Large Extended Family Trip

dupac

So I need advice, fellow WDWMagic-ers.

My sister-in-law approached me last weekend about taking a trip to WDW with the entire family. This would be my hubs parents, his brother's family, his two younger sibs and their significant others, and gma: a total of 14, 3 of those kids. The idea is for everyone to stay together. Oi.

The goal is to take a trip during a slow period next year. She mentioned February or September. I think February is too soon (my husband and I are also taking a Euro vacation) but she's worried September will still be too hot. I've personally only visited in March and June, which are both fairly busy times. I did suggest Oct/Nov.

They also want to hit UNI and go to the beach. It's all a lot to me but they are pumped since the only time they've been was for my niece's Make-a-Wish trip where they were rushed from place to place. So I'm up for it and told her I'd look into all of the possibilities (renting DVC points, dining plans, etc).

She's using a travel agent but I was wondering if you all had any tips or suggestions. I definitely wasn't planning on visiting the World in the next year, but here we are!

dupac

Original Poster
Not at all. We've actually considered staying in a vacation home through VRBO. I just have no idea what area we would want to stay in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

My best advice: do not plan this as a "Disney Vacation". Plan is at an "Orlando Area Vacation". Rent a house, rent a car or cars (or have some folks drive, if possible). Many of rentals have individual pools and all kinds of great community amenities. If you're all staying together in the same house, there will be less pressure for everyone to do every single activity together - with a group that big, sometimes you're going to want to break up and do different things with different people.

Check into group rates for the various theme parks. Figure out where you want to dine and how many days you want to do each theme park and the beach, because that will tell you whether or not to get a Tables in Wonderland card or annual passes for parking and other discounts. Run all the numbers.

Weatherwise, February is wonderful, but you're right about it being a bit of a time crunch to plan.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Not at all. We've actually considered staying in a vacation home through VRBO. I just have no idea what area we would want to stay in.
There are a lot of great ones on VRBO. Considerably cheaper than on-site and much more spacious. We've stayed in several areas and never been disappointed.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

Definitely rent a house! When looking at the houses there should be a google map of the location as well on the house's page, click it and see how far u r from everything! There r some really nice homes that r literally a 5 minute drive to disney world! I would also suggest looking at villadirect.com they have great houses and we have rented several times from then with no problems! Happy planning!

Upvote 0

dupac

Original Poster
My best advice: do not plan this as a "Disney Vacation". Plan is at an "Orlando Area Vacation". Rent a house, rent a car or cars (or have some folks drive, if possible). Many of rentals have individual pools and all kinds of great community amenities. If you're all staying together in the same house, there will be less pressure for everyone to do every single activity together - with a group that big, sometimes you're going to want to break up and do different things with different people.

Check into group rates for the various theme parks. Figure out where you want to dine and how many days you want to do each theme park and the beach, because that will tell you whether or not to get a Tables in Wonderland card or annual passes for parking and other discounts. Run all the numbers.

Weatherwise, February is wonderful, but you're right about it being a bit of a time crunch to plan.
I didn't even think about the TiW card or APs. Going to look into that.

What's October or November like crowd wise? We would avoid the holidays obviously. I know September will be steamy. Hubs and I live in Houston and the weather in Orlando is similar.

Upvote 0

dupac

Original Poster
Mid May has been suggested due to finals. Crowds don't appear to be bad, but what's the weather typically like? We went during the first week of June once and it rained every day we were there.

Upvote 0

dupac

Original Poster
Well after much back-and-forth, we've decided on a date. And it's none of the options I mentioned....

Spring break.

I know! It will be busy. But unfortunately it was the only time we could get the everyone's schedule lined up. Oh well! Family reunion in line for Space Mountain!

4 days WDW
2 days UNI
1 day beach

Oklahoma family is flying. Hubs and I are driving. I'm not sure about our north TX fam. We're staying in a vacation home and probably renting an additional car or 2, depending on who all drives. We're planning on making a couple of ADRs at some fun restaurants where they can seat us all together. I'm thinking Ohana but several other places were suggested in the Dining sub forum.

My main question now is regarding MDE and FP+. I never kept up with the roll out because I was not planning to be in WDW for several years. We still get MagicBands even though we're staying off-site, right?

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
My main question now is regarding MDE and FP+. I never kept up with the roll out because I was not planning to be in WDW for several years. We still get MagicBands even though we're staying off-site, right?
As long as your spring break is not the week before or after Easter (end of March/beginning of April), the crowd level in the parks will be manageable. But those two weeks of Easter are bad.

You will not get MagicBands if you stay offsite. You can purchase MagicBands (the plain ones are around $13 each) once you arrive, but they are not necessary as your tickets can be used for admission and fastpasses. If you purchase your tickets before you arrive, you can make fastpass selections 30 days in advance (resort guests get 60 days.)

Upvote 0

dupac

Original Poster
We will be going the 14th-21st so we're good!

Good to know about FP+. I'm not worried about the MagicBands really, just the logistics of FP+. With so many people in our party, it's a bit overwhelming!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom