Largest Disney Pawn Shop Opens

Monsterfan99

I went there opening day and it was overall nice. The size of the place was basically a 2 car garage with a 25-30 foot ceiling. They did their best to get everything organized, but there was just so much stuff there. It felt like an estate sale where you go through the house and look for little gems. The staff was also outstanding. Very helpful and quick with any thing you needed.

There were a lot of little items like a few thousand different buttons, old tickets, maps ect. to get on the cheap. The attraction used items went from expensive to insane in price. There was also a bunch of pre-opening material from all the non-MK parks that also was not for the cheap.

Being a local, I'll be going back again this month when there are less people there. I could easily spend 2-3 hours going through the buttons alone.

MissM

Did they ever find a buyer for the Horizons ride vehicle?

They also had the Mark IV Monorail Red car in their warehouse at one time but I don't know if it was actually for sale. Anyone know where it is now?
I saw the Horizon's ride vehicle there every time I went (except the last which was moving day and while they invited the public that day, the place was already literally stripped bare.) I don't think it ever sold.

Didn't the Monorail go to someone in Georgia? I see to recall reading that. Hrm, quick google check and it was at a guy named Chip Young's house in GA but was later sold on ebay. It's now on display apparently: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/24386

Mad Stitch

I want the Haunted Mansion plaque, I wonder how much that is. I wouldn’t mind the old Studio parking lot signs either. I worked in Studio parking for two years while those signs were in use.

wdw71fan

I want the Haunted Mansion plaque, I wonder how much that is. I wouldn’t mind the old Studio parking lot signs either. I worked in Studio parking for two years while those signs were in use.

haunted mansion plaque is 850$.

I was there last weekend for the grand opening... Here's my review:

Avoid theme park connection in winter garden... Most items are broken, all are over priced... Saw something that is currently sold at wdw for 75, they had it for 300, with no box.... Never going back....

The 'movie props' they sell don't come with any documentation or certificates of authenticity.. which makes then, WORTHLESS..

There's more to knock about the place, but thats enough for everyone to realize it's crap..

Figment1986

Back in the 80's we operated a Dunkin Donuts and the uniform policy was that the employee would sign a statement of what uniform items they received at hire and were to do their own washing. When they left employment they were to turn in those items before they got their last paycheck or they were charged for them. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then but there could be some similar policy at Disney.

that's what SeaWorld parks does... but doesn't mean they work there long enough and have pieces of uniforms to make a whole one :lookaroun or they have out of date pieces, like an employee issued black busch gardens jacket and returned the newer blue one they got only last year since the black one was written off :lookaroun

There's a pretty big difference between costumes and costumes. No one is bringing home Mickey Mouse. General resort staff, basic theme park staff, custodial, easily replaceable/cheap etc. sure.

mmexpress

This company was formerly named Sell and Ship on Ebay.
I have purchased a lot of merchandise from them and have never been disappointed.

71jason

Stopped by today--it's a bear to find, deep in an industrial park off 50 in Winter Haven.

A lot of stuff I'd expect from Property Control--out-of-date action figures, for instance. Lot of posters. At least 20% of merch was busted, particularly the collectables. Some mix and match glassware. Worth a trip if you're a local or if you enjoy flea markets/garage sales, but not something I'd give up half a day of vacation to check out.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Hmm...I'm dissapointed to hear that this place is junky as some posters are saying. I would have liked to take a trip on our next vaca.

I know a few people are surprised to hear things like the splash mountain "you may get wet" sign are thousand bucks..but that doesn't seem like a lot of money for something like that.
I mean how many times are signs like that changed out in the life time of that ride? At any given time there should only be a few in existence and that's what's going to determine the cost - that and the awesomeness of the ride..:D

Not that I have the coin to be dropping 1k on an item like that, but all things considered it seems very reasonable for a piece of theme park memorobilia like that.

Am I off base?

Moot point but if I wasn't married with kids - studio apartment with this kind of stuff all over the walls and as furniture....:animwink: yup!

flavious27

Used to have to turn them in at the end of each shift, but that ended years ago, I assume in an effort to save on laundry costs. Now you'll routinely see CMs in Publix or even Alehouse in costume.

Once Disney start letting CMs take costumes home, while, yeah, the policy is to turn them in when you leave the company but...probably honored more in the breach than the observance. Especially the iconic ones, e.g. Mansion.

I bet this will change when disney founds how much this place will make, and how much they can bring in with an online site. And or they mix this in with D23 as part of a way to sell more memberships.

Kobe!!

Hmm...I'm dissapointed to hear that this place is junky as some posters are saying. I would have liked to take a trip on our next vaca.

I know a few people are surprised to hear things like the splash mountain "you may get wet" sign are thousand bucks..but that doesn't seem like a lot of money for something like that.
I mean how many times are signs like that changed out in the life time of that ride? At any given time there should only be a few in existence and that's what's going to determine the cost - that and the awesomeness of the ride..:D

Not that I have the coin to be dropping 1k on an item like that, but all things considered it seems very reasonable for a piece of theme park memorobilia like that.

Am I off base?

Moot point but if I wasn't married with kids - studio apartment with this kind of stuff all over the walls and as furniture....:animwink: yup!

You can bargain with them you know. :lol:

CaptainShortty

The site says that CM are allowed to turn in their costumes for cash, but I thought that all CM's had to turn in costumes before they left. Isn't that the case?

CMS are allowed to take up to 5 of each article of their costume home with them but they must be returned to Disney at the termination of a CM's employment or they are forced to pay for them and I believe it goes on their record.

wdw71fan

CMS are allowed to take up to 5 of each article of their costume home with them but they must be returned to Disney at the termination of a CM's employment or they are forced to pay for them and I believe it goes on their record.

yup.. it's gets them a big fat "No Re-Hire" on their HR record..

you can contest those and potential get them lifted, but trying to explain away theft is difficult ..

eddy21

Heard the owner was a recruiter for Disney. He must have an inside connection to get this stuff. Can't believe Disney allows it.

dreamfinder

I bet this will change when disney founds how much this place will make, and how much they can bring in with an online site. And or they mix this in with D23 as part of a way to sell more memberships.

Believe it or not, they did try it. Back before eBay really took off, maybe 10-12 years ago, Disney sold all sorts of stuff on their "Disney Auctions" section of eBay. Ranged from old merchandise to park used props. Heck, they even sold one of the Dream Mobile/Dream Catchers/Whatever the official name is from the original Figment ride. I think it ended up selling for 8-9k before freight shipping. But slowly stopped selling stuff.

Heard the owner was a recruiter for Disney. He must have an inside connection to get this stuff. Can't believe Disney allows it.

Not at all. There have always been a few sellers on eBay that specialize in selling park used artifacts/overstock merchandise. Some people have said it comes from Property Control, but some of it really looks like they worked out a deal with Disney to get such large quantities. Property Control is a store on property where CM's (and sometimes regular people) can buy old merchandise, stuff they stopped selling, and sometimes even park used props. But some of the old sellers, like Mouse Surplus, really seemed to have a deal with Disney. For instance, when a hotel changed their decor theme, they would end up with large quantities of the old decor. Tables, chairs, lamps, linens, etc. Almost as if they offered to pay Disney x amount, and then cleared out the rooms in a given area, so Disney could redo them. A deal like that saves Disney the expense of clearing the rooms themselves, and the time/cost/hassle to sell the old decor. Disney also ends up making some money off of the deal as well. The same way that there are demo companies that will come demo an old abandonded building for free, but go through and strip all the wiring, plumbing, anything usable first. And they then make enough from reselling the useable materials to cover their costs of the demo.

Either way, its a smart move on Disney's part and a common business practice. The same way that HP just wrote off hundreds of thousands of their tablet devices and then fire sold them for $100 (from $499), Disney can write off the costs of unsold merch for a tax credit, and then make money from selling it afterwards. As far at the park relics go, same deal. A sign that may no longer meet standards for hanging on a wall, can still easily net a pretty penny from a fan who doesn't mind a few chips or faded paint. Just not enough for Disney to sit on it and sell it, so they unload em for cheap to someone who does sit on the item to sell it high.

flavious27

Believe it or not, they did try it. Back before eBay really took off, maybe 10-12 years ago, Disney sold all sorts of stuff on their "Disney Auctions" section of eBay. Ranged from old merchandise to park used props. Heck, they even sold one of the Dream Mobile/Dream Catchers/Whatever the official name is from the original Figment ride. I think it ended up selling for 8-9k before freight shipping. But slowly stopped selling stuff.

Well on-line auctions looked so cool back then. Actually I wouldn't be surpirsed that they start it back up but out source everything, like they do with the on-line photopass operations.

Unomas

Am I off base?

I don't think you are off base at all. Some of those items are very rare and unique. Like you said - how often do they replace that sign and how often do they end up on the market? It has to be pretty rare. I know I've never seen something like that available for sale. If I had the extra change for that kind of thing it would certainly be fun to have and a nice conversation piece. $1,000 seems very reasonable for an iconic sign off an attraction beloved by many across the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom