Leota back to the Table and Ballroom Question

Thunder Fan

Original Poster
The past few weeks it seems Leota has moved back to the table - have they given up on the levitation?

Also are the two guys swinging on the chandelier gone? I noticed the one guy standing on the one side but the others seem to be missing...

mouse_luv

The past few weeks it seems Leota has moved back to the table - have they given up on the levitation?

Also are the two guys swinging on the chandelier gone? I noticed the one guy standing on the one side but the others seem to be missing...
It's glitchy sometimes Leota works, sometimes she doesn't, same thing with the spirits in the ballroom on the chandelier.

_ZJ

Leota was floating but stationary in December. At least they disabled the effect instead of letting it operate improperly.

As much as I like the new levitating version, it would be neat to see it resting on the table, for old time's sake.

GCTales

It was levitating appropriately in February. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually. Thankfully it is an effect that still works for the show when broken. I hear a guy from Maintenance showed up with a strobe and they said, "Stand down, Seth. Not necessary this time."
But, disco strobes make everything better... Just ask the yeti!!

Goofyernmost

It was levitating appropriately in February. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually. Thankfully it is an effect that still works for the show when broken. I hear a guy from Maintenance showed up with a strobe and they said, "Stand down, Seth. Not necessary this time."
I was there in February as well, and yes it was working properly then... about mid-February.

gibson12

I think the scene works better when she's on the table. When she looks from side to side, it's like she's trapped in there, which is creepier than her being free.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I like it when she floats, for then my MST3K lines in that room are:

"Why do you need ghoulies from last Halloween to play a tambourine for proof of the beyond? You're a disembodied head in a floating glass ball! Isn't that proof enough?"

"And why from last Halloween? Why not present day ones? Is this now a Sci-Fi time travel ride?"

"Are tambourines a ghoulie thing or a Halloween thing? I tend to associate them with gypsies more than ghoulies."

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think the scene works better when she's on the table. When she looks from side to side, it's like she's trapped in there, which is creepier than her being free.
I agree. Sometimes the simpler solution is better. I never really found the floating ball to be that effective. When one sees the illusion they instantly think "wires" which kinda spoils the levitation effect in the first place. I chalk it up to over-engineering and overthinking.

The floating ball illusion tarnishes the imagery of what a "crystal ball" is, how it looks and how it's used. Without context the "floating head in a ball" is just that and not the "crystal ball in a stand" classic apparatus of choice for fortune tellers. I feel like the illusion was more complete in it's original form where the only thing that floated was musical instruments.

If the intent was to "plus" the orginal effect one could argue that better lighting, wind, swirls of smoke or the entire table floating instead would yield a better story. Although If they ever decide to rework this scene, I would happily welcome a non-Floating Leota for old time sake.

Castle Cake Apologist

I agree. Sometimes the simpler solution is better. I never really found the floating ball to be that effective. When one sees the illusion they instantly think "wires" which kinda spoils the levitation effect in the first place. I chalk it up to over-engineering and overthinking.

The floating ball illusion tarnishes the imagery of what a "crystal ball" is, how it looks and how it's used. Without context the "floating head in a ball" is just that and not the "crystal ball in a stand" classic apparatus of choice for fortune tellers. I feel like the illusion was more complete in it's original form where the only thing that floated was musical instruments.

If the intent was to "plus" the orginal effect one could argue that better lighting, wind, swirls of smoke or the entire table floating instead would yield a better story. Although If they ever decide to rework this scene, I would happily welcome a non-Floating Leota for old time sake.

Not to mention that when it was designed, the entire scene was staged around the fact that the ball is on the table. When you enter, the chair is turned away from you and you hear a voice and can see that there's a crystal ball on the table. You assume that the voice is coming from a fortune teller sitting in the chair. You're not meant to realize that the voice is coming from inside the ball until you make your way around the table and see her from the front. By making her fly, you instantly see her the moment you enter the room and all of the brilliant WED-era staging is wasted.

Last edited:

PuertoRekinSam

"Are tambourines a ghoulie thing or a Halloween thing? I tend to associate them with gypsies more than ghoulies."

You need to go to you tube and look up "Anything can happen on Halloween" by Tim Curry. It's from an "excellent" 1980's children's movie called "the Worst Witch" that aired on HBO.... it was like a Disney Channel Originals movie, before the Disney channel was a thing.

Anyway, you need to sit through the whole thing, because Tim Curry, but also so you can hear the line:
"Has anyone seen my Tamborine? I might start playing 'Begin the Begin'"

Proving that Tamborines and Halloween have a long history

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom