Land Sale November 18

Brad Bishop

A lot of that land will be taken up by the Grand National overpass over I4.

The Doubletree is for sale. That little strip mall sold earlier this year.

Just looked it up. Yep, I see what you're talking about. I-4 Ultimate (my sister lives in FL and told me about it) looks pretty cool.

I don't see the win in Grand National going over I-4, though. It gives you a bit of a bypass on the East side of Kirkman but it just stops at Vineland. It's not like it's an obvious thoroughfare which is just missing this link. I'm not local so I don't really know. I'm just saying that based on looking at Google Earth I don't see where the win is.

It doesn't matter. If they're going to do it then they're going to do it and that plot of land is then of no use to Universal, outside of an odd resort.

Mikejakester

It is a superfund site, EPA.GOV will get you there, I'm too lazy to get the link. The waste was contained onsite and mitigated so it will not spread. To build the site someone will need to move it and that can spread the contamination by moving it not to mention the cost. If I recall (memory only here) a lot of the contamination is Tricloroethylene which was used to clean circuit boards but I also seem to recall other heavy metals. I don't see the exact components of the contamination in the site report but I am sure the docs are available. It is listed as cleanup completed so it is off the roles for now. That could change depending on the proposed use. Generally these sites are suitable for a golf course or other recreational use that does not disturb the cap, only the soil that was placed on the cap.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years

I didn't see it listed on the site... Can they pull it from the list if it's "cleared & cleaned"?

ryguy

If I was Universal I would love to buy Dr. Phillips High School. I am surprised they haven't offered to build a new beautiful school somewhere else to get the land.

Since were talking real estate, what do you think the plan will be for Wet n Wild when they close it down next year? I am assuming hotels, but has anyone heard any other ideas.

Mikejakester

The "word" in the Orlando business comm. is a condo complex
400 acres of condo complex? When was this word spoken of? I thought the "word" was this land was only viable for Mall/resort/Convention/entrainment construction due to its value. In lame terms you would not see a return on investment with simple condos. (condos would have to be super expensive in order to get some sort of ROI). I'll search for the link and post it. It was from the Orlando sentinel, But this was an article from July. So things might change I guess, (hence why I asked "when").

Guys we definitely need to brainstorm alot here...I can't picture Uni adding a third Harry Potter themed land as a whole third park if yes they were to purchase the land come November 18th. Harry Potter I think is enough right now at Orlando as it is IMO. Their's too many other popular film franchises Universal can bring to life right at their new 3rd theme park just not all based on Harry Potter...just my two cents. And I say no to an all video game park for Nintendo too. Nintendo should still go in USF I personally think. Speaking of Paramount why not bring back Paramount to the U.S after it did lose it's rights I guess to Cedar Fair, that was terrible that C.F lost Paramount BTW but they seem to be doing pretty decent now. I'll still say Six Flags is 3rd best theme park chain behind Disney and Universal.

so apparently this is bad for Orlando tourist theme park lovers...that the 450 acres of land got sold to Colony Capital LLC. Disney has lost, and Universal has lost. So Universal just lost a huge opportunity to buy more land for future growth at their resort. I know Disney has already purchased more land for their wetlands complex for Disney wide world of sports, DHS, and I believe MK is supposed to expand with WDW expansion as well correct me if I'm wrong. But anyways it's official that their will be no new resorts, theme park, at all correct on this universal blvd property?

JoeCamel

so apparently this is bad for Orlando tourist theme park lovers...that the 450 acres of land got sold to Colony Capital LLC. Disney has lost, and Universal has lost. So Universal just lost a huge opportunity to buy more land for future growth at their resort. I know Disney has already purchased more land for their wetlands complex for Disney wide world of sports, DHS, and I believe MK is supposed to expand with WDW expansion as well correct me if I'm wrong. But anyways it's official that their will be no new resorts, theme park, at all correct on this universal blvd property?

I don't think it is out the window. Colony Capital said they would like to sell in one chunk and not break it up so the waiting goes on and nothing is set in stone until they start moving dirt.

I don't think it is out the window. Colony Capital said they would like to sell in one chunk and not break it up so the waiting goes on and nothing is set in stone until they start moving dirt.

But Colony Capital LLC is not a theme park company like Disney,Paramount, Universal...well their not all about theme parks obviously but just saying....with CC LLC owning the Universal blvd land I did read that their's just going to be hotels just put up and a top golf course and alot of amenities....so that's it??? I know we don't know...but me as a Orlando theme park lover...you don't think we should throw in the towel just yet like you said? Would universal and disney be blocked from expressing interest for this property since Colony is in control? Universal was asked if they would have any interest in the property and they declined to answer...pretty strange is'nt it?

JoeCamel

The company created specifically to hold this piece of property wants to sell it as a chunk not break it up. There is hotel development on adjoining properties but nothing solid for this piece yet.

A theme park COULD step up and purchase this, they have 285,000,000 in it at this point and I am sure they want to make some profit so that is the money for raw land we are talking about.

It WAS a superfund site but has been cleaned up in place and is now off the list but there is plenty of hazards left on site.. I would NOT think a theme park would want to deal with that history but I am not in the biz. Lots of alligator infested swamp has been turned into luxo property here so anything is possible...... I guess.

Until you get a buyer with backing and solid development plans we won't know what will be done and even then they need to get something built. The one Colony got it from had big plans but in the end the land was sold at a foreclosure auction and that is where it stands today.

BrerJon

It WAS a superfund site but has been cleaned up in place and is now off the list but there is plenty of hazards left on site.. I would NOT think a theme park would want to deal with that history but I am not in the biz. Lots of alligator infested swamp has been turned into luxo property here so anything is possible...... I guess.

Universal would be fine with the site - they almost purchased it before and agreed to pay for all the clean up quite happily.

The deal was killed when Universal got bought up by Blackstone - who at the time wanted little to do with the theme park business, certainly no expansions - but if it had gone through we probably would already have a third gate in that spot today.

Brad Bishop

The deal was killed when Universal got bought up by Blackstone - who at the time wanted little to do with the theme park business, certainly no expansions - but if it had gone through we probably would already have a third gate in that spot today.

It sucks when a company buys a theme park and doesn't really want it. It happened to Opry Land (Nashville, TN). I remember it happening to a few others along the way, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom