kubfish trip report Sept 12th -17th

There will be 3 parts to this, I swear I tried to condense it and this is the shortest I could get it. I will add the others two parts later when I am not so tired.

DISCLAIMER: Despite some of my negative comments, our vacation was really good and overall we had a great time. I wanted to point out the bad parts to help anyone that may be going soon and maybe they can use our mistakes/tips to help plan their vacations.

The Resort (Port Orleans Riverside)
Room: 3912 – Nice View of the “woods” – No traffic noise – Very quiet – 10m from food court – 5m from north depot – 15m from main (south?) depot – 10m from main pool, smaller pool nearby. To far IMO if you have kids but would be great with just the wife and I.

Mousekeeping was great, a new towel animal everyday, tons of towels TONS (tip your mouskeepers), the room was spotless everyday we returned.

Food Court – busy anytime we went, food quality was mixed; the burgers/nuggets line really bad, the Pizza/Italian really good and the desserts were just average.

Refillable Mugs, our room was too far to use, it made no sense to walk 10 min for a free soda. We purchased 2-liters and water from the store ($2.50) and kept them in the fridge.

A note about the buses, if they get full they will not stop at the other depots. In the morning we found it best to leave from the main depot outside the lobby.

Overall I really enjoyed POR, the atmosphere was great and I will stay here again. However, I want to be closer to the food court and main depot vs the north depot.

MGM (9/12)

We planned a ½ day here on the day we arrived. BIG mistake, we were so tired from the flight we had no energy at all. The kids were cranky as were we. After 3 hours in the park we called it quits and got some much needed rest. I think one of the best moves we made on our vacation.

Highlights/Favorites: TOT, LMA, Mermaid for DD4

What we missed(wanted to do)
: Fantasmic, Muppets 3d, Beauty and the Beast, Indy Show and when it re-opens RNR

Overall Impressions
: I was tired so take this with a grain. I was not impressed with The Studios at all, I had no problem leaving early to get some rest on this day. Had RNR been open my overall opinion may have been better. So I will give it an undecided for now.

Food: Dinner: CS at hotel

MK (9/13)
EMH day, we were on the rope for the drop. Pinocchio opened the park and our DS4/DS11 and DS13 were character magnets. Pinocchio giving a kiss on our DD4’s head was a great way to start the day and kick off our vacation.

Highlights/Favorites: Splash, Philharmagic, BTMR, PPan and of course Dumbo for DD4

: Nothing, toured all of Fantasyland and most of Adventure/Frontierland before our afternoon break on day1 of MK.

Food
:
Grabbed bfast to go at the hotel
CS for lunch at Pecos which was good
Dinner at 1900 (grand café while remodeling),
Characters: Cinderella, Prince C, Fairy GM and the 2 mice??
The look on my DS4’s face when she met Cinderella was priceless and alone made the trip worth it. The food??? I did not get the menu at all especially, for a character meal. Most kids too old for the kids menu were stuck with food they would never eat. Considering this is an activity for the kids, the menu made no sense.

Overall Impressions - thoughts:
I will only compare DL to DW two times in this report. They are both great parks and I made it a point to stop the kids anytime they tried to compare. Each park is unique and magical in its own way. However on this day, 2 rides stuck out as being so bad I wanted to comment. POTC and IASW are really bad, I don’t know if they lost the master plans on the trip to Florida, but both were disappointing. The DL versions are far superior and it’s sad that two Disney classics were butchered like this.

kubfish

Original Poster
This is part 2... Part 3 and conclusion later on today.

AK (9/14)
With the exception of DD4 this was the families favorite park. Arrived at the rope, DS11 was picked to help open the park which got us front row seats at the Lion King show.

Highlights/Favorites: EE, Lion King and Kahli

: ITTBAB(saw at DCA so not a big deal, however still wanted to see it), Jammin Jungle and Pangani Trail

Food:
Grabbed bfast to go at the hotel
CS for lunch at Resturantosaurus (cannot go wrong with McDonalds)
Dinner: We had reservations in DTD for dinner but we decided to spend some relaxing time at the pool, have some drinks and eat Pizza at the resort.

EE is now my personal favorite Disney ride. Everything about EE is pretty cool.

Scoring front row seats at the Lion King show got our DS11 and DS13 picked to be in the show and talk on the MIC (LOL DS11 shyer then we thought). Overall a great time and a park that is perfectly themed. If they add another land I can see this being a 1.5 day park.
One other comment, The Safaris experience I think completely depends on your driver. Ours had no energy, was not funny and just made the experience BLAH. I definitely want to try this again with a better driver.

MK (9/15)
Today was a weird day for our touring; we had a character bfast, had to jam over to MK for DD4’s BBB appointment and then had The Hoop Dee for Dinner.

Highlights/Favorites: Monsters INC, BBB, Hoop Dee Doo and Chef Mickey’s

: Nothing, we toured TomorrowLand, revisited some favorites from Day 1 at MK and hit the Mountains in Frontier.. WHAM WHAM

Food:
Bfast: Chef Mickey’s (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald) a buffet style that was good eating and a fun time to meet the main characters without lines.
Snack for lunch
Dinner: Hoop Dee Doo at the campgrounds. This was an awesome dinner. The kids loved it; we loved it and the end when utter chaos breaks out is perfect for this show. We will do this show anytime we visit WDW its well worth it. TIP: they gave us full pitchers of drinks so if you order soda expect a full pitcher on your table. Same goes with Beer or anything else. The keep brining you food/drinks until you tell them to stop.

Space at WDW is not as bad as what I read. It has its own spin, but is still a fun ride. I don’t get Buzz and the lines; they are just as bad in DL even with a FP it takes forever to get on this ride. I liked Buzz but the lines are crazy for this ride.

Okay the last comparison. CBJ was a train wreck here. What happened to my DL CBJ that I so miss?

Tomorrowland at WDW is awesome and really themed well.
MEMO to Disney stop giving away FP’s for Carousel of Progress. People don’t view it for a reason and extra FP tickets just kill’s trees.

H20Babie

Great trip report so far, and thanks for the tips! I love POR, and have also stayed in Building 39 for my honeymoon. It's a great location if, like you said, you have no kids.

Thanks, and looking forward to reading more!

kirksheppard

MEMO to Disney stop giving away FP’s for Carousel of Progress. People don’t view it for a reason and extra FP tickets just kill’s trees.

Shut up! Carousel of Progress is a great attraction and I think many people don't view it because they don't know what it is... Hopefully the FP's can generate some new interest in a classic attraction that Walt himself designed...

kubfish

Original Poster
Shut up! Carousel of Progress is a great attraction and I think many people don't view it because they don't know what it is... Hopefully the FP's can generate some new interest in a classic attraction that Walt himself designed...

:) LOL It just got annoyed and was being a Smart A* in my report. Everyone enjoys different rides and especially the classic's. I didn't say to remove the ride, rather I am not a fan of "tricky" advertising. When I first got my FP's at space and saw the extra ticket that said special FP "I was like WEHOOO!" that quickly turned to ....

As far as the COP. We didn't go on it this time and I haven't been since I was a kid. Maybe I should revisit it next trip :) Its been so long that maybe my tastes have changed to a point were I can appreciate it.

I worked all night and I need some :snore::snore::snore:. I will put the remainder of my report up tonight.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Nice report.

Have to agree with you on two points - MGM would be a nothing park if it weren't for TOT and RNR
AK is becoming a much better park - Everest is really :cool:

doop

Nice report so far, thanks for sharing.

PS: Disney isn't printing the CoP fastpasses to reduce wait times, but to promote the attraction.

kubfish

Original Poster
Alright the final part 3. I may put some pics in here later :) Don't mind my grammer/spelling on this - I have horrible grammar, this I know.

EP (9/16)
Opened the park, was at the rope with Mickey and Co. Was a great opening and again at the rope the characters paid a lot of attn to our kids. Mickey and Goofy both gave DD4 a peck on the head and she was loving life.

Highlights/Favorites: WS, Illuminations, Soarin and Turtle Talk

: Oh Canada, Energy …More time in WS.. SSE (refurb)

Food:
Grabbed a bfast snack at the park,
CS for lunch at?? it's the middle hub area in FW)
Dinner: San Angelo Inn. YUK if you like Mexican food this is not the place to go. The menu was bad, the food was worse and the service was pretty bad. This is a time were it would have been nice not to have gratuity in the DP. I love getting a table next to the only bathrooms in Mexico, so it was nice to eat and always have a trail of people going to them with their germs floating on my food. :) haha that part wasn’t bad but the food really was.

This is a tough one, I loved FW when I went as a kid. I still really like the theme/design of the entire FW area however I have mixed feelings about the attractions here.

WS, I wish we spent most of our Epcot day here. As a kid I hated it, this time I loved it – So peaceful to walk through the countries and check out all the shops. WS really turned a so/so opinion of Epcot to a very positive one. I will reserve my negative comments on the KIDCOT stations for another day.

MK (9/17) Last Day
With the younger DD4 and DS11 we decided to do three days at MK. Next time I will only do two. Today was HM or bust day...WOW, HM was great and in my list of top 7 attractions. I hope this is a sign of how all future refurbs will go at Disney parks.

We made today a pretty relaxing day. We hit the favorite rides of the family, took an early – longer break then came back, and strolled around Main Street. About an hour before Spectro were we staked our claim on the sidewalk and watched Spectro and Wishes.

Highlights/Favorites: HM, Spectro and Wishes.

: nothing we saw all we wanted to at MK

Food:
Grabbed a bfast to go at hotel,
CS for lunch Pecos again.
Dinner: CS at that MainS hot dog place. We grabbed food to go and ate on the sidewalk at our Spectro spot.

Spectro and Wishes were awesome. The first day at MK we ended up viewing Wishes from behind the castle in FantasyL. This day we watched on MainSt. No comparison... this show is meant to be watched from the front of the Castle and it makes a huge difference. Spectro was great however I remember and hold a spot in my heart for the MSEP.

Tips / Mistakes / Thoughts:
- No touring on arrival day after a 7 hr flight
- We did a great job of listening / paying attention to the kids. Any sign of cranky/tired action and we took a break. I feel this saved us a lot of grief later on.
- Be flexible. Although we had touring plans for every park, we were flexible enough to listen to everyone’s needs and wants.
- MGM – We started this off on the wrong foot, touring it on arrival day. I really want to give this park a better chance when we are not so tired.
- Kid Behavior – This may not come out right the way I say it…any discipline inconsistencies at home will be magnified 100% here. We learned from some of our own flaws in how we handle things at home. The DW and I have talked and we are working to be more consistent at home and are already seeing some positive changes. The kids were not horrible bad but every day we had some rough patches to contend with.
- We had ADR’s every day/night but only made it to 3, next time – No reservations near our 1-4 break time, reserve dinner in the park vs at another hotel and do a day away from the parks were we can make reservations for anywhere at WDW.

I wanted to clarify my POTC/IASW comments above. If you have never been to DL then these rides are nice, after knowing how they are, I know what to expect. Next time I can enjoy them for the WDW versions. CBJ on the other hand was a disaster and I will not watch it again.

WDW overall is HUGE, larger then I expected; we had a great time and reserved our vaca for next year. A once in a lifetime family trip may have changed to a once every year trip. (That said there still is a good possibility we will do DL this year, mainly because I love the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks and want to see it before it goes away.)

We missed DTD the water parks and so much - when people say you cannot possibly see everything I wasn't a believer until now. We have plenty of reasons to go back and that is awesome.

Just talking about it makes me want to go back right now. Minus the Humidity that is.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Alright the final part 3. I may put some pics in here later :) Don't mind my grammer/spelling on this - I have horrible grammar, this I know.
:lol:

Sorry, but I couldn't help noticing you proved your point by spelling the same word differently in the same sentence.

It's all good, despite what some say, this is an internet forum, not grade school. We're not marking you for grammar or spelling. You get criticism for content only, and your TR deserves high praise on that score. :D

- Kid Behavior – This may not come out right the way I say it…any discipline inconsistencies at home will be magnified 100% here. We learned from some of our own flaws in how we handle things at home. The DW and I have talked and we are working to be more consistent at home and are already seeing some positive changes. The kids were not horrible bad but every day we had some rough patches to contend with.
DS is always a bit surprised as we walk around the world... Every now and then, I'll give him a random hug and tell him how proud I am of him or just that I love him. Usually because I've just witnessed someone having 'rough patches' and I'm happy it's not us. Looks like you've learned what others often don't... You can't expect a child to behave a certain way in public that you haven't instilled in them at home. Trying to teach it at WDW is almost impossible, they're already on massive sensory overload.

Sounds like you had a great trip and handled the rough patches capably. When you go next year you and your family will be having lots more fun and even fewer of what didn't sound like major rough patches.

And I hope that came out a complimentary as I intended it. :D

kubfish

Original Poster
:lol:

Sorry, but I couldn't help noticing you proved your point by spelling the same word differently in the same sentence.

That was not intentional; I will leave it like that for the laugh and just tell everyone it was on purpose :)

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I agree with the kid points you made. We were pretty lax / inconsistent at home and it was really magnified here. It wasn't a complete disaster but enough to make for a few moments each day unbearable.

Especially the DS11/13 fighting, we "used" to take a.. they are just boys and separate them with the name calling/fighting. Now there are consequence's and we are already seeing a change between them at home.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That was not intentional; I will leave it like that for the laugh and just tell everyone it was on purpose :)

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I agree with the kid points you made. We were pretty lax / inconsistent at home and it was really magnified here. It wasn't a complete disaster but enough to make for a few moments each day unbearable.

Especially the DS11/13 fighting, we "used" to take a.. they are just boys and separate them with the name calling/fighting. Now there are consequence's and we are already seeing a change between them at home.
I was lucky, I learned the lesson when my wife and I separated. She was lax and I wasn't... Since then [it was '97], she has lost more and more control and I've been consistent. Same kid, two entirely different people depending on which parent he's with - it's really kind of amazing. Interestingly, when we were vacationing together, he was always well behaved and she was always surprised by it. :shrug:

mouselvrmom

Great trip report! I'm glad you had a good trip! Hope to see some pictures.

I'm so with you on the kids and discipline area. We have a DD3 who is just a bear and I'm really trying to be consistent with her screaming fits so that she is ready for DL in December. It may be tough now, but it would be much tougher there with all of those people looking on. Normally she is really good on a disney trip because there is so much to see and do that she forgets to throw fits, but I'm not taking any chances!

Lucky

Sounds like we had the same table, and maybe the same server, at San Angel Inn. Of our 9 TS experiences this trip, it rates last. It wasn't terrible, but if I had paid real money instead of free DDP, I'd have been unhappy.

kubfish

Original Poster
Sounds like we had the same table, and maybe the same server, at San Angel Inn. Of our 9 TS experiences this trip, it rates last. It wasn't terrible, but if I had paid real money instead of free DDP, I'd have been unhappy.

We had the table right as you turn right to the stairs towards the bathroom.. That first table next to the stairs on the right.

As far as food, worst mexican food I have had I my life. WORST hands down. Even bad mexican food here is at least edible.

Looking at the positive, maybe because I am in CA the food is more authentic and to my tastes are not used to that??? not sure

kubfish

Original Poster
BTW I will add some pics within the next two days on my days off...

Camera TiP #1
Do not use a micro camera

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom