Let me do a little price comparison and... Wait, that can't be right....

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Well, I'm budgeting for a WDW trip for December when, yesterday, I get the idea to maybe do Disneyland instead. I haven't been out to California in over a quarter of a century, and have never been to DL. I figure I can do stuff in a shorter amount of time, there only being 2 parks over there and, more importantly, it'd be cheaper. Right?

Heh. Heh heh. No.

Seriously? A 3-day stay with hotel and tickets is almost as much as a 7-day stay in WDW WITH the dining plan. How does that make sense?

Figments Friend

The key to visit DLR is to not stay at a Disney owned hotel.
It is absolutely NOT necessary by any means as there are NO benefits to *staying On-Site* as you are used to at WDW.
The three Disney-owned hotels are vastly overpriced and are not what you would expect coming from the situation in Orlando.
Trust me when i say you do not need to *stay On Property* at DLR.
You also do not need the DLR Dining Plan as it is not really essential to a visit like it might be at WDW.

I have visited Disneyland three times in the past year and each visit i have stayed for a week off-site at a decent hotel a few minutes walking distance from the Parks.
That week in Anaheim was far less expensive then i would have paid for only 4 to 5 days staying On Property at WDW with everything included ( tix, meals, flight, etc. ).
Anaheim definitely gives me more *bang for my buck* then WDW these days.

There are dozens of fine and reasonable chain hotels within literal walking distance to the front gates of the Parks that fit every budget and need.
Wether you want to splurge and stay at a swag Hilton, or swing a mom & pop motel..Anaheim has something for everyone accommodation wise.

I highly recommend a visit to Disneyland , especially THIS year.
The 60th Anniversary Celebration is going to blow people away with the enticing line up of new entertainment, all-new Night Parade, all-new fireworks spectacle, and new ride enhancements being planned.
Add into the mix the assortment of already present stellar exclusive Attractions and a real quality in the presentation and DLR is where it is at this year.

Go for it !
:)

Last edited:

Gomer

I did the same thing a couple years ago. I thought it would turn out cheaper and we could do a quick trip between Orlando vacations. Even with a cheaper hotel, for most of us closer to the east coast the difference in airfare, ground transportation, etc… washes away any hotel savings. For me, a 4 day trip to Anaheim exceeds the cost of 8 days in Orlando on WDW property.

gsimpson

I am not saying there is any big advantage to staying on site in CA, but there is an "extra magic hour" in the morning that lets you in the park an hour before the crowds. The quality of the hotels would probably be in line with the moderates at WDW. The downtown Disney area is more or less connected to the 3 hotels. You would be paying a lot for some convenience.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
I did the same thing a couple years ago. I thought it would turn out cheaper and we could do a quick trip between Orlando vacations. Even with a cheaper hotel, for most of us closer to the east coast the difference in airfare, ground transportation, etc… washes away any hotel savings. For me, a 4 day trip to Anaheim exceeds the cost of 8 days in Orlando on WDW property.

That's what I'm thinking. There's more to do in WDW, and, to quote my sister who has been to DL, "Their castle STINKS! It's so tiny! They should get a new one!" Good luck on that last one, sis.

Gomer

That's what I'm thinking. There's more to do in WDW, and, to quote my sister who has been to DL, "Their castle STINKS! It's so tiny! They should get a new one!" Good luck on that last one, sis.

Can’t say I agree with your sister on the castle :) But yeah, I do find it hard to justify the extra expense to get out to Anaheim. And before anyone jumps on me, I love Disneyland. I’ve been there 5 times. I have a relative who has worked at the park for going on 40 years and it was my first Disney park visit at age 2. I just always find WDW winning in my yearly competition for my vacation time.

I do hope to, in a few years when my kids are old enough to appreciate it, to combine a southern California trip with some other “must do’s” (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc…) and make a full week vacation out of it. But with young children and a limited budget, it just never wins the battle against WDW.

Californian Elitist

Well, it depends on where you're flying from, as well as your hotel choice (don't stay on property).

Once WDW vets stop looking at the DLR as a vacation destination, it will be easier for you all to actually make the trip. California is the destination, while Disneyland is an attraction. You could spend eight days in WDW, or spend eight in California, doing Disneyland, touring Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, San Diego, etc. and actually get more for your money and gain some culture. Your pick.

And if the size of the castle bothers you, you'll never get there.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Once WDW vets stop looking at the DLR as a vacation destination, it will be easier for you all to actually make the trip. California is the destination, while Disneyland is an attraction. You could spend eight days in WDW, or spend eight in California, doing Disneyland, touring Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, San Diego, etc. and actually get more for your money and gain some culture. Your pick.

Odds are, I'd be traveling solo, and I find doing national park stuff on your own... awkward.

jprieur

I agree with the folks above, there is def no need to stay 'onsite', the hotels there are massively overpriced, even moreso than WDW. However, don't expect much more than a place to stay if you stray to the MOTELS on Harbor ave, they are mostly older structures that have updated just enough to not feel seedy. Closest 'nice' full service hotel would be the anaheim convention center hotels like the Hilton, maybe 10 min walk.

I think its worth it to spend some time at disneyland to try something different. While I enjoyed my time there, it made me appreciate WDW much more for its immersion and get away from it/resort feel. You can easily walk past several homeless people sleeping on a bus bench right out side the gates to the esplanade between the two parks. You will also see hordes of disney employees, in uniform walking and busing to work. Again, just a different experience. We did what you did several times, thought about taking a WDW break, priced out a disneyland 3 day vacation, then ultimately went to WDW since it was cheaper for a full week. It wasn't until we did our company holiday party at DL that I went for 2 days.

However, its so nice to ride a space mountain that isn't falling apart, walk over to a far superior pirates of the caribbean and then park hop without hoping on a bus. So much more offered in a smaller footprint. Plus, you can't even compare the weather OC vs Orlando.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, I'm budgeting for a WDW trip for December when, yesterday, I get the idea to maybe do Disneyland instead. I haven't been out to California in over a quarter of a century, and have never been to DL. I figure I can do stuff in a shorter amount of time, there only being 2 parks over there and, more importantly, it'd be cheaper. Right?

Heh. Heh heh. No.

Seriously? A 3-day stay with hotel and tickets is almost as much as a 7-day stay in WDW WITH the dining plan. How does that make sense?

Without any baseline of what you are comparing... there is little to correct your course.

First, understand that that the only Disney hotels worth staying at in DLR are the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. Both are priced as Deluxe hotels and you don't get the 30% discounts that you often see in WDW. So unless you are the type that stays in the GF and Poly... expect to stay offsite to have a true comparison. Depending on your party size and tolerances... expect to pay $70-150/night for hotels/parking. Priceline is great for the convention hotels which are adjacent to the park as well. I think I've paid $65 or so for the Marriot in the past... and pay for a cab from John Wayne.. and walk to the parks.

Park tickets are what they are...

Dining - you'll pay out of pocket and frankly while DLR's food offerings have improved in recent years (in DCA specifically), expect to eat at counter service more than sit down. Food prices aren't great in Cali, but counter service is generally better than WDW. Dining is simply 'different'... for DLR vs WDW. Plan some table meals, but you pay out of pocket and no stupid DDP.

Airfare... well that depends on where you are going and when obviously. No one can influence that.. but you can jockey it a bit by comparing the different local airports. Long Beach and John Wayne are actually better airports to fly into... but LAX may still be cheaper depending on when/where/etc.

Rasvar

I have to agree with not staying at Disney hotels unless you are just dead set on staying at DLR or Grand California. So many good hotels within walking distance of the entrance (including even closer to the parks walking wise than DLR). I find the counter service in DLR to be superior to WDW. Plenty of decent sit down restaurants that don't require reservations 180 day out to get into.

As far as two parks, they are two pretty packed with attraction parks. Being able to walk from one park to the other is a plus if you are on a short schedule. There are also decent hotel and ticket package deals with many good hotels outside the park that can include early entrance into the park (assume the early entrance program is still running).

Travel Junkie

California is generally more expensive, because well it’s California. Food, gas, clothing, rent (in your case hotel space), taxes; everything is higher compared to most of the country.

While DLR has half the number of parks, the number of attractions in those 2 parks is roughly equal to WDW’s 4, so you can consider that a value in terms of time. You can experience more in less time. Quick service is a little pricey but is also higher quality than WDW. You also have the conveyance of hopping across the street and eat off property.

I agree with the others and stay off property. You can always visit the common areas of the Disney hotels.
Definitely do more than just Disneyland.

PacNWTigger

Many of the good neighbor hotels give the Extra Magic Morning time if that is important to you guys. I have only stayed off property when at DLR, and I don't feel that I am missing anything by doing so.

There is plenty of things to do not only at DLR, but around the area as well. Be sure to check out the Official "Explore Southern California" thread to get some ideas of things to do around town.

Magenta Panther

Heh. Heh heh. No.

I'm with you. It's ridiculous. I'm planning a Disneyland trip myself and I was thinking about staying at the Grand Cali, but hoo boy, those prices. Guess I'll be staying off-property. :p

BuddyThomas

The key to visit DLR is to not stay at a Disney owned hotel.
It is absolutely NOT necessary by any means as there are NO benefits to *staying On-Site* as you are used to at WDW.
The three Disney-owned hotels are vastly overpriced and are not what you would expect coming from the situation in Orlando.
Trust me when i say you do not need to *stay On Property* at DLR.
You also do not need the DLR Dining Plan as it is not really essential to a visit like it might be at WDW.

I have visited Disneyland three times in the past year and each visit i have stayed for a week off-site at a decent hotel a few minutes walking distance from the Parks.
That week in Anaheim was far less expensive then i would have paid for only 4 to 5 days staying On Property at WDW with everything included ( tix, meals, flight, etc. ).
Anaheim definitely gives me more *bang for my buck* then WDW these days.

There are dozens of fine and reasonable chain hotels within literal walking distance to the front gates of the Parks that fit every budget and need.
Wether you want to splurge and stay at a swag Hilton, or swing a mom & pop motel..Anaheim has something for everyone accommodation wise.

I highly recommend a visit to Disneyland , especially THIS year.
The 60th Anniversary Celebration is going to blow people away with the enticing line up of new entertainment, all-new Night Parade, all-new fireworks spectacle, and new ride enhancements being planned.
Add into the mix the assortment of already present stellar exclusive Attractions and a real quality in the presentation and DLR is where it is at this year.

Go for it !
:)
Can you tell me what off site hotels you would recommend? I went a few years ago and splurged at the Grand California and it put me in the hole for months afterwards.

Traver Freeman

Can you tell me what off site hotels you would recommend? I went a few years ago and splurged at the Grand California and it put me in the hole for months afterwards.

Personally, I've only stayed at two. We don't typically stay overnight and only go for one day being from San Diego. But the two times we did stay over for a few days we stayed at the Jolly Roger (no longer exists, I was shocked, just drove by the other day and it was demolished. It was by far the cheapest) and the Clarion which is on Convention Way about a mile from the park. It took 20 minutes to get to the park each morning and 20 minutes back at night, but we liked it. We got a 3rd night free through Get Away Today.

The key is to look at the hotel on a map and try to find something on Harbor Blvd

lazyboy97o

I am not saying there is any big advantage to staying on site in CA, but there is an "extra magic hour" in the morning that lets you in the park an hour before the crowds. The quality of the hotels would probably be in line with the moderates at WDW. The downtown Disney area is more or less connected to the 3 hotels. You would be paying a lot for some convenience.
Early entry is not exclusive to hotel guests. It is open to guests holding three day or more Park Hoppers on certain days, including those with the Southern California CityPass that includes Universal Studios Hollywood and SeaWorld San Diego for a small additional charge on top of the three day Park Hopper.

Unless you spend a lot of time at the hotels, there really is not much more at Walt Disney World than the Disneyland Resort. When counting attractions it's even or a slight edge to the Disneyland Resort. Part of why so much time is needed at Walt Disney World is the amount of time it takes to get from point to point. There are also plenty of other things within close proximity to the Disneyland Resort to even out those non-attraction differences in things to do.

flynnibus

Premium Member

There is such a range... its best if you define your criteria...

- Do you want to park a car (parking fees can be high)
- Is walking distance a requirement, or can you use ART?
- How important is the modern aspect of the hotel?
- How much do you need a hotel vs upgraded motel?
- How important is price?

The closest hotels are all the older hotels that have been upgraded over the years.. but they are at the end of the day... upgraded motels. They can charge a full rate because of their proximity to the gate. For many people they are willing to make the trade off.

If you want a more Holiday Inn++ experience, the Convention Center hotels offer your typical modern hotel at a reasonable distance (about 15min walk) or ride the ART. They can be had cheap on priceline but have steep parking fees if you have a car and don't do things like free breakfast, etc.

If you expand your range and are willing to ride the ART more.. there are a few more chain hotels that are on the fringe or beyond respectable walking distance.

Candy Cane Inn is always mentioned as a favorite by the fans.. but that is a updated motel. HoJo is another updated one that people like.. but it's location/price tradeoff is not the best IMO.

I'd advise using tripadvisor to see recent room photos and scan the reviews. Decide what's important for you.. location or hotel comfort.

While I have no problem walking from the convention center to the parks each day... the walking through town aspect did impact my wife's enjoyment of the parks compared to WDW. The utilitarian aspect of walking through town at the end of the night put a damper on things. Of course ART or taxis would change that.. but you get the idea :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom