Least Favorite Signature Restaurant

NiarrNDisney

Personally I didn't think anything was special about the meal. Flavors weren't interesting to me at all...I know others love it but it's just not for me. :)

Oh okay I just wanted to know! I know many people love it so I figured I would get another point of view! I prefer Territory Lounge next door since I don't feel the need to get dressed up and I can order anything off the bar and the restaurants menu.

Ariel484

Oh okay I just wanted to know! I know many people love it so I figured I would get another point of view! I prefer Territory Lounge next door since I don't feel the need to get dressed up and I can order anything off the bar and the restaurants menu.
We didn't get to spend any time at Territory Lounge...definitely something I regret. :)

PrincessNelly_NJ

I have only tried a handful, but Narcoossee's was my least favorite. I think it was an off night. They cut our steaks in half because they needed to know that they were cooked properly. o_O Never have I been to a restaurant that couldnt cook a steak to the requested temp without cutting into it!
That was one of the first things I learned at culinary school.
The filet came out cut into two pieces and was really tough, the lobster tail was amazing though.

zurgandfriend

We always liked Artist's Point in Wilderness Lodge. However, the last time we were there I ordered their buffalo menu item. It was so tough I couldn't cut it with a knife, let alone chew it. The others in our party had ordered different items. I hardly ever send anything back to the kitchen as I am not a fussy eater, but this cut of meat was impossible.

The problem encountered was that they wouldn't believe me that it was tough. First the waiter, then the head waiter and finally the manager. They kept telling me that buffalo is different than beef. Something I already knew. They apparantly had served this particular menu item to a large group of people the day before and no one had complained. Anyway they finally offered me any other menu item.

The kicker of the story was after we were finished with our meal and had paid the bill, they apologized as they had finally tried that particular piece of meat and found that it was, indeed, inedible. At that point they offered us a dessert but we said no thanks and have not been back.

A word about Bison, I’m not a chef or an expert on raising cattle but for what it’s worth I am half Native American. Due to government regulation bison are not given growth hormones, also bison is a lot leaner than beef. As it’s so lean it cooks quickly and becomes really tough if cooked too long. It should never be cooked more than medium and should quickly be seared over high then cooked slowly on lower heat.

PMC0849

Original Poster
A word about Bison, I’m not a chef or an expert on raising cattle but for what it’s worth I am half Native American. Due to government regulation bison are not given growth hormones, also bison is a lot leaner than beef. As it’s so lean it cooks quickly and becomes really tough if cooked too long. It should never be cooked more than medium and should quickly be seared over high then cooked slowly on lower heat.

We have Artists Point Reservations in October, and I was hoping to try the bison, until I read some of the responses here. This comment has me a little less worried since I always it medium rare, rare, or occasionally black and blue.

ToTBellHop

Le Cellier is terrible and terribly overpriced. And, I'm sorry, but I've never been in a dungeon-like wine cellar with low ceilings and mirrored walls. The whole place needs to be gutted and redone. The prices are out of this world there since it went signature.

I personally feel that CRT is beautiful but does not serve food worthy of the location or the price. It used to. Now it's a very expensive TGI Fridays.

Hockey89

Medium Rare or maybe even rare...Don't overcook it...

horizons82

I have to break this down into two categories because I can't give just one overall least favorite signature restaurant.

My most disappointing experience as far as food happened at Flying Fish, which surprised even me because reviews I read were so positive. Perhaps it was an off night for some reason, but from the appetizer to my steak, it just didn't have the elevated, high-end flavors that I had come to expect from the other signature restaurants. It really did seem to be a case of quantity over quality as both my wife and I had huge portions of what seemed to be good (but not great) food. However, the cheese plate was the best I've had of the sig restaurants and I loved the whimsical décor.

(Correction/edit):
Until I just looked, I did not even realize that CRT was considered a signature restaurant. While it was a fun meal and eating inside of the castle was a special experience, the dinner food I had there was passable at best. I honestly never even knew it was a signature because my meal was only marginally better than something I could have had from a buffet. So CRT is definitely my least favorite for food. I'd say Be Our Guest is closer to a signature restaurant than CRT in terms of the food.

My most disappointing experience in terms of atmosphere is probably Le Cellier. Simply put, there are too many tables, and it ruins the otherwise potentially lovely atmosphere. There are too many tables and they are packed so close together that there is no intimacy at all. It's very loud when it is packed (which it usually is), and tables are so close you can often hear conversations of those next to you or even two tables away (and you know they can hear you). Décor and lighting are wonderful, but the amount of people and tables totally ruins it.

However, I've had fabulous food with each visit I've had at Le Cellier--the pretzel bread, the soup, the steak and the risottos keep me coming back in spite of the loud and over-packed dining room. Desserts have been disappointing though--better off heading to Les Halles for a post-dinner dessert.

Last edited:

JohnD

Been to LeCellier twice already. I like it but time for something different on my next trip. Going to Yachtsmans in October. I have a Shula's in my hometown (actually Shula's 347) so Shula's wouldn't be anything new to me.

horizons82

I checked - yup, they did it again.... that's THREE fake Sigs: Le Cellier, CRT, and Monsieur Paul :(.

Trotsky...I've been wanting to go to Monsieur Paul for quite a while for the menu (and for it's namesake, although I'm sure Paul Bocuse isn't at the restaurant much, if ever).

I've not been to MP's yet, so I'd really like to know a more detailed reason why you don't think it belongs on the signature list. -Thanks

ToTBellHop

Trotsky...I've been wanting to go to Monsieur Paul for quite a while for the menu (and for it's namesake, although I'm sure Paul Bocuse isn't at the restaurant much, if ever).

I've not been to MP's yet, so I'd really like to know a more detailed reason why you don't think it belongs on the signature list. -Thanks
It's not Paul Bocuse's restaurant. It is designed by his son, Jerome.

ABQ

In response to the OP, CRT is absolutely the worst version of Signature Dining. Location or not, it's silly to refer to it as such.

@Trotsky , since we seem to share the same palate judging from your detailed post above, I'm curious if/when you last dined at Jiko and do you think it's doing well to keep its Signature status? I've been every year for the past 7 and only had one subpar experience, that was 3 years ago, I was worried at the time that they were spiraling down but have turned it around, imho.

horizons82

And that's a VERY valid question...

Prior to the "Monsieur Paul" re-brand, we had Bistro de Paris... and it was very good, up to about 2010. We went there twice per year. Around 2010, bad things began to occur to Bistro de Paris :(. We observed the "DDP restaurant crunch" effect beginning to take it's toll - cheapening to stay solvent at the 2 point level. It got worse - and the restaurant miraculously "changed" (read: escape hatch).

It is now a Prixfixe - still takes DDP, and working like mad to be a SIG. Sadly, it isn't. And I don't think it's the "fault" of whatever Head Chef is actually THERE most days. MP is just stuck in the old "rock and hard place" straightjacket of HAVING to keep every offering at, or below, 2 point DDP compensation :(.

As of today? There is exactly ONE valid "in Park" SIG. That would be the Brown Derby. And whoever is Managing that Restaurant is a complete Hero.... I don't know HOW the poor man (or woman) is making it work :(. Our last trip (4-2014) - we began to see the BD fraying around the edges... same problem :(.

SO FAR - the REAL Sigs (primarily at the Hotels), appear less affected. CA Grill remains stunning. AP is trying to fight. Citrico's is beginning to fray.... Narcoossee's is ALSO fighting/less frayed. V&A is so far above ANY of this garbage that it continues to get BETTER (thank you MD Israel - you are a HERO!).

The STARS that we do not believe have seen the DDP "quality ceiling effect": Il Mulino, Shula's, Fultons, and a few other independents. Sandy and I are just about to start booking 1-3 OFFSITE restaurants for our 4-2015 trip. We'll eat the cab fare just to escape from what appears to be a continuing DDP cheapening effect. Hate doing it, but WDW seems Hell Bent on a shift to food shovels :(.

Edit - it occurs to me that I violated my PRIME RULE - give you a positive option :)

From EPCOT - consider getting on the IG boat. This will get you to Shula's (Dolphin), Il Mulino (Swan), Yachtsman's (Yacht Club) - all VERY GOOD restaurants. And the boat ride is fairly short - and FUN :).

Thank you for this very detailed and informative post!

I also easily agree that the resort restaurants do seem to offer the best options for signature dining on WDW property. I did have a wonderful dinner at Brown Derby and thus far it has been my favorite in-park dining experience (mostly because of my complaints about Le Cellier's crowded dining area and high noise level). In general, the in-park signature restaurants do seem to be at a lower-level than those at the resorts...from my experiences anyhow.

I'm still going to have to try Monsieur Paul sometime in the future as it is on my "wish list" of WDW restaurants, but I appreciate your input and hopefully I'll go in with a more appropriate sense of expectation, which might help me enjoy it more than I otherwise might have.

Bluezoo and Il Mulino are also on that 'wish list'.

Thanks again for the insights and your thoughts.

Hockey89

Thank you for this very detailed and informative post!

I also easily agree that the resort restaurants do seem to offer the best options for signature dining on WDW property. I did have a wonderful dinner at Brown Derby and thus far it has been my favorite in-park dining experience (mostly because of my complaints about Le Cellier's crowded dining area and high noise level). In general, the in-park signature restaurants do seem to be at a lower-level than those at the resorts...from my experiences anyhow.

I'm still going to have to try Monsieur Paul sometime in the future as it is on my "wish list" of WDW restaurants, but I appreciate your input and hopefully I'll go in with a more appropriate sense of expectation, which might help me enjoy it more than I otherwise might have.

Bluezoo and Il Mulino are also on that 'wish list'.

Thanks again for the insights and your thoughts.
Todd English is not a well liked man.... i would not spend a dollar there

And that's a VERY valid question...

Prior to the "Monsieur Paul" re-brand, we had Bistro de Paris... and it was very good, up to about 2010. We went there twice per year. Around 2010, bad things began to occur to Bistro de Paris :(. We observed the "DDP restaurant crunch" effect beginning to take it's toll - cheapening to stay solvent at the 2 point level. It got worse - and the restaurant miraculously "changed" (read: escape hatch).

It is now a Prixfixe - still takes DDP, and working like mad to be a SIG. Sadly, it isn't. And I don't think it's the "fault" of whatever Head Chef is actually THERE most days. MP is just stuck in the old "rock and hard place" straightjacket of HAVING to keep every offering at, or below, 2 point DDP compensation :(.

As of today? There is exactly ONE valid "in Park" SIG. That would be the Brown Derby. And whoever is Managing that Restaurant is a complete Hero.... I don't know HOW the poor man (or woman) is making it work :(. Our last trip (4-2014) - we began to see the BD fraying around the edges... same problem :(.

SO FAR - the REAL Sigs (primarily at the Hotels), appear less affected. CA Grill remains stunning. AP is trying to fight. Citrico's is beginning to fray.... Narcoossee's is ALSO fighting/less frayed. V&A is so far above ANY of this garbage that it continues to get BETTER (thank you MD Israel - you are a HERO!).

The STARS that we do not believe have seen the DDP "quality ceiling effect": Il Mulino, Shula's, Fultons, and a few other independents. Sandy and I are just about to start booking 1-3 OFFSITE restaurants for our 4-2015 trip. We'll eat the cab fare just to escape from what appears to be a continuing DDP cheapening effect. Hate doing it, but WDW seems Hell Bent on a shift to food shovels :(.

Edit - it occurs to me that I violated my PRIME RULE - give you a positive option :)

From EPCOT - consider getting on the IG boat. This will get you to Shula's (Dolphin), Il Mulino (Swan), Yachtsman's (Yacht Club) - all VERY GOOD restaurants. And the boat ride is fairly short - and FUN :).
I agree with your assessments of most of the restaurants you provided. I give a little leeway to Disney, however, on the "Signature" designation. Unfortunately, it's clear Disney does not use the Signature designation to define the overall quality of food or dining experience but rather to distinguish between meals that cost 1 entitlement on the DDP or 2 entitlements. I think the reason they do this because it makes it easier for first timers using the DDP and while that could be frustrating to those who wish the designation was reserved for only those restaurants with the best overall experience it does serve a purpose to classify CRT, MP and Le Cellier as Signatures even though their dining experience does not rise to the level of Signatures.

ABQ

Why is he not well liked? I don't know much about him I guess.
As someone who lived in Boston for most of my life, I can say he's regarded as a bit of an arrogant around there. However, it's not really surprising. But I will say, Fig's is a very nice restaurant, imho.

edit...see above

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom