Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

Brad Bishop

Anyone with a management role in a public company in the US knows the answer to your question is B.

Mainly because the monorail does not directly drive revenue.

It's iconic but that and 5 bucks buys a Starbucks beverage for said manager

There's actually a worse scenario: The Epcot beams are deemed structurally deficient and they just shut that line down. They keep the MK beams up and running with the extra trains in rotation like I mentioned but they leave the Epcot beam in place because that's cheaper than demolition.
...just like the PeopleMover at DL after RocketRods
...just like 20,000 Leagues at MK
...just like the Odyssey Restaurant at Epcot
...just like Wonders of Life
- granted the last two are used sort of as "extra buildings" once in awhile but they still remain as reminders of what once was there and what was never replaced.

Another thought I had:
The buses (and I haven't been in 2 years and don't currently have any plans on returning, but this is just "in general from my experience of going multiple times a year for nearly a decade") are better kept than the monorails. They clean. They don't smell. The A/C works. While you do hear stories of them breaking down it's pretty rare and they're on it. Their buses, as unsexy as buses are, make me think of the most premium bus service you could hope for save for those express buses that travel 40+ miles into a major city which are pretty posh with upholstered seats and storage.

Every city should strive to run their bus system as well as WDW runs their system... and I've been there waiting when it seems like the bus didn't show and isn't showing (like 45 min at AK). That was a screwup and it happens but generally they're on point with them.

They're all-in on the buses.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

You clearly haven't read The Gondola Thread.

No. I've read through it. I think that the gondolas will be a nice addition/replacement for some of the bus lines. That doesn't mean that the buses are going away anytime soon.

My main point is that, as unsexy as the buses are, they keep them clean and well maintained. They're all in on the buses. They intend to use the buses extensively going forward. The gondolas don't detract from that. It's not like, for example, them keeping up with the Haunted Mansion precludes them from adding a new ride. They still believe in the Haunted Mansion. They still believe, and invest money, in keeping the buses looking nice and being a pleasant experience.

Perhaps better put: If they maintained the monorail the way they maintain the buses, we'd have nothing to talk about except, "When will they be expanding the monorail???"

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No. I've read through it. I think that the gondolas will be a nice addition/replacement for some of the bus lines. That doesn't mean that the buses are going away anytime soon.

My main point is that, as unsexy as the buses are, they keep them clean and well maintained. They're all in on the buses. They intend to use the buses extensively going forward. The gondolas don't detract from that. It's not like, for example, them keeping up with the Haunted Mansion precludes them from adding a new ride. They still believe in the Haunted Mansion. They still believe, and invest money, in keeping the buses looking nice and being a pleasant experience.

Perhaps better put: If they maintained the monorail the way they maintain the buses, we'd have nothing to talk about except, "When will they be expanding the monorail???"
And here's hoping the gondola system doesn't go 29 years without major refurb...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's actually a worse scenario: The Epcot beams are deemed structurally deficient and they just shut that line down. They keep the MK beams up and running with the extra trains in rotation like I mentioned but they leave the Epcot beam in place because that's cheaper than demolition.
...just like the PeopleMover at DL after RocketRods
...just like 20,000 Leagues at MK
...just like the Odyssey Restaurant at Epcot
...just like Wonders of Life
- granted the last two are used sort of as "extra buildings" once in awhile but they still remain as reminders of what once was there and what was never replaced.

Another thought I had:
The buses (and I haven't been in 2 years and don't currently have any plans on returning, but this is just "in general from my experience of going multiple times a year for nearly a decade") are better kept than the monorails. They clean. They don't smell. The A/C works. While you do hear stories of them breaking down it's pretty rare and they're on it. Their buses, as unsexy as buses are, make me think of the most premium bus service you could hope for save for those express buses that travel 40+ miles into a major city which are pretty posh with upholstered seats and storage.

Every city should strive to run their bus system as well as WDW runs their system... and I've been there waiting when it seems like the bus didn't show and isn't showing (like 45 min at AK). That was a screwup and it happens but generally they're on point with them.

They're all-in on the buses.

Yes anyone with a mechanical background can see that the WDW buses are exceptionally well maintained now possibly this is because Disney wants to maximize resale value on Buses since they turn them over frequently

s8film40

I would say that the recent story of Disney getting into autonomous vehicles would point to them somewhat being "all in" on busses. Once they can automate them they'll save a fortune and still have a transportation system that can reach every location.

brideck

This is probably slightly more on-topic in the Monorail Orange thread, but does anyone know what the schedule is for the other ten trains to get the re-paint (and presumably some enhanced maintenance)?

We're leaving in 5 minutes to head to "Mystic Timbers Tuesday". Park is open from 10-11 for gold and platinum only- and only that ride. I'm hoping we get to go on it more than once! We've been on it 3 times so far ranging from 204 minute wait to our shortest of 65 minutes.
Wish us luck for no lines tonight!!

How did this go? My local Cedar Fair (Valleyfair) has one of these nights coming up next week and I have no idea what to expect for wait times.

21stamps

This is probably slightly more on-topic in the Monorail Orange thread, but does anyone know what the schedule is for the other ten trains to get the re-paint (and presumably some enhanced maintenance)?

How did this go? My local Cedar Fair (Valleyfair) has one of these nights coming up next week and I have no idea what to expect for wait times.

It was fun! We arrived in the parking lot just before the fireworks ended, waded through a mass exodus of people.. and went straight to mystic timbers. We waited 25 minutes, then waited a few more minutes in the photo line to get the ride photo, and then another 15 minutes in line to ride again..then photo again. Then we left right around 11. We really enjoyed it.

On Saturday we did an after hours at Soak City. Called S'mores Saturday. Same thing arrived after the water park closed, stayed for an hour and went on six slides. We didn't get any Smore's because the line for that was too long. Not sure if your park has a soak city, or a waterpark...but if you do and they offer one of those Saturdays I highly recommend it!
I think that event was two hours, but we arrived late.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"We have to ride these rides to failure to save money." That is Disney's own history. It has already happened before and there is nothing inherent to stop it from reoccurring.

And from the condition and reliability of the WDW monorail and other rides its obvious that this philosophy is back in play at Disney

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The recent rumors about autonomous vehicles and the gondola rides are interesting to me. It seems that Disney is finally admitting they have some infrastructure issues they can work on.

It seems they are going for a multiple angles approach to this transportation situation and maybe gauging which one works out better in the long run, then may expand on that?

wishiwere@wdw

Mechanically? Sure. Perhaps. But I was literally on a bus to the Springs two hours ago and the entire area above the front door was completely decayed and missing large chunks of steel. You could see the rot and you could see how it was approaching the pivot point for the doors. Not only bad show but will also need attention whether they like it or not. And no pictures... didn't want to get dirty looks from anybody lol. I have to imagine a bunch of that same generation are having the same issue but didn't notice until today.

Edit: this was obviously related to the brief bus discussion. Not sure how I goofed up the quotes!

Last edited:

peter11435

Mechanically? Sure. Perhaps. But I was literally on a bus to the Springs two hours ago and the entire area above the front door was completely decayed and missing large chunks of steel. You could see the rot and you could see how it was approaching the pivot point for the doors. Not only bad show but will also need attention whether they like it or not. And no pictures... didn't want to get dirty looks from anybody lol. I have to imagine a bunch of that same generation are having the same issue but didn't notice until today.

Edit: this was obviously related to the brief bus discussion. Not sure how I goofed up the quotes!
What type of bus was this?

Cesar R M

Yes anyone with a mechanical background can see that the WDW buses are exceptionally well maintained now possibly this is because Disney wants to maximize resale value on Buses since they turn them over frequently
I'm pretty sure it has to do for the fact that the buses are not "owned" by Disney, but parts of the MEARS service.
I mean, all the buses (Disney logos or not) had the MEARS logo.

Thefore, they have the pressure of offering good service and at least decent working buses.

Goofyernmost

I'm pretty sure it has to do for the fact that the buses are not "owned" by Disney, but parts of the MEARS service.

Thefore, they have the pressure of offering good service and at least decent working buses.
I'm having a problem with that. A bus with that much decay in Florida is very difficult to picture. Broken piece, maybe? But, I cannot even picture what is being described. Something isn't right about it. Mears has to keep up good buses as well, they represent Disney in many areas, if they want to keep business they will always send their best stuff there. I wish there was a picture available, but, I guess there isn't.

peter11435

This is not true. Magical Express Buses and DCL buses are owned and operated by MEARS. Those buses do have the MEARS name on them. MEARS has nothing to do with the actual WDW bus systems. The Disney transport buses are not affiliated with MEARS and do not feature MEARS name or logo anywhere. All Disney transport buses are owned ( or occasionally leased) by Disney.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Funnily, there has been many stories of AIRLINES refusing to pay expensive repairs or defective airplane because it costs cheaper to pay VICTIMS than fixing all their fleet.

Similar to the Auto industry. Before the media frenzy and social media power. They preferred to pay the victims money instead of recalling car fleets for defects.

The FAA will ground the airline's fleet if they don't maintain the aircraft as prescribed by both the manufacturer and FAA. And the NTSB would note such failure in any report on a crash. Which will give attorneys (and FAA) PLENTY of ammo in litigation.

s8film40

I'm having a problem with that. A bus with that much decay in Florida is very difficult to picture. Broken piece, maybe? But, I cannot even picture what is being described. Something isn't right about it. Mears has to keep up good buses as well, they represent Disney in many areas, if they want to keep business they will always send their best stuff there. I wish there was a picture available, but, I guess there isn't.
Haha, I remember talking with a Maruti driver and he mentioned when they split up the DME busses between the two companies that Mears gave them all of the older and problem buses and kept the good ones for themselves.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The FAA will ground the airline's fleet if they don't maintain the aircraft as prescribed by both the manufacturer and FAA. And the NTSB would note such failure in any report on a crash. Which will give attorneys (and FAA) PLENTY of ammo in litigation.

First the FAA has to CATCH the airline doing stuff like 'Paper Maintenance' and thats hard when you have underpaid inspectors who have been at one airline a long time, sometimes the airline 'social engineers' the inspector and avoids at all cost pushing their buttons. Then you have the more corrupt who are offered a cushy job post govt retirement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom