Pre-Trip Leaving our new baby girl behind...

Hello everyone! I recently finished my TR for our December trip of 2014 and it was such a blast to write it and interact with everybody who participated that Ive decided to write my first Pre-Trip Report! We are also bursting with anticipation so writing a Pre TR just may help us stay calm, but I doubt it.

(For anyone who would like to read my last report, here is a link, http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/our-bwv-holiday-tr.899325/ )

So whats up with this thread title? Is there a bun in the oven? Will we soon be hearing the pitter patter of little feet? Is the stork circling our neighborhood..... Do we have a baby on the way?????? Ummmmm.....no, haha. So dont worry, this trip will feature even more booze and food than our December trip.

We are however bringing home our new baby girl puppy in 7 weeks! We recently decided to add a new member to our private Animal Kingdom, a beautiful female Dutch Shepherd / Belgian Malinois mix. We are VERY VERY excited as this particular breed is absolutely AMAZING. I have a friend who is a professional trainer for K9 and sporting dogs and we are going for the full monty with her training! So while we are excited, the timing of our trip will mean leaving her with my parents only a few weeks after bringing her home. She will be in excellent hands but we will be sad to leave her. The silver lining is that we wont get sad on the last day of our trip because we know we will be going home to our new pup. For now, we are compiling a long list of possible names and most are based on Game of Thrones and/or Disney. The front runners as of now are, Sansa, Daeneryus and Boma.

We have a 14 year old american bull terrier (aka pitbull, but I dont like that term). His name is Brolly and he is the most gentle and sweet, but extremely protective dog. My work occasionally has me out late for certain events and I dont return home until 4 or 5 am some nights. I have never worried about my wife being home alone because he is there with her. His hearing has recently started to go and he often gets tired early in the day. He has done an amazing job being a protector of the home but its time for him to enjoy his golden years and oversee the training of our new puppy. He is still very active and we know he will be excited to have a new playmate to show the ropes too. Here is a quick rundown of our private Animal Kingdom:

B_snow.jpg
Brolly

As big and tough as Brolly is, the matriarch of the house is our eldest cat, Chloe. My wife allows her to get away with any and everything.
883.jpg

Making a cameo in the background is the baby of the house, Ruxin. Ya, we let them on the counter but we keep the Lysol wipes handy and constantly wipe it down so dont freak out. ALL of our animals eat a raw diet (yes, raw uncooked chicken and meat with bones) which among other benefits really helps with shedding.

The exotic animal section of our home features our two lovely parrots, Caesar and Cappy:

20150510_144900.jpg

Caesar is a Double Yellow Headed Amazon and he is 31 years old and yes he talks, but he has an uncanny laugh that sounds very human. My Mom got him in Mexico when I was very young. She would often yell for my father if he was outside or in the other room and to this day Caesar still mimics her and will yell out, "PAUL!!!!"

20150718_161007.jpg

Cappy is a Bare Eyed Cockatoo. He is appx 20 years old. We rescued him and the rescue shelter wasnt sure of his exact age. He is EXTREMELY talkative and has a vocabulary of about 20 words and can say full sentences and he is still learning new stuff. He is also very intelligent. We dont even keep his cage door shut because he just picks the lock anyway. His latest thing is making zombie noises when we watch The Walking Dead. If a Zombie moans or grunts, he chimes right in and is very good at zombie impersonations. It is a bit creepy though when he does it for no reason at all in the middle of the night. He also does the old Budweiser commercial with the frogs saying "Whats Up" over and over in different tones. He is very funny and we are soooo glad we brought him into our home.

The reason I bring up our animals is because our Disney trips often rely on having our family help out with our animals while we are gone. We are blessed to have such wonderful family members who help care for our furry family while we are gone. Ok, so now that your familiar with our animals, maybe I can get back to actually talking about our Disney trip.

So, for those of who you read my last report, you may remember that I surprised my wife on our last day by upgrading our tickets to AP's and we started planning a trip for the 2015 Food and Wine Festival. Well here we are several (long) months later and so far we have 5 days booked at Yacht Club (our favorite resort) for late October and we are going to add 2-3 additional days but havent decided if we want AKL or perhaps try something new like Port Orleans Riverside to scratch it off our list of resorts we havent stayed at. Either way, we will start with the 3 days at AKL or POR and then hop over to YC for the final 5 days and begin our shameless free fall into more food and booze than the human body should be allowed to consume.

Our trip will coincide with the anniversary of the day I proposed at WDW many moons ago in front of Cinderella Castle. I want to recreate the entire day as much as possible. It was a fairly laid back day with the exception of my nervousness going into the MK for the proposal but the CM's at MK were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and they helped me pull off a great surprise with the proposal. I totally thought she knew what was going on, but the CM's pulled out all the stops and she never saw it coming. My original plan had to be aborted last minute due to a refurb at the HM and I was in panic mode at the concierge desk at GF trying to figure out what to do, but the wonderful ladies there sat me down and we went over options and came up with a great idea that worked out better than I could have ever imagined. I'll get to that story later with the details of recreating the day. Its a great story with some really crazy twists and turns of events unfolding and of course,...me drinking a little too much which made a particular incident really funny.

The full cast of this trip is still somewhat up in the air. My sister and her boys have AP's as well and they are trying to squeeze in a few days to join us. Her sons (my nephews) are growing up so fast and I am hoping to get a few more Disney trips in with them before they hit that phase where they are too cool for Disney. I always have a blast with these two boys and my sister.

IMG_3611.JPG

Me with my two nephews

IMG_3610.JPG

My sister and her boys

And if they join us, my bothers youngest son, who is 2, may come along as well. Here is a pic of him with my wife, who will obviously be there too.

camchencrop.jpg

My wife and I have not yet been Disney with our youngest nephew so it will be a real treat to enjoy some time with him and see the amazement in his eyes, not only of the parks, but of his stumbling drunken Uncle trying to stay upright at the end of the day.

Hopefully they will all join us and the trip will be even more fun! My wife and I have a much slower park touring pace than they do so whenever we all go we together we split up on certain days for awhile and meet back up later in the day for lunch or diner. Poly was always their favorite resort but They have recently fallen in love with the Boardwalk Resorts so if they join us, they will most likely book YC or BC and be close to us.

As far as anything specific goes, we have only made one ADR so far and that is for Biergarten on the day we check in at YC which will technically be day 4 of the trip. Seems a bit like overkill on food seeing how Food and Wine will be happening but we love our Biergarten and as I mentioned earlier, we will have no shame and we will eat until we cant eat anymore, then we will probly drink and eat some more.

I get the feeling we will book AKL for our first 3 days simply because we love it there and it will allow us to start the trip off nice and easy. We especially love the Victoria Falls Lounge at AKL. Its not themed too heavy in any way, but it is a very relaxing spot to have a drink and appetizers with great ambiance and the smells wafting up fro Boma and Jiko dont hurt either. Its usually pretty easy to get a spot at Boma so if we decide to hit it up it will be a "day of" decision. We love the Mara as well. The food isnt anything to write home about but my wife and I both agree they have the best chicken tenders on property. Im sure they are prepared the exact same as everywhere else, but for some reason we like them there the best... And did I mention Zebra Domes?!!!! Yummmmm!!!

Well, thats it for today. Im gonna dig through my old memory cards and find some photos of our trip when I proposed to her and I will get more into the details of recreating that day and post it tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for reading! Have a great Saturday everybody!

Last edited:

SW_matt

[QUOTE="wdisney9000, post: 6805168, member: 79821"
The full cast of this trip is still somewhat up in the air. My sister and her boys have AP's as well and they are trying to squeeze in a few days to join us. Her sons (my nephews) are growing up so fast and I am hoping to get a few more Disney trips in with them before they hit that phase where they are too cool for Disney. I always have a blast with these two boys and my sister.

[/QUOTE]

Never heard of it. 21 years old and still unashamed :p

sheriffwoody

Forgot to post a picture of Chipper yesterday! Here's my pride and joy
10838249_10202967083727138_5291963105263803701_o_zpsclt0y8dz.jpg

I am lucky to have such a tolerant dog, because I'm constantly petting and loving on him. He's my buddy! He also eats everything he possibly can, including a few pairs of underwear and so many socks I've lost count. He doesn't chew them...he just swallows them whole and pukes them up later. It scares me to death, so I don't keep any clothes within his reach. He still somehow finds them occasionally.

So there's my little guy :D

catmom46

Here are our 2 dogs, although this pic is several years old now, but it's one of my favorites - they were just groomed and the groomer had put the bandanas on them. Harlow on the left (she's part pit and actually looks kinda like Brolly now as she has more white on her muzzle) and Zocko on the right (those were their names when we adopted them). We also have 5 cats, but I don't have a pic with all of them together. :cat:

Picture 466.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are our 2 dogs, although this pic is several years old now, but it's one of my favorites - they were just groomed and the groomer had put the bandanas on them. Harlow on the left (she's part pit and actually looks kinda like Brolly now as she has more white on her muzzle) and Zocko on the right (those were their names when we adopted them). We also have 5 cats, but I don't have a pic with all of them together. :cat:

View attachment 102846
They are beautiful. Ya, Harlow does resemble Brolly. Love the name Zocko too. You gotta upload some pics of your cats! Dont leave em out!:cat:

catmom46

They are beautiful. Ya, Harlow does resemble Brolly. Love the name Zocko too. You gotta upload some pics of your cats! Dont leave em out!:cat:

Yeah, Zocko was named by his previous owner's 2-year-old son - apparently everything was zocko this and zocko that at the time. :p

OK, since you asked, here's a pic of 1 kitty that I think you'll enjoy (for obvious reasons). This is Bootsie in all her glory:

20150315_231136.jpg

Chernaboggles

What fun pictures in this thread! I think it'll be great for your puppy to have a stay with other loving caretakers at a young age. It'll probably make it easier to travel later on. So nice that your family is willing and able to help with the pets!

We have 3 cats (Kira, age 6; Hobbes, age 13; and Rose, age 20). We also have a 3 year old Labrador named Joules. We hire a sitter to look after the kitties, and a couple of good friends stop by regularly to provide cuddles to the eldest, since the other two dislike strangers. We usually bring the dog with us (we rent a pet-friendly townhouse and there's a great dog park in the area).

We did leave him once with my parents on the occasion of our 10th wedding anniversary last year. It was the first time we'd left him overnight (he was 2 years old by then, oops!) and I was a nervous wreck, but it worked out perfectly fine. My folks enjoyed having a Grand-pet to play with, and he settled happily into his routine at their house with no signs of separation anxiety. They sent us lots of fun pictures, which made it easier for us to enjoy our Disney time without worrying about him.

This pic turned up in my email on the last day of our trip and is my favorite:

DownWithMickey.jpg

We have 2 more Disney trips coming up (October, January) and the dog will be along on both. We just finished installing some cameras upstairs, supposedly for security but also so we can spy on the cats while we're away. ;)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, Zocko was named by his previous owner's 2-year-old son - apparently everything was zocko this and zocko that at the time. :p

OK, since you asked, here's a pic of 1 kitty that I think you'll enjoy (for obvious reasons). This is Bootsie in all her glory:

View attachment 102878
And here's one with 3 of them (Calvin is in front and Hobbes up top):

View attachment 102879

Those are great! We put beer bottles by our cats and take pics too! Thats hilarious

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
What fun pictures in this thread! I think it'll be great for your puppy to have a stay with other loving caretakers at a young age. It'll probably make it easier to travel later on. So nice that your family is willing and able to help with the pets!

We have 3 cats (Kira, age 6; Hobbes, age 13; and Rose, age 20). We also have a 3 year old Labrador named Joules. We hire a sitter to look after the kitties, and a couple of good friends stop by regularly to provide cuddles to the eldest, since the other two dislike strangers. We usually bring the dog with us (we rent a pet-friendly townhouse and there's a great dog park in the area).

We did leave him once with my parents on the occasion of our 10th wedding anniversary last year. It was the first time we'd left him overnight (he was 2 years old by then, oops!) and I was a nervous wreck, but it worked out perfectly fine. My folks enjoyed having a Grand-pet to play with, and he settled happily into his routine at their house with no signs of separation anxiety. They sent us lots of fun pictures, which made it easier for us to enjoy our Disney time without worrying about him.

This pic turned up in my email on the last day of our trip and is my favorite:

View attachment 102884

We have 2 more Disney trips coming up (October, January) and the dog will be along on both. We just finished installing some cameras upstairs, supposedly for security but also so we can spy on the cats while we're away. ;)

That is amazing that Rose is 20 years old! WOW. Joules is beautiful as well. My wife had a yellow lab mix years ago. They are such great animals. We also use the phrase "grand pet" when our dog stays with my parents. They spoil him rotten and he is often reluctant to get in the car when we pick him up lol. My Dad is excited about us getting a Dutch shepherd because when he was in Vietnam his group found a shepherd puppy and kept him. The dog went everywhere with them as they moved around the country during the war.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok... so back to my Pre Trip report / proposal trip recap....

When we last left off I had overcome several obstacles and pulled off the proposal after having to change plans last minute and propose a few days earlier than planned. My family would arrive the next day and her mother and family members were arriving the day after that. Original plan was for all of them to be there for the proposal but with the last minute changes that was obviously not going to happen now. As I mentioned earlier, her Mom had expressed to me that she would kill me if she wasnt there for the proposal. This had been in my mind the whole time after I decided to propose the first day. I had too much to deal with though to worry about it. Now that it was done, I needed to figure out what I would do. I did have a few ideas bounce around in my head during the day and I knew I could manage to figure out something.

So everything goes great for the proposal at the castle. We took some time to thank all the amazing CM's who did a wonderful job in helping me make this a memorable moment that we will always cherish. I was famished from all the stress of planning and worrying and needed to eat. We wanted to ride Haunted Mansion to celebrate our first ride as a newly engaged couple and decided that Columbia Harbor House would be a great place for our first meal as well. As we walked over towards Liberty Square I told he all about the crazy day I had been through and my original plan of the HM proposal. She laughed as I explained the story and she now understood why I was so panicky about my suitcase. As we ate lunch I brought up the subject of her mother and the proposal. I dont even think it registered with her because she was just in a complete daze and staring at her ring. I got her to snap out of it long enough to understand the pickle I had put myself in. She was so happy that she did not care. She just said her mom would have to deal with it. LOL,... easy for her to say. I told her I had an idea and I pitched my plan to her to see what she thought.....

Her Mom said she wanted to see the proposal..., so a proposal she shall get. As crazy as it seemed, I had the idea that we could do a second proposal when her Mom arrived and she would never be the wiser. I know that sounds crazy, but I really did want her Mom to be able to enjoy the moment as this is her only child and they are very close. I knew it would mean a lot to her. My wife was still riding the high of the moment and was down with the plan because she would get to do it all over again, lol. I told her I would handle the details and she would just have to play along. She agreed and went back to staring at her ring.

We had a great lunch and then rode HM followed by all the other usual suspects, POTC, BTMRR and Pan on our way out of the park. We headed back to GF to get ready for diner. The original pan had us eating diner at Cali Grille and the meal was timed to be during Wishes. The great ladies at GF concierge managed to switch my reservation to the current day so all was well. When we returned to the room my wife got ready as I went back to concierge to thank the ladies for everything and then hit them with my new plan for a second proposal and to once again enlist them as agents in my plan. I feared I was asking too much of them but they were all excited to plan another one. And since this one wasnt in a rush we had some time to plan a nice easy proposal. I didnt want to go to any extremes with the second one so we came up with an easy, but still fun, second proposal. We had Chef Mickeys booked for a big family diner in a few days so we planned to do it then. The final plan was to have all the characters in on it. Mickey would come over and hold his hand out asking my wife to dance with him. As they danced, he would spin around with her and I would drop to propose as they were facing away..., then they would turn around and the other characters would all come over and join in as I proposed. As we planned it, I couldnt help but think this was even better than the castle idea, lol. So....the plan was set and we headed off to diner at Cali Grille. It was amazing. They gave us the entire private dining area in the back section all to ourselves which overlooks Bay Lake and we could see the Electrical Water Pageant floats heading to Seven Seas Lagoon. We took our wine out on the balcony to watch Wishes after diner as well. It was a perfect night!

So, that is the entire day that I want to recreate on our upcoming trip. Afternoon at MK and take pics in front of castle then Lunch at Harbor House, ride the same rides, then over to Cali Grill for diner I will still post pics from the proposal but Im waiting on my wife to dig out the album. We keep it stashed away because to this day her Mom still does not know about the first proposal and she comes over often so we have that photo album buried deep. I will also post the pics from the Chef Mickeys proposal as well. That day has a really funny story and Ill give the details when I post the pics. Im thinking about recreating that day as well if my sister and her boys join us for the trip. Thanks everybody for reading along and I apologize for the lack of pictures so far. I did however get some pics of the puppies, so....enjoy:

pups.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
How you ever came up with the idea for a second proposal, was just a riot! I sat here reading your latest post, laughing, and thinking to myself that you just can't make up this stuff. "Real" life situations are hilarious. I must say you are very resourceful, and very kind to think of your mother-in-law's joy, at witnessing (what she thought . . .) was THE proposal to her daughter! :p

The cast members were really wonderful to you through both proposals. ;) They really extended the Disney magic to you and your wife.

Now about those puppies--they are growing up quickly! :) Are you still trying to pick out your favorite, or is it impossible??!! :D

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
How you ever came up with the idea for a second proposal, was just a riot! I sat here reading your latest post, laughing, and thinking to myself that you just can't make up this stuff. "Real" life situations are hilarious. I must say you are very resourceful, and very kind to think of your mother-in-law's joy, at witnessing (what she thought . . .) was THE proposal to her daughter! :p

The cast members were really wonderful to you through both proposals. ;) They really extended the Disney magic to you and your wife.

Now about those puppies--they are growing up quickly! :) Are you still trying to pick out your favorite, or is it impossible??!! :D
Thanks for the kind words. I think any resourcefulness on my part was born out of complete fear of having an upset Mother in Law, lol. The second proposal was a crazy day with a funny ending. Ill post it soon. I can not say enough how awesome the CM's were on both occasions. Without them, it would have never been so magical!

As far as the pups, we havent begun to try and pick one since there are still several weeks left until they are able to leave their mother. Plus, the trainer/breeder will choose which ones show signs of being good for protection/guard. Depending on certain criteria as the pups age, they show particular signs that help the trainer determine "drive" in the dogs. Some will be good sporting dogs as others will show signs of being guard/protection driven. The whole process so far has been fascinating and we are using the time to educate ourselves as much as possible. Its overwhelming how much there is to learn but we are having a blast watching videos and reading all the material. We are also beginning to transform part of our back yard into a training are for the pup. Lots of work and the 90 + degree temps havent made it any easier, lol

Last edited:

Chernaboggles

That is amazing that Rose is 20 years old! WOW. Joules is beautiful as well. My wife had a yellow lab mix years ago. They are such great animals. We also use the phrase "grand pet" when our dog stays with my parents. They spoil him rotten and he is often reluctant to get in the car when we pick him up lol. My Dad is excited about us getting a Dutch shepherd because when he was in Vietnam his group found a shepherd puppy and kept him. The dog went everywhere with them as they moved around the country during the war.

Thanks! Rose is amazing. She was re-homed to us at age 16, grudgingly tolerates the other cats, threatens the dog's life every time he comes near her (he is sad about this, as he wants to be friends with the whole world) and has completely taken over Mr.Chernaboggles' home office. I neglected cat pictures last time, so here's Rose:
Rose.jpg

Kira (dark tabby) and Hobbes (orange) are pals, and both get on with Joules. Kira LOVES him, especially in winter because he's big and warm.
JoulesKiraHobbes.jpg
JoulesKira2.jpg

Bonus pic from the Philadelphia Flower Show (Nightmare Before Christmas display!), which was Disney themed last year.
JoulesFlowerShow1.jpg

Please keep updating with pics of your new puppy. We've reached our maximum for pets right now, so I have to get my puppy and kitten fix from other people!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom