Legacy Reviews- Hide and Seek

Legacy

Original Poster
Why are little girls so creepy? I mean, in suspense movies children are creepy in general but why do little girls seem more so? Are people just naturally afraid of children? Is it some sub-conscious thing? Am I thinking too much into this? Most likely. <i>Hide and Seek</i> continues the lovely tradition of using a creepy girl to freak you out. More disturbingly is the fact that this little girl is Dakota Fanning, the perfect pip-squeak from <i>The Cat in the Hat</i>. And trust me, the girl is scary.

Following the sudden suicide of his wife, psychiatrist David Calloway (Robert De Niro) moves himself and daughter Emily (Fanning) to upstate New York in order for Emily to “get a fresh start,” much to the chagrin of friend, Katherine (Famke Janssen). However things start simple enough, except for Emily’s sudden affliction to a new friend, Charlie. In order to circumvent his daughter’s further seclusion, David seeks the assistance of local Elizabeth (Elisabeth Shue) for companionship. “Charlie” doesn’t like this and suddenly things start getting crazy.

Sadly, the film is very predictable. So predictable, I can’t mention the most recent comparable movie without giving away who Charlie is. For the casual theater-goer this may not be too much of a hang-up, but it does take a bit away from the film. It really just takes some paying attention in order to figure it out.

But predictability aside, Dakota Fanning is simply amazing. She shows a depth of character that is almost unreal for an actress of her age. She appears ten years older, especially with subtle smiles and mysterious eyes. The make-up helps too, giving her a stare like she hasn’t slept in months. De Niro does a decent job as well, although much too subdued through most of it. The supporting cast is really just there for victims and red herrings.

Director John Polson does a grand job of keeping us in suspense. Also, he keeps us second guessing every motive of every character. Luckily, brief flashbacks keep you interested after you realize who “Charlie” is. Long hallways, dark basements, and unsettling music combine to create a truly suspenseful film.

It’s just too predictable.

That one big gripe aside, it’s a really good film. See it just to watch Dakota Fanning in one of the most tortured characters on screen in a while. It really becomes kind of heart-breaking once you realize what is happening. But I can't really say you would be missing anything special unless you feel like being freaked out for two hours.

3 OUT OF FOUR STARS

Overall Summary- Um… creepy but predictable. Dakota Fanning is great, De Niro is okay. Johnny Depp does a much better job in the role.

Christina

Thanks for the review - me and Tanner are going to see it tonight! :sohappy:

Dakota Fanning was really good in Man on Fire and I adore Robert DiNero so it confuzzles me that he's not supposed to be playing good... and of COURSE Johnny would do it better. It's Johnny!

tigsmom

This is on my list to see. I first saw Dakota Fanning in a very early CSI and knew she was destined for big things. She is very good and has the most expressive face.

Thanks for the review.
fing02.gif

imagineer boy

I think I'll wait till this one comes out on DVD, but it sounds interesting. I can see a good future for Dakota Fanning. I can imagine her being in some sort of Exorcist remake.

Thanks for the review Legacy! :wave:

no2apprentice

Legacy said:
Why are little girls so creepy? I mean, in suspense movies children are creepy in general but why do little girls seem more so? Are people just naturally afraid of children? Is it some sub-conscious thing? Am I thinking too much into this?
Nah. It's a very good topic. Kids are supposed to be cute, fun, and innocent. More so for girls than boys. When we see something portrayed against this expectation, we squirm. Makes for great horror and suspense.

Nice review. I think we'll wait for DVD on this one. Everybody's more interested in Constantine. Except my wife! :eek: :)

DDuckFan130

Good review...and yes Johnny is better in that role :D. But I would watch the movie for Dakota Fanning. I loved her in "I am Sam."

Legacy

Original Poster
no2apprentice said:
Nah. It's a very good topic. Kids are supposed to be cute, fun, and innocent. More so for girls than boys. When we see something portrayed against this expectation, we squirm. Makes for great horror and suspense.

Nice review. I think we'll wait for DVD on this one. Everybody's more interested in Constantine. Except my wife! :eek: :)
I can't wait for Constantine. I'm a big fan of angel vs demon stories. I really like Bless The Child.

no2apprentice

Legacy said:
I can't wait for Constantine. I'm a big fan of angel vs demon stories. I really like Bless The Child.
My wife and I really enjoyed that one. I thought the CGI could have been cleaner, but they probably did as much as they could with the budget.

My wife is not interested in Constantine. There are some movies that deal with the supernatural that make her feel uncomfortable. I've learned not to try to change her mind (once again, keeping the queen happy is a good thing). :lol:

So, she goes shopping while the boys and I see Constantine. :sohappy:

Legacy

Original Poster
no2apprentice said:
My wife and I really enjoyed that one. I thought the CGI could have been cleaner, but they probably did as much as they could with the budget.

My wife is not interested in Constantine. There are some movies that deal with the supernatural that make her feel uncomfortable. I've learned not to try to change her mind (once again, keeping the queen happy is a good thing). :lol:

So, she goes shopping while the boys and I see Constantine. :sohappy:
Agree on the CGI. But the story and concepts were really strong.

Did you see The Order?

no2apprentice

No. I barely remember the trailer. Is it any good? Trailer's can not always give a good indication of the film (reference, Treasure Planet....but that's another thread :D ).

Legacy

Original Poster
no2apprentice said:
No. I barely remember the trailer. Is it any good? Trailer's can not always give a good indication of the film (reference, Treasure Planet....but that's another thread :D ).
It's obscenely film noir. But the story is at least entertaining. The film just takes itself too seriously in places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom