Let me do a little price comparison and... Wait, that can't be right....

Kate Alan

Agree with others who have posted - I've done both WDW and DLR last year and will be doing it again this year, and even with 4 day park hoppers added this time around the cost of the DLR trips are nowhere near as expensive as the WDW ones were.

I use the Best Western Park Place Inn & Mini Suites. We're the type that spend the majority of time in the parks, not in our rooms though, so that's worked out very well. They do have a pool that's on the small end (haven't used it yet, though I will this July when a friend and I travel there), but the convenience of being literally right across the street more than makes up for it, and the rooms are clean and comfortable, and larger than I expected considering the price point. There is also a Fairfield Inn a couple doors down that friends have also had good luck for with rates.

I would never pay to stay in one of the on-property hotels - the rates are too exorbitant for me with too little payoff, since even the extra hour in the parks can be obtained by the purchase of the 3+ day park hopper. YMMV of course.

PacNWTigger

I highly recommend The Annabella Hotel. The last time we stayed there we got a room upgrade AND free breakfasts for our entire stay. We generally walk up to GCA and then through Downtown Disney to get to the gates...it's maybe a 10 minute walk.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The key to visit DLR is to not stay at a Disney owned hotel.
It is absolutely NOT necessary by any means as there are NO benefits to *staying On-Site* as you are used to at WDW.
The three Disney-owned hotels are vastly overpriced and are not what you would expect coming from the situation in Orlando.
Trust me when i say you do not need to *stay On Property* at DLR.
You also do not need the DLR Dining Plan as it is not really essential to a visit like it might be at WDW.
:)

THIS...100% - we went to DLR in 2013 for the 1st time and we're going back again this year. Staying at the Fairfield Inn (across the street) with NO dining plan.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Once WDW vets stop looking at the DLR as a vacation destination, it will be easier for you all to actually make the trip. California is the destination, while Disneyland is an attraction. You could spend eight days in WDW, or spend eight in California, doing Disneyland, touring Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, San Diego, etc. and actually get more for your money and gain some culture. Your pick.

That's why we're coming for 2 weeks and enjoying more of Cali this time!

Figments Friend

Can you tell me what off site hotels you would recommend? I went a few years ago and splurged at the Grand California and it put me in the hole for months afterwards.

The two places i tend to room in when in town are the Quality Inn & Suites on Katella Ave, and Stay America Suites on S. Clementine.
Both are a enjoyable 10 to 15 minute walk to the Parks, and both are reasonably priced for what you get.

I prefer the Quality as i find the offerings fit my needs like a glove.
Clean room with a comfy bed and a shower, and a better then average 'free breakfast' option. All this one needs.
Nothing overly fancy, but not a 'dump' either. The owners and staff have always been very friendly and helpful.
I also like the location.

The free breakfast they have is decent and much more then the typical 'bread and water' continental offerings.
Eggs, waffles, meat products, cereal, lots of fruit..hot oatmeal, plus juice, coffee and tea.
The dining area in the front lobby is tiny...so most dine outside in the mini-tropical garden area next to the small pool or take their food back to their room.
There is a 24 hours 'Denny's' practically next door which can be a handy meal option later in the evening once the Parks close.
The property is small, but i find that a plus. Has a cozy feeling at times.

I always visit during the off-seasons, so i usually pay anywhere from $69 to $89 a night for a regular room there.
During the Summer season and other peak times, expect to pay well over a 120+ per night.
That is when Stay America comes into play....

The advantage with Stay America is the longer you stay, the less you pay per night.
Off-season i have paid $78 to $89 a night ( week-long stay rate ) and peak season rates are of course usually more.

They have several room types, multi-bed options, etc...so it has more room variety choices.
So for someone with a family wanting to stay a week or more, this may be a better option then the Quality.
The rooms are larger and all have a built in small kitchen with full stove, fridge, and all cooking utensils present.
Think of it as a very small studio apartment.

Housekeeping is not daily..but weekly..unless you pay more.
Something to keep in mind, especially if you are with others or just messy!
More like a 'apartment building' then a 'hotel' in my opinion, it is a fair option for budget accommodations.
They also have a pool on property, and also offer a 'free breakfast', but it is mostly snacks only ( granola bars, fruit, coffee/tea ).

Of the two, i would recommend the Quality for single travelers, couples, or folks with one or two children.
Larger families or a group of friends would probably prefer Stay America for both price and space options.

Another note about both -
I liked the locations as they are close to the Parks, but far enough away to be separated from the somewhat crazy 'tourist scene' on Harbor Blvd.
Quality on Katella is right across from a large Cast parking lot for DCA ( obscured by scenic palm trees ).
Stay America is located next door to the Anaheim Gardenwalk, a local outdoor dining/shopping area similar to DTD.

Last edited:

UofMGuy423

We visited DLR this past week and loved it. We plan on going back next year at the same time. The things we enjoyed were the SoCal weather vs. Orlando's this time of year, the condensed areas of DLR vs. WDW, we accomplished so much more in 1 day at DLR then we could do at WDW in 2-3 days. We were also surprised to find that DLR's fantasy land is actually better and that all of the popular rides we enjoy at WDW are in DLR. Plus, a week's vacation in SoCal can include a lot of local sites, which we really enjoyed. We ended the trip feeling fairly relaxed and not exhausted.

But, yes, I second the other posters who say you do not need to stay on-site at DLR. We stayed nearby and were able to leave the park and go back to our hotel in less than 10-minutes.

TP2000

I've had family stay at the Grand Californian, and although I only live about 10 miles from Disneyland I have also stayed at the Grand Californian for a few nights when they were in town. It's not worth it.

Since then, family has stayed at both the Fairfield Inn on Harbor and Annabella on Katella. Both were fantastic for the price, not much more of a walk to the parks than Disney's hotels, and slashed the price of the vacation by huge sums of money. People also rave about the Howard Johnson's on Harbor, across the street from the Fairfield. (And there are two large hotels under construction inbetween, I think they are going to be Marriott properties?)

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/

And yes, the SoCal CityPass should be mandatory for anyone visiting SoCal! The Magic Morning option is great for Cars Land. http://www.citypass.com/southern-ca...&matchtype=b&gclid=CI_ltt-zmcMCFYWUfgodNUYAWQ

Also mandatory should be a peruse through the "Official Explore Southern California" thread here. Don't stick yourself on Disney property, get out and explore one of the planet's most dynamic and interesting mega-cities! http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

TP2000

And then there's eating at Disneyland, versus eating at WDW.

If you will be at Disneyland for a few days, make a reservation for dinner at the Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic! seating package. If you want to splurge or are celebrating something adult (anniversary, birthday, or just Walt Disney) make a dinner reservation at Carthay Circle Theatre or the Napa Rose. Maybe consider a dinner reservation at Catal or Ralph Brennan's in Downtown Disney.

Then for all other meals you just look at the various options in the park and... walk there and go in and eat. No reservations required. No reservations accepted.

There's a level of restaurant at Disneyland that doesn't exist at WDW, and it's called the Buffeteria. You go in and get a tray, then go through an order process where fresh food is plated for you to order, and then you take your full tray to a cashier and pay. Then you take your tray out onto a patio and listen to a live band in a lovely atmosphere, and eat a good meal off of real china with real silverware.

The Buffeteria restaurants with real china and silverware (with live entertainment and/or stunning views) are the following:

Disneyland, New Orleans Square, The French Market (except for the ladies hairdos and bigger trees, this 1966 lunch scene looks identical to today)
8_68_ETBC_N09.jpg

Disneyland, Frontierland, Rancho Del Zocalo (surprisingly good Mexican platters and barbeque)

Disneyland, Frontierland, Riverbelle Terrace (also a popular breakfast spot for pancakes)

Disneyland, Main Street USA, The Plaza Inn (famous fried chicken! And showcased by Walt on national television on The Wonderful World of Color. This place just oozes Walt and old-school Disneyland, don't miss it!)

Walt pointing out "the people" in The Plaza Inn to Disneyland Tencenial Ambassador Julie Rheim
Walt_Introducing_attraction.jpg

Walt has a cup of coffee in The Plaza Inn, pondering plans for his park.
walt-disney-plaza-inn-restaurant.jpg

You can eat there today on a large, lovely patio in SoCal's near-perfect climate...
Outdoor-Seating-1.jpg

Or go to one of the inside fancy dining rooms and try to find that same table where Walt used to sit. It hasn't changed.

Across the way at DCA, there's a few similar options...

Flo's V8 Café, with good American diner food and a couple great craft beers and California wine selection.
DSC_5211-5215HDR.jpg

But take your tray of food out onto the back patio, where you get a Million Dollar view of Radiator Springs Racers in action.
IMG_4361.JPG

Also in DCA is Paradise Gardens, a large patio and sunken garden area with two buffeteria restaurants serving Italian pizza/pasta and Greek skewers. There's a bandstand with live bands performing Italian folk and American standards while you dine al fresco.

And again, these are dining concepts that disappeared from WDW's parks 15 years ago.

Forget about Dining Plans at Disneyland. Just go where your stomach and pocketbook and your heart desires. It's fun! It's Disneyland! :D

Last edited:

Figments Friend

And then there's eating at Disneyland, versus eating at WDW.

If you will be at Disneyland for a few days, make a reservation for dinner at the Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic! seating package. If you want to splurge or are celebrating something adult (anniversary, birthday, or just Walt Disney) make a dinner reservation at Carthay Circle Theatre or the Napa Rose. Maybe consider a dinner reservation at Catal or Ralph Brennan's in Downtown Disney.

Then for all other meals you just look at the various options in the park and... walk there and go in and eat. No reservations required. No reservations accepted.

There's a level of restaurant at Disneyland that doesn't exist at WDW, and it's called the Buffeteria. You go in and get a tray, then go through an order process where fresh food is plated for you to order, and then you take your full tray to a cashier and pay. Then you take your tray out onto a patio and listen to a live band in a lovely atmosphere, and eat a good meal off of real china with real silverware.

The Buffeteria restaurants with real china and silverware (with live entertainment and/or stunning views) are the following:

Disneyland, New Orleans Square, The French Market (except for the ladies hairdos and bigger trees, this 1966 lunch scene looks identical to today)
8_68_ETBC_N09.jpg

Disneyland, Frontierland, Rancho Del Zocalo (surprisingly good Mexican platters and barbeque)

Disneyland, Frontierland, Riverbelle Terrace (also a popular breakfast spot for pancakes)

Disneyland, Main Street USA, The Plaza Inn (famous fried chicken! And showcased by Walt on national television on The Wonderful World of Color. This place just oozes Walt and old-school Disneyland, don't miss it!)

Walt pointing out "the people" in The Plaza Inn to Disneyland Tencenial Ambassador Julie Rheim
Walt_Introducing_attraction.jpg

Walt has a cup of coffee in The Plaza Inn, pondering plans for his park.
walt-disney-plaza-inn-restaurant.jpg

You can eat there today on a large, lovely patio in SoCal's near-perfect climate...
Outdoor-Seating-1.jpg

Or go to one of the inside fancy dining rooms and try to find that same table where Walt used to sit. It hasn't changed.

Across the way at DCA, there's a few similar options...

Flo's V8 Café, with good American diner food and a couple great craft beers and California wine selection.
DSC_5211-5215HDR.jpg

But take your tray of food out onto the back patio, where you get a Million Dollar view of Radiator Springs Racers in action.
IMG_4361.JPG

Also in DCA is Paradise Gardens, a large patio and sunken garden area with two buffeteria restaurants serving Italian pizza/pasta and Greek skewers. There's a bandstand with live bands performing Italian folk and American standards while you dine al fresco.

And again, these are dining concepts that disappeared from WDW's parks 15 years ago.

Forget about Dining Plans at Disneyland. Just go where your stomach and pocketbook and your heart desires. It's fun! It's Disneyland! :D

^

This!

1000 times this.
I fully endorse TPs post.
:D

No need to over-plan.
Just GO and have fun.
That is one of the ( several ) wonderful things about Disneyland that a visit to WDW cannot match, especially these days, with the extreme dependence on Dining Reservations and FP+ now.
At DLR you just walk in and dine.

No booking 6 months in advance.
No fighting people for seats.
Just go in...get your food...and RELAX.

I love being able to do that at Disneyland.

Eating off of real china plates and using metal silverware, even at counter service locations, is nice too.
Makes you feel like a true *Guest* of Walt, as he would have wanted it.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The key to visit DLR is to not stay at a Disney owned hotel.
It is absolutely NOT necessary by any means as there are NO benefits to *staying On-Site* as you are used to at WDW.
The three Disney-owned hotels are vastly overpriced and are not what you would expect coming from the situation in Orlando.
Trust me when i say you do not need to *stay On Property* at DLR.
You also do not need the DLR Dining Plan as it is not really essential to a visit like it might be at WDW.

I have visited Disneyland three times in the past year and each visit i have stayed for a week off-site at a decent hotel a few minutes walking distance from the Parks.
That week in Anaheim was far less expensive then i would have paid for only 4 to 5 days staying On Property at WDW with everything included ( tix, meals, flight, etc. ).
Anaheim definitely gives me more *bang for my buck* then WDW these days.

There are dozens of fine and reasonable chain hotels within literal walking distance to the front gates of the Parks that fit every budget and need.
Wether you want to splurge and stay at a swag Hilton, or swing a mom & pop motel..Anaheim has something for everyone accommodation wise.

I highly recommend a visit to Disneyland , especially THIS year.
The 60th Anniversary Celebration is going to blow people away with the enticing line up of new entertainment, all-new Night Parade, all-new fireworks spectacle, and new ride enhancements being planned.
Add into the mix the assortment of already present stellar exclusive Attractions and a real quality in the presentation and DLR is where it is at this year.

Go for it !

I so agree with you. We generally stay at the Hilton, while it is more pricey than some others dang it is so much cheaper than on sight and we have had some large, roomy accommodations. I beleive the other place is the HoJo's

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom