Land Sale November 18

The Tuna

Original Poster

The Tuna

Original Poster
Enough land to really take a chunk of time and money from Disney I would think. I would imagine a third Harry Potter land, maybe even a themed hotel would probably make them enough money to justify the expense. whats $250 mill these days anyway. hahaha. Plus a few more billion to build the land out. Will be an interesting couple of months thats for sure waiting to see who buys it.

JoeCamel

I have to wonder if they could overcome the hurdle of building on top of or next to a superfund site. The land has been mitigated but getting past the toxic publicity that would go with it might be more than mommy and daddy want to risk when junior is involved. On top or next to, the issue would come up if it becomes another park

PhilharMagician

Disney has been more in the business of selling land rather than buying over the past few years. I do not see WDC being interested at all and honestly I do not see a Universal expansion either since it is about 2 miles away from USF as the crow flies.

The Tuna

Original Poster
2 miles isn't that huge if they could build an elevated transit system of some sort. Not a Monorail per se but some sort of LRT. I'm sure getting permits to build that won't be easy but I'm sure they could figure it out if they really want to go for it. Connecting the Wet and Wild Property and this one would be huge for them.

Even if they did buy it how many years would it take to clean up the mess in the soil, get approvals and build. At their current rate, maybe 4 years. hahahah. The house of Mouse may be arrogant enough to just let them go ahead and buy it and build on it thinking Star Wars will save them, which it probably will, but still if they can take 4 days out of a vacation that is a huge chunk of change.

At the very least it will make for some great debates if one of them buys it.

JT3000

Disney has been more in the business of selling land rather than buying over the past few years. I do not see WDC being interested at all and honestly I do not see a Universal expansion either since it is about 2 miles away from USF as the crow flies.

Why not a Universal expansion? This is the closest land available, and it would be closer to their current property than some of WDW's parks are to each other. Only difference being they wouldn't own the land inbetween, but transportation is a straight shot down Universal Boulevard.

captainmoch

I really hope Universal gets this land. It's fairly close, (close enough for convenient transport even if they can't make a Unirail) and if they don't get it, I imagine the third park dream would be even farther away. If they do get the land, I expect a timeline of about:
2015-17: Slowly clearing out the land and preparing for construction.
2018: Construction begins
2019: Official announcement/press
2020: Construction begins on a new CityWalk district near the new park and a hub around where Wet N' Wild is.
2021: Official announcement of new hub/CityWal district.
Some time around 2022-2024: Park opens.

PhilharMagician

Why not a Universal expansion? This is the closest land available, and it would be closer to their current property than some of WDW's parks are to each other. Only difference being they wouldn't own the land inbetween, but transportation is a straight shot down Universal Boulevard.

It is possible to do it, I just don't think probable. How large can the tourist numbers grow in Orlando area? If they add another park, will there be enough theme park guests to go around? There are only so many people in to pass through turnstiles and the more turnstiles the less people at each. WDW hasn't added anything because they do not have enough traffic to justify not only the billion + dollars to build, but the millions to cover daily operations and infrastructure.

maxairmike

2 miles isn't that huge if they could build an elevated transit system of some sort. Not a Monorail per se but some sort of LRT. I'm sure getting permits to build that won't be easy but I'm sure they could figure it out if they really want to go for it. Connecting the Wet and Wild Property and this one would be huge for them.

Even if they did buy it how many years would it take to clean up the mess in the soil, get approvals and build. At their current rate, maybe 4 years. hahahah. The house of Mouse may be arrogant enough to just let them go ahead and buy it and build on it thinking Star Wars will save them, which it probably will, but still if they can take 4 days out of a vacation that is a huge chunk of change.

At the very least it will make for some great debates if one of them buys it.

The cleanup of the land in that area was officially finished up either last year or the year before, if I recall correctly. There's a new apartment complex at the edge of the site directly off Universal Blvd. next to the hotel over there (not Rosen, the other one, always forget the name).

JoeCamel

What exactly is wrong with the property? Is it really a super fund site?

OK this is kind of interesting to me have to do some DD.

It is a superfund site, EPA.GOV will get you there, I'm too lazy to get the link. The waste was contained onsite and mitigated so it will not spread. To build the site someone will need to move it and that can spread the contamination by moving it not to mention the cost. If I recall (memory only here) a lot of the contamination is Tricloroethylene which was used to clean circuit boards but I also seem to recall other heavy metals. I don't see the exact components of the contamination in the site report but I am sure the docs are available. It is listed as cleanup completed so it is off the roles for now. That could change depending on the proposed use. Generally these sites are suitable for a golf course or other recreational use that does not disturb the cap, only the soil that was placed on the cap.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years

Brad Bishop

The land right in the corner between FL Turnpike, I-4, and Kirkman makes the most sense to me.

Yep, they'd have to buy out an aging strip mall, a Burger King, and a few hotels. The worst would be the DoubleTree. I stayed there a year ago and it was an aging hotel. I normally think of DoubleTree as a cut above for hotels and this one wasn't. It felt like they were probably looking to sell it and weren't interested in improvements.

I don't really know, it was just an impression I got. That whole section would be a great piece of land for a 3rd gate. It's a kind of dying area, anyway. Some of the hotels that were there have already closed and been razed.

Disneyhead'71

The land right in the corner between FL Turnpike, I-4, and Kirkman makes the most sense to me.

Yep, they'd have to buy out an aging strip mall, a Burger King, and a few hotels. The worst would be the DoubleTree. I stayed there a year ago and it was an aging hotel. I normally think of DoubleTree as a cut above for hotels and this one wasn't. It felt like they were probably looking to sell it and weren't interested in improvements.

I don't really know, it was just an impression I got. That whole section would be a great piece of land for a 3rd gate. It's a kind of dying area, anyway. Some of the hotels that were there have already closed and been razed.
A lot of that land will be taken up by the Grand National overpass over I4.

The Doubletree is for sale. That little strip mall sold earlier this year.

matt78

Enough land to really take a chunk of time and money from Disney I would think. I would imagine a third Harry Potter land, maybe even a themed hotel would probably make them enough money to justify the expense. whats $250 mill these days anyway. hahaha. Plus a few more billion to build the land out. Will be an interesting couple of months thats for sure waiting to see who buys it.

I wonder if a 3rd Potter land would be based off of the American version of Hogwarts that is supposed to be in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom