterhorn, or Toy Story Midway Mania, i'll all in! I hate that if I want to ride Peter Pan I have to get there early...

JD2000

Original Poster
What rumor are you talking about?
Not sure where it started. MaxPass is essentially a transition. No charge Fastpass would eventually be phased out. And exact details seem to change depending on who is talking about it. It could be more speculation than anything.

Phroobar

The last time I went to Disneyland Cali was ...
If you really don't want to sound like a tourist, please remember there is only one real Disneyland and that is in California. All other Disneylands need to be abbreviated with their location but not Walt's park. Also, never refer to California as "Cali". It's insulting. It's like saying "Frisco" to anyone in San Francisco. Also never say "We are going to Disney." while in California. That is a Florida thing.

Disneyfan1981

Ugh Frisco. That still grates my mind, Lol.

We just came back and the crowds there didn't seem to be really using FastPasses anyway. Except for Radiator Springs, Guardians and Splash (because it was crazy hot) every ride had either live FastPasses or within 5 minutes of getting it. The lines were over 45 minutes for some too. It was bizarre. The last day we were there times started ramping up a bit going about an hour out during the middle of the day but nothing like the last couple of times where you'd be lucky to get a FastPasses for a ride as early as 11:30 AM for a return time of 7:30 PM. I loved it as my family and friends utilized FP over and over but I'm not sure we'll be embracing MaxPass UNLESS the free version goes away. We just don't see a benefit other than having not to walk.

Disneyfan1981

What are your thoughts?

I recently had a thought about how it could actually be a good thing for everyone!

Let me explain:

By charging enough, far less people would use it, but positives do come with that:

• tourists, with limited time to visit, would benefit from the purchase of it.
• locals, who visit frequently and unlikely to purchase it, would benefit from the decrease in standby times.

Here is the thing, this only works if it's unlimited as it is now. Then you'd have tourists using them no problem to maximize their trip and locals most likely opting out, but if it switches to only 3 similar to the way it is in Florida then it actually makes the issue worse since people would burn those quickly and just add to the stand-by line.

yookeroo

If you really don't want to sound like a tourist, please remember there is only one real Disneyland and that is in California. All other Disneylands need to be abbreviated with their location but not Walt's park. Also, never refer to California as "Cali". It's insulting. It's like saying "Frisco" to anyone in San Francisco. Also never say "We are going to Disney." while in California. That is a Florida thing.

Born and raised in So. Cal. Not sure why "Cali" is insulting. Doesn't bother me at all. But then I don't get the hang up over "Frisco" either. The fact that it rankles so much makes me want to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom