Land Sale November 18

Voxel

President of Progress City
Depends what exactly is on site. Some can be contained, some need to be removed, some can just be built on with nothing done as long as it isn't residential. To complicated for me to figure out so we will see what happens.
Very true, I know all to much about this time of situation. We have monthly training on recognizing hazard contamination and what to do if you find ordinances.. From what I heard about the Lockheed land was that it was soil contamination from oil and fuel testing but that could be wrong.

danpam1024

Can someone help me with the size of the acquisition? Meaning, is it about the same size of what OUR is today? Half? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Thanks

maxairmike

JoeCamel

Universal was also involved in the site cleanup, as they were the owners when the process originally started. They likely know exactly what the situation is.

I am sure they did their due diligence on the purchase, you don't drop that much coin without checking it out. Too bad they sold it in the first place but different owners different plans. At least Comcast is planning for the long game. They just are not making new land in the area and this will put them in good stead for the next 20 - 30 years.

Tay

Third gate opening up in 5 years is unrealistic. I say 8-10 years. They still have a lot of holes to fix in USF and IOA. The entire front of USF should be redone , the expansion pad behind World Expo, and some more children stuff. IOA needs a Toon Lagoon replacement , another ride in Suess, something done to the lost continent ,and Marvel expansion. Both definitely could use more shows. They'll probably have a couple of hotels opening up in 5 years .

I'm definitely excited for the third gate regardless. It'll definitely bring more people to MK and take people away from the other 3 parks. We might finally get a real expansion that doesn't take forever and use up billions for 4-6 rides that they went over budget and got the good stuff cut out of them and meet and greets.

s8film40

Third gate opening up in 5 years is unrealistic. I say 8-10 years. They still have a lot of holes to fix in USF and IOA. The entire front of USF should be redone , the expansion pad behind World Expo, and some more children stuff. IOA needs a Toon Lagoon replacement , another ride in Suess, something done to the lost continent ,and Marvel expansion. Both definitely could use more shows. They'll probably have a couple of hotels opening up in 5 years .

I'm definitely excited for the third gate regardless. It'll definitely bring more people to MK and take people away from the other 3 parks. We might finally get a real expansion that doesn't take forever and use up billions for 4-6 rides that they went over budget and got the good stuff cut out of them and meet and greets.
Yes 5 years is unrealistic, but then Universals has been doing a lot of things that aren't realistic lately. Transformers being built in one year was very unrealistic.

I don't think they have to "fix" things in USF or IOA before starting the third park. Universal doesn't need to have the one park at a time mindset, there's no rule that a current park has to be completely fleshed out before beginning another. In fact I think it's wise to leave a little room for growth in the existing parks so that new things can be added alongside the new park so it doesn't get unbalanced attention.

s8film40

More of a construction problem. You have companies that you trust can do the work on time, on budget etc. If you get too many things going at once you need to hire people who may not be able to do what you want, like you want it to be done. WDW is going on a building binge so between the two parks they are going to run out of people who can do these size projects in the Orlando area. You can put things out for bids and hope for the best but who knows what will happen. Pretty much how government work goes and it's rare to hear one of those projects came in under time and budget. In fact it almost always the opposite.
Most theme parks have taken 3 years to construct. It really all comes down to money. If you pay enough you know what your getting and most contracts include time based incentives and penalties. If the Orlando area market does become short on construction resources Universal will be in the best position, with a whole park to build they will have more buying power and everyone else will just have to take what's left over.

DarthMileZ

Universals Nintendo World?

the new nintendo NX console is going to be revealed soon, followed by a huge shake up in nintendo's biz as they are going mobile and doing some other cool stuff... perhaps this is part of it.. we already know they are working with universal on attractions.. could be a new park entirely.

matt clark

i hope high gear means at least a cool thing like they did with islands of adventure.
anyone have any pictures of that? there was a little walk in deal around where the mummy is now and it had scale models and big boards of the ride previews etc. it was really cool. it was awesome to see how it was going to look as a finished product wayyyy before it was finished.

"The Islands of Adventure Preview Center was an attraction formerly located at Universal Studios Florida in the New York area which replaced The Screen Test Home Video Adventure.

It was meant to give guests a preview of the park's neighboring park, Islands of Adventure. It opened a year before the 'Islands' park opened and closed 4 years later.

Attraction summary
The attraction was located in a building themed after a theatre titled "Paradise Theater."

In the attraction, guests would walk through various rooms, the first of which was themed to Dr. Seuss creations and included an animated figure of "The Cat in the Hat" riding a machine from the book atop guests' heads.

This area also gave guests a preview of "Seuss Landing's" attractions. The next room was themed to "The Lost Continent" area, and showed guests models from that island and other theming.

The following room, was themed to the "Jurassic Park" island and featured a T-Rex dinosaur on display in front of a wall and also gave guests a preview of this area's attractions.

The next room, was themed to "Toon Lagoon" and had previews of the areas attractions.

Following, was a room themed to "Marvel Super Hero Island" and included Marvel Comics character insignia and previews of this areas attractions including a scale model of the Incredible Hulk Coaster attraction.

The final room stated when the "Islands" park would open, and showed guests Universal's future plans for the "Islands" park and expansion of Universal Orlando Resort."

Last edited:

JT3000

Does anyone care about the 50th? Every year Disney has another "number" to celebrate. Disney tries to make a big deal out of whatever number but I don't care, does anyone else?

I only care if there's new attractions. WDW arguably made a bigger deal out of Disneyland's 50th than DL did, so they better have something big up their sleeve this time (and not just stuff that's been announced years in advance.) The usual celebration antics won't cut it.

Opening a new park that year would be a big way for Universal to get in on the fun, but I doubt anything materializes that soon. Plus you'd have all the pixie dusters claiming it's a dick move by Universal.

Last edited:

s8film40

I think 2020 is possible, 2021 is likely and 2022 would be later than expected.

They didn't buy this land without having plans already in the works. Park construction historically averages 3 years, assuming they start 2017 that gives them plenty of time to open by 2020.

HauntedMansionFLA

I think 2020 is possible, 2021 is likely and 2022 would be later than expected.

They didn't buy this land without having plans already in the works. Park construction historically averages 3 years, assuming they start 2017 that gives them plenty of time to open by 2020.
Will they get more IP's? The Dreamworks deal was big.

trr1

I don't think that is that important. Universal has lots to draw on if they want to and a god attraction is a good attraction. Splash Mountain comes to mind, very few know what movie SM is based on and fewer yet have actually watched the movie.
that"s true but how can people watch a fantasy movie that " might offend " if not given the opportunity. IMO it should be released onto DVD so people can decide for themselves

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom