Late flight, what to do?

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
We will be staying at Fort Wilderness the second week in Dec., we will be driving down from NC and our kids will be flying in from OKC. When we check out we have to start driving home early but the kids flight doesn't leave until 6 that night. Will they be able to leave there luggage at the front desk so they can do some things during the day or will they have to go wait at the airport until 6?

dreamfinder

If their airline participates in RAC (Resort Checkin) then they can have their bags checked in right at the resort. If it doesn't, or their flight doesn't meet the requirements (departing within so many hours etc) they can definitely leave their luggage with the desk/bell services until their departure. But as @4disneylovers said, if they are using DME that pickup time is much earlier than people think.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
We`re leaving around 7 that morning and there flight is at 6. I just was hoping they wouldn't have to spend 11 hours at the airport. They are not going to have a car at there disposal and they are using DME. If they can check there bags they can spend some time in DTD or some resort hopping. Now I`m envious; They get to spend another day there and still beat us home. Thanks for the info.

s&k'smom

I love the fact that you can have your bags sent ahead to the airport, we did that last year and it was awesome.

doctornick

If their airline participates in RAC (Resort Checkin) then they can have their bags checked in right at the resort. If it doesn't, or their flight doesn't meet the requirements (departing within so many hours etc) they can definitely leave their luggage with the desk/bell services until their departure. But as @4disneylovers said, if they are using DME that pickup time is much earlier than people think.

One thing you can do -- if you feel like the DME pickup time is too early -- is check in your bags in the morning, but just take a cab to the airport. You won't be beholden to the DME schedule and you can take said cab directly from a park if you like to get more time at a park (but you obviously would have to have any carry-ons with you in the park in that situation). However, I would warn everyone that the security gates at MDO tend to build long lines, so you have to account for that time needed.

Mouse_Trap

One thing you can do -- if you feel like the DME pickup time is too early -- is check in your bags in the morning, but just take a cab to the airport. You won't be beholden to the DME schedule and you can take said cab directly from a park if you like to get more time at a park (but you obviously would have to have any carry-ons with you in the park in that situation). However, I would warn everyone that the security gates at MDO tend to build long lines, so you have to account for that time needed.

Would anyone really recommend leaving Disney less than 3 hours before a flight?

The airport journey is at good 35 minutes (assuming no traffic holdups or accidents), generally you are needed to be at the gate what another 30 minutes before the flight, security can take 30 mins to get through if it's busy not to mention bag drop and navigating around MCO. Anything less than 3 hours wouldn't seem to leave much contingency time.

MorganKelly

We were at WDW once in January and used Mears (before the ME service started). We had used them several times before with no issues. Pick-up time was 2 hours before flight time (this was also pre 9/11). I was traveling back home alone and I traveled back with no luggage; my family was bringing it back for me. The bus picked up several other folks and I at the CR and then to the Poly and GF. The driver was moving very slowly and I was a little concerned about the time it was taking, but I decided there wasn't much I could do at that point. It took what seemed like an inordinately long time to get to MCO. I think he might have taken a wrong turn or two, but I do remember thinking we were not keeping up with the pace of traffic (what little traffic there was). Well, I barely made it to the gate on time - luckily having no luggage to check - only to find that my flight was delayed. I had actually been ready to re-book another flight, certain I had missed mine, but luck was on my side. I literally had 10 minutes to spare, mainly because I had no luggage to check. It was an extremely stressful experience.

I know that the pick-up times on ME can be painfully early (we will have a 5:00 am departure time on our upcoming trip:eek:), but I don't mind. Security lines do often add considerable time even though I think they actually move pretty well at MCO. For me, any extra time I gain is a bonus. I know there are folks that don't agree: they undoubtedly have a calmer personality than I. ;) We often travel now with either my elderly mom or our 2-year old grandson. The extra minutes I may gain help us to catch our breath!:hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom