Let me do a little price comparison and... Wait, that can't be right....

Matt_Black

Original Poster
$1700+ for a check in on a Thursday, leave on a Monday, with a 3 day park hopper, not including airfare or ground transportation. I've no desire to do anything else in the California area.

Animaniac93-98

$1700+ for a check in on a Thursday, leave on a Monday, with a 3 day park hopper, not including airfare or ground transportation. I've no desire to do anything else in the California area.

A 3-Day hopper is $265, which means the average room rate for the time frame and price you stated is over $350/night(!), what hotel did you pick?

If you're not interested in CA, then you could always try Vegas like I just did. Or Pheonix/Scottsdale, AZ or one of the canyon parks or some other western US destination that's only a short flight or half-day drive away.

Although I did it myself for my first time to DLR, I think flying out west for it and nothing else is a waste of time and money. It'd be like flying to France and only going to DLP.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
A 3-Day hopper is $265, which means the average room rate for the time frame and price you stated is over $350/night(!), what hotel did you pick?

Paradise Pier, the cheapest one.

Although I did it myself for my first time to DLR, I think flying out west for it and nothing else is a waste of time and money. It'd be like flying to France and only going to DLP.

Pass. I don't drive, so I'd either have to walk everywhere, take a cab, or trust in CA's public transportation system, and just last week I watched a documentary about the hazards of taking a bus in southern California.

Animaniac93-98

So you ignored everyone's advice about finding a cheaper option that was also within walking distance?

and just last week I watched a documentary about the hazards of taking a bus in southern California.

:rolleyes:

I just took a bus in southern California on Tuesday and I lived to tell the tale. Thousands of others do every day.

You can lead a horse to water...

Californian Elitist

Pass. I don't drive, so I'd either have to walk everywhere, take a cab, or trust in CA's public transportation system, and just last week I watched a documentary about the hazards of taking a bus in southern California.

I've been taking the LA Metro since sophomore year of high school, nearly a decade. Sounds like you're just making up silly excuses.

TP2000

The Paradise Pier was built in the 1980's by a Japanese travel company, aimed at Japanese group tours. It's across the street and parking lots from the rest of the Resort. It was purchased by Disney in the 1990's and given a light Disney overlay of WDI artwork in the lobby, Disney themed bedspreads, and Mickey Mouse shaped handsoaps in the bathrooms. Unless you really, really want those Mickey Mouse handsoaps, I think you might be disappointed in the Paradise Pier Hotel and mad at the money you spent on it.

Maybe it would help if you looked at the Anaheim Resort District via Google Earth and got a better feel for the property that way?

You could stay at the Annabella Hotel two blocks south for a fraction of the cost of the Paradise Pier Hotel.

I don't drive, so I'd either have to walk everywhere, take a cab, or trust in CA's public transportation system, and just last week I watched a documentary about the hazards of taking a bus in southern California.

I've ridden public transport in LA. Not that I intend to make a habit of it, but the LA system felt cleaner and safer to me than the public transport I used a lot in Boston, and have used in Chicago and New York. EDIT: Oh, I see your link to your "documentary" is the IMDB page for the movie Speed. Clever. :cool:

Do you Uber? Uber has a great network going in Orange County, and there are always Uber cars available in the Resort area.

Out of curiosity, which airport are you flying into? With the money you save by not staying at a Disney hotel, you could get a much closer and easier airport like John Wayne/Orange County or Long Beach.

TP2000

I hadn't even taken that into consideration.

Well, avoid LAX like the plague; it's one of America's worst rated airports for a reason. It's also not close or convenient to Disneyland.

Play around on Expedia or something and price different flights into John Wayne Orange County International (airport code SNA) as your first choice and Long Beach Airport (airport code LBG) as your second choice. Long Beach is JetBlue's west coast hub, if you live in a JetBlue city back East.

TP2000

The Dateline Disneyland photo archives has a nice shot taken last week from the Disneyland Monorail as it exits the park on the way to Downtown Disney. This is looking east across Harbor Blvd. from the Monorail to a few of the most highly rated and economical off-property hotels within a >10 minute walk of the parks.
DSC_3204-L.jpg

The Howard Johnsons is the white building obscured by the palm trees on the left. $189 per night for a March weekend. http://www.hojoanaheim.com/

Mimi's Café is the yellow restaurant along the sidewalk. French bistro fare at reasonable prices, good breakfasts, and a great off-property dining option near these hotels. http://mimiscafe.com/

The Marriott Fairfield is the tan building on the right. A typical large Fairfield, but nicely presented. Also $189 per night for the same March weekend, but the same price lets you choose a King or Double Queen room. $204 per night for a "Themed Room" on an upper floor, with Disney artwork and décor. The Disney Themed Room might soften the blow of not having the Mickey Mouse handsoaps at the Paradise Pier Hotel. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxoc-fairfield-inn-anaheim-resort/

The hotel at the back of the photo under construction is the new Marriott property. I read in the newspaper it was going to be a Courtyard, By Marriott. That will be another great option, although pricier than the Fairfield. It probably won't open until late '15 though.

Anyway, I thought this photo might help if you also want to look at the area on Google Earth. There's plenty of decent off-property options. Spending $350 per night at the Paradise Pier Hotel is just throwing money away, in my opinion.

Figments Friend

I so agree with you. We generally stay at the Hilton, while it is more pricey than some others dang it is so much cheaper than on sight and we have had some large, roomy accommodations. I beleive the other place is the HoJo's

I have heard great things about the Hojos on Harbor, but have never roomed there.
Almost did when i came back for my 2nd visit to DL some years ago, but i'm not really a fan of staying on Harbor, as the atmosphere is too 'busy' for me.
Too 'touristy'.

Some travelers like being in the middle of the action when they visit somewhere, but after a busy day in the Parks the last thing i want to deal with once exiting the property is to be surrounded by people in the area where i am rooming.
So i tend to stay on Katella where it is just close enough to the action, but far enough removed so you have some peace after a active day.

I also try to stay away from hotels that tend to attract large numbers of families with children, and the HoJo is a absolute magnet for them, mainly due to the on-grounds 'water park'.
Thus another reason i tend to like the two locations i find myself staying in the most.
Both are fairly 'kid free' which i like as it adds to the peaceful atmosphere after hearing and being with them all day in the Parks.

The Hilton i have also heard great things about.
It is a hot spot during the various Anaheim Convention Center events.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Matt, don't waste your money at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel.

Trust us. it is NOT WORTH THE MONEY!
You are basically letting yourself be suckered into a staying at a 'Disney Resort' that is nothing more then a thin overlay on a pre-exsisting old structure as TP2000 so elegantly described.
Save yourself some serious money and ROOM ELSEWHERE.

We all want you to get the most 'bang for your buck' and Disney owned hotels at DLR are a complete waste of your cash.
They are not at all in the same category as you would come to expect from staying at a WDW Resort.
This is not a slam against Anaheim at all...as both properties on both coasts are VERY different in many cases, and the Resort options are one of them.
A 'must' at WDW for many...not at all 'needed' at DLR and the Resorts reflect this.
Completely different touring clienteles between the two coasts, that is all.

Stay at the better properties that are completely encircling the Parks and in some cases even closer to them.
Don't let the slick Disney Marketing brainwash you into thinking you need to stay 'on-site'.
Not worth the expense, in my opinion, at all with so many other options ( many better in quality and service ) then the Disney owned hotels.
By all means visit and dine at the Disney Hotels ( Grand Cali has some great dining options ) but for all that is holy do not waste your money rooming in any of them.

Of course, it's your vacation and you can stay wherever you darn well want....but it is always a shame to see yet another WDW Vet get sucked into the 'have to stay on Property' vortex that is completely not required or in any way necessary at DLR.
It is totally your call...only you can decide what is best for you.
Regardless, i know you will have a GREAT time at Disneyland.
:)

Regarding an airport to fly into -

Yes, avoid LAX if you can.
You will likely find a cheaper flight into LAX, but the money you 'save' will cost you in travel time to DLR and any shuttle/car rental fees you will have to pay to get there.
LAX is about a 45 minute ride to DLR, and that is ONLY if there is no traffic..which there often is.
It could take up to an hour of more if that is the case.

Paying a little more to land in Orange County or Long Beach is definitely worth it.
I was pricing flights for a upcoming April venture and the price difference was only about $10.
If you can afford to go to DLR, you can pony up a extra $10 to fly into a FAR nicer and more conveniently located airport.

I like SNA ( John Wayne/Orange Country ), but loved my experiences flying into Long Beach some years ago.
Both airports are about a 30 minute ride to DLR under normal traffic conditions..maybe 40 to 45 if traffic is bad.

LAX felt like a third world prison...acres of concrete and steel...the only cool thing being the now closed 'Encounter' restaurant.
I flew into LAX once just to see that. Never again.
Long Beach was swag, and you felt like a rock star walking off of the plane directly onto the tarmac like The Beatles.
SNA is also very nice...and a place you want to hang out in.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have heard great things about the Hojos on Harbor, but have never roomed there.
Almost did when i came back for my 2nd visit to DL some years ago, but i'm not really a fan of staying on Harbor, as the atmosphere is too 'busy' for me.
Too 'touristy'.

Some travelers like being in the middle of the action when they visit somewhere, but after a busy day in the Parks the last thing i want to deal with once exiting the property is to be surrounded by people in the area where i am rooming.
So i tend to stay on Katella where it is just close enough to the action, but far enough removed so you have some peace after a active day.

I also try to stay away from hotels that tend to attract large numbers of families with children, and the HoJo is a absolute magnet for them, mainly due to the on-grounds 'water park'.
Thus another reason i tend to like the two locations i find myself staying in the most.
Both are fairly 'kid free' which i like as it adds to the peaceful atmosphere after hearing and being with them all day in the Parks.

The Hilton i have also heard great things about.
It is a hot spot during the various Anaheim Convention Center events.

True.

I don't mind conventions. They for the most part are civilized people though a bit blitzed in the later evening.
I tend to even at WDW shy away from action too. As much as I love the Contemporary and the size of the rooms it isn't your resort, it is a stop over for a good chunk of other resort guests and day visitors. I don't appreciate not being able to get a meal at my own resort. I find this to be the case with the DL resorts even way back. The resorts are very nice don't get me wrong but even the lobbies are filled with people hang'n.

I like the moderate resorts at WDW because for the most part, the vast majority of guests there are actually guests of the resort and stay away from rooms directly inline with the pools. Peaceful.

Cosmic Commando

My go-to is Wikimapia. Everything in and out of the parks is labeled. It's a great way to check out each hotel along Harbor Blvd there. The crosswalk that will get you across Harbor and to the parks is right at the IHOP. I've always driven to Disneyland from faaaar away, but I would personally grab a hotel right next to that crosswalk... you'd be looking at less than a five minute walk from your room to either park or Downtown Disney.

Edit: You can get a room at the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites, right across from the Esplanade, for $94 per night from 12/3 to 12/7 (I just picked a time that lined up with what you've said). It's got a good location, and the reviews on TripAdvisor are pretty solid. It's typical of what you'd find on that strip of Harbor Blvd. Unremarkable, but also unremarkable in the bad way as well. ;)

Deluxe_Room.jpg

Last edited:

Figments Friend

The (DL) resorts are very nice don't get me wrong but even the lobbies are filled with people hang'n.

I hear ya, Gabe.

Something new visitors might not be aware of is the continuous stream of pedestrian traffic that trudge directly through the front lobby of Disney*s Grand Californian Resort on a daily basis.
These are not Guests staying at the hotel, but a plethora of people using the lobby as a shortcut to cross over the property from other hotels to get to the Parks or DTD.

Many people cut through the lobby from resorts in the area, including Disney*s Paradise Pier Resort across the street and many off-site hotels located on Katella Ave.
The lobby is also definitely a place the general public seems to like to use as a meeting spot or a rest stop between the treks to and from the Parks.

I will confess that i have cut through a few times in the past...and have had a seat in one of the comfy chairs by the stone fireplace listening to the piano player on a couple of fine early evenings as i deal with the onset of jetlag upon arrival.
I then get up and head elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mickey_777

I'm not sure what the beef is with LAX. We've never had issues getting off the plane, grabbing our luggage, and catching a shuttle to Anaheim. Flying out from LAX has never been a problem either. We've gone through John Wayne and Long Beach as well. They're great and close to DL, but flights are far pricier.

Animaniac93-98

LAX is clearly undergoing a major renovation as parts of the airport look much better than they did 3 years ago.

It's also easier for me to find direct flights in and out of vs John Wayne.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I had no issue with LAX in 2012 except 3 of us all landed at different terminals and had to hike to get to each other - but that's not the airport's fault

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom