Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

SJN1279

Half of that sounds good ;)

Personally, a microbudget revamp of Maelstrom doesn't entice me. I would have much rather Disney use one of the empty World Showcase expansion pads for an Arendale mini-land with a Frozen E-ticket, Olaf flat ride, maybe some historical info on other arctic regions (Scandinavia, Greenland, Antarctica, etc).

Universal's rumored slate is looking mighty fine for the next 5 years.
  1. Kong E-ticket
  2. Mystery coaster (fast-tracked for late 2016, according to OU insiders)
  3. M&G/show experience for Jurassic Park
  4. Fast and Furious - Supercharged (expanded version of what Uni Hollywood is getting)
  5. Jimmy Fallon-themed flight simulator to replace Twister
  6. A couple family attractions to replace current KidZone (SpongeBob and TMNT?)
That sounds a lot better than Frozen and Pandora to me. Of course, I won't pass a final judgment on either until I've experienced both :)

Outside of Kong, nothing on the Universal end sounds all that appealing. Especially the Jimmy Fallon simulator.....

mahnamahna101

SDMT is actually a good family coaster and where it is located is prefect. I can tell you from experience if you have small children you will spend the most time in Fantasy Land. SDMT is a solid ride for what and where it is. Little Mermaid???? I can take either side on the Fantasy Land redo, for the people with small children I think it works well for them. For adults looking for more thrill rides this has never been the place for you. If any place in MK lends it's self to thrill rides I would say Tomorrow Land is where they should be. Honestly when I look around MK the crowd in general is not in the kind of shape to actually ride thrill rides in my opinion.

Since WDW has four parks I would put the big thrill rides in DHS. Leave MK to the families and less thrill ride oriented people. Expand AK for the more nature oriented people and do something with Epcot. Epcot has the room for cool stuff along with some major thrill rides. If I was in charge that's what I would be doing not throwing big thrill rides into every park. What Disney is doing, who knows? They don't seem to have a clear game plan except for trying to get people to spend more money with Disney spending as little as possible. Also with four parks you can go after different crowds and then cater to those crowds, if one park isn't for you then there are three others to keep you busy as opposed to trying to make each park appeal to everyone. Kids, booze and high G-force rides don't mix well. Some 35 year old guy who lives in his mom's basement and worships Peter Pan is not going to be a rough and tumble guy, just saying.
MK already has plenty for kids/families. Only 4 attractions have a 40"+ height requirement. And only one ride in the park is a genuine thrill ride (Space Mountain).

I don't see why adding a few thrill rides ( 2 E-tickets for Tomorrowland - utilizes part of Speedway space and area behind it, Fire Mountain for Adventureland, Bald Mountain for Fantasyland) would necessarily hurt MK. If anything, it would convince adults who view WDW as kiddish that there's actually some attractions for them.

However, I would add a nice people-eating family dark ride to Frontierland since Big Thunder and Splash have 40" height requirements.

3-4 thrill rides would give MK some balance. DHS, AK, IOA and USF are the parks that need classic Disney-esque family attractions. MK and Epcot are accessible to most anyone, currently.

GLaDOS

So Universal is avoiding E-tickets with no height requirement? I thought Kong was all-ages.

No, not avoiding it. Kong will be "all ages" in the sense it probably won't have a height requirement, but it'll also be terrifying for kids, if I had to wager. They're just not aiming for the toddler set. Not saying they won't add things here and there for them, but no one at Universal Creative is saying, "We need to build our own Little Mermaid!"

Animaniac93-98

On the whole subject of what constitutes a family ride and the two companies strategies for them: There's a radio ad for Disneyland Paris playing nationally here at the moment. It states to "bring your kids to Disney before they're too old". That's verbatim. Honestly , thought it was bizarre and I'd love to know who conceived/approved it.

:eek: :banghead:

Didn't they just make a Youtube video about why DLP is fun for adults too?

mahnamahna101

No, not avoiding it. Kong will be "all ages" in the sense it probably won't have a height requirement, but it'll also be terrifying for kids, if I had to wager. They're just not aiming for the toddler set. Not saying they won't add things here and there for them, but no one at Universal Creative is saying, "We need to build our own Little Mermaid!"
Nor would I want them to :)

Universal thrives on fast-paced adventures that aren't necessarily appropriate for toddlers/preschoolers. I was just wondering if everyone would be permitted to ride Kong! Glad to know they won't lower the intensity to make moms happy.

However, each park could use 2-3 all ages, people-eaters so that little kids and older adults alike aren't restricted to only kiddie rides or shows. Hogwarts Express, Cat and E.T. are all perfect examples of the kind of family ride Universal should invest in.

Most of Disney's kid-friendly rides don't have the right amount of adult appeal. But I'd love to see Universal make a few equivalents to some of Disney's family rides with some adult appeal:
  1. Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  2. Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
  3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (DisneySea version)
  4. Mystic Manor
  5. Spaceship Earth
  6. The Great Movie Ride
  7. Jungle Cruise
  8. Journey to Imagination (original)
  9. Pirates of the Caribbean
  10. Haunted Mansion
  11. Kilimanjaro Safaris
  12. PeopleMover (I'd love it if they figured out a way to make Seuss Trolley all-ages while still maintaining that wide-open feel. It'll never happen though.)
  13. Horizons

Mike S

Original Poster
Pics from Orlando United. Looks like the top of the wall entrance is almost done.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

SJN1279

Nor would I want them to :)

Universal thrives on fast-paced adventures that aren't necessarily appropriate for toddlers/preschoolers. I was just wondering if everyone would be permitted to ride Kong! Glad to know they won't lower the intensity to make moms happy.

However, each park could use 2-3 all ages, people-eaters so that little kids and older adults alike aren't restricted to only kiddie rides or shows. Hogwarts Express, Cat and E.T. are all perfect examples of the kind of family ride Universal should invest in.

ET and Cat in the Hat unfortunately have height requirements. Hogwarts Express unfortunately requires a park hopper. Universal and IOA each need at least one entire family dark ride.

mahnamahna101

ET and Cat in the Hat unfortunately have height requirements. Hogwarts Express unfortunately requires a park hopper. Universal and IOA each need at least one entire family dark ride.
Agreed. 3-4 family attractions for each park would go a long way in lowering the perception of Universal as a highly-themed Six Flags (horrible comparison, but sadly, many make it...)

With ET and Cat, those can become all-ages in a relatively easy manner.

ET used to have spaceship vehicles everyone could ride. So whenever Universal Creative gives E.T. its much needed overhaul/upgrade, they could offer two different ride vehicles. One is the all-ages spaceship that allows infant/toddler lap sitting. The other is the typical bikes with a 34" height requirement.

Cat just needs to be overhauled, so the story doesn't heavily depend on spinning. The ride in its current state is lackluster because it was purposely designed for fast-paced jerks and turns. With new programming and better effects, the new Cat can be all-ages and provide a better experience.

I do question calling a 34"/36" height requirement non-family, because the average 2.5 yr old is 34" :confused:

mvieguy

Agreed. 3-4 family attractions for each park would go a long way in lowering the perception of Universal as a highly-themed Six Flags (horrible comparison, but sadly, many make it...)

With ET and Cat, those can become all-ages in a relatively easy manner.

ET used to have spaceship vehicles everyone could ride. So whenever Universal Creative gives E.T. its much needed overhaul/upgrade, they could offer two different ride vehicles. One is the all-ages spaceship that allows infant/toddler lap sitting. The other is the typical bikes with a 34" height requirement.

Cat just needs to be overhauled, so the story doesn't heavily depend on spinning. The ride in its current state is lackluster because it was purposely designed for fast-paced jerks and turns. With new programming and better effects, the new Cat can be all-ages and provide a better experience.

I do question calling a 34"/36" height requirement non-family, because the average 2.5 yr old is 34" :confused:

Wait what? when did ET have Spaceship Vehicles. they have always, since the attraction opened, used bikes. the Ride is fine by itself and does not need to be tweeked. there is always a line. and kids still love it. it does not need to be changed.

mahnamahna101

Wait what? when did ET have Spaceship Vehicles. they have always, since the attraction opened, used bikes. the Ride is fine by itself and does not need to be tweeked. there is always a line. and kids still love it. it does not need to be changed.
Someone either here or at OU mentioned there used to be a special spaceship vehicle used for those who didn't meet the 34" height requirement.
https://books.google.com/books?id=v...e.t. adventure spaceship ride vehicle&f=false

That link mentions E.T.'s orbs.

What's wrong with taking an already tame ride and adding alternate RVs so that infants/toddlers can also ride? There would still be bicycles for everyone else.

E.T. needs some love... it does need some enhancements to its facade and probably a relocation for the queue/entrance if the KidZone revamp doesn't incorporate it.

Knothead

The spaceships were in addition to the bikes.

Oriolesmagic

One thing that I was thinking about the other day was the insane ratio of attractions based on IPs Universal has compared to its original attractions. Disney has a great deal of attractions that aren't related to movies and/or TV shows but nearly every attraction at Universal is tied to one. I thought it was rather fascinating that Disney gets ridiculed consistently for making attractions based on movies whereas Universal does it to the enjoyment of its fans, typically.

I could only think of 3 original attractions at Universal/IOA:

Poseidon's Fury
Sinbad (Kind of)
Disaster

Are there any others? Sure, there was more when Lost Continent was still a thing, but still, that's a rather crazy thing to think about.

Mike S

Original Poster
One thing that I was thinking about the other day was the insane ratio of attractions based on IPs Universal has compared to its original attractions. Disney has a great deal of attractions that aren't related to movies and/or TV shows but nearly every attraction at Universal is tied to one. I thought it was rather fascinating that Disney gets ridiculed consistently for making attractions based on movies whereas Universal does it to the enjoyment of its fans, typically.

Poseidon's Fury
Sinbad (Kind of)
Disaster

Are there any others? Sure, there was more when Lost Continent was still a thing, but still, that's a rather crazy thing to think about.
Universal has always been about IP's from the beginning so it's no surprise there, it's expected. Disney however has built a reputation of making great attractions that weren't tied to any IP (IASW, HM, PoTC, etc). That's the difference.

Oriolesmagic

Universal has always been about IP's from the beginning so it's no surprise there, it's expected. Disney however has built a reputation of making great attractions that weren't tied to any IP (IASW, HM, PoTC, etc). That's the difference.

I completely understand that. It just kind of blew me away when I really started to think about how few there were in those parks.

lazyboy97o

Poseidon's Fury
Sinbad (Kind of)
Disaster

I think I would completely forget about The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad (and why is it a kind of?) before I forgot about the massive, in-your-face Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom