Large Piece Falls off Monorail - Being Evacuated

Goofyernmost

But it is.. especially with systems like aircraft, etc. It's why all maintenance is logged, all hours and cycles are logged, and parts have documented service lifespans and products have documented servicing. In the case of aircraft, its all heavily regulated and why only licensed mechanics are able to do even basic maintenance. Now a train like the monorail isn't to the same level.. but the concept is the same. Not every part will be required to be replaced, but critical systems would be covered.. including drive train, structure, controls, etc.

'Service lifespan', 'Service Interval', are not made up words.
So let's compare dropping 30,000 feet out of the sky the same as a small part falling off a passing monorail. Again apples to space ships. Service Lifespan = how long something is expected to last (the same way that your car auto's guarantee is in force) not how long it will last but how long it was expected to last, worst case scenario. Service Interval = how often things are serviced on the list of serviceable items. You cannot just throw words out like they apply to every single thing.

We can reflect back to how old the Monorail Trains are and that would be legit if it weren't for the fact that over all those years, it is a bet that I'd take, that almost everything other than the shell has been replaced somewhere along the line, triggering the renewal of the Service Lifespan calculation.

nace888

It's already been stated that they're getting their much needed overhaul, which to me means that they'll be checking over parts etc soon enough. I'd surely hope that Bombardier gets off their grudge to allow Disney to get the parts they need, if they need it.

s8film40

It's already been stated that they're getting their much needed overhaul, which to me means that they'll be checking over parts etc soon enough. I'd surely hope that Bombardier gets off their grudge to allow Disney to get the parts they need, if they need it.
Disney and Bombardier have a fine relationship. Disney just doesn't want to spend money. I wouldn't expect any big overhaul anytime soon.

nace888

Disney and Bombardier have a fine relationship. Disney just doesn't want to spend money. I wouldn't expect any big overhaul anytime soon.
I was under the impression that they had a feud ages ago? Hmm... Guess that was either old or false news.

In the end, based on the talk and based on the information, it looks like they're getting their maintenance in now, and while they can.

s8film40

I was under the impression that they had a feud ages ago? Hmm... Guess that was either old or false news.

In the end, based on the talk and based on the information, it looks like they're getting their maintenance in now, and while they can.
Yeah Disney sued Bombardier for issues with the Mark VI that arose from modification that Disney insisted on. They've worked together since and kept things professional.

They're likely getting some maintenance as they do every few years, but what they really could use is a complete and total tear down and rebuild like central shops does with all the attractions.

Goob

Anyone else heard the rumor of Siemens offering to gift them all new monorails? The catch is the monorails had to display "Siemens" on them.

s8film40

Anyone else heard the rumor of Siemens offering to gift them all new monorails? The catch is the monorails had to display "Siemens" on them.
I don't think there's anything to that, just people making assumptions because Siemens became a sponsor.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
PM includes greasing, checking tolerances, etc. But here's a true story -- I had a brother-in-law who was hired by a major plastic bottle manufacturer. The first thing he noticed was that their machines were breaking down frequently but irregularly. After asking around, he figured out the only thing they were doing as part of their PMI program was lubricating the wear points they could see. After pointing out all the wear points they couldn't see without taking the machine apart, and pointing out how it was cheaper to replace certain wear parts on a regular basis rather than waiting for sporadic breakdowns (which entails significant cost and downtime to tear a machine apart to fix), they agreed with him that it was decidedly less expensive to periodically tear the machines down on a schedule they could control and replace the wear parts AT THE SAME TIME, before they failed. The program worked so well, they promoted him to floor manager.

(And then, once the culture of PREVENTIVE maintenance had been deeply ingrained on the plant floor, they fired him.)

Par for the course, His fixing of a persistent problem showed that an executive policy had been incorrect and the author of that policy made sure your BIL PAID for his impertinence,

It's why things like this are best done by consulting engineers because we can make unpopular changes which are needed by an organization without suffering personal blowback.

Nubs70

Wow, can we just let this thread die and fade into oblivion already?
No, because some here work in 24/7 maintenance intensive industries and have spent years keeping operations running at 85+% uptime. We have seen how maintenance deficiencies lead to people getting killed.

So when we look at the performance of the monorail as a system, we can see the maintenance system is horribly mismanaged.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No, because some here work in 24/7 maintenance intensive industries and have spent years keeping operations running at 85+% uptime. We have seen how maintenance deficiencies lead to people getting killed.

So when we look at the performance of the monorail as a system, we can see the maintenance system is horribly mismanaged.

What is the uptime (or downtime) for the monorails over the last year?

Nubs70

Seeing they run maybe 18 hours a day or 75% available uptime as compared to a 24/7 operation. If they run all day a full rated capacity with 100% quality, they are running at 75% Overall Operating Efficiency which is 10% below what is considered world class OEE.

Movielover

Remember folks, it's Siemens in the big ball, and Siemens in the long cylindrical object that goes through things :D

tenor.gif

;)

s8film40

I'm sure Disney has a record of that. What they consider downtime and uptime are probably not what you expect though. They don't typically consider something a downtime unless the whole line is closed, as it was in this instance. A train getting maintenance checks and being moved out of service can create huge delays but isn't considered a downtime.

nace888

Another video surfaced.

It's apparent that precautions were taken on all sides. They assessed the situation, passengers opened windows for air flow, and the pilot kept in touch the whole time when he could.

APPARENTLY, people even stuck their heads out of the windows...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom