Laminate Floors Increase Noise?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There was only one of those mops that has a sponge at the end of it. This was last August, so maybe the steam mops weren't in all rooms yet? I did use the mop provided to clean with water, but it really needed some pine sol or something that could cut through grime, you know?

Agree. Since I drive, I bring a spray bottle of bathroom cleaner and some sponges. I'm not a germaphobe, but I want to make sure that Jacuzzi tub is clean before I use it. Also use it on the sink, counter tops, stove and microwave, if they need it.

The Empress Lilly

People need to take their shoes off as soon as they get into the room. I treat it like my house, no one gets past a couple of feet from the door before shoes have to come off. It's disgusting.
No, they don't. Everybody is welcome to take their shoes off if they wish, but I and the vast majority of guests keep their shoes on, as is completely expected by any WDW hotel.

The Empress Lilly

I do take my shoes off, as does my family. I think Housekeeping should clean the floors prior to check in. I don't think that's unreasonable.
If you paid more than 'dingy motel rate' you can expect a clean floor in a hotel room.

It is a holiday resort, not the 'clean as if you weren't, in fact, on holiday experience'

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There was only one of those mops that has a sponge at the end of it. This was last August, so maybe the steam mops weren't in all rooms yet? I did use the mop provided to clean with water, but it really needed some pine sol or something that could cut through grime, you know?

A packet of the dishwasher detergent provided dissolved in warm water would make a good substitute floor cleaner.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Isn't there concrete between the floors of the hotels instead of wood in a home?
I know Pop Century has concrete walls/floors..not sure about the others though. I'm pretty sure the reason for the concrete is for fire protection but I bet concrete floors buffer more sound than floor trusses would.

jaklgreen

I do take my shoes off, as does my family. I think Housekeeping should clean the floors prior to check in. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Cleaning floors is one thing and I agree they should be cleaned. But most hotels have carpet and they can't shampoo it after every guest. I think that is why they are going to laminate floors, easier to clean.

jaklgreen

No, they don't. Everybody is welcome to take their shoes off if they wish, but I and the vast majority of guests keep their shoes on, as is completely expected by any WDW hotel.

Do you wear your shoes all throughout your house? I don't see it as any different. I personally do not want to track whatever it is I was stepping in all day into my house, or hotel room. That is nasty. Of course people can do what they want, does not mean its not gross. I love the Japanese and some European cultures where shoes come off and house slippers come on. They even do that in schools in Japan so all of the outside dirt is not dragged into your living space.

CdnDznyLuvr

I wasn't a fan of the carpets in the resort rooms and after taking off our shoes we always wore flip flops in the room as the carpets always seemed so dirty . Was as excited to hear about the laminate, however if housekeeping is leaving the floors sticky I think I'll still pack our flip flops to wear in the rooms

jaklgreen

I think it shown when a carpet is removed or replaced with wood or laminate flooring, to avoid disturbing your noise you should install a resilient underlay under your laminate floor.

You definitely need some kind of soundproofing. I laugh at the younger people who say that they are going to rip out the carpet in their second story bedrooms and put in hardwood. I ask them what soundproofing they are using and they have this blank look on their face. They have no idea how load it can get. Just wait till the kids start running around and playing in their rooms. Nobody thinks of that because we all have grown up with carpet. I am just barely old enough to remember the old houses my friends and family lived in and have experienced the noise of a hardwood house before everyone started putting carpet in.

MissViv

We had no noise from the floors above us at AKL Jambo House but the carpeted hallway was another thing. Very noisy when people were returning late from the parks or being out. Running and loud talking in the hallway resulted in this resort as being the most noisy we had ever stayed in.

heapster411

Laminate floors float on top of a pad. When laid correctly not much noise, think of it as a drum head. If enough space is given for expansion when warm, it should just set on top of the pad. If you use a cheap or thin pad, it will make noise, for there is nothing to absorb the sound wave.

John park hopper

I will never have wall to wall carpet in our house again, I ripped out the carpet and even though they were regularly vacuumed and a rug cleaner used the dirt under the carpet and pad was shocking. Put down hard wood floors 1st and 2nd floor never noticed a noise problem. Stayed at POFQ rooms had lament floors appeared to be clean get my vote over carpet

PolynesianPrincess

We requested a top floor room at Pop for this very reason. It's bad enough people are loud outside the rooms, the last thing we want is someone being loud above us. We will be at Pop again in September and are again requesting the top floor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom