LEGOLAND California broke ground on a second Hotel this week

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, business is good in Carlsbad... 250 rooms including 20 Suites.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-legoland-hotel-20170119-story.html

>>Business has been so robust at Legoland California’s first on-site hotel that the park started construction this week on a second. This one will have castle towers; rooms themed with knights, princesses and wizards; and a slide in the lobby.<<

>>The thinking behind the hotel project — as is the case with other theme park resort hotels — is that there are enough attractions at the park to justify more than a one-day visit. The design of the hotel not only extends the feel of the park, but also makes it more convenient for families to stay more than one day.<<

Good to see, now they need to look at getting better connections between Disneyland and Carlsbad. Gray Line Anaheim has stopped offering tours (They will still operate the Disneyland Express Airport Bus), and there is no good, easy way from the Oceanside and Carlsbad Train stations to the park. And with kids under 8, you can't take a Taxi/Uber/Lyft unless you bring your own car seats. Maybe get a deal with the NCTD (local transit district) to get a dedicated shuttle bus, similar to ART to meet at least the AMTRAK Trains.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Did you notice who got screwed in the article... the new Castle Hotel is being built on the former main MC (employees) parking lot, So Model Citizens are getting the same problems as the CM and Disney's new projects..... At least there is enough land nearby for more parking lots, unlike Anaheim....

Curious Constance

Oh no! There website is just showing airport shuttles!!!! I was on their site a month ago and they still showed all of the shuttles to other attractions. Great, I was planning on using them because we won't have a car.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Did Grayline stop offering tours to Universal and the San Diego zoo too???

Yes, they stopped at around the first of the year.

The main options from Anaheim in regards to tours is Starline Tours, but that currently means being bused first to Hollywood and then back to San Diego. and a small company like the Anaheim Tour Company. Starline should fix the need to go to Hollywood first soon (maybe already done) aka the Buses from Hollywood heading south of Anaheim will stop in Anaheim to pick up passengers. The Gray Line ending wasn't first known until mid-December, and still is not that well known, though the websites have been turned off.

https://starlinetours.com/tours-from-anaheim/

https://anaheimtourcompany.com/

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Hey, CC I can help give you the options, such as private tours and public transit (trains).

Where do you want to visit other than the Disneyland Resort during your Anaheim stay?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Uber strikes again.

Actually not really, the division was making money and was holding its ridership numbers.

The main issue was the ownership had changed, and the new owners, Greyhound (FirstGroup) wanted to drop the issue with tours, and focus on what they know best, offering transportation from point to point, and why they kept the Disneyland Express Airport Bus service.

But for someone new to come in and just buy the Transportation Center on Manchester near the Holiday Inn (Full Service version) and try to get a fleet of buses, etc... Too much capital and headaches. FirstGroup did try, but not very hard, based on my source on this matter

So we are looking at Starline Tours (which was also surprised by the news when they found out in December and with the holidays, just decided to put off adjusting things until now) to expand its Anaheim offerings and blending the Hollywood services, such as picking up buses that have left Hollywood straight to San Diego (using the fastest route the GPS live traffic said to take) to making a scheduled stop in Anaheim mid-route to pick up and drop off passengers. The additions will be phased in, as Starline will need more buses and drivers. Hopefully by this summer we shall see the full expansion and what they will offer.

The Anaheim Tour Company has been a niche player in the market, but has been running things like the Cabazon Outlet Shuttle bus for a few years in conjunction with the Desert Hills Outlet owners. and a few other tours.

One key point, many foreign visitors and not famliar with Uber/Lyft, and travel agents want to deal with a company to book tours. Also the Car/Booster seat rules in California, which Uber/Lyft don't provide, so getting a commercial "bus" that is Car Seat exempt is important to these companies.

So I can see some more "small" players offering tours with vehicles large enough to be Car Seat Exempt (Think the small ART Shuttle Bus, aka the "Short Bus" (insert your own joke here...).

But at least with Public Transit (aka AMTRAK/Metrolink Trains) you can get to Universal Studios, LEGOLAND, SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo. The current LA Metro Route 460 bus is great for Buena Park and Knott's, Dinner Theaters, etc.(runs every 30 minutes from around 5 AM to Midnight 7 days a week, and takes about 20 minutes in travel time (limited stops in OC).

The Citadel Outlets runs its own private shuttle multiple times a day with about 5 stops in Anaheim.

The South Coast Plaza switched to the ART service, which is really lame for the "Costa Mesa" line.

Harder to get to, places like Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Long Beach. the Anaheim Tour Company has one tour that helps, but could use more players going to more destinations straight from Anaheim with limited stops.

Curious Constance

Thanks Darkbeer, I was checking out your links to Star lines and Anaheim tours and they seem comparable to Grayline. But any other ideas you have would be appreciated.

We are surprising our kids with this trip, so the addition of Universal and the San Diego zoo are essential. My daughter has been wanting to see real panda bears her whole life and, my son is a huge Harry Potter fan. We will be going in June, and I was wanting to do one day at each of those and then the rest of the days at Disney. We will be staying close on Harbor.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Thanks Darkbeer, I was checking out your links to Star lines and Anaheim tours and they seem comparable to Grayline. But any other ideas you have would be appreciated.

We are surprising our kids with this trip, so the addition of Universal and the San Diego zoo are essential. My daughter has been wanting to see real panda bears her whole life and, my son is a huge Harry Potter fan. We will be going in June, and I was wanting to do one day at each of those and then the rest of the days at Disney. We will be staying close on Harbor.

Happy to help. first off, not sure of your kids (or should I say your brothers and sisters, since you are so young...) ages and will they need car/booster seats.

Universal I would use Starline, Anaheim Tour Company or public transit. Still waking up, and just got some happy pills, so sorry of the disjointed thoughts...

Let me first stay Starline (ST) is a BIG player in the Southland, and its main bus depot at the corner of Hollywood and Highland, and tried to expand in Anaheim a few years ago, but failed against Gray Line, as the Travel Agencies and Tour booking folks (aka Third Party websites) stuck with Gray Line.

The Anaheim Tour Company has been around for quite a long time to, at one point had offices on Katella and tried to do things like compete with Discount Tickets in that market, and has settled to a web based operation with the main offices at home. Tom, the owner is a good guy, and knows who I am. I bring this up for a couple of reasons now, first, you might get a discount if you use the same companies for all your tours, and since The Anaheim Tour Company (ATC) is much smaller, more flexible in scheduling.

So getting back to Universal, ST has a fixed schedule and won't get you to the park at opening, and depending on how much you want to get done, and which type of admission you purchase (One day GA, Two Day GA, FOTL or VIP) you might need to get there earlier than Starline will drop you off at. ATC can do earlier tours, and of course, using the train can get you there at whatever time you want to arrive at.

As for LEGOLAND and the San Diego Zoo (SDZ), use ST if car seats are needed, as it would be door to door service, AMTRAK works in combination of the San Diego Trolley light rail system and a bus to the SDZ.

As for things close by, just use the combination of the ART system and the OCTA buses (A day/multi-day Pass with one works on the other), and the LA Metro Route 460 Bus to Buena Park for Knott's and the Dinner Theaters ($1.75 each way, exact cash needed in most boarding doing it as the Anaheim to Buena Park shuttle, other options are there, but you need to buy extra things, etc...)

OK, had to stop mid-stream due to my Surgeon coming in my room to check on me... All is going well, but still need to rip a good one before they can take the next step. Now back to answering the questions.

And I think I got the basic answers covered. Please feel free to ask more, and if you make a decision, I can give more detailed info for using things like Public Transit.....

Have a great weekend

NobodyElse

San Diego Zoo is do-able via Amtrak plus what looks like bus route 215. Between the Zoo, any museums in Balboa Park, and various shops and eateries back by the train station (or red trolley close) you'll have a full San Diego day if you wish.

Legoland from Anaheim is a little trickier. There's a Carlsbad/Pointsettia station, but it's primarily for the Coaster (San Diego county's equivalent to Metrolink, which would require a transfer in Oceanside). Amtrak does stop there a couple of times in the morning and evening, but it's only specific trains. There are a couple of bus options from the station to Legoland. I may have to do a little more research to come up with your best option (depending on weather there's a pedestrian short-cut into their parking lot where I think there might be).

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
The San Diego Zoo I can do off the top of my head (Native San Diegan), AMTRAK to the Santa Fe Station, take the San Diego Trolley a few stops east to the City College station, and then take MTS Bus 7. This offers the most time choices, and fairly quick and easy.

As for LEGOLAND, take either the AMTRAK or Metrolink to Oceanside and use a taxi/uber/lyft to the Resort. (I went to high school in Carlsbad (Army and Navy Academy). There is no pedestrian shortcut to the resort. You would walk from the main parking entrance from the street along a special separated sidewalk that runs along side the roadway to the toll booths. That is why I recommended the ST option for door to door service for LEGOLAND.

NobodyElse

The San Diego Zoo I can do off the top of my head (Native San Diegan), AMTRAK to the Santa Fe Station, take the San Diego Trolley a few stops east to the City College station, and then take MTS Bus 7. This offers the most time choices, and fairly quick and easy.

As for LEGOLAND, take either the AMTRAK or Metrolink to Oceanside and use a taxi/uber/lyft to the Resort. (I went to high school in Carlsbad (Army and Navy Academy). There is no pedestrian shortcut to the resort. You would walk from the main parking entrance from the street along a special separated sidewalk that runs along side the roadway to the toll booths. That is why I recommended the ST option for door to door service for LEGOLAND.

The potential "short-cut" I was thinking of had to do with this area:
upload_2017-1-20_8-48-47.png

...and involves this little gate: (obscured by the tree, but showing the path and crosswalk)
upload_2017-1-20_8-51-48.png

It would only help if you could get off a bus somewhere on Armada between Palomar Airport road and the Karl Strauss area.

It sounds like the ST option would be the best nonetheless.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
The potential "short-cut" I was thinking of had to do with this area:
View attachment 185303

...and involves this little gate: (obscured by the tree, but showing the path and crosswalk)
View attachment 185304

It would only help if you could get off a bus somewhere on Armada between Palomar Airport road and the Karl Strauss area.

It sounds like the ST option would be the best nonetheless.

I have used that gate, alas, the bus stop is next to the main driveway and sidewalk. And the coordination of the bus to the trains is awful. A few years ago, the last bus to meet the COASTER failed to make it on time, and then NCTD had to run a special bus to take the folks to the COASTER stops they want to go to. But if car/booster seats are needed, it gets hard to use all Public Transit to LEGOLAND, and why my 1st post mentioned the issues...

As an afterthought, without car seats, we have to look at the AMTRAK, Metrolink and COASTER options. The Metrolink commuter train last southbound stop is Oceanside, the San Diego COASTER commuter train last north bound stop is Oceanside, and at one time they were designed to have about the same schedule so you could get off one and board the other. But the two Transit Agencies don't get along. Metrolink tired to get extended trains to Solana beach during peak Del Mar Racing seating, and ended up having to pay a lot of money to NCTD to get those rights, which put the service out of reasonable price range. But the benefit of using COASTER and Metrolink is the lower price points as commuter fare, as compared to AMTRAK, which charges more, but offers more, including checked luggage at some station stops, free Wi-Fi (Rode AMTRAK on Sunday and it was spotty) and the Cafe Car for food and drink, plus the option for Business Class). And to add to the confusion, NCTD and AMTRAK made a deal to allow COASTER ticket holders onto some AMTRAK trains, mainly in the evening, and to stop at the COASTER stations. AMTRAK picked the trains that aren't rush/express service, and also placed restrictions on certain days such as Holidays and peak Del Mar Racing Season to not allow COASTER tickets on those days. (The COASTER folks are directed to use the NCTD Breeze Route 101 bus that run the Coast Highway). So that is why I mentioned if NCTD and LEGOLAND could set up some sort of hourly service from Oceanside to allow all three train service customers go directly from the station to both the LEGOLAND Parks and an extra stop at the Hotels, and stopping inside the park, similar to what MTS Route 9 bus does with the SeaWorld parking lot and having the bus stop near the front gate. But this would allow at least folks with kids not to need car/booster seats, and take their own luggage on board and only need a short walk to check in the luggage at LEGOLAND.

Gee, this post got lengthy.....

Curious Constance

Happy to help. first off, not sure of your kids (or should I say your brothers and sisters, since you are so young...) ages and will they need car/booster seats.

Universal I would use Starline, Anaheim Tour Company or public transit. Still waking up, and just got some happy pills, so sorry of the disjointed thoughts...

Let me first stay Starline (ST) is a BIG player in the Southland, and its main bus depot at the corner of Hollywood and Highland, and tried to expand in Anaheim a few years ago, but failed against Gray Line, as the Travel Agencies and Tour booking folks (aka Third Party websites) stuck with Gray Line.

The Anaheim Tour Company has been around for quite a long time to, at one point had offices on Katella and tried to do things like compete with Discount Tickets in that market, and has settled to a web based operation with the main offices at home. Tom, the owner is a good guy, and knows who I am. I bring this up for a couple of reasons now, first, you might get a discount if you use the same companies for all your tours, and since The Anaheim Tour Company (ATC) is much smaller, more flexible in scheduling.

So getting back to Universal, ST has a fixed schedule and won't get you to the park at opening, and depending on how much you want to get done, and which type of admission you purchase (One day GA, Two Day GA, FOTL or VIP) you might need to get there earlier than Starline will drop you off at. ATC can do earlier tours, and of course, using the train can get you there at whatever time you want to arrive at.

As for LEGOLAND and the San Diego Zoo (SDZ), use ST if car seats are needed, as it would be door to door service, AMTRAK works in combination of the San Diego Trolley light rail system and a bus to the SDZ.

As for things close by, just use the combination of the ART system and the OCTA buses (A day/multi-day Pass with one works on the other), and the LA Metro Route 460 Bus to Buena Park for Knott's and the Dinner Theaters ($1.75 each way, exact cash needed in most boarding doing it as the Anaheim to Buena Park shuttle, other options are there, but you need to buy extra things, etc...)

OK, had to stop mid-stream due to my Surgeon coming in my room to check on me... All is going well, but still need to rip a good one before they can take the next step. Now back to answering the questions.

And I think I got the basic answers covered. Please feel free to ask more, and if you make a decision, I can give more detailed info for using things like Public Transit.....

Have a great weekend

My "Kids" will not need booster seats. So that's not a concern.

We're not planning on LEGOLAND, just Universal and San Diego Zoo this time.

Do you think it will be necessary to get at Universal at opening? Our main reason for going is Harry Potter. And I'm not going to shell out the extra cash for Front of the line passes, so we'll just have one day tickets.

How much after opening does Starline get you there? We'll probably go on a Sunday or Monday.

yookeroo

Public transportation to Universal is pretty easy. Amtrak or Metrolink (much cheaper) to Union Station. Then the Red Line (subway) to the end? It may be one stop before the end. Then I think Universal has a shuttle to take you up the hill.

yookeroo

Public transportation to Universal is pretty easy. Amtrak or Metrolink (much cheaper) to Union Station. Then the Red Line (subway) to the end? It may be one stop before the end. Then I think Universal has a shuttle to take you up the hill.

Oh, and Union Station is quite beautiful. Art Deco. Olvera street is right there (where Los Angeles was born-). Have a taquito. Although if you're going to Uni, you probably won't have time.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
As for Universal, yes I would be there at opening, and order the one-day ticket online, your date might get you a discount, similar to Disneyland Surge Pricing for single day tickets. And you get early entry, so even better. But that does require you to be near the Main Entrance Plaza about 30 Minutes early to go through security (nicer, more efficient and detailed than Disneyland).

So lets say you are going on a weekday and the park has a 9 AM opening, so 8 AM EE, and 7:30 arrival.

Going backwards, that means a 7 AM arrival at the Universal City Metro station, to allow you to exit the station, and get up the hill, hopefully by tram, though you might need to walk. so catching the Red Line Subway at Union Station by 6:30 AM, So that means catching the Metrolink Orange Line train #601 from Fullerton that leaves at 5:59 AM, so say a 5:45 AM arrival to buy tickets from the automated machines next to the elevator shaft (no need for it normally, Track 1 goes towards LA, when you return, you should exit onto Track 3's platform, and then need the bridge to cross the tracks. That means you need to be at an OCTA Bus Stop on Harbor by 5:15 if you are staying on Katella or north of it. Catch the 43 bus northbound to the train station.

Seems early, but if you were driving, I would say to leave about the same time, to deal with the time to park and then walk to the security check area.

Alas, no way that ST would do it that early, ATC might do it, or know someone who would. Also, you could look at Uber/Lyft, and they have been in the $60 to $80 each way lately (from Trip reports), still would want to leave around 5:30 to 5:45 to make sure you were dropped off at the Security check by 7:30 AM.

Curious Constance

So one problem is it looks like if I used StarTours or Anaheim Tour they don't have a transportation only option? Which wouldn't allow us to buy our tickets through Universal's website direct.

I'm not that concerned with being there at park opening. There isn't really that much that's a must do for us. Here is my must do list:

Harry Potter (not concerned about the Hippogriff roller coaster)
Walking Dead (If I can get the courage up) BTW, does anyone know if this is kid friendly?
Studio Tour
Transformers
Jurassic Park

Anything else I can take or leave. So if we ended up getting there at like 10am, do you think that's doable? Are lines usually very long at Universal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom